All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:07 AM
    Liked 353 Times in 182 Posts

Default New Car Day!

Well, sort of....

It'll become official on Saturday once I head to the dealership to go through all the paperwork & bullshite. But tonight, I made the decision to buy my first brand new car. I'm getting a 2015 Buick Verano. Sister car to the Chevy Cruze, just with more bells & whistles (backup camera, parking sensors, GPS, bluetooth & front crash warning sensors). Granted I don't need the camera or parking sensors (I used to have a 1988 Lincoln Town Car & I live in the most densely populated city in New England. I could parallel park a bus if I had to.), but the front end warning system is a feature that could be useful. The local dealer has it for 20 grand even. Trading in my 2006 Mercury Montego AWD for $5,000, putting down another $5,000 & financing the other 10 grand over 5 years (which I'll probably have paid off in 3).

I've always had three life goals.

- Buy at least one brand new car.
    - Buy a 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood.
    - See a concert in every state.

I wouldn't touch any 20 year old car located here with a 10 foot pole due to our winters & I'm currently sitting at 8 states down, 42 to go on the concert front. The time is right for a new car.

As long as everything goes well, I'll have some pics up by Sunday. And everyone on here should appreciate my license plate. For those who don't remember what it was in another thread, I'll leave it as a surprise so you can actually see a picture of it come this weekend.

2. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:54 AM
    Liked 1,961 Times in 984 Posts

Congrats! Buick has come a ways and have some really nice interiors I think. Is that 20k out the door, or before taxes? Also most dealers have a "doc" fee of about $500. Also keep in mind that the interest rate the dealer gives you is sometimes, not always a bit higher than the bank approves you for. Just FYI. (I sell new cars).

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by PCh5150 View Post
    Congrats! Buick has come a ways and have some really nice interiors I think. Is that 20k out the door, or before taxes? Also most dealers have a "doc" fee of about $500. Also keep in mind that the interest rate the dealer gives you is sometimes, not always a bit higher than the bank approves you for. Just FYI. (I sell new cars).
    This'll be my 3rd Buick. My first car was a 1989 Century which I'd probably still be driving had I not totaled it when i was 17. That thing was a fucking tank. I also had a 1997 LeSabre which was awesome for road trips.

20 grand out the door. They're having a "spring cleaning" event through June 1st and they're making room for the 2016 models. The only thing I've yet to come to a conclusion on is the interest rate. The Montego was the first car I bought that was under my name & from a dealership. If I remember correctly, my rate was 11.9% for 5 years and I paid it off in 4. Plus, I have a much better credit rating than most 25 year olds, so I'm hoping the rate will be somewhere around the 5% mark, if not lower.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Al Van Bundy View Post
    This'll be my 3rd Buick. My first car was a 1989 Century which I'd probably still be driving had I not totaled it when i was 17. That thing was a fucking tank. I also had a 1997 LeSabre which was awesome for road trips.

20 grand out the door. They're having a "spring cleaning" event through June 1st and they're making room for the 2016 models. The only thing I've yet to come to a conclusion on is the interest rate. The Montego was the first car I bought that was under my name & from a dealership. If I remember correctly, my rate was 11.9% for 5 years and I paid it off in 4. Plus, I have a much better credit rating than most 25 year olds, so I'm hoping the rate will be somewhere around the 5% mark, if not lower.
    Well if you already paid off one car in your name you should be good to go. Just saying, if they approve you at 5%, it is possible they actually got the loan at 4.5%, for example. You can always ask "is that the best you can do?"

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 02:26 PM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

Congrats Al! Do you belong to a credit union? If not, you should see about becoming a member of one. Better rates than commercial banks, and the loans are simple interest - meaning each payment pays down the principal amount. Some banks and dealer affiliated lenders make you pay all of the interest up front for several years before you ever start paying down the principal.

Sorry if you know all of this already; I'm pretty good at spending other people's money on cars

8. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Rokgtar View Post
    Congrats Al! Do you belong to a credit union? If not, you should see about becoming a member of one. Better rates than commercial banks, and the loans are simple interest - meaning each payment pays down the principal amount. Some banks and dealer affiliated lenders make you pay all of the interest up front for several years before you ever start paying down the principal.

Sorry if you know all of this already; I'm pretty good at spending other people's money on cars
    I am not & hadn't even thought about it. I'll look into it. Thanks for the advice

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,296 Times in 3,167 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Don't let them talk you into rustproofing. It's a scam.

If you really want to have some fun request some weird shit. I always do. Like I made them drain the gas and put premium in it and change the oil to Mobil 1. They did it and they got a cashiers check. Shouldv recorded the poor fuckers face when I asked.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

You don't get 0% finance on new cars over there? It's the norm' here in the UK for all car manufacturers / showrooms to provide zero percent deals on new car purchases - with the option to trade in for a newer model every year or so, or buy outright whenever you like.

Then again, our fuel costs are HUUUGE, so it's all swings and roundabouts, I suppose.

Regardless - congratulations on getting yourself a new motor, Al...Now you have no excuse not to get to the remaining 42 states!
    Last edited by dibblekins; 05.20.15 at 07:18 PM.
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    Don't let them talk you into rustproofing. It's a scam.

If you really want to have some fun request some weird shit. I always do. Like I made them drain the gas and put premium in it and change the oil to Mobil 1. They did it and they got a cashiers check. Shouldv recorded the poor fuckers face when I asked.
    Lol, but with all due respect, you know how much profit a dealership makes on a sub $20k car? About 3-400 dollars. That's not a lot. Sometimes they actually make nothing. Nobody believes that, but there is a reason I sell Maseratis and I still drive a 15 year old Honda. It's because it's the only business that people seem to think no profit should be made! Guess how much mark up is in a pair of jeans? Nobody questions that though.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

Lol, but with all due respect, you know how much profit a dealership makes on a sub $20k car? About 3-400 dollars. That's not a lot. Sometimes they actually make nothing. Nobody believes that, but there is a reason I sell Maseratis and I still drive a 15 year old Honda. It's because it's the only business that people seem to think no profit should be made! Guess how much mark up is in a pair of jeans? Nobody questions that though.
    i bought an 85,000 Audi. Trust me. They profited bro.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

i bought an 85,000 Audi. Trust me. They profited bro.
    I'm not giving you a hard time, but I have made a $200 commission on a 170,000 dollar car before. It's not the cost, it's the profit left over. I'm sure Audi made money.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

I'm not giving you a hard time, but I have made a $200 commission on a 170,000 dollar car before. It's not the cost, it's the profit left over. I'm sure Audi made money.
    No man. I know. Just being a smart ass. As usual. It's all good.

I fuck with these guys because I know it's about volume. Especially since I usually buy my cars from Rick Hendrick. It's numbers numbers numbers. These guys are vultures when I pull up I like to have a little revenge. Harmless. I usually give them a gift card to Ruth's Chris or something because I know the commission is slim.

Mozeltov on the job. The Maserati v8 is one sweet ass motor. Even though Ferrari made it.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

No man. I know. Just being a smart ass. As usual. It's all good.

I fuck with these guys because I know it's about volume. Especially since I usually buy my cars from Rick Hendrick. It's numbers numbers numbers. These guys are vultures when I pull up I like to have a little revenge. Harmless. I usually give them a gift card to Ruth's Chris or something because I know the commission is slim.

Mozeltov on the job. The Maserati v8 is one sweet ass motor. Even though Ferrari made it.
    Oh, like wise it's all good bud! And yes I did go to work for one dealership and knew within a day or so I didn't want to be associated with that place, lol. BTW, I'm from Roswell, GA originally. Haven't lived there in years though.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:24 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Congrats! The Verano is a nice ride!
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 739 Times in 407 Posts

Premium Member

Congrats! The Verano is a great little car - and surprisingly roomy inside. I never thought I'd darken the door of a GM dealership - but GM has come a LONG way in the last 10 years for overall vehicle design and quality. This in mind, my wife just bought a Volt (with uses the same platform as the Verano/Cruze). I was shocked had how well put together the car was; and the fact that she's now driven 2,000km's - and has only gone through 1/2 a tank of gas (from the original tank supplied by the dealership)!! Electricity costs were only $80 (for 2,200 km's!).

Further, the dealership experience was fantastic. Our dealer was knowledgeable, if he didn't know the answer he didn't try to BS it (unlike EVERY OTHER DEALER), returned our calls and gave us a competitive trade on her old car. Pretty much the exact opposite of every other dealer we went to. As a 'professional sales guy' - I really appreciated his style versus the 'traditional car sales person' stereotype.

Enjoy it!!! Post some pics!

Also - you didn't tell us the most important detail, what colour did you get!?
    Winners come and go; legends are forever.