Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

Donor

Default Time for Mike's Tell All Book

It really appears that Mike is permanently out of Van Halen (I know stop the presses).

I'm okay with that. I'm hoping that cooler heads prevail some day and there are some appearances at different shows one day. That's the closest, in my humble opinion, we are ever going to get.

So, I've been giving this some thought, and it's really time for Mike's tell all book. I don't think Mike is as bitter as Sammy, and it doesn't have to be a "trash" Eddie book. It could just deal with how Mike feels and his perspective on the Van Halen history. Full access. I know I would buy it and read it 3 or 4 times. He could address such topics as:

1. His first days in the band, and his replacement of Mark Stone.
    2. His role in song-writing, and how it diminished over the years.
    3. Which songs and which albums he played on, and which ones Eddie insisted on playing on.
    4. The legendary tours, parties, and albums...for the albums, he could provide insight as to how Eddie worked...we always hear this from Ed, but never get anyone else's perspective...did Ed ever get writer's block? What was the easiest song for them to record, which was the most difficult, etc.
    5. The initial split with Dave
    6. The initial split with Sammy
    7. The Gary years
    8. The 2004 reunion
    9. A well thought out recap of his feelings dealing with him being removed from the album covers.
    10. His thoughts on Chickenfoot
    11. His overall thoughts of his bandmates - again, he doesn't have to rip them
    12. Some of his personal life, plus his hot sauce and bass guitars

I think it gets old --only reading Ed's telling of the history...Dave has done a good job of what he said when he was out of Van Halen and what he says now that he's back in...Al says what Ed says, and we've all heard from Sammy...I want to hear from Mike.

If marketed properly, I think the book would do well.
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Hang 'em High
    Last Online

10.25.17 @ 08:35 AM
    Liked 90 Times in 45 Posts

I'd definitely love to see a Mike Anthony penned VH memoir. Even if it just covered recording the classics and touring from his perspective it would be great.

Has he ever mentioned wanting to write a book?
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

If Mike wrote a book and was honest, there is no way it wouldn't ruffle a few feathers. No way. If 95% of what he wrote was positive-about the WHOLE journey- the 5% that might be seen as negative, would get snatches all twisted.

This place would be a hoot.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by extreme red roth View Post
    It could just deal with how Mike feels and his perspective on the Van Halen history. Full access. He could address such topics as:

8. The 2004 reunion
    Nope, not according to some posters around here. Per their decorum, if anyone talks or writes honestly about what went on around Van Halen in 2003-2004 with a "full access" perspective they are exploiting Ed's demons for their own gain, e.g., Red: My Uncensored Life In Rock by Sammy Hagar with Joel Selvin.

I'd love to read an autobiography by Michael Anthony. But it would have to be honest and include everything—warts and all—not just be a sanitized pick-and-choose account of the events in Van Halen between 1974-2005.

6. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fontcow View Post
    Nope, not according to some posters around here. Per their decorum, if anyone talks or writes honestly about what went on around Van Halen in 2003-2004 with a "full access" perspective they are exploiting Ed's demons for their own gain, e.g., Red: My Uncensored Life In Rock by Sammy Hagar with Joel Selvin.
    Correct. In the minds of those posters, the telling of such truths would force them to question Mike's "class act" status, and their heads might explode as a consequence...

DO IT, MIKE!!!
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 12:23 AM
    Liked 7,837 Times in 4,573 Posts

Premium Member

I used to be interested in a Mike book, but now...not so much.

He's too nice. He's had ample opportunity over the years, to "tell all", but basically, sugarcoats events.

Would he discuss why Ed, wanted to replace him all those years ago?

Would he speak of infidelities? The debauchery of living life on the road in a mega rock band? Sanitized lip service is perhaps, all we would get from him. I'll pass...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

Donor

I'm of the belief that Mike could expose warts and all and still not take jabs at Ed.

When I read Sam's book, he wasn't as complimentary towards Ed and Al as he should have been. I recall a few paragraphs about when he first sang with them...and they played "slow and in the pocket" and I understood what he was saying, and I know it was complimentary...but he just never came across as "I got to play with the most influential hard rock guitarist of his time, and my career was never the same." I don't remember all the complimentary stuff, and maybe that's the point.

So in this case, Mike's "classy" approach could really help, and yet we could still get that perspective that a lot of us have always wanted. A ghost writer would pull some shit out of him...I'm sure. Is Mike going to talk about cheating on his wife? I'd say no...the guy probably never did...so he won't have the blowjob stories that Sam had in his book...but it could focus on things we've always wanted to know about like the Oakland show...if it's really entirely in the vault...for example.
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Human's Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:36 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fontcow View Post
    But that's the stuff that sells, besides it's part of Van Halen history, it should be in there, unless people want to read a book about the happy clappy times in Van Halen and that's all. I would want both.

It seems everyone has to walk on egg shells around Ed, don't want to let it be known Ed was in a bad place 2003-2004 and was a dick to everyone. But it's alright that Ed tried to replace Mike on multiple occasions (Behind Mikes back) and let's not forget replacing Mike on the album covers. Ed comes off as a bigger dick than anyone in this band (Including Sammy) at least Sammy says what he thinks, Ed just ignores anything that will upset his little World, VH3, Sammy era or Dave era, depends on who's the singer at the time. Although i'm not sure if it's Ed that doesn't want the dirty laundry to be aired or the Ed heads at this stage.

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Mike thinks he's no longer in VH, because of performing with Sam. That's true, but there's much more that he should divulge.

He was on the chopping block, years before that. What does he think about that? Does he think he rightly deserved an equal share, all those years? Imo, he did.

He's accessible for interviews, but no one ever seems to ask him, about these things.

It's more than, "Ed just wants to play with his son". Ask Mike, about their mother dying and not offering condolences. Ask about Billy Sheehan/Berlin.

Also, I'm not entirely convinced that Mike was so sqeaky clean on tour either. If he didn't flat out cheat...he witnessed or participated in, shit that I'm sure he never mentioned to his wife. Unless of course, she accompanied him on every tour.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:08 AM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

We all know the basic gist of the story . I don't need another 'same old-same old' type of thing . We get that enough with Eddie's Guitar World interviews , for example .
    I don't think a book by Mike is gonna have any ground breaking insights that haven't been scrutinized already ...

Now if Mike decided to leak some of those 5150 sessions he has in his possession ? I'm all in , and prepared to spend big $$$
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:51 AM
    Liked 2,231 Times in 1,349 Posts

I would be interested in reading a book by Mike. But I doubt he would do it and I doubt that it would work. If Sammy's books didn't already coax him to do it, I suspect it's because he has no interest in rehashing things that he left in the past. I doubt he would be interested in opening old wounds or frankly examining the fact that members of the band he was in that was promoting an image of brothers in arms on stage and on tour was actually plotting behind his back to remove him when possible. At this point he has nothing to gain and everything to lose as far as fan loyalty goes

the only way this story could be told properly would be an authorized "biography" of the band where everyone gets to speak their mind and tell their story because what seems to be the issue here is that every member of the band has a different recollection/interpretation of what went down and why. The truth is usually somewhere in the middle.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:13 AM
    Liked 6,670 Times in 3,696 Posts

I don't think there's much money to be made with a Mike book and I think for that reason it'll never happen. He's got a great story to tell but I don't think he's all that interested in telling it and I can't imagine him taking the time to write a book when there's not a bunch of money to be made with it.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:34 AM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

He won't do it, for all of the reasons mentioned above and because the VH brothers would likey get their lawyers scouring the contracts for other ways to fuck him out of money, etc... They might go so far as to have Wolf re-record the bass lines for everything he ever played on.

He's not going to stick the bee's nest any more than he already has.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    I don't think there's much money to be made with a Mike book and I think for that reason it'll never happen. He's got a great story to tell but I don't think he's all that interested in telling it and I can't imagine him taking the time to write a book when there's not a bunch of money to be made with it.
    Mike's not Ed.

He doesn't strike me, as a guy who takes on projects, purely for monetary gain.

He'll tell his story, and it's not like he has a lot to do.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:13 AM
    Liked 6,670 Times in 3,696 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Mike's not Ed.

He doesn't strike me, as a guy who takes on projects, purely for monetary gain.

He'll tell his story, and it's not like he has a lot to do.
    Mike's human. If he was offered enough money he'd tell the story I'm sure. But he won't. I'm guessing for Mike it would have to be a very large number. He has, what's the word we often use, class.

And I think what you mean was Mike's not Sammy. Ed could have one hell of a book to write but he's much more of a "keep it in the family" guy. Mike and Ed are very similar in that way. Sammy would sell you out if he could make a nickel on it.

20. The Following 2 Members Like This Post: