Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Eruption
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:33 PM
    Liked 266 Times in 142 Posts

Premium Member

Default Convince me the 5150 III Stealth is better than my 50w.

I am so in love with the look of the Stealth. It looks so badass. And the volume jump on my 50w irritates me. But otherwise, I love my 50w. It's not too bulky, it doesn't take two hands to carry or easily bang into the walls. I surely don't need more gain. But I wouldn't mind the dedicated green channel and I would be keeping its gain very low to keep those cleans crystal clear. I doubt I'd ever use the red channel. There's a smoking deal on a Stealth on eBay now and it's tempting. Tell me which will make me happier - keeping my 50w or getting a Stealth. I can't afford to keep both and Mrs. Lee would probably notice it.

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:22 PM
    Liked 2,859 Times in 1,070 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Just do it. If the stealth is really a good deal you can always switch back to the 50w down the line and not lose any cash.

Didn't Howard or some friend at EVH offer to lend you one once?

Eruption
    Last Online

Premium Member

Yeah, he offered one, but it was right before a gig and I wanted to use my 50w for it. I suppose I could try one out, but I'm kind of an impulse buyer and might need a Les Paul or vintage Kramer next week.

4. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Eruption
    Last Online

Premium Member

There are now two on eBay, both for $1899 BIN, one with free shipping and one with $26 shipping. Man, this is tempting. But when I think about how much I want to do this, There are probably other amps I want more that cost less $$. It's just that I'd have to keep my EVH 50w if I got any of them. Just got a Roland Cube 80x last week and I love it.

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:22 PM
    Liked 2,859 Times in 1,070 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

If you've got the cash to basically trade your 50w up to the 100w Stealth I say you do it. Worst case scenario you switch back to the 50w if you're not happy. You may lose a tiny bit of cash, but consider that the cost of "renting" the Stealth to quell your curiosity.

As an owner of a 100w head I think the separate gain/volume on Channels 1 and 2 is absolutely mandatory. I have a few friends with the 50w heads and to me it seems their hands are always tied, there's always a tonal compromise. I think you'll enjoy the freedom of the three fully independent channels.

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Eruption
    Last Online

Premium Member

Yeah, I'm seriously thinking about that, but I've curbed my enthusiasm. Last night I couldn't get motivated enough to get off the couch and go play. Honestly, my SLO has better cleans than my EVH 50w and the guys in my Rush tribute strongly prefer the SLO. But the EVH takes effects so much better than the SLO and the blue channel is so awesome. I will stew on this a bit longer. There's a to-die-for vintage green Kramer Pacer on eBay now too, for which I have a strong hankering. Maybe I'll wait until I get fired at this job, since I really like to paint myself into a corner before breaking out of a funk. LOL.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,107 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I have both and let me put it this way---the 50w hasn't been turned on in about 10 months--I got the Stealth in July of last year and the only negative I can say is it seems a little to harsh at times but so does the 50w. Plus, I never really dialed it in--I set it up one time and have rocked it there every since opting to change speakers rather than amp settings.
    I have gone to all Scumbacks--damn--guess I better dial it in again LOL
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:03 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

Why would you not get a limited edition Stealth head? Go for it! Assuming it's affordable. That's why I don't have one. Saving up for the 5150-34 or whatever it's going to be called.

Eruption
    Last Online

Premium Member

Yeah, the more vintage-sounded EVH amp they're talking about interests me more. But that's gonna be another year at least before it's in stores. Maybe I'll get to try it out at NAMM in Jan., but they're militant about volume levels there and I'm guessing that's gonna be an amp that needs to be opened up to sound the way it's supposed to.

I couldn't care less about the limited edition or "exclusivity" of the Stealth. I just think it looks so badass and I'm reconsidering my tolerance for the volume jump on the 50w. Also, since the band for which I use the EVH head now practices elsewhere in a one level house, I don't have to carry a anything up and down stairs anymore. So the 100w wouldn't be as much a pain in the ass as it was before.

Eruption
    Last Online

Premium Member

I bought it last night. Should be here within a week. Though, truth be told, I was playing my 50w for a while last night, working on Sinner's Swing and Light Up the Sky, and I really think it sounds awesome. I run a Hall of Fame Mini in the loop and the rest of my pedals in front. For that kind of music, the 50w really gets the job done. I'll be curious to see if the Stealth sounds fuller. I don't need more gain, but I keep reading that the 100w and Stealth have a fullness that's missing from the 50w. Been so long since I played through a 100w, I don't recall the difference. I will be looking into any pre-amp tube that makes the green channel not break up so fast, but won't fuss with the others. Full report to come.

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:03 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

I love my 5150 III 2x12 combo. However, I will never buy another amp under 100 watts. Even though it's overkill. They sound better. Even at low volume.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
    I bought it last night. Should be here within a week. Though, truth be told, I was playing my 50w for a while last night, working on Sinner's Swing and Light Up the Sky, and I really think it sounds awesome. I run a Hall of Fame Mini in the loop and the rest of my pedals in front. For that kind of music, the 50w really gets the job done. I'll be curious to see if the Stealth sounds fuller. I don't need more gain, but I keep reading that the 100w and Stealth have a fullness that's missing from the 50w. Been so long since I played through a 100w, I don't recall the difference. I will be looking into any pre-amp tube that makes the green channel not break up so fast, but won't fuss with the others. Full report to come.
    I am pretty confident that you will love the Stealth 100 !!!!!!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Eruption
    Last Online

Premium Member

Ok, it's here.

Looks new in box. Rear mesh is a little warped, looks like something was pushing against it. Otherwise, all plastic wrap is still on and accessories look unopened and untouched. $1900 delivered. Not bad.

At first try with the 50w side by side, I dunno. I'm not hearing the Stealth's blue sound like the 50w's blue. I have the settings the same. Stealth green is going to require some cleaning up, perhaps with a JJ 12AU7 in the V1 position. If my A/B switch pedal worked, I could rig them both up with separate cabs and do a real side by side comparison. But I really am in love with the 50w blue channel. Perhaps I'd be better off with the Voodoo Mods concentric volume mod.... and out a lot less money for it. Will do more extensive testing and report back. Suggestions welcome.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
    Ok, it's here.

Looks new in box. Rear mesh is a little warped, looks like something was pushing against it. Otherwise, all plastic wrap is still on and accessories look unopened and untouched. $1900 delivered. Not bad.

At first try with the 50w side by side, I dunno. I'm not hearing the Stealth's blue sound like the 50w's blue. I have the settings the same. Stealth green is going to require some cleaning up, perhaps with a JJ 12AU7 in the V1 position. If my A/B switch pedal worked, I could rig them both up with separate cabs and do a real side by side comparison. But I really am in love with the 50w blue channel. Perhaps I'd be better off with the Voodoo Mods concentric volume mod.... and out a lot less money for it. Will do more extensive testing and report back. Suggestions welcome.
    Run it into a good 4x12 and crank it !!!

Eruption
    Last Online

Premium Member

It running into an EVH 4x12. When Mrs. Lee goes to the gym tonight, I'll give it a workout.