Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

09.15.17 @ 08:03 AM
    Liked 1,395 Times in 441 Posts

Default "Outta Love Again" solo performance and transcription

I've been playing this solo for damn near a quarter century, but set aside every single thing I knew and started over from scratch and changed a hell of a lot about the way I play this solo now. I love relearning things I've known for such a long time but never had down completely correct.

Enjoy.

KBD3

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cant pick 1!
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 96 Times in 77 Posts

Nice work!

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:38 AM
    Liked 612 Times in 387 Posts

Looks pretty right on to me, very similar to how I play it...I can't listen to YouTube at work, but I will as soon as I get home. I love that guitar man! Here is my take on the solo:

Sorry this is so big! I couldn't get it sized quite right

This is another solo that had direct licks from Clapton's live Cream playing, specifically the ending solo from "Sitting On Top Of The World" from Cream's Goodbye LP. The revelation for me when I finally started playing this solo correctly was that it was played on the Shark Destroyer which enabled the extra wide bends that Ed does. You can't really do these bends on a standard Fender tremolo equipped strat like the Frankenstein and the Destroyer is the key.

5. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:26 AM
    Liked 6,970 Times in 5,006 Posts

Premium Member

Agreed, nice guitar!!! Love that one a lot
    Great job on a neat solo. Ed really 'got it' on that take, and I like your interpretation.

Kudos to Kevin and garbeaj for sharing their respective tabs for us. Both of you cats are awesome guys for helping to show us how it's done.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

7. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:53 AM
    Liked 255 Times in 139 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by garbeaj View Post

The revelation for me when I finally started playing this solo correctly was that it was played on the Shark Destroyer which enabled the extra wide bends that Ed does. You can't really do these bends on a standard Fender tremolo equipped strat like the Frankenstein and the Destroyer is the key.
    Ummmmm.....sure you can. Why wouldn't you be able to?

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 7,615 Times in 3,993 Posts

I love that the solo is mainly "box" type licks, yet when you hear it, it sounds
    absolutely complex & blazing.

Eddie's bends are insane, and his attack is second to none.

Also cool how he reversed the typical soling rule, and started up high
    on the neck with a sort of climax note, then moved on from there.

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by RogueNT View Post
    Ummmmm.....sure you can. Why wouldn't you be able to?
    I agree.

Gilmour does these insane bends on his black strat, bends within bends.

Maybe he meant the Destroyer's neck, the Gibson style spacing, makes it more adaptable
    for those kinds of bends than the more crowded strat neck.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    I agree.

Gilmour does these insane bends on his black strat, bends within bends.

Maybe he meant the Destroyer's neck, the Gibson style spacing, makes it more adaptable
    for those kinds of bends than the more crowded strat neck.
    Maybe... I have no problems whatsoever doing them on my Charvels.

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by RogueNT View Post
    Maybe... I have no problems whatsoever doing them on my Charvels.
    Charvels tells me you have fine taste in guitars.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    Charvels tells me you have fine taste in guitars.
    Why, thank you, kind sir...they have served me well!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I & Balance
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One & Feelin'
    Last Online

11.10.17 @ 05:45 AM
    Liked 267 Times in 150 Posts

Wow... it's threads like this that make me so glad I finally joined last year after quite a while of lurking!

Awesome job Kevin!! Awesome transcriptions to both you and garbea! Now I need to take the time to learn the solo!

17. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:26 AM
    Liked 6,970 Times in 5,006 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth5150 View Post
    Wow... it's threads like this that make me so glad I finally joined last year after quite a while of lurking!

Awesome job Kevin!! Awesome transcriptions to both you and garbea! Now I need to take the time to learn the solo!
    Yeah, there are several posters here who really ARE in it for the right reasons!
    I've learned a lot from a few of them. Awesome stuff
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Gilmour does not do mega-wide 2 1/2 step bends on any of his Fender strats with the standard Fender tremolo. The guitar solos that he did which feature these bends were also played on stop tail guitars. The wide bends on "Money" were played on the 24 fret Lewis guitar which was a non-tremolo stop tail guitar and the guitar solo from "Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2)" was played on a 50s Goldtop Gibson Les Paul with P-90s.

The point is that Ed never did bends like this on his Frankenstein or any of his other guitars that were equipped with standard non-locking Fender tremolo units. He used stop tail guitars on tracks where he didn't use the tremolo. He used the Ibanez Destroyer for all tracks on the first album that did not utilize the tremolo. These tracks include "Runnin' With The Devil", the rhythm track of "Jamie's Crying", and the entirety of "Feel Your Love Tonight" and "On Fire". The rest of the tracks used the original black and white striped version of the Frankenstein which had a standard, non-locking Fender tremolo.

On the second album, the Ibanez Destroyer had been changed into the Shark mod that we all know. Supposedly the Shark modified version of the Ibanez Destroyer was used on the non-tremolo tracks on Van Halen II which were "Outta Love Again" and the main guitar track of "Women In Love".

On Women And Children First Ed famously borrowed the Ibanez Destroyer that belonged to Chris Holmes to record the majority of the guitar parts for the album. The solo for "And The Cradle Will Rock" was played on a Gibson hollow body, possibly a 335 as Ed has claimed, but it may have been a different model number. Ed's first vintage sunburst Les Paul was also available to Ed for these sessions. This album also marked the first use of the Floyd Rose system on a Van Halen record. But tracks like "Take Your Whiskey Home" and "Loss Of Control" which feature 2 and 2 1/2 step bends were recorded with a stop tail guitar, most likely the Chris Holmes Destroyer, but possibly the sunburst Les Paul.

By Fair Warning when Ed was using the Frankenstein with the Floyd Rose for the majority of the tracks, he eliminated the use of the Fender tremolo on strats for actual use of the bar. Songs like "Push Comes To Shove" and the intro to "Hear About It Later" were recorded with a standard strat, but the tremolo bar was not used.

There are other famous examples of the use of fixed bridge instruments for guitar solos with 2 and 2 1/2 step bends like "Girl Gone Bad" on 1984 which used the vintage korina Gibson Flying V.

There are players who are able to execute wide bends like this on non-locking tremolo strat style guitars like Yngwie, Doug Aldrich and Guthrie Govan, but Ed was not able to do this so he resorted to using fixed bridge guitars for extra wide bends.

If you have clips where you have been able to execute these bends and remain perfectly in tune to play the rest of a song live on a strat (Fender or Charvel) with a working (non-blocked and non-locking nut) Fender tremolo (without the aid of locking tuners and Tusq nut technology that Ed did not have access to at the time he recorded the first two Van Halen albums) then I would love to see them. I would have lots of questions for advice from you and I would be very impressed.

Sorry for the detour!
    Last edited by garbeaj; 05.31.15 at 01:54 PM.

20. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Just a small addition to the above...there are quite a few examples of Ed doing wide bends on the Fender tremolo in solos on the first and second albums, but in each case there is always a small amount of time where Ed does "a quick little jerk" (Ed's words) to depress the bar quickly to get the guitar back in tune or he plays an actual bar dive passage which results in the guitar going back in tune after these bends. The solos from "Ice Cream Man" and "Atomic Punk" are two such examples. But again, solos with 2 to 2 1/2 step bends which do not have any tremolo bar use are done on stop-tail guitars in the first three Van Halen albums.

Last Online

I'm not convinced.

I do agree (and read the same interview from 85, Life & times of Edward Van Halen),
    where he mentioned which guitars were used on which tracks.
    I remember really enjoying that part of the interview, and agree that, without a doubt,
    he utilized the Destroyer on "Outta love again."

But i still think he could perform those bends on a guitar equipped with a normal,
    Fender Tremolo.
    I think you can bend on any guitar, especially strats.
    Gibsons might be easier as far as the fight of the guitar, but i find it's easier
    to slip off the strings.
    With a stratocaster you get almost an anchored grip & feel, more controlled,
    for lack of a better description.

Check 6:12 for some classic, early Gilmour wide bends , on a strat, in the early 70's: