Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

Default "MY INTERVIEW WITH EDDIE VAN HALEN" by Steve Rosen

Read the story or watch the video

http://community.rock.com/m/blogpost...ogPost%3A20752

ROCK STAR
    My Interview With Eddie Van Halen
    by Steve Rosen
    May 22, 2012

This latest installment of the ongoing audio blogs is something a bit different. Back in 1978, I first met Eddie Van Halen. Their first album had just been released and they were playing at A Day On the Green, a huge outdoor concert put on by promoter Bill Graham. The shows began in 1973 and on July 23, 1978 the third concert series that year was held. The bands performing that day included Aerosmith, Foreigner, Pat Travers, AC/DC and Van Halen. My photographer friend Neil Zlozower introduced me to Edward and I remember him as being very friendly and excitable.

Several months later, Edward came over to my place in Laurel Canyon to do what would become the first of many in person interviews. We realized we lived pretty close to one another—he lived about a 10-minute car ride over the hill in Coldwater Canyon—and he wanted to come over and talk and play me the music from what would become Van Halen II. He pulled up in his car—hard to remember what he was driving at the time—knocked on the door and the first thing we did was go back to his car to listen to the new tracks. This was still the cassette era so he popped in a tape and began playing the music tracks from this yet unreleased second album. There were no vocals on it and as each song played through, Ed would point out little guitar things he was doing and tap out the rhythms to the songs on my leg.

After the tape was over we went back in the house. Ed had brought over one of his multi-striped Strats—I didn’t even know he was bringing a guitar—and I pulled out this ’67 Fender Strat that I had. And that’s what you’re listening to: Eddie Van Halen messing around on guitar in a very candid and unrehearsed moment For about 25 minutes or so before we actually began the interview, Ed was just noodling around on the guitars, playing riffs from the songs and fielding questions from me about how he did certain things. There are moments when you can hear me butchering some lick, trying to play what Ed has just shown me. I sound so bad—like some pathetic little bee buzzing around the strings—and I can recall at the time how horrible I sounded.

But that’s the thing about Ed—he didn’t care. He just loved playing the guitar. When he’d show me something and I try and try to play it, he didn’t discourage me or make me feel like a moron. He just waited there, watched my embarrassing attempts at copping a phrase, and didn’t say anything. Later, I’d go up to his house and he’d hand me one of his guitars while he picked up a bass and say, “Let’s jam.” That was ridiculous. I tried to tell myself, “Don’t overthink this. It’s no big deal. You’re playing guitar in front of Edward Van Halen while he plays bass.” Every instinct in me railed against the idea and my brain wanted to shut down what my hands were doing. I wanted to put down the guitar and just say, “Ed, I can’t do this.” That would have made Ed mad. When you deferred to him or made him seem like something special, that irritated him. For Ed, it was just jamming. The fact that I was—at best—a workmanlike guitar player meant nothing to him.

So if you listen this blog you’ll hear Eddie Van Halen playing some of the riffs from the second album. At times he’s playing his own guitar and then he’ll pick up my Strat and it’s just amazing to hear how he always sounds like himself. I’d pick up Ed’s guitar and I still sounded like me. We played through a little Fender amp I had and you can hear him remarking about how some of the stuff sounds better when it’s played loud. What doesn’t? There’s a little section in here where I ask him about Les Paul. About six years later, Ed would be inducted in the Rock Walk of Fame at the famous Guitar Center on Sunset Boulevard and have his hands placed in cement. Les Paul would also be inducted during that inaugural presentation and I’d have the distinct honor of bringing Ed and Les together for a rare interview.

The final seconds of this excerpt are a bit clipped but you can hear Ed say, “Actually I hate doin’ interviews.” In fact, we’d go on to have a wonderful conversation in the first of what would become a yearly ritual.

Note: The picture above was taken at that Day On the Green festival. We're standing on this basketball court that had been set up for the performers.
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

"Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and I´ve got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

2. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 147 Times in 87 Posts

Thanks for posting. I've heard it before but it never gets old.

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:18 PM
    Liked 1,391 Times in 763 Posts

That dude was super tight with Ed, and then he explained that one day Ed stopped calling and he hasn't had any contact since those days. He was the go to guy for EVH interviews in the early 80s. Jas Obrecht ruled the late 70s.
    Little Dreamer

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 2,028 Times in 1,265 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    That dude was super tight with Ed, and then he explained that one day Ed stopped calling and he hasn't had any contact since those days. He was the go to guy for EVH interviews in the early 80s. Jas Obrecht ruled the late 70s.
    Didn't they go to some event, and then he got mad cuz Ed went off some other people as soon as they got their? When Ed returned to the hotel room Rosen was pouting about it.
    I'm sure Ed was like, screw this dude.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 2,028 Times in 1,265 Posts

Yeah, this is a classic that never gets old.

Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies & Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:54 AM
    Liked 5,127 Times in 2,425 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    Didn't they go to some event, and then he got mad cuz Ed went off some other people as soon as they got their? When Ed returned to the hotel room Rosen was pouting about it.
    I'm sure Ed was like, screw this dude.
    think you're right.. Rosen got jealous and pouty or something ...

http://www.vhnd.com/2014/07/09/a-bou...ith-van-halen/

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, ADKOT
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:29 PM
    Liked 444 Times in 246 Posts

Am I wrong about something? He says they met in '78 at Day On The Green, then several months later they got together because they lived close to each other. Ed lived off Coldwater Canyon. Although Ed didn't live there until he married Val. Him and Al lived with Mom and Dad in Pasadena those first 3 albums.

Not a big deal. Just seems odd.
    Last edited by Rod Dangle; 06.04.15 at 01:26 AM.
    M*U*L*E

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:24 PM
    Liked 732 Times in 296 Posts

I love how LOUD his playing is when the amp isn't even on. This is where the tone comes from. Ed has so much power in his hands he is making an electric sound like an acoustic guitar.
    https://www.reverbnation.com/kingslevel1
    https://twitter.com/kingslevel1
    New EP "Awakening" out on Amazon, Spotify, Google, iTunes 122117

12. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 12:29 PM
    Liked 6,988 Times in 5,021 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    I love how LOUD his playing is when the amp isn't even on. This is where the tone comes from. Ed has so much power in his hands he is making an electric sound like an acoustic guitar.
    Yeah, his hands are just like machines! He's got a strong set of paws for sure.

I thought I read that a lot of the time, when he was practicing at home, that he wasn't even plugged in? Just noodling acoustically is a good exercise for building strength and muscle memory in your hands and arms.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

14. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,355 Times in 3,194 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    theres a reason he's the king.

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 12:22 PM
    Liked 16,601 Times in 9,416 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    theres a reason he's the king.
    I thought this guy was the king ...

"It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

17. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

"Ohhhh Jimmmaayyy!"

Now I'm in the mood to pop in 1984... Not that I ever need much coaxing
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 2,802 Times in 1,451 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    Yeah, his hands are just like machines! He's got a strong set of paws for sure.

I thought I read that a lot of the time, when he was practicing at home, that he wasn't even plugged in? Just noodling acoustically is a good exercise for building strength and muscle memory in your hands and arms.
    I read someone's comment who met Eddie that his grip is like iron when you shake his hand because he's constantly playing. That might be from piano since it's his right hand though.

I almost never play through my amp at home....too lazy to hook it up except for shows. Luckily my guitar is loud enough to play along with Youtube videos and such for learning songs.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harpospoke View Post
    I read someone's comment who met Eddie that his grip is like iron when you shake his hand because he's constantly playing. That might be from piano since it's his right hand though.

I almost never play through my amp at home....too lazy to hook it up except for shows. Luckily my guitar is loud enough to play along with Youtube videos and such for learning songs.
    Right on, about the right hand/piano thing. Or Ed's done a LOT of table tray types of noodling! Haha

Always wondered about that though - Billy Sheehan said that when you shake Ed's hand, that it's pretty much in the shape it is when he's playing guitar. ???
    That would be his right hand, right? Unless Eddie's a Boy Scout...

21. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 12:22 PM
    Liked 16,601 Times in 9,416 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    "Ohhhh Jimmmaayyy!"

Now I'm in the mood to pop in 1984... Not that I ever need much coaxing
    As we all know, "Jump", "Panama" and "Hot For Teacher" have been played to death over the last 31 years, but "1984" is, IMO, basically a perfect album. I never skip any of the songs when I play it.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

23. The Following 4 Members Like This Post: