Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:14 PM
    Liked 1,471 Times in 1,002 Posts

Premium Member

Default Duke Professor Under Fire for Comments about "Strange" Black names

“Virtually every black has a strange new name that symbolizes their lack of desire for integration.”

This editorial is what is wrong. The Democrats are an alliance of Westchester and Harlem, of Montgomery County and intercity Baltimore. Westchester and Montgomery get a Citigroup asset stimulus policy that triples the market. The blacks get a decline in wages after inflation.

But the blacks get symbolic recognition in an utterly incompetent mayor who handled this so badly from beginning to end that her resignation would be demanded if she were white.The blacks get awful editorials like this that tell them to feel sorry for themselves.

In 1965 the Asians were discriminated against as least as badly as blacks. That was reflected in the word “colored.” The racism against what even Eleanor Roosevelt called the yellow races was at least as bad.

So where are the editorials that say racism doomed the Asian-Americans. They didn’t feel sorry for themselves, but worked doubly hard.

I am a professor at Duke University. Every Asian student has a very simple old American first name that symbolizes their desire for integration. Virtually every black has a strange new name that symbolizes their lack of desire for integration. The amount of Asian-white dating is enormous and so surely will be the intermarriage. Black-white dating is almost non-existemt because of the ostracism by blacks of anyone who dates a white.

It was appropriate that a Chinese design won the competition for the Martin Luther King state. King helped them overcome. The blacks followed Malcolm X.
    http://www.mediaite.com/online/duke-...e-black-names/
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:36 PM
    Liked 6,667 Times in 3,695 Posts

Anytime one of my black friend's heard a weird black name his response was "that's the victim of a young single mom"

3. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 2,028 Times in 1,265 Posts

He's right. No doubt they've been discriminated against in just about every aspect, and it's hard not to blame them for not wanting to use traditional white names, but not trying to integrate aint helping.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:27 PM
    Liked 18,063 Times in 8,926 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    He's right. No doubt they've been discriminated against in just about every aspect, and it's hard not to blame them for not wanting to use traditional white names, but not trying to integrate aint helping.
    Exactly. I understand where they are coming from, I really do. They got a raw deal, and in many ways still are. But they are not helping themselves, at all, they are just further removing themselves from mainstream America, and then they wonder why no one wants to open a business in downtown Baltimore.

They are bringing children into the world that have almost no shot at success. Single mom, four kids, three different dads, none of them in the picture, it just makes it almost impossible for the kids to have a foundation for life success.

Just one thing would make an immeasurable increase in the success of the black and a ever growing percentage of white households. Use a fucking condom. Go on the pill. Don't have children when you are not BOTH in a committed relationship and have the means to provide for their upbringing.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

6. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Exactly. I understand where they are coming from, I really do. They got a raw deal, and in many ways still are. But they are not helping themselves, at all, they are just further removing themselves from mainstream America, and then they wonder why no one wants to open a business in downtown Baltimore.

They are bringing children into the world that have almost no shot at success. Single mom, four kids, three different dads, none of them in the picture, it just makes it almost impossible for the kids to have a foundation for life success.

Just one thing would make an immeasurable increase in the success of the black and a ever growing percentage of white households. Use a fucking condom. Go on the pill. Don't have children when you are not BOTH in a committed relationship and have the means to provide for their upbringing.
    an ever inreasing part of the white population. Was out shopping with my wife and kids on friday night and we bumped into one of my wife's former students and his, again pregnant, mother. This would be kid #6 with dad #4 (not that he's around), 1 of the former dads is dead (hung himself in prison) another is in prison, not sure on #3. Why does she keep having kids? Because the province gives her more money for 6 kids than 5. As long as we keep funding bad decision makers we'll keep getting bad decisions.
    Last edited by It's Mike; 05.19.15 at 06:56 AM.

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 11:21 PM
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts

Premium Member

Substitute teaching, I've seen all kinds of names. I've seen one name—pronounced "day-juh-nay"—more than most and it's never spelled the same twice. And I'm always the asshole when I can't pronounce it.

One reason why I love this Key & Peele sketch:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 06:47 AM
    Liked 4,787 Times in 2,441 Posts

Premium Member

The thing that gets me is that to want somebody to conform isn't racist at all. Yes with names its a touchy subject because I have no problem if somebody uses an name due to their heritage. That said, if I am Croation and want to name my kid Miroslav well chances are people will associate that name with somebody being Baltic or Eastern European. Maybe they won't like it? However it happens to other ethnic groups/ However some of these names are like hippies naming their kids Rainbow, Sunshine, Peace or Apple. I mean yes they will be laughed at a bit in school and probably will be wishing they were named Lila or Jennifer.

I feel the same way with tattoos. You want to express yourself that is fine however realize that expression doesn't need to be shared by whatever company you want to work for. While its changing to a degree, you don't want a person all inked up dealing with customers. Not typically. So don't be pissed when you are passed by because you want something the size of a quarter dangling in your ear.

I would love to wear Zubaz to work but guess what? I can't. Its the real world. To be in it, you have to play by its rules. You don't get participation awards

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

Speaking of tats, I still want mine removed. And what's a 'Zubaz'?
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

Just looked it up.

You're fired.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

15. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 06:47 AM
    Liked 4,787 Times in 2,441 Posts

Premium Member

Have two pairs. Quite comfortable. Better than sweats.

My step kids are tatted up. I know in 10 years they are going to go WTF? Of course they don't think that because they are that much smarter than me.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 02:16 PM
    Liked 2,206 Times in 1,111 Posts

Premium Member

If you give your kid a wacky name, you set him up at a disadvantage. If you already feel you have built in disadvantages based on your income, language, family situation, or skin color, it's probably not advisable to put your kid farther behind by giving him a weird name. It's no secret that the African American community has latched onto the trend of giving weird names to their kids. If one is weary of racism effecting their children, it seems counterproductive to take that route because it simply makes race more readily identifiable on such things as school or work applications.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    If you give your kid a wacky name, you set him up at a disadvantage. If you already feel you have built in disadvantages based on your income, language, family situation, or skin color, it's probably not advisable to put your kid farther behind by giving him a weird name. It's no secret that the African American community has latched onto the trend of giving weird names to their kids. If one is weary of racism effecting their children, it seems counterproductive to take that route because it simply makes race more readily identifiable on such things as school or work applications.
    yup. Our office here is made up of i want to say 80% of people who have "ethnic" first names. Almost every single one of them doesn't use it in the office (myself included) or on their resume. Everyone uses an English sounding name instead. It sounds bad but you're much more likely to get a job (and an interview for that matter) if your name is Emily than if it's Fang , or if your name is Becky instead of Xiaoyan. Asians seem to get this, my dumb ass got it. The parents giving their kids this ridiculous names should get it too.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 02:16 PM
    Liked 2,206 Times in 1,111 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    yup. Our office here is made up of i want to say 80% of people who have "ethnic" first names. Almost every single one of them doesn't use it in the office (myself included) or on their resume. Everyone uses an English sounding name instead. It sounds bad but you're much more likely to get a job (and an interview for that matter) if your name is Emily than if it's Fang , or if your name is Becky instead of Xiaoyan. Asians seem to get this, my dumb ass got it. The parents giving their kids this ridiculous names should get it too.
    Yeah I see that all time as well. But the thing is, if it's an actual heritage name that has some deep familial ties, I have much less of a problem with that than I do with some BS that the mother just made up, such as:

Am'unique, Dorantay, Jamilika, etc.

Still, the point you are making is that people of Indian or Asian descent seem to make an effort to integrate by giving those more familiar names. That's basically the point that this professor was making. I fail to see why that's deserving of "coming under fire" other than it makes some uncomfortable to hear it presented in that way.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    Yeah I see that all time as well. But the thing is, if it's an actual heritage name that has some deep familial ties, I have much less of a problem with that than I do with some BS that the mother just made up, such as:

Am'unique, Dorantay, Jamilika, etc.

Still, the point you are making is that people of Indian or Asian descent seem to make an effort to integrate by giving those more familiar names. That's basically the point that this professor was making. I fail to see why that's deserving of "coming under fire" other than it makes some uncomfortable to hear it presented in that way.
    yup. It just becomes an issue of wanting your kids to succeed. We live in a world where people have prejudices and Am'unique isn't gonna do as well as Amy (all things being equal). I can't help my kids on their ethnic sounding last name but my son's first name is Joseph for a reason (he's named after his late grandfather Giuseppe). There's a reason we went with the more common english version of the name, it's because he wasn't born in Sicily like his grandfather. Just like I'm Mike here. If I moved to Italy and I was looking for a job I'd become Michele (my birthname). The same went with our daughers, they have English sounding names because they're Canadian and not Italian (their middle names are the names of their grandmothers - very ethnic names). It's really common sense. The parents Jamilka might want to get hold of some of this.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Just the other day, one of my friends met a woman he was instantly attracted to. Her name, unfortunately, was Klamytia (pronounced cla-MIH-tee-ah). Not only is this a terrible example of a made-up name, but he's really having issues with wanting to take it a step further.