VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:51 PM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

Default My New Guitar Build - Warmoth?

Hey guys, gals, and fellow guitar players!

A lot of us have owned guitars that we regret parting with. Sometimes more than one...LOL
    One of mine was a 1991 (I think?) Fender Richie Sambora USA Strat.
    -Alder body finished in Alpine White, maple neck with custom profile, maple neck with pearl star inlays, Floyd Rose trem, Dimarzio PAF Pro humbucker, 2 Texas Special single coils, 5 way switch, volume , tone , tone, mid boost circuit, all chrome hardware.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	les_pauls_richie_sambora_stratocaster.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	2934

Awesome guitar, gorgeous looks, and a real nice tone and feel. Have no idea why I sold it, and have regretted it ever since!

Not looking to spend the 3 or 4 grand I've seen the originals sell for on eBay, and also don't want the possible hassles of buying a 25 year old guitar. That brings me to this thread.

Thinking about having a similar one made by Warmoth or similar company. I won't go exact, as there are certain features I do and don't from the original RS/Fender design. The main thing I DO want, cosmetically, is the maple neck with the professionally installed star inlays. Awesome look IMO, and very associated with Sambora, who's one of my 'main guys' on guitar.

I'd set the Floyd for dives only, possibly change the middle and/or neck pickups, and forego the mid boost circuit. I think I'd also move the location of the volume knob slightly, as I'm really used to the feel of the Wolfgang and Ibanez styles guitars, where the picking hand has a bit more room to breathe...

What do you all think? I'm not a builder, so this is the route I might go in the near future. Might try to keep costs down (by $195.00US) and have the body shipped unpainted, then do that and clearcoat it myself.

Probably going to have some questions about various things, so please don't be afraid to chime in.
    Cheers!
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away
    Last Online

12.06.15 @ 07:04 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

That was a great sounding guitar when he used it, loved the tones he got in that era, Good luck on the build!

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 2,028 Times in 1,265 Posts

Definitely a sweet guitar!
    What are you looking at without the paint....about a $1000?
    I say do it. Paint job can't be that hard to do. It's my plan when I do this, as well, one day. Even if it's not a perfect paint job ya still got a great playing guitar.

If not the specials what pickups you thinking?

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by VH!! View Post
    That was a great sounding guitar when he used it, loved the tones he got in that era, Good luck on the build!
    Thanks!

I really dig him, but know he doesn't get much love on here...Haha
    Agree though, 'Mr. Sambo' got a good tone in those days. I just posted in another thread about how his Live in San Diego 1991 is one of my favorite cd bootlegs.

There's good organic rock and more vintage Strat tones oozing out of that guitar.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    Definitely a sweet guitar!
    What are you looking at without the paint....about a $1000?
    I say do it. Paint job can't be that hard to do. It's my plan when I do this, as well, one day. Even if it's not a perfect paint job ya still got a great playing guitar.

If not the specials what pickups you thinking?
    Thanks, PoP!

The unpainted body (with all my custom appointments) will ship for about $260.00US, which includes pickguard/bridge rout/strap buttons, neck plate w/screws. I'll opt for the contoured heel for easy access to upper frets. I have a Floyd Rose Special trem just sitting here that I'm going to use for the bridge.

Not sure about the pickups yet... I do like the all white finish like the photo I posted. Might keep the Texas Specials or possibly do a Duncan '59 mini humbucker in the neck. Thinking about keeping the PAF Pro in the bridge, but maybe a Custom Custom?
    Thinking about having a coil split switch added for the bridge and neck pickups, to go truly "Stratty" when I want, and humbucker ballsy when I don't.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	strat_sambora_4.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	2935

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Just found this neat addition on eBay: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fycw6rim9spejvi2rxkw.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	2938

If I do the build, I'm not including the DBX mid boost active circuit. I'm going to have a mini switch installed instead (where the button is between the tone pots) to coil tap the humbucker(s). Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05_Strat_Richie_Sambora_800x534.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	2939

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 2,028 Times in 1,265 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    Thanks, PoP!

The unpainted body (with all my custom appointments) will ship for about $260.00US, which includes pickguard/bridge rout/strap buttons, neck plate w/screws. I'll opt for the contoured heel for easy access to upper frets. I have a Floyd Rose Special trem just sitting here that I'm going to use for the bridge.

Not sure about the pickups yet... I do like the all white finish like the photo I posted. Might keep the Texas Specials or possibly do a Duncan '59 mini humbucker in the neck. Thinking about keeping the PAF Pro in the bridge, but maybe a Custom Custom?
    Thinking about having a coil split switch added for the bridge and neck pickups, to go truly "Stratty" when I want, and humbucker ballsy when I don't.
    Ahhh...you have some things already.
    Either way you decide with the pickups it should be killer!

Now that you have that cool plate ya gotta go for it. I wish they had Eddie versions.

Last Online

10.29.15 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts

You can get a professional paint job yourself if you take your time with it.
    I use acrylic auto paint- you can pick a car color you like or have them scan a color you want and they'll make up aerosol cans for you. Make sure the body is sealed!!!!! Otherwise the paint will sink into the grain.
    Sand it all over with 600 grade wet/dry paper and spray it with acrylic auto primer (it's called Primer Surfacer). Let it dry then lightly mist spray (just so you get tiny dots all over the primer) use a darker color than the primer for this. Then sand all over again with 800 grade wet/dry paper until you've sanded off the mist coat. If you see any mist coat that won't sand off it means you have a hollow- fill it and prime again. You can miss the mist coat and sand if you're confident the body is flat and smooth. If so just sand it with 800 grade wet/dry. When it's all dried out- wipe the slurry (gunk left from sanding) off with a damp rag. Then apply your color- FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS ON THE CAN- I get impatient and put a thick coat on which always runs. Let it dry out for 24 hours and no less. Then use some 1200 grade wet/dry with some ordinary soap and sand all over again (called Color Sanding) be gentle on curves and ridges as they sand down fast. When it's smooth you can wipe it off and look for orange peel- it looks like small shiny dots on the sanded surface. Sand these dots until there are none on the finish. After that you get some rubbing compound and rub the surface which will bring it up to a high gloss then, if you want to go further- you can rub it all over with mag and aluminium polish ( I use 'Mothers' brand) and that will take out all the tiny swirl marks from the compound. Then put a good car polish on and you're done!
    You can get all the products above from any auto shop pretty cheap. Use all wet/dry paper wet BTW-
    I used to be 'sean112' but lost all my details!

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

The Sambora neck plate arrived on Fri., but I just now checked the mailbox. Posing with it on my EVH b/w striped series axe:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	2954Click image for larger version. 

Name:	010.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	2955Click image for larger version. 

Name:	015.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	2956

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

I sent Warmoth an email last week, detailing the basics of what I wanted. Haven't heard back from them yet.

What's the best/most comfy nut size and specs for a Floyd Rose nut. The neck will have jumbo stainless steel frets and a compound 10"-16" radius.
    Generally looking for an EBMM or Peavey Wolf style feel. A lot of the nut width specs are a bit confusing for a newbie like me! LOL