Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Remasters

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:01 PM
    Liked 695 Times in 281 Posts

Default 2015 Remasters

The other thread on this topic was closed for some reason, so figured I'd start another one.

Although the next batch of remasters (VHII - Diver Down) have all been available digitally (on iTunes, Amazon, HDTracks, etc.) since March, it appears that the CD and Vinyl versions are close to being announced.

Amazon now has place-holder listings for the Japanese releases of the CD's, due June 30. Since the Japanese versions of VHI and 1984 came out two weeks after the US releases, I'm guessing June 16 or so for the US release date.

VHII

WACF

FW

DD

I already have the Digital HD versions, so personally, I think I'll hold out on getting the CD's until Japan does a mini-LP release with these new remasters.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:47 PM
    Liked 2,646 Times in 1,327 Posts

Wow, I had somehow forgotten that these were coming out. I'm skeptical but still eager to hear some professional and fan reviews. They'd be an auto-buy for me if they had some extras on them.

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:57 PM
    Liked 7,612 Times in 3,991 Posts

I already own the Japanese/mini LP-CD remasters, and those are fantastic.
    These domestic one's seem pretty boring by comparison.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for teacher
    Last Online

06.16.16 @ 05:14 AM
    Liked 505 Times in 231 Posts

I have the debut and 1984 remasters and I can hear a difference slightly. I can hear Mike's bass and the vocals seem more upfront. I like the difference so I spent a few bucks and grabbed both.
    "Give me somethin' to write on, man"

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:00 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

VH I new remaster compared to the gold cd. There's less hiss. Everything is louder. And Ed's guitar sounds crisper. Best way I can describe it. However, the gold cd still sounds really good. I hate to say this, it's almost like cd vs vinyl. Vinyl being the gold cd. It's warmer sounding. In my car I'll crank the new remaster. Headphones too. House stereo I'll probably stick with the gold cd. 1984 is similar in its crispness and volume jump. I never noticed the reverb on the background vocals on Jump before. So that's cool.

If like myself, you want the best possible sounding VH recording to hear every nuance, upgrade to the remasters. It's the only band I'm over the top with my demand for sound quality. I've never upgraded my Zep collection from the first remaster. Or any thing else. Only VH. Can't wait for DD! Actually I'm excited for all of them if I think about it.

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by AFU View Post
    VH I new remaster compared to the gold cd. There's less hiss. Everything is louder. And Ed's guitar sounds crisper. Best way I can describe it. However, the gold cd still sounds really good. I hate to say this, it's almost like cd vs vinyl. Vinyl being the gold cd. It's warmer sounding. In my car I'll crank the new remaster. Headphones too. House stereo I'll probably stick with the gold cd. 1984 is similar in its crispness and volume jump. I never noticed the reverb on the background vocals on Jump before. So that's cool.

If like myself, you want the best possible sounding VH recording to hear every nuance, upgrade to the remasters. It's the only band I'm over the top with my demand for sound quality. I've never upgraded my Zep collection from the first remaster. Or any thing else. Only VH. Can't wait for DD! Actually I'm excited for all of them if I think about it.
    As I'm sure many are aware, there are actually 2 versions of the 2015 remasters.

The CD, iTunes, Amazon Digital, and 96/24 HD digital versions all use one master that is generally louder and compressed with DR levels in the 8-9 range. Not that those are always bad things, as that is how the 2000 remasters were done (which still sound pretty good), and are more in line with "modern" mastering techniques.

The 192/24 HD digital and vinyl versions, however, are not compressed at all and have the full dynamics of the original tapes still intact, DR levels in the 12-13 range. These are the more audiophile-catered versions, and are obviously not as loud.

After spending a week or two with both, I decided that while I really liked the space between the instruments and the increased clarity in the non-compressed 192/24 versions, I missed the "punch" that comes as a result of added compression. I had gotten used to the 2000 masters over the years (which are compressed) and found that, to my ears, the non-compressed versions of certain songs like Romeo Delight and The Full Bug didn't have any balls to them any more. So I eventually settled on the compressed 96/24 HD versions as my go-to versions.

BUT, and this is a huge but, I don't have a sophisticated sound system. 99% of the music I listen to is through headphones on an iPhone while I'm on the train going to and from work, so I may not be the best person to judge by when deciding which of the two masters is best for you. If I ever got a nice sound system, my preference would almost certainly shift to the non-compressed 192/24 versions.

Edited to add: Btw, for those interested in comparing, the DCC Gold CD of VHI has a DR level of 12, and the 2000 Remasters of VHI and 1984 both had DR levels of 8.
    Last edited by Jack Panama; 05.14.15 at 02:32 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

09.15.17 @ 08:03 AM
    Liked 1,395 Times in 441 Posts

It's funny that this came up because I figured something out about the remasters when I ripped a song the other day to practice to.

I had ripped "Bottoms Up!" from an original VH2 CD and then mistakenly ripped it again from a VH2 remaster. I brought up both tracks in my audio software, and the original had lots of ups and downs, a really wide variance in the wavelength spectrum. But the VH2 remaster is almost maxed out sonically: the wave forms are nearly always at their peak with very little dynamic variance.

The originals are essentially analog. The remasters are just beefed out versions that I feel like lose a lot of the dynamics of the original recordings. I favor the original LPs and CDs.

Just remastering something doesn't do anything for me unless it was just really bad to begin with. I don't remember thinking that "Panama" or "Jump" just sounded "okay" back in the day nor did I ever think the audio could be improved upon.

A remix with additional tracks would be great -- but that's not going to happen. They're just getting me to buy all of the albums for a fourth or fifth time again because I'm a total sucker.

KBD3
    Last edited by Kevin Dodds; 05.14.15 at 03:15 PM. Reason: shitty spelling

10. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

Kevin, if you like dynamics, you should check out the new 192/24 remasters. They are in my mind a HUGE improvement over the original CD sound wise, but have not been compressed like the 2000 remasters.

7 Digital has the individual albums for like $21 each.
    https://us.7digital.com/artist/van-h...e/van-halen-4/

A bit pricey, but not too bad if you're curious.

12. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 07:21 PM
    Liked 181 Times in 82 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Panama View Post
    Kevin, if you like dynamics, you should check out the new 192/24 remasters. They are in my mind a HUGE improvement over the original CD sound wise, but have not been compressed like the 2000 remasters.

7 Digital has the individual albums for like $21 each.
    https://us.7digital.com/artist/van-h...e/van-halen-4/

A bit pricey, but not too bad if you're curious.
    Dod you have any advice on the new Vinyl remasters ? I have the last 180 gram pressings from 2000 and they all sound great, I am hesitant to buy all these again for no gain in DR ... I will though get the DD and FW even though my Japanese FW is killer ...

Your thoughts ?

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1, and Balance.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being.
    Last Online

09.24.17 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts

I have the 2015 remasters and to me there is a huge difference in sound such as; much more bass in all the albums including the two 1996 songs, Al's drums have much more punch and are more upfront in the mix which is a good thing, Dave's voice and the background vocals are extremely clear and much improved, and the overall mix has a lot more balls to it which I think is a great thing when it comes to Van Halen!

Don't hesitate to pick these up as they are a fantastic listen!

16. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Ryder5150 View Post
    I have the 2015 remasters and to me there is a huge difference in sound such as; much more bass in all the albums including the two 1996 songs, Al's drums have much more punch and are more upfront in the mix which is a good thing, Dave's voice and the background vocals are extremely clear and much improved, and the overall mix has a lot more balls to it which I think is a great thing when it comes to Van Halen!

Cheers Ryder5150 ... You may of just cost me money LOL ... I think what I will do is grab the DD and FW and like you say there is a vast difference in the 180g 2015 pressings from the 2000 180g pressings then I will have to go back and purchase the other 4 ...

I hope this is a start of doing the 85 through 93 years on 180g vinyl as well ... Though I must say while I like most of the moments on the new live vinyl I wish it was better mastered still seems flat and could of done with more air and space ... just my 2 cents though

18. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Song

Secrets
    Last Online

11.01.17 @ 03:25 PM
    Liked 607 Times in 299 Posts

I posted a question about the 2015 vs 180gram vinyl releases just recently in the songs/albums board (thinking that's where it belonged) but got no responses..... anybody wanna weigh in? I'd really like to hear what you guys who really know the deal have to say.

original post:
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/thre...inyl-Remasters
    A new short film I made, please like/follow:
    http://facebook.com/umbrellashortfilm

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:41 PM
    Liked 8,712 Times in 4,707 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryder5150 View Post

Lol, you are a great salesman. I hadn't given much thought to the 2015 remasters. But when I see the words "Al's drums have much more punch and are much more upfront" well, that has me reaching for my wallet wanting to order these from Jeff at the VH Store!

21. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1, and Balance.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being.
    Last Online

09.24.17 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts

Thanks guys. You nailed it as I have been a salesman(territory account manager) for 15 years, lol!!!!

If you guys want to listen before purchasing just go over to the pirate bay and download the remasters. A guy there is sharing all the 2015 remasters including the two 1996 tunes with Roth.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Donor

on what 2015 remasters are the two 1996 tunes with roth on ?

Oh I see them now on disk 7 ...

What I really want is Van Halen Best Of Vol 1 on 180gram 2015 remastered vinyl
    Last edited by Spool; 05.15.15 at 08:06 PM. Reason: update of info