Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.17.15 @ 08:04 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Default My Axis vs Wolfgang comparison

Hey guys, been a while since I posted here. A few years back, I was torn between these two guitars, so I bought both! , but now the time has come to sell one as both really just collect dust for me. I made this comparison video in order to help out anyone who's interested in these EVH models and help narrow down their choice, while demonstrating their awesome tone at the same time. Let me know what you think, thanks!

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I & Balance
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One & Feelin'
    Last Online

11.10.17 @ 05:45 AM
    Liked 267 Times in 150 Posts

Alright first, nice playing dude! Second, what color is the Wolf? -just curious as it looks black.

I have the EVH MM and love it. BUT, in respect to your video, I give the edge to the Peavey because it just sounded better. Although I love the Music Mans, I also really adore the Peaveys too. I have two Peavey Wolfs and am looking to get a third. I personally have a much higher opinion of them compared to the EVH Wolfs. If I were you, I'd keep the Wolf and sell the Axis. -Again, just my opinion, and very sorry you have to let one go!

Last Online

12.08.17 @ 10:10 PM
    Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts

EBMM Axis always! PV was trying to copy it.
    She's a ho, fo' sho'.

5. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I & Balance
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One & Feelin'
    Last Online

11.10.17 @ 05:45 AM
    Liked 267 Times in 150 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rokstar View Post
    EBMM Axis always! PV was trying to copy it.
    I agree they tried to copy it, but for a company that was never known for their guitars, they did a damn good job with the Wolf making a high-quality guitar. That said, I love my MM and would never sell it. Just basing my opinion on his video as I love the Peavey Wolf too.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:16 AM
    Liked 6,971 Times in 5,007 Posts

Premium Member

Great playing!!! Both are nice guitars, but the edge goes to the EBMM Axis, to me. Love the looks/feel/and tonal sparkle that they give off. The Peavey sounds slightly darker and harsher to my ears.

To bad you have to let one go... Keep the Axis
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 726 Times in 343 Posts

Nice video, and beautiful guitars. On the video, the Peavey definitely comes out sounding nicer. That being said, I think it comes out sounding nicer because of your amp setup. Having owned Peaveys and EBMM guitars, I can say that I personally prefer the sound of the EBMM over the Peavey.

In my experience, the EBMM sounds better through an amp like a Peavey 5150. If you have the EQ on a 5150 amp with the highs on 6, the mids on about 5, and the bass on about 7.5, you have a really good tone with some good bottom end. If you plug your Wolfgang into an amp with the same settings that sounded good on the EBMM, I've found that it tends to sound muddy and undefined. You have to dial the bass back a bit, and maybe back the gain off to get a comparable sound.

I think if you are playing through a Marshall or some other amp with less gain and more midrange response than a 5150, the Peavey would probably sound better, since the Peavey appears to have more bottom end response naturally. The EBMM would be more shallow sounding, and probably come off as weaker and more boxy sounding.

I don't know what your gear was for the video, but I'm going to guess your settings were more Marshally.

I've been through a few different amps while I've owned my EBMM guitars, and I always end up coming back to a 5150 Combo sounding best with the EBMM. Oddly enough, I don't care for the way the Wolfgang sounds through a Peavey 5150. I don't always play an Axis, but when I do, I prefer a 5150 Combo.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Top Of The World cpusolutions2001's Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:57 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts

I also have both a Wolfgang (USA) and both an EVH EBMM and an AXIS and I have always found myself picking up the EB ones more than the Wolfgang's. The neck just feels so right plus it fits my hands better, with the neck being a little smaller. I have to say that between the EVH EB and the Axis, I have to prefer the Axis due to the tummy cut. Seems like most everyone on this thread feels the same...

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:02 AM
    Liked 911 Times in 467 Posts

I think I might need to replace the volume pot on my EBMM EVH.
    The volume tapers off VERY quickly down to almost nothing if not nothing at low volumes. My Peavey is not like that at all. Should I replace it?

Edit: after just comparing the two, I think the volume pot is fine but the pickup height on the EVH is 50% lower tan the Wolf, so that's probably what is giving me the low volume. It's lower because I had to raise the bridge and neck up just a tad, and because the pickups are hard mounted, I need to go get the foam tunig cover from the garage and stuff that in just like the one's I've built myself.

I actually have a "show" with my EVH in two hours. Short one song for one silly thing.
    Last edited by Yaminub; 05.30.15 at 11:29 AM.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

I would.
    Having a similar issue with the Peavey Wolf Special EXP I recently picked up. Took the cavity plate off and saw the prior owner had replaced the volume pot. Either not soldered properly or just a dud...

500k Dimarzio's are what I normally use, and I have an unopened one on me right now. They are really consistent and have a nice taper to them. Smooth volume from 0 to 10.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:02 AM
    Liked 911 Times in 467 Posts

Pictures because past edit limit. It's more in person but the pics can show you fairly well.

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.17.15 @ 08:04 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth5150 View Post
    Alright first, nice playing dude! Second, what color is the Wolf? -just curious as it looks black.

I have the EVH MM and love it. BUT, in respect to your video, I give the edge to the Peavey because it just sounded better. Although I love the Music Mans, I also really adore the Peaveys too. I have two Peavey Wolfs and am looking to get a third. I personally have a much higher opinion of them compared to the EVH Wolfs. If I were you, I'd keep the Wolf and sell the Axis. -Again, just my opinion, and very sorry you have to let one go!
    Thanks! It's the basswood black one. I had a friend interested in either, and I decided to sell the MM.

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    Great playing!!! Both are nice guitars, but the edge goes to the EBMM Axis, to me. Love the looks/feel/and tonal sparkle that they give off. The Peavey sounds slightly darker and harsher to my ears.

To bad you have to let one go... Keep the Axis
    I really hadn't played much of either in the past year, so it doesn't hurt too bad haha. Although I think the ebmm sounds really nice, there's something about that sparkle on the mid and neck that bother me, it's too straty for that kind of guitar IMO, when I'm playing hard rock (which is pretty much all I'd use either for), I want a meaty neck pickup hence the PV.

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    Nice video, and beautiful guitars. On the video, the Peavey definitely comes out sounding nicer. That being said, I think it comes out sounding nicer because of your amp setup. Having owned Peaveys and EBMM guitars, I can say that I personally prefer the sound of the EBMM over the Peavey.

In my experience, the EBMM sounds better through an amp like a Peavey 5150. If you have the EQ on a 5150 amp with the highs on 6, the mids on about 5, and the bass on about 7.5, you have a really good tone with some good bottom end. If you plug your Wolfgang into an amp with the same settings that sounded good on the EBMM, I've found that it tends to sound muddy and undefined. You have to dial the bass back a bit, and maybe back the gain off to get a comparable sound.

I think if you are playing through a Marshall or some other amp with less gain and more midrange response than a 5150, the Peavey would probably sound better, since the Peavey appears to have more bottom end response naturally. The EBMM would be more shallow sounding, and probably come off as weaker and more boxy sounding.

I don't know what your gear was for the video, but I'm going to guess your settings were more Marshally.
    Thanks man, I agree about the amp setup. It's a DSL50, which is a bit thinner and brighter than other amps. The fullness and darker tone of the PV compliments this nicely and fills out the sound.

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

It's all good! What a nice problem to have... LOL

I like the slight 'twang' and nasal honk of the EBMM w/Axis pickups. Just a personal preference. There was a lot of midrange to the early VH tones, as well as his later ones.
    The Peavey is a great guitar, no doubt. I've owned a few of them. You'd be hard pressed to find two guitars that are more respected and coveted in today's climate, for giving off the true VH vibe.