Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 236
  1. #1
    Hot For Teacher 5F1U5C0K's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.03.04
    Age
    34
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    301
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance/Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Humans Being/Dirty Movies
    Last Online

    12.06.17 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    23
    Liked 65 Times in 43 Posts

    Default Most liked/loved Sammy song by DLR die hards?

    Maybe this has been asked before, and if so, my bad. Just something that occurred to me.

    Please don't let this turn into a Sam/Dave shit show. I'm a big fan of both eras. In fact, if I was asked which era I prefer, my answer would probably vary depending on which way the wind was blowing that day.

    So that said, I was wondering which Sammy era song is the most liked by the staunch DLR fans. By that I mean anyone who strongly prefers DLR or even can't even refer to the Sammy era as Van Halen.

    My guess would be Humans Being, because that is just an excellent, kick ass song that I can't even fathom fans of rock not liking, but I wanted to see what the prevailing opinion was.

  2. #2
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    08.23.11
    Age
    49
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,905
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 09:09 AM
    Likes
    2,487
    Liked 2,646 Times in 1,327 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 5F1U5C0K View Post
    Maybe this has been asked before, and if so, my bad. Just something that occurred to me.

    Please don't let this turn into a Sam/Dave shit show. I'm a big fan of both eras. In fact, if I was asked which era I prefer, my answer would probably vary depending on which way the wind was blowing that day.

    So that said, I was wondering which Sammy era song is the most liked by the staunch DLR fans. By that I mean anyone who strongly prefers DLR or even can't even refer to the Sammy era as Van Halen.

    My guess would be Humans Being, because that is just an excellent, kick ass song that I can't even fathom fans of rock not liking, but I wanted to see what the prevailing opinion was.
    I love both eras, too. But best of luck to you......

  3. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:


  4. #3
    Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.29.03
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,970
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 08:52 AM
    Likes
    2,611
    Liked 2,854 Times in 1,067 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 5F1U5C0K View Post
    My guess would be Humans Being
    As a fan of both Dave and Sam era VH that would be my guess as well. Curious to see what some of the DLR die-hards think.

  5. #4
    Top Of The World EdyVelDen's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.08.07
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    212
    Favorite VH Album

    VanHalen1
    Last Online

    05.09.17 @ 09:23 PM
    Likes
    38
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Roth only era here.... although i have heard all the Sam era songs.... I only bought '5150' from the Sam era and none of the other albums, and that was because i was trying my hardest at the time to like the new VH, but never did grasp it like the Dave era.....I like maybe a handful of Sam tunes, but "Right now" is my favorite of the Sam era

  6. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  7. #5
    Hang 'Em High
    Join Date
    01.07.07
    Location
    The Texxas Jam - 1978
    Posts
    5,944
    Favorite VH Album

    Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL, D.O.A., TYWH
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 11:59 PM
    Likes
    1,115
    Liked 1,326 Times in 796 Posts

    Default

    I'm sorry, I don't like any Van Hagar songs enough to download them or buy a disc. What very few Van Hagar songs I might watch on YT, are 99% because of EVH. But there really aren't but a few that I like watching, and it's becuase of EVH, and not Sammy. I tolerate Sammy on those few songs.

    So, I'm a CVH fan first.

    Second I'm a fan of Sammy solo.

    And farther down the list, I'm a fan of some of DLR solo.

    With no interest in Caba Wabo, of Chickenfoot.

    That said, if that floats your boat, then Happy Sailing !!

    ~~8 U.S.C. § 1182(f)~~

  8. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  9. #6
    Hang 'Em High Hurricane Halen's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.17.03
    Age
    49
    Location
    Shreveport Louisiana
    Posts
    6,600
    Favorite VH Album

    All of them
    Favorite VH Song

    All of them
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 08:53 AM
    Likes
    3,044
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

    Default

    "Ice berg dead ahead, Captain!!!!!"



    HH<----This thread will be fun while it last----------------------------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

    UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

  10. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:


  11. #7
    Hot For Teacher 5F1U5C0K's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.03.04
    Age
    34
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    301
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance/Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Humans Being/Dirty Movies
    Last Online

    12.06.17 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    23
    Liked 65 Times in 43 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rover View Post
    I'm sorry, I don't like any Van Hagar songs enough to download them or buy a disc. What very few Van Hagar songs I might watch on YT, are 99% because of EVH. But there really aren't but a few that I like watching, and it's becuase of EVH, and not Sammy. I tolerate Sammy on those few songs.

    So, I'm a CVH fan first.

    Second I'm a fan of Sammy solo.

    And farther down the list, I'm a fan of some of DLR solo.

    With no interest in Caba Wabo, of Chickenfoot.

    That said, if that floats your boat, then Happy Sailing !!
    Nobody said you had to like them because of Sammy. In fact, I wouldn't expect you to. If you like a Sam era song because of EVH, that's entirely understandable and completely makes sense. I'm just asking which song you like most, not why you like it.

  12. #8
    Atomic Punk ziggysmalls's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.24.03
    Location
    Cleveland, Oh
    Posts
    12,969
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 08:24 AM
    Likes
    2,600
    Liked 4,795 Times in 2,447 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    This is like asking Pat Robertson to name his favorite transgender.


  13. #9
    Hang 'Em High Hurricane Halen's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.17.03
    Age
    49
    Location
    Shreveport Louisiana
    Posts
    6,600
    Favorite VH Album

    All of them
    Favorite VH Song

    All of them
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 08:53 AM
    Likes
    3,044
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    This is like asking Pat Robertson to name his favorite transgender.
    Does he have a favorite? Learning is a wonderful thing.

    HH<------Pat needs some tranny time on Bourbon St. to get his mind right-------------------------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

    UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

  14. #10
    Hot For Teacher 5F1U5C0K's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.03.04
    Age
    34
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    301
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance/Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Humans Being/Dirty Movies
    Last Online

    12.06.17 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    23
    Liked 65 Times in 43 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    This is like asking Pat Robertson to name his favorite transgender.
    lmao

  15. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  16. #11
    Atomic Punk japeape's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.05.15
    Posts
    7,853
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 04:57 PM
    Likes
    5,595
    Liked 7,612 Times in 3,991 Posts

    Default

    "Space station no. 5."

    Okay, being a hardcore CVH nut, i'll play along:

    The Dream is over.

    Killer intro, killer verses, ethereal chorus, blinding solo.

    Summer Nights.

    Sure, it's kinda dated & goofy, but Ed's "zig-zag" guitar tapestry (and i'm not just
    talking about the solo), is a master class in clever songwriting.

    5150.

    The king of beers & another guitar tapestry.
    Possibly, Ed's "Kashmir."

    Finish what ya started.

    On an album full of duds & half baked brownies, Ed comes up with a gem.
    Great hook, nice riff, some well placed vocals from the red rocker, Al's inventive
    drum beat, stellar backing vocals, it's a winnah! (as we say in Boston)

  17. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  18. #12
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    02.23.07
    Posts
    2,352
    Last Online

    11.14.17 @ 06:38 PM
    Likes
    4,723
    Liked 753 Times in 498 Posts

    Default

    I don't. I really don't know the Hagar era except what got major air play.

  19. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:


  20. #13
    Eruption Al Van Bundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.16.12
    Age
    27
    Location
    Somerville, MA
    Posts
    775
    Favorite VH Album

    All of them
    Favorite VH Song

    Humans Being
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 10:07 AM
    Likes
    9
    Liked 353 Times in 182 Posts

    Default

    Humans Being is my favorite Van Halen song, period.

    Everything was there. The tone, the licks/riffs/solos, the production & the balls. Ed does a five fret interval tapping thing (3rd to 8th with the left hand) during the 2nd mini solo that I can't ever cleanly duplicate because the stretch is too damn far. To me, that whole Balance/BOV1 era might have been a complete shitshow, but goddamnit, Ed wasn't remotely touchable during 95-96.

  21. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:


  22. #14
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    11.10.10
    Location
    North Wales, United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,172
    Favorite VH Album

    Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

    The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

    12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Likes
    1,571
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post

    Okay, being a hardcore CVH nut, i'll play along:

    The Dream is over.

    Killer intro, killer verses, ethereal chorus, blinding solo.
    Glad to see you're back to saying sensible things.
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

    "Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

    "You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

    "Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

    "You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980


  23. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  24. #15
    Hot For Teacher 5F1U5C0K's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.03.04
    Age
    34
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    301
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance/Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Humans Being/Dirty Movies
    Last Online

    12.06.17 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    23
    Liked 65 Times in 43 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Al Van Bundy View Post
    Humans Being is my favorite Van Halen song, period.

    Everything was there. The tone, the licks/riffs/solos, the production & the balls. Ed does a five fret interval tapping thing (3rd to 8th with the left hand) during the 2nd mini solo that I can't ever cleanly duplicate because the stretch is too damn far. To me, that whole Balance/BOV1 era might have been a complete shitshow, but goddamnit, Ed wasn't remotely touchable during 95-96.
    Totally agree with this. My biggest regret with that whole 1996 fiasco is the direction the material was headed when it came to a a screeching halt. Even the BOV1 tracks reflect it.

    He was sober for a period there (around Balance, right after he chopped off all his hair, IIRC), right? So combination of sobriety and still being young enough to have not lost anything physically in his play (not that he isn't still incredible) maybe?

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. man i loved this band!
    By tommytom11 in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 08.21.14, 04:02 PM
  2. Turn your dead loved one into jewelry...
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11.21.06, 05:37 AM
  3. QUICK question - immediate response loved - WHO PLAYED GUITAR "RAINBOW IN THE DARK?'
    By dirtymovies in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02.09.06, 08:13 PM
  4. Lost A Loved One
    By VHHarry5150 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12.28.05, 08:14 AM
  5. I Rented it, watched it, and i loved it!!!!
    By Mean_Street in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03.08.02, 06:52 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •