Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:08 PM
    Liked 11,719 Times in 6,493 Posts

Premium Member

Default Patrick Stewart Comes Out in Support of Christian Bakers Convicted of Discrimination

Star Trek” and “X-Men” star Sir Patrick Stewart told BBC’s “Newsnight” this week that he’s siding with the owners of a bakery in Northern Ireland who were recently convicted of discrimination after refusing to make a cake with a message supporting gay marriage.

Stewart, who quipped that the gay cake debate is a “deliciously difficult subject,” said that he found himself on the side of Ashers Baking Company and its Christian owners, Colin and Karen McArthur, due to some key details in the ongoing controversy.

“It was not because it was a gay couple that they objected — it was not because they were celebrating some kind of marriage or an agreement between them,” he said. “It was the actual words on the cake that they objected to, because they found the words offensive.”

The actor continued, “And I would support their rights to say, ‘No, this is personally offensive to my beliefs. I will not do it.’”

As TheBlaze previously reported, Ashers Baking Company, which is being supported by the Christian Institute, a U.K. legal group, will appeal a recent court ruling that demanded that the company pay $765 in damages for “injury to feelings” to a gay activist.

Brownlie ruled that Ashers Baking Company had discriminated based on sexual orientation and political beliefs after a man named Gareth Lee asked for a cake that included the line “Support Gay Marriage” and the bakery declined.

“After much careful and prayerful consideration given to legal advice, we have decided to appeal the judgment handed down last Tuesday,” the family said in a statement issued last Thursday. “We continue to insist that we have done nothing wrong as we have discriminated against no individual but rather acted according to what the Bible teaches regarding marriage.”

The McArthur family said that the judge’s ruling seems to trample Christian ideals and that it will have a negative impact on society.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pe...-10296738.html

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015...marriage-cake/
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 6,666 Times in 3,694 Posts

does anyone know if this was an activist searching out for a christian baker to make a point? I really don't like this stuff getting to courts. What an insane waste of time and resources. Either bake the cake or if you're that personally uncomfortable with it then kindly explain why not and refer them to someone who will. And to the customer take your businesss elsewhere and understand the spot that person is in. This shoudn't be hard. It's like we go searching for problems in this world.

3. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:31 PM
    Liked 6,968 Times in 5,004 Posts

Premium Member

"Engage!!!" - STTNG.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:38 AM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

It's a Deliciously difficult subject.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:18 PM
    Liked 304 Times in 225 Posts

Make it so.

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    does anyone know if this was an activist searching out for a christian baker to make a point? I really don't like this stuff getting to courts. What an insane waste of time and resources. Either bake the cake or if you're that personally uncomfortable with it then kindly explain why not and refer them to someone who will. And to the customer take your businesss elsewhere and understand the spot that person is in. This shoudn't be hard. It's like we go searching for problems in this world.
    When I first caught wind of this story on the radio a while back, I had tuned in a bit late, and when I heard the dialogue, I automatically assumed this was a Vancouver B.C. story!
    This is the kind of stuff that has the BC Human Rights Tribunal's docket crammed full for the next 3 years.
    I'm like you...I hate that this stuff gets to the courts. It's a complete waste of time.
    Sure...Maybe the bakery owners may have been more careful in how they refused to do it, but in this day and age, their religious freedom/rights are going to be bulldozered under because they took on the whole gay rights movement by their actions.

It's a foregone conclusion how this will turn out. Unfortunately they are standing up for a belief that isn't recognized anymore. On the other hand, It would be interesting if these bakeshop owners were Muslim. Strangely, I think it would be tougher to call.

Like I've said before...I'm not particularily religious, but there just seems to be such a hate on toward Christianity/religion, but in reality it seems more and more that Christian freedom is attacked more for the spectacle of being "progressive".

Not to deviate here, but I could care less if someone is gay, or straight, Muslim, or Christian.....and I know there are plenty of people who do take issue with certain beliefs, or way of life, but I don't see how taking this kind of issue helps anything. If anything, it just polarizes more.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 6,666 Times in 3,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    When I first caught wind of this story on the radio a while back, I had tuned in a bit late, and when I heard the dialogue, I automatically assumed this was a Vancouver B.C. story!
    This is the kind of stuff that has the BC Human Rights Tribunal's docket crammed full for the next 3 years.
    I'm like you...I hate that this stuff gets to the courts. It's a complete waste of time.
    Sure...Maybe the bakery owners may have been more careful in how they refused to do it, but in this day and age, their religious freedom/rights are going to be bulldozered under because they took on the whole gay rights movement by their actions.

It's a foregone conclusion how this will turn out. Unfortunately they are standing up for a belief that isn't recognized anymore. On the other hand, It would be interesting if these bakeshop owners were Muslim. Strangely, I think it would be tougher to call.

Like I've said before...I'm not particularily religious, but there just seems to be such a hate on toward Christianity/religion, but in reality it seems more and more that Christian freedom is attacked more for the spectacle of being "progressive".

Not to deviate here, but I could care less if someone is gay, or straight, Muslim, or Christian.....and I know there are plenty of people who do take issue with certain beliefs, or way of life, but I don't see how taking this kind of issue helps anything. If anything, it just polarizes more.
    i think you're completely right. I get particuarly annoyed with these cases because I'm Catholic. I don't like people hiding behind religion to be bigots and I think that's what is happening in many of these cases. That said, you could go to another baker. If it's the only baker in town well now I think we have a different situation but that's not the situation. So as far as I'm concerened there's no damages so it should never get to court.

I just wish people would learn to treat each other with respect though. A man can dream.