Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    Good Enough EJC's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.30.04
    Age
    44
    Location
    Ocean County, NJ
    Posts
    1,889
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 01:24 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 732 Times in 296 Posts

    Default Wolfgang Question

    So I want to pull the trigger on a Wolfgang this week. I sold my 2 Peavey's awhile back and would kinda like to buy an EVH as I'm at a different place in my life than I was with the Peaveys. So I can pickup a either MIC or MIJ (I don't know which it is) for $600, or a MIM Special for 1k. Probably going TOM vs Floyd, as I don't like trems. Any opinions either way? I know the basic differences, frets, etc. just wondering if anyone has both and could say one is that much better than the other. Thanks!
    ~Eric
    https://www.reverbnation.com/kingslevel1
    https://twitter.com/kingslevel1
    New EP "Awakening" out on Amazon, Spotify, Google, iTunes 122117

  2. #2
    Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.29.03
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,974
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 02:44 PM
    Likes
    2,612
    Liked 2,858 Times in 1,069 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    I previously owned a MIJ EVH, and currently own both a Peavey and a MIM EVH.

    The MIM EVH will fit in nicely if you were used to the Peaveys. The only thing I preferred about the MIJ guitars were the pickups and fret material, but the fret size and arch top make up for that. IMO the MIM Specials just felt classier, largely due to the arch top.

    I recently played one of the new Standards, and while it was a very nice guitar for the money I think the Special will perform better for you in the long run. It's worth the extra investment. The forearm contour and tummy cut were welcome additions though.

  3. #3
    Hot For Teacher maltiero's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.22.14
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    252
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Little Guitars, Dreams
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Likes
    179
    Liked 168 Times in 75 Posts

    Default

    I would say either the MIJ or the MIM. I had a special ht MIC and it was a good guitar, but I've heard the others were/are better.

  4. #4
    Good Enough EJC's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.30.04
    Age
    44
    Location
    Ocean County, NJ
    Posts
    1,889
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 01:24 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 732 Times in 296 Posts

    Default

    Thanks guys... After reading in another thread that the MIC Wolfs are being blown out, I found a Tobacco Burst w/case new for $550 online. Ordered that one, should be here tomorrow. Now I may get a MIM as well...
    https://www.reverbnation.com/kingslevel1
    https://twitter.com/kingslevel1
    New EP "Awakening" out on Amazon, Spotify, Google, iTunes 122117

  5. #5
    Good Enough nobozos's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.16.00
    Location
    Pekin, Il U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,748
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 08:46 AM
    Likes
    22
    Liked 728 Times in 345 Posts

    Default

    I think you be happy with the MIC Wolfgang. I'm assuming you are picking up the Stop Tail version? If you did, there is a pretty significant difference between the MIM TOM Special and the MIC/MIJ Special Stop Tail. The new TOM Special is like the old Wolfgang Stop Tails, using a traditional Les Paul style Tune-o-Matic. The MIC/MIJ Specials had a Floyd Rose locking nut, and the Stop Tailpiece was a Schaller Fine Tuner type. I was really sorry to see that option go away on the new MIM Stop Tail models.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

  6. #6
    Eruption
    Join Date
    03.20.04
    Posts
    1,374
    Last Online

    06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Likes
    207
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

    Default

    sorry but this is all sad to me. all these cheap, and i don't only mean price, versions of this guitar. the music man was a really great instrument. the peaveys were too, until the end. the usa EVH's again pretty solid but now its like, just pathetic and ruins the brand. of course only my opinion. but someone like EVH should not sell anything with his name on it thats not pure quality. just my 2 cents.

  7. #7
    Emperor of VHLinks.com Brett's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.02.99
    Age
    46
    Location
    Somewhere Near LA
    Posts
    68,719
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 08:43 AM
    Likes
    1,264
    Liked 11,577 Times in 4,934 Posts

    Default Wolfgang Question

    Quote Originally Posted by tommytom11 View Post
    sorry but this is all sad to me. all these cheap, and i don't only mean price, versions of this guitar. the music man was a really great instrument. the peaveys were too, until the end. the usa EVH's again pretty solid but now its like, just pathetic and ruins the brand. of course only my opinion. but someone like EVH should not sell anything with his name on it thats not pure quality. just my 2 cents.
    I totally agree. But now his stuff is accessible to everyone and I think he wanted to do that. Not sure that's a business plan I agree with but it is Ed's choice. I think that's why I have no interest in these cheap Wolfgangs. If I want an EVH guitar, I want the best.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

    JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

  8. #8
    Good Enough EJC's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.30.04
    Age
    44
    Location
    Ocean County, NJ
    Posts
    1,889
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 01:24 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 732 Times in 296 Posts

    Default

    This is a business venture for Ed. He (and Fender) want to make the most $$$ possible. There isn't a real big market for $2000+ guitars. Sure he could demand all his shit is completely USA made, but he would not sell enough guitars to justify Fender financing an entire brand name for him.
    https://www.reverbnation.com/kingslevel1
    https://twitter.com/kingslevel1
    New EP "Awakening" out on Amazon, Spotify, Google, iTunes 122117

  9. #9
    Emperor of VHLinks.com Brett's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.02.99
    Age
    46
    Location
    Somewhere Near LA
    Posts
    68,719
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 08:43 AM
    Likes
    1,264
    Liked 11,577 Times in 4,934 Posts

    Default

    I agree with that too.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

    JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

  10. #10
    Good Enough EJC's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.30.04
    Age
    44
    Location
    Ocean County, NJ
    Posts
    1,889
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 01:24 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 732 Times in 296 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I totally agree. But now his stuff is accessible to everyone and I think he wanted to do that. Not sure that's a business plan I agree with but it is Ed's choice. I think that's why I have no interest in these cheap Wolfgangs. If I want an EVH guitar, I want the best.
    And I agree as well, but it's just where we are in manufacturing at this point. I don't expect a $500 Wolf to play like my old Peavey's did or an EBMM. But I'm sure it will suffice for what I need it for. I have a good amount of disposable income, but I have to say even if someone wrote me a check for ten million dollars, I would never drop 3k on a guitar ever. I have guitars that I've picked up off craigslist for $100 and change that blow away American Fenders...
    https://www.reverbnation.com/kingslevel1
    https://twitter.com/kingslevel1
    New EP "Awakening" out on Amazon, Spotify, Google, iTunes 122117

  11. #11
    Emperor of VHLinks.com Brett's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.02.99
    Age
    46
    Location
    Somewhere Near LA
    Posts
    68,719
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 08:43 AM
    Likes
    1,264
    Liked 11,577 Times in 4,934 Posts

    Default Wolfgang Question

    Dude me too. I'm with you man. I'd rather build my own shit for $500 than drop $3k on a guitar that I can make play like I want it. And that's what I do.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

    JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

  12. #12
    Eruption
    Join Date
    03.20.04
    Posts
    1,374
    Last Online

    06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Likes
    207
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I totally agree. But now his stuff is accessible to everyone and I think he wanted to do that. Not sure that's a business plan I agree with but it is Ed's choice. I think that's why I have no interest in these cheap Wolfgangs. If I want an EVH guitar, I want the best.

    truth. we are on the same page Brett

  13. #13
    Sinner's Swing! evhintexas's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.12.11
    Age
    49
    Location
    Tx
    Posts
    3,039
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Push comes to shove
    Last Online

    12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Likes
    1,425
    Liked 1,107 Times in 675 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    I bought a cheap EVH Standard the other day---comparing it to the 2 USA Wolfs I have---body and neck are very solid--a little cheaper quality but no big deal. It is the all the electronics which need to be upgraded and then it would be a very solid instrument.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

  14. #14
    Good Enough nobozos's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.16.00
    Location
    Pekin, Il U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,748
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 08:46 AM
    Likes
    22
    Liked 728 Times in 345 Posts

    Default

    I agree in principle with what you guys are saying. The new EVH Special stuff is only a shadow of what the EBMM/EVH was. If we are talking about the 1st Generation of the EVH Wolf Special (Fender), you could argue that the features were better than the offerings available from Peavey in the Special line, but they weren't up to the level of the Peavey Standard Wolf. If we're talking USA EVH Wolfgangs (Fender), They seem to be every bit as good as the Peavey Standards, and have some added features. That being said, I will never own one, because I refuse to pay that kind of money for the Fender version, when I can get a used EBMM/EVH for the same amount or cheaper.

    While I agree that the current lineup isn't what the EVH brand used to be in years past, I think you may be missing the point a little bit. You are comparing todays EVH offerings to what the brand once was, and not to what is out there today. I don't think you are ever going to top the original for build quality, tone and playability. Peavey, I'm not so excited about after the first 3 years of production.

    I think there are a couple things that those of us who have been with Eddies guitars from the beginning have a hard time getting over. First, we had it drummed into our heads in the beginning that the whole reason Eddie started making his Signature guitars was because he wanted to produce a high quality instrument to play, and offer the exact same instrument to players who wanted to buy it. This is back when, "This is what I use." actually meant something. The idea that if Eddie needed a guitar for a gig, he could walk into any music store that sold his instruments and gig with that guitar. He carried the same mentality when he began with Peavey too, so the first few years of the Peavey run were very high quality too. As big of a deal as Eddie himself made about this, and about having his gear manufactured in the USA, it's understandable why the current state of the EVH gear line is so discouraging to some.

    I think the second thing we have a hard time getting over is the feeling of exclusivity we had using Eddie's gear, especially in the beginning. If you had an EBMM/EVH guitar back in the day when they came out, you were the shit. You were playing something not everyone else had or could afford to have. You were using serious gear for serious players. Nowadays, you hear some 15 year old kid talking about his Wolfgang that he just got at Guitar Center, and it's one of the $500 Indonesian Standards. It makes you sad, because you know what the initials "EVH" on something used to mean.

    I've owned EBMM, Peavey, and Charvel Striped guitars, and I can honestly say that the MIC Wolf Special I have is a really good guitar. It's not to the quality of the EBMM, or the original Peavey Wolf Standard, but I'm not embarrassed to play it. It's just what I own right now. I'm also not taking offense to what anyone has said about them, and agree to a point.
    Last edited by nobozos; 06.09.15 at 07:33 AM.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

  15. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  16. #15
    Sinner's Swing! evhintexas's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.12.11
    Age
    49
    Location
    Tx
    Posts
    3,039
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Push comes to shove
    Last Online

    12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Likes
    1,425
    Liked 1,107 Times in 675 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    I agree in principle with what you guys are saying. The new EVH Special stuff is only a shadow of what the EBMM/EVH was. If we are talking about the 1st Generation of the EVH Wolf Special (Fender), you could argue that the features were better than the offerings available from Peavey in the Special line, but they weren't up to the level of the Peavey Standard Wolf. If we're talking USA EVH Wolfgangs (Fender), They seem to be every bit as good as the Peavey Standards, and have some added features. That being said, I will never own one, because I refuse to pay that kind of money for the Fender version, when I can get a used EBMM/EVH for the same amount or cheaper.

    While I agree that the current lineup isn't what the EVH brand used to be in years past, I think you may be missing the point a little bit. You are comparing todays EVH offerings to what the brand once was, and not to what is out there today. I don't think you are ever going to top the original for build quality, tone and playability. Peavey, I'm not so excited about after the first 3 years of production.

    I think there are a couple things that those of us who have been with Eddies guitars from the beginning have a hard time getting over. First, we had it drummed into our heads in the beginning that the whole reason Eddie started making his Signature guitars was because he wanted to produce a high quality instrument to play, and offer the exact same instrument to players who wanted to buy it. This is back when, "This is what I use." actually meant something. The idea that if Eddie needed a guitar for a gig, he could walk into any music store that sold his instruments and gig with that guitar. He carried the same mentality when he began with Peavey too, so the first few years of the Peavey run were very high quality too. As big of a deal as Eddie himself made about this, and about having his gear manufactured in the USA, it's understandable why the current state of the EVH gear line is so discouraging to some.

    I thing the second thing we have a hard time getting over is the feeling of exclusivity we had using Eddie's gear, especially in the beginning. If you had an EBMM/EVH guitar back in the day when they came out, you were the shit. You were playing something not everyone else had or could afford to have. You were using serious gear for serious players. Nowadays, you hear some 15 year old kid talking about his Wolfgang that he just got at Guitar Center, and it's one of the $500 Indonesian Standards. It makes you sad, because you know what the initials "EVH" on something used to mean.

    I've owned EBMM, Peavey, and Charvel Striped guitars, and I can honestly say that the MIC Wolf Special I have is a really good guitar. It's not to the quality of the EBMM, or the original Peavey Wolf Standard, but I'm not embarrassed to play it. It's just what I own right now. I'm also not taking offense to what anyone has said about them, and agree to a point.
    This
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. wolfgang exp question
    By VH51504 in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05.04.13, 09:11 AM
  2. Wolfgang Headstock Question
    By stephenjay21 in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05.03.11, 11:26 AM
  3. Wolfgang wiring question
    By GoKart Mozart in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10.15.10, 10:12 AM
  4. Another wolfgang question please!..
    By al3d in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02.02.10, 09:14 AM
  5. Wolfgang Question
    By TopJoey in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01.23.09, 01:01 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •