5150, OU812, Balance, F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

08.28.16 @ 10:47 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

Default Supergirl on CBS

So yeah....this is happening

From that little clip, I suppose it has the potential to be kind of cool but it could also suck huge donkey balls. What is even more surprising is that this isnt being folded into the network that does Arrow and The Flash. THAT would make more sense. Either way, I have a feeling this wont get too much attention.
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=504401115
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/jedimasterkyle

BOISE STATE BRONCOS! - They're awesome. Deal with it!

11/16/04 - VAN HALEN in Boise, Idaho. Changed my life forever

8/8/06 - Sammy Hagar and the Wabos w/Michael Anthony in Boise, Idaho. Sam and Mike still kick ass

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

10.16.17 @ 05:01 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

This does have potential to be cool, but agree with the network issue. What is worse is that it is going up directly against the Flash on Monday nights in the same time slot.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

10.16.17 @ 05:01 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Correction. The CW just released their fall schedule and Flash moved to Tuesday nights. No conflict with Supergirl now.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

10.16.17 @ 11:12 AM
    Liked 1,835 Times in 1,069 Posts

this has a lot of potential

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

10.11.17 @ 11:50 AM
    Liked 323 Times in 177 Posts

Donor

I'll give it a shot, but if major movie makers still can't do Supes right, I have no real hope CBS can do much for Supergirl.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

MOS was fine. I thought it was good actually. I don't get what people bitch about with it....

7. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

10.14.17 @ 09:56 AM
    Liked 6,456 Times in 3,380 Posts

Premium Member

Why ‘Supergirl’ Could Be Perfect TV Superhero Counter-Programming

Following a big screen superhero renaissance in the last decade, where DC and Marvel characters are earning billions for the respective studios, TV networks have wasted no time in attempting to cash-in on comic book adaptations for the small screen audience. Superheroes are no stranger to network and cable TV, with William Dozier’s Batman series running for 120 episodes on ABC back in the 1960s, and more recently, Smallville racked up 218 episodes on the WB/CW. Yet there’s no denying that with over ten comic book adaptations airing or on the way, superhero shows are more popular and profitable than ever.

For every Constantine – recently put down by NBC – there’s a Flash, Arrow, or Agents of SHIELD (not to mention Daredevil) which will each run for multiple seasons, pull in millions of viewers, and secure prime advertising revenue (specifically the 18- to 49-year-old range). Lucrative prospect or not – especially for networks looking to diversify their offerings and tempt viewers away from competing programming – as the number of superhero TV shows increases, so does the danger of market saturation – especially with mounting expectations for crossovers and team-ups.

To that end, producers have been faced with a delicate balancing act: develop shows around notable comic heroes – characters that might not be suited for a film adaptation – while creating a series capable of pleasing longtime fans and casual TV viewers alike. To cover their bases, most networks have relied heavily on the dark and moody tone of procedural crime/court house dramas, melding episodic storytelling (approachable for fickle channel-changers) with super-powered stars (around whom younger viewers and comic fans will rally).

Recognizing that there were enough brooding superheroes on TV, Greg Berlanti and Andrew Kreisberg introduced a refreshing blend of heart, humor, and heroics into their Arrow spinoff, The Flash. Now, just one year later, the pair are delivering another colorful piece of counter-programming, this time on CBS: Supergirl.

Super Skepticism

When it was first announced that Berlanti and Kreisberg intended to bring Kara Zor-El (cousin to Man of Steel, Kal-El) to the small screen, plenty of fans, online journalists, and industry insiders balked at the idea. After all, Smallville maneuvered around the troubles of a weekly TV show about a character with god-like abilities by chronicling Kal’s discovery of his powers, “nerfing” the less cost-effective ones (most notably, flight). Since Warner Bros. had struggled to relaunch Superman for years (and Man of Steel is still a divisive topic among moviegoers), why should viewers be optimistic that CBS could portray a satisfying version of Supergirl on a small screen budget? Especially since the Supergirl plot synopsis made it clear that Kara is well-aware of her powers, having hidden them from the outside world for years.

How could CBS make viewers believe a girl can fly on a TV budget if it took this long for Warner Bros. to make audiences believe that a man (other than Christopher Reeve) can fly on the big screen?

Fortunately, the Supergirl first look trailer, released at network upfronts, shows CBS isn’t resting on their laurels and, in spite of initial skepticism, may have delivered a worthy entry in the superhero TV genre – one that, more than any other series before it, stands the chance of drawing in new viewers while also servicing longtime fans.

It’s impossible to judge the entire quality of Supergirl’s upcoming series based on a 6-minute trailer alone, but news that CBS has ordered a full season indicates the network is confident in Berlanti’s guiding hand, star Melissa Benoist, and the show’s overall place among competing superhero programs (evidenced by the fact they’ve scheduled the show for a head-to-head showdown with Fox’s Gotham). The trailer has its share of (arguably) cheesy moments, and Kara Zor-El’s choice of skirted crimefighting attire (while faithful) is already drawing criticisms from select fans; yet, initial reactions to the teaser on social media indicate that a lot of viewers are interested and, more importantly, excited to share the series with friends and loved ones that aren’t already on the superhero train.

Everyone from famous video game developers to optimistic stepfathers took to Twitter to express their enthusiasm – and see the show as an opportunity to bond over their love for superheroes with a whole new group of TV watchers.

Super-Powered Potential

While hardcore fans debate whether or not the series will be connected to the DC Movie Universe or the Arrow/Flash/Legends of Tomorrow TV Universe, Warner Bros. is busy tailoring a property for a previously-untapped audience, as a way into DC universe brands. Marvel has developed its network TV format as an extension of an established “house style” (where humor is in the DNA of every single film), but DC’s latest venture could be the first superhero program to genuinely cull a wide cross-demographic viewership – bringing women and younger viewers under the DC umbrella just in time for a Batman V Superman movie (that also features Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman). The return is even more poignant if the series succeeds in cross-promotion with established DC properties (either on TV or as a Agents of SHIELD-like offshoot of the Justice League movie slate).

Evolving from the Smallville formula, CBS isn’t holding anything back – placing a fully-powered Kara Zor-El in the National City spotlight. As a result, the character is poised to present an exciting hero (regardless of gender) but one that stands to reflect feminist struggles through the lens of a female superhero origin story.

Speaking about the show – and what Supergirl is really about, Benoist stated:

“What’s so wonderful about her is that she is such a relatable character, amongst her powers… What I’m the most excited about is telling a story about a human being really realizing their potential and their strength, and I think that’s something that everyone will root for and want in their own lives – I’m really excited about that.”

Following controversy around the depiction of Black Widow in Avengers: Age of Ultron, made all the more contentious by a lack of merchandise for female Marvel fans, a TV show featuring a heroine that can stand shoulder-to-shoulder with DC Comics’ mega-powerful Kryptonian hero is a welcome addition to the superhero entertainment landscape – especially if that heroine can reflect the struggles of her TV audience.

The Strength to Inspire

Similarly, just as Daredevil needed a gloomy and violent tone to properly depict the Man Without Fear, and subsequently found success at Netflix, Supergirl‘s source material is, comparatively, much lighter fare. That isn’t to say that Supergirl shouldn’t be taken seriously, or hasn’t been instrumental in powerful (and incredibly dark) comic storylines, but much like The Flash, Supergirl is at her best when blending self (and female) empowerment with a sense of wonderment, playfulness, and adventure often ignored by fellow DC heroes Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Arrow, and Batman, to name a few.

In an industry (and world) that has become dominated by doom and gloom, a Supergirl TV series is arriving at the perfect time, with a timely message: we don’t have to grit our teeth and push loved ones away in the face of difficulty. It’ll be awhile before we know what to expect from Supergirl, but the trailer and interviews with cast and producers indicate that Kara Zor-El isn’t going to be racked with self-loathing. She’s on a journey of self-discovery – that just happens to include super-strength and laser vision.

The point is hammered home by the conversation between Supergirl and Superman-confidant Jimmy– James Olsen (Mehcad Brooks), who explains to Kara that her famous cousin hoped she’d choose to be a hero one day but, ultimately, wanted it to be her choice (as it was his years before). It’s a relatable story for viewers from all backgrounds, regardless of gender, age, or ethnicity – we don’t choose the cards we’ve been dealt, but we can choose how to face them.

Should Berlanti succeed, Supergirl has the potential to remind audiences that long before it was trendy to be dark and gritty, superpowers and saving the day were supposed to be fun – and inspire us all to be our best. Let’s just hope that Warner Bros. has the foresight to ensure Supergirl capes are available in stores, so a whole new generation of super-kids can fall in love with a superhero, look to the sky and say: “Up, up, and away!”

After all, that’s why we’re fans of these heroes in the first place.

http://screenrant.com/supergirl-tv-show-cbs-preview/

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

10.16.17 @ 06:17 PM
    Liked 11,161 Times in 6,145 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thai Boxer 9901 View Post
    So yeah....this is happening

From that little clip, I suppose it has the potential to be kind of cool but it could also suck huge donkey balls. What is even more surprising is that this isnt being folded into the network that does Arrow and The Flash. THAT would make more sense. Either way, I have a feeling this wont get too much attention.
    Considering it's a CBS production the chances for it sucking are very good.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    MOS was fine. I thought it was good actually. I don't get what people bitch about with it....
    People don't read the books, so every version of Superman that's not 1950's barrel chested bland or happy, sunny spit curl Chris Reeve is going to suck for them. Fuck 'em... go watch Super Friends on VHS.

Back to Kara... I really hope the new series has some legs and gets a few seasons to explore some of the SG back history that's out there.

Hope they can even somehow adapt my favorite version of SG into the story lines.

If you read it... you knew her... you loved her.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

10.16.17 @ 01:54 PM
    Liked 2,022 Times in 1,014 Posts

Premium Member

Maybe it's just me, but for a main female lead she's kind of forgettable looking. She has more of a "friend in the background" look about her.

From the trailer it looks like they made "The Devil Wears Prada" with super powers. I'm sure it will find an audience, but it doesn't look a show I would watch.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

10.16.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 2,755 Times in 1,040 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

This doesn't look as terrible as I thought it'd be, but I don't think I'll be tuning in for this one.

SUPERGIRL is an action-adventure drama based on the DC Comics character Kara Zor-El (Melissa Benoist), Superman’s (Kal-El) cousin who, after 12 years of keeping her powers a secret on Earth, decides to finally embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be. Twelve-year-old Kara escaped the doomed planet Krypton with her parents’ help at the same time as the infant Kal-El. Protected and raised on Earth by her foster family, the Danvers, Kara grew up in the shadow of her foster sister, Alex (Chyler Leigh), and learned to conceal the phenomenal powers she shares with her famous cousin in order to keep her identity a secret. Years later at 24, Kara lives in National City assisting media mogul and fierce taskmaster Cat Grant (Golden Globe Award winner Calista Flockhart), who just hired the Daily Planet’s former photographer, James Olsen (Mehcad Brooks), as her new art director. However, Kara’s days of keeping her talents a secret are over when Hank Henshaw (David Harewood), head of a super-secret agency where her sister also works, enlists her to help them protect the citizens of National City from sinister threats.
    Somebody explain this to me, if I read it correctly the synopsis says she left Krypton at the age of 12 and at the same time as Kal-El. Then the series takes place 12 years later, where she's 24, but Jimmy Olsen has now grown up to be James Olsen and he has taken photos of a fully grown and established Superman. So shouldn't Clark only be 12 years old? How does that work? And more importantly, how does that timeline even get past the drawing board?
    Last edited by Jedi McFly; 05.15.15 at 07:15 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

10.11.17 @ 11:50 AM
    Liked 323 Times in 177 Posts

Donor

47's gonna rip your head off, dude.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    People don't read the books, so every version of Superman that's not 1950's barrel chested bland or happy, sunny spit curl Chris Reeve is going to suck for them. Fuck 'em... go watch Super Friends on VHS.

Back to Kara... I really hope the new series has some legs and gets a few seasons to explore some of the SG back history that's out there.

Hope they can even somehow adapt my favorite version of SG into the story lines.

If you read it... you knew her... you loved her.

that's not Kara Zor El, its a character named Matrix, she was basically a construct kind of character (actually made of that protoplasm substance she's shown here as) and she took the form of Supergirl on her home earth....it was a pocket universe where Zod and his crew actually pretty much whipped out humanity and our Superman had to go there and save what was left, he brought Matrix back with him to our universe and she was "super girl" for a little while....I have no idea whatever happened to her but she just kind of vanished.

Kara is only 24 cause she went through some kind of a wormhole or something, she arrived on earth a few weeks after krypton blew up to her but it was actually years to everyone else that's why kal is older than she is in the comics and on TV.

17. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Premium Member

Supergirl has had several origins. Even the most recent in the comics and the movie (MOS) are different from each other. Who knows what the TV show is pulling from.

I'm going with the MOS film tie in...

Man of Steel prequel is an official tie-in comic to the 2013 film, Man of Steel.

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

there have been about 4 supergirls....the first one was introduced in the 50's or 60's and she basically followed the origin I wrote above, she died a very heroic death in Crisis on Infinite Earths and was supposed to stay dead...DC had a rule that Superman was going to be the only Kryptonian that actually survived the explosion so he could be unique. the took a few of the other survivors and used crisis to rewrite their planet of origin (I know this is confusing but it made sense at the time).

a few years later they introduced Matrix, there were actual Kryptonians in that storyline but Kal actually killed them at the end as they had destroyed humanity on that earth and he really couldn't stop them so he used Kryptonite to kill them off (very controversial at the time)

a different supergirl was introduced a few years later, she wasn't from Krypton but had powers similar to superman. I think they were magical in origin. She also just kind of went away.

in 06ish they re-introduced Kara Zor El using elements of her classical origin and that's what they've ran with since then.

there's also Power Girl who is basically supergirl from an alternate reality, she's a cool character but her origin has been redone a few times to accommodate the changes in continuity.....