Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:01 AM
    Liked 11,778 Times in 6,524 Posts

Premium Member

Default Paul Stanley & Yngwie on state of music biz

Things just ain't what they used to be.

PAUL STANLEY: KISS 'Can Move Forward Without New Music'

May 21, 2015

KISS frontman Paul Stanley says it's not "utterly necessary" for the band to release a new album to follow 2009's "Sonic Boom" and 2012's "Monster" and insists that KISS "can move forward without new music."

Stanley tells Classic Rock magazine: "There has to be a purpose to us doing an album.

"There was a time when we did albums because the contracts said so. But I only want to work now when it's justified."

He continued: "'Sonic Boom' was an album that very much needed to be done, and 'Monster' just felt like, 'Well, we did 'Sonic Boom' — let's see where we go from here.' Having accomplished that, I feel we can move forward without new music. There are enough things going on in KISS that right now it doesn't feel utterly necessary to make a new album."

Stanley does leave the door open to the possibility that he will change his mind. "Anything is possible," he says. "But at the moment I don't see it on the horizon. I'm not one to ever say 'never.'"

KISS's 20th album, "Monster", sold 56,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to land at position No. 3 on The Billboard 200 chart.

KISS' previous CD, "Sonic Boom", opened with 108,000 units back in October 2009 to enter the chart at No. 2. This marked the band's highest-charting LP ever.

KISS has notched nine Top 10 albums, according to Billboard.com. Its previous highest-charting set was 1998's "Psycho Circus", which debuted and peaked at No. 3 with 110,000 copies in its first week, according to Nielsen SoundScan. The group's other high-charting sets include 1975's "Alive!" (No. 9), 1977's "Love Gun" (No. 4) and 1992's "Revenge" (No. 6).

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/pau...6hzvfhUZr3r.99

YNGWIE MALMSTEEN Defends GENE SIMMONS's 'Rock Is Dead' Comment

May 21, 2015

Rodney Holder of Australia's Music Business Facts recently conducted an interview with legendary Swedish guitarist Yngwie Malmsteen. You can now listen to the chat using the audio player below. A few excerpts follow (transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET).

On his decision to discontinue selling physical CDs:

Yngwie: "I'll never forget when I stopped making CDs. The distribution company that we used was a big one, too; they distributed for everybody, [including] big labels. I had my own label, Rising Force Records, and made records, but had them distributed to the chains, to the retailers, but the retailers are gone — there's no physical sales anymore — so I'm not gonna make the CDs and have 'em put into trucks to go nowhere. That was just a choice that I made. And you should have seen… It was, like, they were running around with a… They were, like, on their knees, begging: 'Please, make a CD! Please.' Well, sorry. If there was a market, that's what I would do. But there isn't… In the United States, there is no record chains — there's no Tower Records, no Virgin Megastores, there's no Spec's, there's no Coconuts… Every record store and record chain has folded; they don't exist. They do not exist. And the only two outlets that would still sell CDs were Best Buy and Wal-Mart. They now have stopped selling it. There's nowhere you can go into a store and buy a CD in America. That's how it is."

On some artists' struggle with the fact that they are making money off their music, believing that it somehow diminishes its value:

Yngwie: "It's a very strange way of looking at it. Because, I mean, I don't know how [those artists] make records. But, to me, to make a record costs a lot of money — a lot of money. And a lot of blood and sweat and tears from me as well. And I have a family to feed. So I don't look at it like that. I look at it like, if I create something and somebody wants it, it's not free. Why would it be free? Free, what's that? Free. It's like going to a gas station and saying, 'Give me free gas for the car.' It's not even like that. It's different. I don't know what to compare it to. I mean, anybody that has this as their main… as their life, basically, and not working somewhere else and then making music for fun, would understand where I'm coming from. Because just the expenses to make an album is a lot of money — a lot of money. And that's just the monetary thing. And then you have all the effort and blood, sweat and tears, and soul — you're pouring your soul into this thing. [For any artists to struggle with the idea of making money off their art] is a little hypocritical, I think. Because the thing is that… If they go… Let's say they wanna go to dinner, or whatever. Are they gonna pay [for] it with their music?"

On whether there is still a place for record labels to help young bands market their music:

Yngwie: "I don't think in the traditional sense; there doesn't seem to be much use for it. But I think that now, with the YouTube thing and all that stuff, it's all a curse and a blessing [at the same time]. The blessing part of it is the fact that it's kind of a free scene, where it's not so rigid and formulated as it used to be. But the bad part is that, compared to the past when there would be, like, forty bands in town and two bands made it, and those two bands sold shitloads of records, and that, in turn, made the labels search for more bands, which, in turn, gave the incentive to kids to do what they wanna do, 'cause they wanna come to the forefront also. There was always a carrot in front of the donkey, so to speak, there all the time, and that's totally gone. Because, at the end of the day, 'Okay, I've got a video on YouTube.' So what? So do four billion other people. I remember when I was a kid, if you had your name on a piece of vinyl, man, you were, like, in the halls of Valhalla; all of sudden, you were hanging out with Odin and being at the table of the gods. You were the real deal; you weren't some guy struggling in a garage somewhere. Now it doesn't have that contrast anymore; it's just like all the same. And, to me, the magic is gone in that sense. I don't know if kids understand what I mean when I say that. But I remember when I was little, I dreamed about it. 'Cause you knew nothing about the bands, nothing about the artists [you liked], [you relied largely on] your imagination. Once you got big like that, like the [artists] you looked up to, that was a big thing. Now, I don't know if I see that…. Once again, I'm not saying there's no good bands, I'm not saying there's no good music. I know that Gene Simmons [KISS] — a friend of mine — he got misquoted not too long ago. They quoted him as saying everything sucks. That's not what he meant. He meant that the industry is gone, the money… the big wheels that were turning, with everybody putting their finger in the pie, that's gone, and that's not his opinion, it's a fact. [It's] gone."

On whether selling music digitally is a profitable business for him:

Yngwie: "It works to a point, you know. Unfortunately, that is the root of all evil right there. What happened was that when most people realized that they could get the file for no money, they said, 'I'm not gonna pay ten dollars for it.' And then those ten dollars multiplied by whatever… hundreds of thousands of titles… translated to the fact that all these people that I mentioned before that had their finger in the pie had nothing to take. And so that's why you don't see a new band every week on MTV or VH1; you don't see them there. There's no one signing bands because there's no… Nobody got signed because [the labels] wanted to be nice to them. No, they were signed because [the labels] wanted to make money from them. The labels wanted to make money. And so, when [the labels] realized that there was no revenue being [made] from [selling music anymore], they basically all folded. I mean, I still put records out on iTunes, and I think that iTunes is great. But the thing is that a lot of people would rather not [obtain music] the right way, and that hurts everything, unfortunately."

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/yng...GRsRV6022jy.99
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 PM
    Liked 1,084 Times in 726 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    And the only two outlets that would still sell CDs were Best Buy and Wal-Mart. They now have stopped selling it. There's nowhere you can go into a store and buy a CD in America.
    Wait, they still sell, don't they? I bought VH's Tokyo at a BB.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:55 AM
    Liked 354 Times in 183 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    In the United States, there is no record chains — there's no Tower Records, no Virgin Megastores, there's no Spec's, there's no Coconuts… Every record store and record chain has folded; they don't exist. They do not exist. And the only two outlets that would still sell CDs were Best Buy and Wal-Mart. They now have stopped selling it. There's nowhere you can go into a store and buy a CD in America. That's how it is."
    Newbury Comics says fuck you.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.01.17 @ 10:57 AM
    Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood P. View Post
    Wait, they still sell, don't they? I bought VH's Tokyo at a BB.
    Not @ Starbucks, E?

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 09:05 PM
    Liked 7,627 Times in 4,003 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Al Van Bundy View Post
    Newbury Comics says fuck you.
    Newbury Comics aint what it used to be.

Was in the flagship store on Newbury the other day, and it's all pop
    culture mementos & bobble heads.

The CD's are replaced by over-priced hipster vinyl.
    Even B&N is selling a lot of vinyl now.

But Tower is gone.
    Strawberries is gone.
    HMV is long gone.
    Virgin is gone.
    Record town, Samy Goody & even FYE is gone.

These were Boston staples, too.

Yngwie was correct.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 1,961 Times in 984 Posts

He is correct. Even Walmart, while still carrying CDs has a reduced selection from a few years ago. They aren't going to take up a bunch of retail space for a product that doesn't sell as well as other items.

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:58 AM
    Liked 1,626 Times in 872 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

My local wm HAD in the not so distant past 3 short rows of CDs in electronics. Now it's MAYBE 1/2 a row at best and none of it is anything I want to listen to. The last CD I bought was ADKOT at said wm.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:16 AM
    Liked 7,881 Times in 4,607 Posts

Premium Member

Fuck these old dinosaurs. Not just Kiss, btw.

Younger artists don't need a reason to make albums...yet they do.

This is the mindset, when you're too rich..too lazy...and too fat.

They have to spend their own money these days, instead of the record companies money. Translation: "I'm greedy, even though, I'm a multi millionaire, who has the most sophisticated recording equipment in my home studio and it costs literally nothing for me to create and put out".

Rock is not dead and no one needs a record company or a contract.

10. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:35 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PCh5150 View Post
    He is correct. Even Walmart, while still carrying CDs has a reduced selection from a few years ago. They aren't going to take up a bunch of retail space for a product that doesn't sell as well as other items.
    Not to mention the barrel of random CDs - drives me nuts when I see that! Technically, the whole system of displaying CDs in a lot of these stores drives me nuts.

Been a long time since I've been to a show - are there many (or any) artists that sell their catalogue CDs at their shows?

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:13 PM
    Liked 18,158 Times in 8,974 Posts

A lot of these bands don't want to adapt.

They want to still sit around in a studio for months on end and record an album with a producer, etc., old school.

With modern technology you can record in your basement and have it sound great.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 PM
    Liked 1,084 Times in 726 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Emily Hartley View Post
    Not @ Starbucks, E?
    What's a starbucks? Sounds pricey.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:35 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    A lot of these bands don't want to adapt.

They want to still sit around in a studio for months on end and record an album with a producer, etc., old school.

With modern technology you can record in your basement and have it sound great.
    Nah, give me the studio any day - I just don't think these computerized albums have the warmth of the old school analog recordings.

But they do need to find a new model of getting that music bought.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.01.17 @ 10:57 AM
    Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood P. View Post
    What's a starbucks? Sounds pricey.
    It can be, if you do it right.

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 12:08 AM
    Liked 16,546 Times in 9,380 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emily Hartley View Post
    It can be, if you do it right.
    That and $5 will get you a cup of coffee ...
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:57 AM
    Liked 2,658 Times in 1,331 Posts

I have no idea why it's not as simple as we think it should be, but everybody from these guys above to EVH to Sammy to Peart to tons of others have basically said the same thing so it seems like there must be something to it. I don't have the technical knowledge to know what kind of resources you have to have to be able to allow mass downloading from a band's own website or if that's an issue at all, but I'm confident that if they go to a digital only model with no physical media as soon as the first person downloaded a copy of a new song or album it's going to be torrented for free within minutes or hours. People do that now, but most fans of these bands are older and many still see value in having a physical product to buy. I know I do. But not even having the option for that means an invisible torrented file is as good as any legally purchased item.

If these bands spent a few months making a record, even if it's less expensive than it used to be, there's just not enough reward I don't think. You could say they should do it because they enjoy it, but I don't think 95% of them do enjoy it. The few bands like Rush that actually like each other? Sure, they can go that route for no money and probably get some satisfaction to make it worthwhile. But try getting almost any of these other bands to work together for months knowing there's no money when they could be playing the same old songs for millions of dollars live. Good luck. You think the guys in Motley Crue or Metallica or Van Halen want to be around each other just for fun? Probably not since they were in their early 20s. They're businesses.