Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:08 PM
    Liked 11,719 Times in 6,493 Posts

Premium Member

Default Manspreading arrests: the long arm of the law just invaded our personal space

Manspreading

What is it?

Men spreading their legs and taking up more than one seat on public transport

Who came up with it?

The term was coined by feminist bloggers tracking anti-social behaviour on public transport. But it has reached the real world too and was banned in New York and Seattle

Why do we care?

Two men have been arrested for "manspreading" on the New York subway and the New York Times called it the "bane of many female subway riders". Manspreaders be warned.

As two men are arrested for 'manspreading' on the New York metro, Joel Snape argues that we should all take a bit of responsibility rather than making anti-social behaviour illegal

01 Jun 2015

Bad news, tall men with a poor sense of boundaries: the NYPD have had enough of your nonsense. Yes, after op–eds in the New York Times (£), a popular crowdshaming Tumblr campaign and a series of public service ads from the Metropolitan Transport Authority, 'manspreading', or 'sitting with your legs slightly too far apart', as it used to be known, has apparently become a criminal offence.

According to a recent report from the Police Reform Organising Project, at least two men have been arrested and charged on grounds of the M–word, "presumably because they were taking up more than one seat and therefore inconveniencing other riders". Rather than simply throwing out the charges, the judge issued an order that only guarantees that the men won’t suffer further repercussions if they avoid getting arrested again in the near future. It's all part of a numbers driven crackdown on subway behaviour that's also seen arrests for break dancing, walking between the cars and – collective air punch – people putting their feet on the seats. Nobody's been arrested for playing dubstep on audio–leaking headphones yet, but it's surely only a matter of time.

On the face of it, I'm in exactly the demographic that ought to be delighted by this news. A combination of stumpy legs and terrible middle class guilt make me almost physically unable to manspread: even when I manage to wedge myself into one of the District line’s tiny seats, I’m constantly looking out for pregnant, ageing or just slightly tired people who need it more.

I’m also an incredibly intolerant commuter: if it was up to me, arrestable underground offences would include putting your bag on the seat, reading a newspaper on a crowded train, approaching the escalator queue from the left when you're planning to stand on the right, walking slightly faster than me, walking slightly slower than me, trying to get on the train before everyone else has already got off, or not already having your Oyster card out by the time you're less than ten feet from the ticket barrier.

But it's not up to me, which is a good thing because – as established in the previous sentence – I am a maniac. I simply should not be trusted with deciding what sort of anti-social behaviour merits a trip to court. And I’m not sure anybody else should either.

Leave aside, for instance, the fact that these arrests are based on a version of policing that’s far from universally accepted (the ‘Broken Windows’ model, which suggests that targeting minor sources of disorder can lead to a reduction in more serious crimes, is both simplistic and largely unproven). And ignore, for a second, the fact that this 'law' gives the police more power to selectively arrest whoever they like: it’s pretty telling that notorious menace Matthew Broderick hasn’t yet been brought to justice.

No, the main problem with arresting people for anti–social behaviour is that anti-social behaviour shouldn’t be illegal in the first place.

Criminal acts have clear boundaries, as in the case of murder, tax evasion, or torrenting episodes of Game Of Thrones; sitting with your legs too wide on a subway seat does not. Every commuter instinctively knows the difference between a man who’s tall enough to need a bit of extra room and someone who’s just being an arse, but in order to effectively prosecute it you’d need some sort of complex formula to determine guilt, which included variables like limb–length, testicular size, the number of other commuters on the train during the time of the offence and the always important willingness–to–be–accommodating–when–the–carriage– gets–crowded matrix.

And one final point worth considering: by providing clear punishments for an act, you wrench things into the realms of strict cost benefit analysis. In one famous study, a childcare facility that introduced fines for parents who arrived late to pick their children up actually made the problem worse, not better. By putting a monetary value on what was previously just a bit of a dickish thing to do, they inadvertently encouraged parents to keep breaking the rules and simply write off the cash. Have the NYPD considered that, by criminalising manspreaders, they’ll actually glamorise them, transforming them from laughable Instagram–fodder into anti–authoritarian James Dean figures defying the system? Has anyone, for that matter?

Well I have, and I don’t like it. So here’s my alternative suggestion: by all means, step up the anti­manspread campaign by whatever non–legal means you like. Take a picture of a manspreader and ask them their Twitter handle so you can tag them in it. Lobby TFL to get more aggressive with their ridiculous etiquette­poetry contests. And be proactive: if you see a manspreader in a crowded carriage, insist that they move their bag/legs so that others can sit down.

In fact, I’ll go you one further. You know the people who sit on a train with their bag on the next seat in a tacit attempt to discourage you from perching there? As soon as the train starts to fill up, make a show of sitting in that exact seat first. Together, we can reclaim the seats – and we don’t need police help to do it.

Just don’t do that passive–aggressive tutting thing. If I could, I’d make that illegal.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/think...nal-space.html
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:36 PM
    Liked 6,667 Times in 3,695 Posts

arresting them is a bit much, but it really is a douchebag move when people do that. Also when they feel their napsack needs it's own seat. It's just a lack of manners and something I've noticed here getting worse and worse over the years. I remember standing on a streetcar last summer with my son (who was 6 - not that anyone got up to give him a seat but that's another matter). Well this very old person slowly walks up the steps and pays her fare and looks at a crowded streetcar. After about 10 seconds of all those seated, mainly youngish dudes, ignoring her I (rather loudly) announce "so does anyone plan on standing up and giving her a seat?" Fortunately the public shaming got someone to get his lazy ass up.

3. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

The term "manspreading" is so misleading, they make is sound like some Scottish guy in a kilt spreading out showing his junk. Most guys that do this are just trying to get their ballsack unstuck from the sides of their legs, no biggie. Just ask the guy if he can scoot over so you can sit, what's the big deal?
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:45 AM
    Liked 6,813 Times in 3,562 Posts

Premium Member

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 04:17 AM
    Liked 432 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    The King of Manspreading...
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

Back in the 80's I worked with this guy that was all of 6' 7". Just a big ol' country boy. He would manspread on the shitter, feet sticking out into the stalls on either side.

We would give him a hard time about it. "Hey Jethro...you can't be taking up three stalls when you're dropping a load."

His excuse was he needed to stretch out his legs.

How the hell do you get any push?
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:00 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

What do they call it if Bruce Jenner is doing it, transpreading?
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

11. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:08 PM
    Liked 11,719 Times in 6,493 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by sickman View Post
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:01 PM
    Liked 1,623 Times in 870 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by sickman View Post
    Gross, Sickman, they call it gross.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

15. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

Ha, Brooky - you're a day late and a dollar short posting this story - I had a fascinating exchange on FB about it - with a gentleman from the East Coast of the USA...(No, it wasn't you - I don't think...)

The upshot was that I felt police intervention should NOT be necessary - if the men in question simply had a few manners and kept themselves to one seat (or if their testicles were so extraordinarily large as to prohibit this, then they should stand). I pointed out that a lot of young girls (and older women) feel slightly intimidated asking strange men with their legs akimbo to 'please move over', because rather too frequently, it results in salacious comments, or worse.

I was informed - with a number of accompanying unpleasant adjectives - that the vast majority of men would be perfectly obliging if asked, and not at all abusive or aggressive (the fact that he had been both of those things to me when I politely insisted upon it being good manners seemed to escape him, although it rather usefully proved my point, I felt ).

The gentleman proceeded to lament this new law as being a colossal waste of money (to which I would be inclined to agree - it is indeed far cheaper for us to expect common courtesy, consideration, and empathy for others as a matter of course - it's a very sad state of affairs when we're forced to make bad manners a criminal offence)...

However, he went on to argue that if girls / women felt intimidated, then they should all carry weapons so that they might feel more confident about asking men to close their legs. I pointed out that surely requiring all females (no matter how young) to carry (and use) weapons might actually lead to MORE by way of cost to the public purse in the long-term (the cost of training / issuing permits; the increased policing necessitated by having more - and younger - people walking around armed; the cost of dealing with the repercussions of young women shooting offending "manspreaders" in the balls, etc etc) - but this didn't seem to wash either.

He concluded his diatribe by informing me that, really, I was in no position to comment on the matter, and that I couldn't possibly understand the issue - because I didn't live in America (the USA being the only nation in the world that apparently has that most dangerous of combinations - men AND public transport ), and ended with the particularly revealing remark that feminism was to blame for all the "degeneracy" in the world. I was left under no illusions that really, the problem wasn't the cost of this rather bizarre (and ideally wholly unnecessary legislation) but the fact that BLOODY WOMEN AND THEIR UNREASONABLE DEMANDS WERE WRECKING THE WORLD FOR MEN AND THEIR TESTICLES!!!

Anyway - that was that.
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

17. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dibblekins View Post
    Ha, Brooky - you're a day late and a dollar short posting this story - I had a fascinating exchange on FB about it - with a gentleman from the East Coast of the USA...(No, it wasn't you - I don't think...)

The upshot was that I felt police intervention should NOT be necessary - if the men in question simply had a few manners and kept themselves to one seat (or if their testicles were so extraordinarily large as to prohibit this, then they should stand). I pointed out that a lot of young girls (and older women) feel slightly intimidated asking strange men with their legs akimbo to 'please move over', because rather too frequently, it results in salacious comments, or worse.

I was informed - with a number of accompanying unpleasant adjectives - that the vast majority of men would be perfectly obliging if asked, and not at all abusive or aggressive (the fact that he had been both of those things to me when I politely insisted upon it being good manners seemed to escape him, although it rather usefully proved my point, I felt ).

The gentleman proceeded to lament this new law as being a colossal waste of money (to which I would be inclined to agree - it is indeed far cheaper for us to expect common courtesy, consideration, and empathy for others as a matter of course - it's a very sad state of affairs when we're forced to make bad manners a criminal offence)...

However, he went on to argue that if girls / women felt intimidated, then they should all carry weapons so that they might feel more confident about asking men to close their legs. I pointed out that surely requiring all females (no matter how young) to carry (and use) weapons might actually lead to MORE by way of cost to the public purse in the long-term (the cost of training / issuing permits; the increased policing necessitated by having more - and younger - people walking around armed; the cost of dealing with the repercussions of young women shooting offending "manspreaders" in the balls, etc etc) - but this didn't seem to wash either.

He concluded his diatribe by informing me that, really, I was in no position to comment on the matter, and that I couldn't possibly understand the issue - because I didn't live in America (the USA being the only nation in the world that apparently has that most dangerous of combinations - men AND public transport ), and ended with the particularly revealing remark that feminism was to blame for all the "degeneracy" in the world. I was left under no illusions that really, the problem wasn't the cost of this rather bizarre (and ideally wholly unnecessary legislation) but the fact that BLOODY WOMEN AND THEIR UNREASONABLE DEMANDS WERE WRECKING THE WORLD FOR MEN AND THEIR TESTICLES!!!

Anyway - that was that.
    BALLS!
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 12:23 AM
    Liked 7,837 Times in 4,573 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    arresting them is a bit much, but it really is a douchebag move when people do that. Also when they feel their napsack needs it's own seat. It's just a lack of manners and something I've noticed here getting worse and worse over the years. I remember standing on a streetcar last summer with my son (who was 6 - not that anyone got up to give him a seat but that's another matter). Well this very old person slowly walks up the steps and pays her fare and looks at a crowded streetcar. After about 10 seconds of all those seated, mainly youngish dudes, ignoring her I (rather loudly) announce "so does anyone plan on standing up and giving her a seat?" Fortunately the public shaming got someone to get his lazy ass up.
    I said basically, the exact same thing on FB.

I ride the bus quite frequently and that is a peeve of mine. A back pack or purse that needs it's own seat as to tell everybody "don't sit next to me".

Another thing that bothers me is, sit in the inside seat, so that someone wanting to sit down, doesn't have to ask you stand up, so they can sit down.

I'm not a manspreader but I am a shower taker.

I wish more people who ride the bus, did. Buses stink...

20. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Punch View Post
    BALLS!
    Yes - go punch 'em!
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

22. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:36 PM
    Liked 6,667 Times in 3,695 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    I said basically, the exact same thing on FB.

I ride the bus quite frequently and that is a peeve of mine. A back pack or purse that needs it's own seat as to tell everybody "don't sit next to me".

Another thing that bothers me is, sit in the inside seat, so that someone wanting to sit down, doesn't have to ask you stand up, so they can sit down.

I'm not a manspreader but I am a shower taker.

I wish more people who ride the bus, did. Buses stink...
    i really try like hell to avoid sitting beside anyone. I don't like sitting beside dudes i don't know and i figure chicks i don't know don't want to sit beside some dude they don't know. So unless i'm travelling with one of my kids i tend to stand, and tend to have headphones on so i don't have to hear anyone. I've really become pretty anti social come to think of it, lol

24. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 12:23 AM
    Liked 7,837 Times in 4,573 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    i really try like hell to avoid sitting beside anyone. I don't like sitting beside dudes i don't know and i figure chicks i don't know don't want to sit beside some dude they don't know. So unless i'm travelling with one of my kids i tend to stand, and tend to have headphones on so i don't have to hear anyone. I've really become pretty anti social come to think of it, lol
    I'm totally anti social....but I still have manners.

26. The Following Member Likes This Post: