Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I & Balance
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One & Feelin'
    Last Online

11.10.17 @ 05:45 AM
    Liked 267 Times in 150 Posts

Default Voodoo Mod for 5150 III 50 watt?

Hey guys, I wanted to get your opinions. I'm seriously considering sending my amp in for this mod. I didn't see any similar threads on this either.

I'm specifically only interested in the DC mod that mods your 5150 III 50 watt into a truly 3 channel amp with separate gain and volume controls for each channel. It's the only thing that drives me crazy about my amp. I have no practical use for the 100 watt in my 12x12 'guitar' room nor do I have the money for it. I keep my shared gain at 11:00. It's way too 'hairy' for a nice clean tone, though. Likewise, I'd LOVE to be able to crank it higher than 11:00 for the blue channel but that's way too distorted for the green channel--not to even mention the volume jumps.

I'm not familiar with Voodoo Amps. Anyone have any experience with them? Would you consider sending in YOUR 50-watt for the mod, or should I just leave things alone?

Thanks in advance!!

http://www.voodooamps.com/home/Modif...2/Default.aspx

Mods:

DC Mod™ (Dual Control Mod) $245.00
    Make Your Amp Into a True 3 Channel Amp!

Description/Specs:

All Modifications are exclusive to Voodoo Amps®
    Standard & DC-Mod's can be performed together or separately
    This Mod is for Channel's 1 & 2
    (2) Concentric Pots are installed in place of 'Gain' & 'Volume' pots
    Converts your amp into a true 3-Ch amp with shared EQ on Ch's 1 & 2
    Ch-1 & 2's 'Gain' & 'Volume' controls are now independent from one another!
    Ch-1 can be set for a true clean tone
    Ch-2 can now be set for a great gain tone!
    'Gain' & 'Volume' Controls
    Inner / largest knob (closest to front panel) are for Gain tones
    Outer /smallest knob (closest to you) of for Clean tones
    Mod Notes
    All other control features still function the same, including the footswitch
    This Mod is designed specifically for Channels 1 & 2
    Dual Concentric knobs currently come in Chrome & Black. Chrome is installed if not designated

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:44 PM
    Liked 2,858 Times in 1,069 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

They're on a 5150 iii Facebook group I'm a part of and have posted videos of their work. I've e-mailed a few questions and got quick replies. If I ever take the plunge and switch from a 100w to a 50w their DC mod would be mandatory for me.

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I & Balance
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One & Feelin'
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    They're on a 5150 iii Facebook group I'm a part of and have posted videos of their work. I've e-mailed a few questions and got quick replies. If I ever take the plunge and switch from a 100w to a 50w their DC mod would be mandatory for me.
    Good to know! Thanks man! I'm a member of the Facebook group EBMM, Peavey, EVH Wolfgang owners group but never saw anything by them. I'll have to dig up that 5150 III group. I wouldn't want to change anything tone-wise on the amp, and don't even care about the EQ sharing either. Separate gain and volume controls, though... I just can't believe Fender thought that was a good idea! It's really intrusive on how you set your gain levels!

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 01:29 PM
    Liked 6,971 Times in 5,007 Posts

Premium Member

I know the 5150III amps are expensive . But it seems like the cost of the mod vs the cost of another amp is worth it - based on your comments .
    Speaking as an observer only. I don't own a 5150III amp .

I almost pulled the trigger on a 50watt combo . The price is steep , but the volume drop issue and shared tone/gain is what turned me off . For now...
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

I don't know anything about their 5150 mods but I know a few people who had Marshall Class 5's modded by them and all of them seemed pretty happy with the results...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I & Balance
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One & Feelin'
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    I know the 5150III amps are expensive . But it seems like the cost of the mod vs the cost of another amp is worth it - based on your comments .
    Speaking as an observer only. I don't own a 5150III amp .

I almost pulled the trigger on a 50watt combo . The price is steep , but the volume drop issue and shared tone/gain is what turned me off . For now...
    Exactly man! Around $300 is about the cost of a high-end pedal and FAR less than the cost of a 100 watt and 4x12. Again, I couldn't imagine using a 100 watt half stack in my small guitar room. I don't play out or anything. I found the Facebook 5150 page Jedi mentioned above and someone else was very happy with their mod. I've emailed Trace with a few questions but I'm super excited over this--it's a dream come true because I really do love (almost) everything about that amp!

Now, how the hell do I ship an amp head!!?? I didn't keep the box it came in (in my infinite wisdom lol) and have never shipped anything like that.

Eruption
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fast98dodge View Post
    I don't know anything about their 5150 mods but I know a few people who had Marshall Class 5's modded by them and all of them seemed pretty happy with the results...
    agree. have spoken with them myself and they seem pretty straight up and make good products

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

11.09.17 @ 02:40 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommytom11 View Post
    agree. have spoken with them myself and they seem pretty straight up and make good products
    I've seen some of their work and I was quite unimpressed. Messy and they cover everything in black goop to prevent people from reverse engineering their mod. If the amp fails, no local amp tech wil be enthused to touch it. Mod it yourself, the schematic is available online for both the 50w and the 100w

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:38 AM
    Liked 1,608 Times in 744 Posts

Premium Member

A guy over at Jemsite.com posted this clip earlier this year regarding a quick fix to the volume jumps on the 5150 III's.

I'm not sure if it will be helpful but here it is regardless....

If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

16. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,338 Times in 3,184 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Sorry I don't trust anyone with a 1200 dollar head. Not saying their work isn't good but I also don't want to be the guinea pig. Plus I've played a 5150iii and if you feel the need to alter it then honestly you bought the wrong amp.

18. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I & Balance
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One & Feelin'
    Last Online

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'm still awaiting a reply from them. I still think I'm going to go through with it.

Fuddman, as for the wrong amp, I don't know... that may be. But I truly love the tone of it; I wanted a 3 channel amp that would also be practical for a small room. In my opinion, channels 1 and 2 are VERY limited since you sort of have to meet both channels in the middle and compromise. Had I realized that before I bought it I'm not positive I would have still purchased it. I mean, I knew about it prior, but I didn't fully realize it's limitations.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,107 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Hence the reason I bought the Stealth !!!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth5150 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'm still awaiting a reply from them. I still think I'm going to go through with it.

Fuddman, as for the wrong amp, I don't know... that may be. But I truly love the tone of it; I wanted a 3 channel amp that would also be practical for a small room. In my opinion, channels 1 and 2 are VERY limited since you sort of have to meet both channels in the middle and compromise. Had I realized that before I bought it I'm not positive I would have still purchased it. I mean, I knew about it prior, but I didn't fully realize it's limitations.
    I use a 5150II almost exclusively. I also own a soldano slo-100 and a solid state orange amp just for shits and giggles. I can get my II to do anything. Sure the clean isn't as pure as a solid state but I have my tricks. I really don't see the need for a III. And I've played one more than enough. It's too fine tuned and not raw enough. I personally think the original block and the II are perfect amps.

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:44 PM
    Liked 2,858 Times in 1,069 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Just cause it doesn't come perfect stock doesn't mean its not the right piece of gear for you. If Eddie had that mindset we might not have any of the gear he's had a hand in producing.

It all boils down to different strokes for different folks. I found the Peavey amps were a bit limiting for me, but the groups that I play in I can go from Gospel to Michael Jackson to Metal in the same set. The 5150III was an answered prayer. Each channel has a specific purpose and I fill in some of the (very small) gaps with pedals. The 100w has been my go-to amp for 6 or 7 years now, but I'm getting tired of lugging it around. So now I am considering getting a used 50w and having the DC mod performed by Voodoo Amps. It'd give me 95% of the amp I love in a much smaller package. A small sacrifice for tonal satisfaction.

So if the 50w 5150III is 95% of the amp Stealth5150 wants it to be I think that $300 or so for a mod is probably worth that extra 5%. Should the amp have come like this stock? Maybe. But Fender/EVH Marketing deemed it unnecessary for their target demographic.

23. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

As long as he's happy with his gear that's all that matters. Tastes are ever evolving. I used to hate les Paul's. Now I own 2. Funny things change. I'm

25. The Following 2 Members Like This Post: