fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

10.01.19 @ 05:02 PM
    Liked 2,385 Times in 1,313 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Sam is like your typical semi retired( or retired) guy that has a honey do list. Starts several things but never finishes them.Lol.

He was a damn good worker during his career, so he gets a pass from me now. Glad he's still around, and if I only see him once in a while at Wal Mart handing out smiley stickers( making music) then I'll appreciate that at least he's still around. He won't be giving out stickers forever.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

10.20.19 @ 01:37 PM
    Liked 2,278 Times in 1,277 Posts

I think Sam doesn't come out on top of this whole CF thing. Because if you read between the lines, Joe says the reasons are "too boring" - which to me means there are other reasons than Chad not being there. Actually Chad would have a week to spare to record the drum parts. Sammy is the reason for CF ending. Like Sam alluded to, it probably has to do with money, that's why Joe says the reasons are "too boring." Sam didn't like the fact that CFIII sold a lot less than CFI, and might have not recouped the production costs - especially since almost no money was made from the super short tour.
    In the end, Sam wasn't really honest about it. It seems he wasn't straightforward with Joe either, which is a shame. I think us, as fans, need to let him know that while "The Cirlce" is decent, it's far from the level he attained with CF. Compared to CF, it's clearly a let down.
    Little Dreamer

3. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

11.26.16 @ 02:00 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    I think Sam doesn't come out on top of this whole CF thing. Because if you read between the lines, Joe says the reasons are "too boring" - which to me means there are other reasons than Chad not being there. Actually Chad would have a week to spare to record the drum parts. Sammy is the reason for CF ending. Like Sam alluded to, it probably has to do with money, that's why Joe says the reasons are "too boring." Sam didn't like the fact that CFIII sold a lot less than CFI, and might have not recouped the production costs - especially since almost no money was made from the super short tour.
    In the end, Sam wasn't really honest about it. It seems he wasn't straightforward with Joe either, which is a shame. I think us, as fans, need to let him know that while "The Cirlce" is decent, it's far from the level he attained with CF. Compared to CF, it's clearly a let down.
    Agree with your statement, I dug this up from a Rolling Stone article'

Hagar's focus on the Circle means that Chickenfoot, his supergroup with Anthony, Chad Smith and Joe Satriani, has been put on the back burner. "I love making music, but doing it on Chickenfoot's level means spending a half-million on a record," he says. "We write and record for six months. It's a lot of work, and then to not sell many records. It's disappointing. I don't like being disappointed. I like winning."

Man all these guys have their on studios, it seems to me they could keep cost down. Why not do that. They could produce and engineer it also. Don't understand it.

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.17.19 @ 02:30 PM
    Liked 274 Times in 164 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voa38 View Post
    Agree with your statement, I dug this up from a Rolling Stone article'

Hagar's focus on the Circle means that Chickenfoot, his supergroup with Anthony, Chad Smith and Joe Satriani, has been put on the back burner. "I love making music, but doing it on Chickenfoot's level means spending a half-million on a record," he says. "We write and record for six months. It's a lot of work, and then to not sell many records. It's disappointing. I don't like being disappointed. I like winning."
    I've seen that and attacked it before elsewhere on this site. That statement is an excuse built mostly of crap. Yes, there are expenses associated with using a studio. Having a home studio still has expenses, especially if you hire an engineer. And yes, the album didn't sell well, which certainly is disappointing. If that was a deterrent, than Sam wouldn't have recorded and released three albums since then. Granted, I don't know how long the prep was for either album, but I know that together they didn't spend anywhere near 6 months in the studio. III was recorded in less than 45 days and I believe I was recorded in a significantly shorter timeframe. Then there's the excuse about not recording/touring without Chad. I get that. It makes sense. His drumming in I was far superior to anything else he's done.

But, I think what it boils down to is that Sam simply doesn't want to do it.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

10.01.19 @ 05:02 PM
    Liked 2,385 Times in 1,313 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Railrunner130 View Post
    I've seen that and attacked it before elsewhere on this site. That statement is an excuse built mostly of crap. Yes, there are expenses associated with using a studio. Having a home studio still has expenses, especially if you hire an engineer. And yes, the album didn't sell well, which certainly is disappointing. If that was a deterrent, than Sam wouldn't have recorded and released three albums since then. Granted, I don't know how long the prep was for either album, but I know that together they didn't spend anywhere near 6 months in the studio. III was recorded in less than 45 days and I believe I was recorded in a significantly shorter timeframe. Then there's the excuse about not recording/touring without Chad. I get that. It makes sense. His drumming in I was far superior to anything else he's done.

But, I think what it boils down to is that Sam simply doesn't want to do it.
    This is what it comes down to.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Both CF records used a name producer, and that can fetch close to 100K, all in.
    With "The Circle," there are no cost, they just tour and make a bit of money.

I think the frustration from Joe probably come from the fact that he knows Sam doesn't really need the money. What's a 300K loss for Sam? A drop in the bucket. But for Sam, it's more a matter of principle. He's not gonna lose money on a project because it has pretty much never happened to him in his 40 years in rock.

From my point of view, I respect what Sam wants to do. But since Sam has himself talked about doing a third CF record many times, not just once, he should've made good on that. Do a third one, keep your word to the fans, and be done with it. Then I have no problem with what Sam wants to do next.

Right now, there's something not right that bothers me. Satch seems to be feeling the same way.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

10.19.19 @ 04:38 AM
    Liked 6,577 Times in 3,418 Posts

Joe doesn't seem to have a problem making solo albums with producers. I don't hear Joe saying he is losing money. Now maybe CF should use that format. Don't get a name producer to make an album. You can shake a tree in LA and probably one thousand producers will fall out of the wood work. Crap if you want, go out and ask somebody to do it for free. You know how many guys trying to make a name in the biz would love to do a CF album with Sammy, Mike, Chad and Joe? "Here put on your resume you recorded CF IV"

Excuse me but didn't The Circle just put out a live album? Yes its live but it needed somebody to mix the tracks, tweak some settings, maybe record some overdubs to fix mistakes and then package it all up? I dont' think that is selling as good as any CF album. Yet it was released.

You have a guy like Joe Satriani that wants to write music for a project. Take him up on that offer. Don't waste it by playing with Vic Johnson

Last Online

10.13.19 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 1,398 Times in 821 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    The problem isn't that "he's earned the right" imo. It's that he starts these new bands...we get used to them...and then he "moves on".

He's never satisfied, I guess. One of the things I respect about the VH Bros, they look at each other as the best....they don't look at anybody else, to get them pumped.
    "....and Apu.....Just listen to early Michael Anthony bass lines and you'll pick it up in no time! I got all these kick ass lyrics about aliens, grapefruit, and Eggo waffles!!! You dig me??? This is gonna be the next Led Zep! I'm tellin' ya!!!!
    So whaddya say guys??? You in???"

Last edited by we die young; 06.08.15 at 02:56 PM.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

10.02.19 @ 02:19 PM
    Liked 2,073 Times in 1,105 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Fontcow View Post
    Yeah, I love Chad Smith as much as anyone but if he's adamant about the Red Hot Chili Peppers being full-time all the time, then I don't understand why The Circle isn't Chickenfoot. Bonham would be way more than an acceptable drummer with the chops (moreso than Aronoff) to not only takeover the stool and skins for Chickenfoot but perhaps—dare I say it—make them better. Sammy once compared Chickenfoot to Zeppelin—well... put your money where your mouth is. I for one would love to hear Bonham's thick, groove-driven drumming behind Sammy, Joe, and Mikey.
    Agreed

I dig Chad Smith too, but I'd LOVE to hear a new Chickenfoot record with Bonham in place of Chad! How great would the live show be if they did what they are doing with the Circle but with Satch on guitar? Hagar material, Montrose, VH, Zepp, Chickenfoot.......Fuck yeah

oh well

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

I think Joe's solo albums are recorded really quickly. Bass and drums lay down the basic tracks, and that's done fast, and then it's up to Joe to overdub a bunch of guitar tracks - and he comes to the studio ultra prepared.
    And then... it's done, since there are no vocals.
    Plus Joe still had his deal with Epic. So it's a different situation.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

10.16.18 @ 12:33 PM
    Liked 113 Times in 49 Posts

Donor

When people recommend a different drummer, since Chad has the Chili Peppers stuff, I think they miss the point.

What Chickenfoot and Sammy accomplished was really quite extraordinary in this day and age. I know they had their past sort of revving things up for them, but they created a fresh group with new music and toured on that music...and most of the time filled up 3000 to 5000 seat spaces. No Van Halen. No Surfing with an Alien. No Give it Away Now. Impressive.

With that said, I understand the no Chad, no Chickenfoot thing. First of all, there were Chili Peppers fans that went along with that ride...and they lost that group when there was no Chad. However you feel about the Peppers, we are talking about a fucking force in music. All those fans gone when Kenny did his best to replace Chad...and his awesome fills, and his funny as hell personality.

Sam knows it. Maybe one of Sam's last things will be another Chickenfoot record and tour...it just seems very unlikely.
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

10.02.19 @ 02:19 PM
    Liked 2,073 Times in 1,105 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by extreme red roth View Post
    When people recommend a different drummer, since Chad has the Chili Peppers stuff, I think they miss the point.

What Chickenfoot and Sammy accomplished was really quite extraordinary in this day and age. I know they had their past sort of revving things up for them, but they created a fresh group with new music and toured on that music...and most of the time filled up 3000 to 5000 seat spaces. No Van Halen. No Surfing with an Alien. No Give it Away Now. Impressive.

With that said, I understand the no Chad, no Chickenfoot thing. First of all, there were Chili Peppers fans that went along with that ride...and they lost that group when there was no Chad. However you feel about the Peppers, we are talking about a fucking force in music. All those fans gone when Kenny did his best to replace Chad...and his awesome fills, and his funny as hell personality.

Sam knows it. Maybe one of Sam's last things will be another Chickenfoot record and tour...it just seems very unlikely.
    I never thought of it that way. It did lose something when I saw them with Kenny (although Kenny kicked some serious ass on drums as he always does)

How about Jason, Mike, Sammy and Joe and they call that something else? It really seems like Joe wants to play with those guys and no offense to Vic, but I'd take Joe over VIc any day of the week.

Banned!
    Last Online

01.21.16 @ 08:53 AM
    Liked 623 Times in 347 Posts

I'm disappointed that there will likely be no more Chickenfoot. What a great band. They cut two killer albums and their live shows were really rocking. The band was tight and Sammy and Joe seemed to be progressing as writers together.

I love what Sammy is doing with the Circle and I hope it continues for a bit, if Chickenfoot is not returning.

As Sammy once said, "Standing on top of the world--for a little while."

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

08.27.19 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 545 Times in 297 Posts

Donor

At this point I look at Sam as if he is getting all the hot women he wants. We all want him to settle down with a specific girl with big breasts and a great ass but he just wants to hang with her for a while and then move on to the next one. Personally I'd be doing the same. He's a free man. Free to do what he wants, when he wants. I don't think we will every see a long, sustained tour from him again in any format.
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Sinner's Swing! BlindtotheWorld's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

10.18.19 @ 11:20 AM
    Liked 1,801 Times in 952 Posts

Premium Member

I was ok with the demise of CF but I admit seeing the reaction on here does make me second guess things. I’m more of the perspective of being happy with what we got and I’m enjoying the fact that Sam is still active and functional at age 67.

I’m in agreement with the assessment that Sam does not want to invest time and effort into an album that won’t sell. I think he envisioned CF becoming an arena act and it just didn’t happen. If you look at the concert venues they played, he was basically playing the same places as he was with the Wabos.
    "Problem is Van Halen doesn't miss you. Or me. Or any of us." - Little Dreamer

19. The Following Member Likes This Post: