Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 76 12341151 ... LastLast
    Last Online

11.26.16 @ 03:00 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

Default David Lee Roth Says Sammy Hagar Has a ‘Credibility Issue’ Read More: David Lee Roth

David Lee Roth says he’ll never perform Sammy Hagar-era Van Halen songs, and says the reasons are obvious. First, Roth was never sure about Hagar’s commitment to the work. Second, he says, the public has made it clear which edition they favor.
    “Well, there’s a credibility issue there,” Roth said, back stage at the Billboard Music Awards. “Good, bad or in the middle, you know Roth means it; the other guy doesn’t. And that’s why it sold half as well — literally, Midas Bible half. Never did better than half. And why would you bring that into the proceedings? This hamburger don’t need no helper. Ain’t no rehearsing pants in my closet.”
    Of course, Hagar has previously expressed his own opinion on this subject. “The difference between Dave and I in that band, besides all the other million things, is that he can’t sing any of the ‘Van Hagar’-era songs,” he explained in a 2012 interview with the Boston Phoenix (courtesy of Blabbermouth). “Maybe he could do ‘Finish What You Started,’ possibly.”
    Last night marked Van Halen’s first appearance at the Billboard Music Awards, which aired on ABC from Las Vegas. Roth just released his second project since returning to Van Halen, a live set titled Tokyo Dome in Concert. There, as with the band’s on-going concerts since his return, the setlists have focused on albums from Roth’s initial 1974–85 tenure, interspersed with songs from their 2012 comeback album A Diffferent Kind of Truth.
    Hagar’s principal work with Van Halen stretched from 1985–96. Both singers had subsequent reunions with the group: Roth returned in 1996, and Hagar was back for 2003–05. Roth has fronted Van Halen ever since.
    Asked about a potential studio follow up to A Different Kind of Truth, Roth struck a hopeful if non-committal stance. “I’m always writing and have written with a number of other people,” he said. “And I would always look forward to doing it again with Van Halen.”

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:45 PM
    Liked 866 Times in 508 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

No link. No commentary. Nothing. If your purpose in posting this is to stir things up, fine. Have the balls to cite the source and to say that you're "just reporting what's out there" and your opinion. I don't mind a pure David vs. Samuel thread, but don't hide behind some item posted somewhere, whether it's a legitimate news item or a blog posting or a comment to a news story or post. What do you think about this? Give your take on the comments and let the Links debate it.

I don't mean to be a dick, and I don't doubt that what you posted is legitimate. I haven't yet watched the red carpet stuff or any interviews or anything. But for goodness sake, please don't just post something to stir the pot just to be the first to to do it. Let's hear your opinion, and provide a link so that we may form our own. Then, perhaps, we can talk about it. At least before Fontcow slams this thread shut like my ass did when I was in the principals office after getting caught flicking spitwads in 7th grade math class.
    Last edited by UncleCrappy; 05.18.15 at 03:37 PM.

3. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

That was funny. I'm sure it's gotten back to Sam.

ARMBI! ( A Rebuttal Must Be Imminent)

I love this shit!
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

5. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:58 PM
    Liked 11,728 Times in 6,498 Posts

Premium Member

We saw the video. Do we really need a thread?
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

7. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Balance/Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

any that Mike played and sang
    Last Online

05.26.16 @ 06:55 PM
    Liked 182 Times in 99 Posts

I hope Roth didnt really say this....if he did then I am sad....this is the exact opposite of what I was hoping for....that these guys could put away the trash of and just be friends...maybe even put on a show together. Also, if he said it, its not very wise on his part, to start a fresh dividing of the fan base....just like in politics, if you choose to be a polarizing figure, you are going to lose half your audience....
    AKA Kevohman and KevohmanII

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    I hope Roth didnt really say this....if he did then I am sad....this is the exact opposite of what I was hoping for....that these guys could put away the trash of and just be friends...maybe even put on a show together. Also, if he said it, its not very wise on his part, to start a fresh dividing of the fan base....just like in politics, if you choose to be a polarizing figure, you are going to lose half your audience....
    Dude, it's the billboard red carpet interview. The way it's worded above sounds worse than the video. It's on this thread if you haven't seen it.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:14 PM
    Liked 1,471 Times in 1,002 Posts

Premium Member

Sammy has taken enough shots and so I have no problem with Dave saying what he said.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

Donor

People start threads when Sam says something. No one in camp Van Halen has said much of anything (about Sam)since Dave got back in the band. Why not have a thread?

RJD \m/

12. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by hagarfn View Post
    People start threads when Sam says something. No one in camp Van Halen has said much of anything (about Sam)since Dave got back in the band. Why not have a thread?
    The video is already on the billboard thread, it can be discussed there if we want to.

Ah, fuck it.

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:41 PM
    Liked 8,712 Times in 4,707 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Uh, the divide in the fan base has never gone away, especially with Sam stoking the flames every few months for the last 8-9 yrs. I wish Dave hadn't said anything because Sam isn't worth VH's time but oh well. Hopefully this will be the last of it from VH's side. I'm ready for the tour.

15. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    The video is already on the billboard thread, it can be discussed there if we want to.

Ah, fuck it.

People are probably going to start peeing on the toilet seat, but until the mods put a stop to it, I'm going to read and probably chuckle.

Nothing any of the current or past members say is going to change my love for the whole journey.

RJD \m/

17. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:52 PM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

Agreed .
    Sam gets a thread for every miniscule thing he says in relation to VH . Dave has been pretty quiet since rejoining . Let him talk .
    Not sure he really needed to 'go there' but oh well. Did I find it a bit unwarranted? Yes.

Do I think it partially stems from the critique of his live vocals? Yes.
    Will Sam be responding soon? Probably, yes.

Am I sick and fuckin' tired of this endless Sam vs Dave crap? One million times over...YES!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

19. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Kev

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:47 PM
    Liked 2,645 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    Uh, the divide in the fan base has never gone away, especially with Sam stoking the flames every few months for the last 8-9 yrs. I wish Dave hadn't said anything because Sam isn't worth VH's time but oh well. Hopefully this will be the last of it from VH's side. I'm ready for the tour.
    Well he was directly asked about the Hagar era music, it's not like he just randomly blurted out "Sam sucks!" or something. Just as Sammy often gets in trouble for simply answering what's asked of him. I don't know how Dave or Sammy can avoid it. I really don't have a problem with what either of them says. Honestly, they could probably be a lot more vicious than they are if they wanted to be. I never hear anything from either that genuinely sounds angry or mean, just kind of poke in the side stuff. It's a rivalry, but no one's getting hurt by it.

21. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:47 PM
    Liked 2,645 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    Agreed .
    Sam gets a thread for every miniscule thing he says in relation to VH . Dave has been pretty quiet since rejoining . Let him talk .
    Not sure he really needed to 'go there' but oh well. Did I find it a bit unwarranted? Yes.

Do I think it partially stems from the critique of his live vocals? Yes.
    Will Sam be responding soon? Probably, yes.

Am I sick and fuckin' tired of this endless Sam vs Dave crap? One million times over...YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have had it with this motherfuckin' Dave vs. Sammy debate on this motherfuckin forum!!!!!!!!!!

23. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:52 PM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by hagarfn View Post
    People are probably going to start peeing on the toilet seat, but until the mods put a stop to it, I'm going to read and probably chuckle.

Nothing any of the current or past members say is going to change my love for the whole journey.
    Whether the haters bash Dave , Sam , or Gary - I think it's comical . And sad partially sad for them .

VH music limited to a few years and albums , or VH music that spans 40 years? Hmmmm , let me think .
    I'll proudly listen to it all . And be a better , more well rounded fan because of it .

Cheers
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora