Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Save
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Last Online

08.18.19 @ 04:33 PM
    Liked 1,782 Times in 758 Posts

Living in NJ for a good part of my adult life, I always thought Sambora was a bit underrated as a player. He's also a pretty good singer. If he happened to be in Dokken or Ratt, he prob would have been taken more seriously. Keep the Faith is def my fave album of his. My only issue is that the times I saw BJ live, it was such a scripted down to the second show, that it really left Sambora no room to showcase his playing. Everything was note for note in every song. The shows were boring and sort of like just listening to the CD. Anyway, those strats are cool. Always liked the star inlays. Good luck with it...

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

08.20.19 @ 04:39 PM
    Liked 8,974 Times in 6,445 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    Living in NJ for a good part of my adult life, I always thought Sambora was a bit underrated as a player. He's also a pretty good singer. If he happened to be in Dokken or Ratt, he prob would have been taken more seriously. Keep the Faith is def my fave album of his. My only issue is that the times I saw BJ live, it was such a scripted down to the second show, that it really left Sambora no room to showcase his playing. Everything was note for note in every song. The shows were boring and sort of like just listening to the CD. Anyway, those strats are cool. Always liked the star inlays. Good luck with it...
    Right on! Richie is a better player and singer than many realise, because of the preconceived notion of what Bon Jovi is supposedly all about. His solo material and his outside projects have a lot more layers and depth to them IMO.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Premium Member

*Build update*

I just bought a white DiMarzio PAF Pro, F spaced with chrome polepieces, off of eBay.
    Also just ordered the following from Warmoth;

Custom pickguard, 5 way switch, Fender style sink jackplate and input assembly, Gotoh tuners, strap buttons, neck plate cover, neck and pickguard screws, string retainer.

Still need two single coil Texas Special pickups, Floyd Rose trem and nut, 500k and 200k volume and tone pots.

Like I said, I'll order the body and neck when the weather warms up...

Question for the builders on here;
    I'm on the fence about shielding the cavities properly. Warmoth has copper tape listed in their supplies, but I also see tons of ads online for electronic shielding paint, which to me seems lighter and more user friendly.... Thoughts?
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Zero thru FW
    Favorite VH Song

One Sky Control Movies
    Last Online

08.18.19 @ 07:30 PM
    Liked 715 Times in 459 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    *Build update*

I just bought a white DiMarzio PAF Pro, F spaced with chrome polepieces, off of eBay.
    Also just ordered the following from Warmoth;

Custom pickguard, 5 way switch, Fender style sink jackplate and input assembly, Gotoh tuners, strap buttons, neck plate cover, neck and pickguard screws, string retainer.

Still need two single coil Texas Special pickups, Floyd Rose trem and nut, 500k and 200k volume and tone pots.

Like I said, I'll order the body and neck when the weather warms up...

Question for the builders on here;
    I'm on the fence about shielding the cavities properly. Warmoth has copper tape listed in their supplies, but I also see tons of ads online for electronic shielding paint, which to me seems lighter and more user friendly.... Thoughts?

Cool!
    Wait a minute, I thought you had a special RS neck plate already.
    Or did see that somewhere else?

With the paint, you still need the tape on the pick guard to complete the circuit.
    If you're steady handed with an exacto knife, go with the tape.
    But if you're impatient and nervous, go with the paint.

Sorry if that didn't help. But here's a good source though;

http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_E...ics/Shielding/
    Why behave in public...if you're livin' on a playground !

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
    Cool!
    Wait a minute, I thought you had a special RS neck plate already.
    Or did see that somewhere else?

With the paint, you still need the tape on the pick guard to complete the circuit.
    If you're steady handed with an exacto knife, go with the tape.
    But if you're impatient and nervous, go with the paint.

Sorry if that didn't help. But here's a good source though;

http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_E...ics/Shielding/
    I do have the holographic Sambora neckpate, which I'm going to use. I ordered that rubber cover the goes between the neckplate and the body to eliminate damage to the body and paint. I was originally going to go with the contoured heel, but then my Sambo plate wouldn't have worked.... But then again, my old workhorse Charvel didn't have that, and had the standard heel. And also had the rubber protector! Haha.

Regarding the shielding? Thanks for the advice and link! Probably a month or two away from actually having to decide, so I'll give those options some thought.

Cheers.

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Premium Member

Here are the two sets of star inlay decals I got from Creative Cuts, off of ebay:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180128_101130.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	4036

DiMarzio 500k volume pot bought and due to arrive by mid week. 250k tone pot being sent out soon.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Premium Member

2 Texas Special single coils bought, as well as a chrome Floyd Rose Special w/R2 nut.
    Debating on a brass block upgrade for the trem (as well as my AX40 and Sub AX4 guitars) and a chrome D-Tuna.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Premium Member

First the rant.... I emailed Warmoth and asked if they could drill the required holes, 11 screw pickguard, Fender top mount 'sink' style input jack, strap buttons, trem claw etc. They said no.... Fair enough.

I'm thinking they just screwed themselves (just realised the pun!) out of $200.00. If I get an unfinished body then I can drill the holes myself, then spray paint and clear coat for about two hundred bucks. If I opt for them to paint and coat it the cost is closer to four hundred, and I'd be leery to mar/crack the finish... Seems like a no brainer.

All parts and hardware either on hand or paid for and waiting on shipping. Except the body and neck, which as I said before, I'm delaying for slightly longer because of winter weather and shipping/customs waiting time.

Last Online

05.04.19 @ 12:52 PM
    Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts

Don't know if you're familiar with painting guitars, but just using rattle cans won't work well. Clear coats won't harden up even if left for several months to cue. The hardware will actually sink into the finish some. I personally would get it done professionally.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rokstar View Post
    Don't know if you're familiar with painting guitars, but just using rattle cans won't work well. Clear coats won't harden up even if left for several months to cue. The hardware will actually sink into the finish some. I personally would get it done professionally.
    I've never done a build, which is why some of this stuff probably seems redundant and boring to many of you guys who know the ins and outs!

Interesting tidbit. Thanks for the advice!

Last Online

08.16.19 @ 05:35 PM
    Liked 125 Times in 73 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rokstar View Post
    That's particularly true for the rattlecan stuff you get at the hardware store, or at Pep Boys (automotive). Paint formulated for guitars (like from ReRanch) seems to work pretty well, IMHE.

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

When It's Love
    Last Online

02.28.18 @ 02:32 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts

Another option is a used body in good condition off eBay. Don’t know what color you want but search “Floyd body” and see if you see anything you like

Last Online

07.25.19 @ 09:52 AM
    Liked 240 Times in 125 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ValHallan View Post
    That's particularly true for the rattlecan stuff you get at the hardware store, or at Pep Boys (automotive). Paint formulated for guitars (like from ReRanch) seems to work pretty well, IMHE.
    Reranch is good stuff. I use a lot of Duplicolor Perfect Match too. Good quality. Minwax black can lacquer is good, either in rattle cans or quarts for a spray rig.

I build guitars and use a lot of different products, but mostly 2K urethane for clear coats. You can see some of my work here: https://marksoundguitars.com/gallery
    But I like "Hot Dog and a Shake." - marksound, 1988

18. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Premium Member

Thanks again guys, for all the input ^^^!!!. Much appreciated.
    Still not sure if I want to try a Warmoth neck and then add the star inlay decals, and then clearcoat. I'm not in a hurry...

In the meantime, I saw and bought this neck off eBay... Seller says it will fit a Strat replacement body. We'll see. I hope it does. Pics don't do it justice - it looks and feels killer! Perfect condition and the inlays look awesome. No sharp fret edges and it has a finish on it. Came well packed with allen keys, and about a month ahead of schedule.

Very happy with it. If it works? This guy will get more business from me for sure! If it doesn't? I think it will still look cool hanging in my jam room. I love those star inlays!

$100.00 with US/Canada exchange rate, and it had free shipping.

Name:	20180328_154831.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	4070

Name:	20180328_154902.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	4071

Name:	20180328_154910.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	4072

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Zero thru FW
    Favorite VH Song

One Sky Control Movies
    Last Online

08.18.19 @ 07:30 PM
    Liked 715 Times in 459 Posts

There you go man. It looks great in the pictures, and that'll certainly simplify your R.Sambo project.
    And if those are actual inlays, then that's the best way to go. The pics make the frets look super duper jumbo.
    I hope that it works out for ya.

If not, it'll make a sexy table lamp, kinda like the old leg lamp
    Why behave in public...if you're livin' on a playground !