Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Eruption
    Join Date
    02.18.00
    Posts
    1,267
    Favorite VH Song

    Secrets
    Last Online

    11.01.17 @ 03:25 PM
    Likes
    227
    Liked 607 Times in 299 Posts

    Default writing credits Van Halen/Roth?

    ya know writing credits on A Different Kind of Truth were listed as Van Halen/Roth
    And I noticed on Tokyo Dome they list them as Van Halen/Roth too.

    So is "Van Halen" supposed to mean just Ed? Or does it represent Al & Wolf too?
    When I read it I think It's Ed & Dave. Like a Lennon/McCartney or Jagger/Richards kinda of thing.

    Ya know Van Halen/Roth aka Ed/Dave.

    (and of course I know VH has always given all 4 members writing credits. But noticed they changed it with ADKOT and kept it for Tokyo Dome.)
    A new short film I made, please like/follow:
    http://facebook.com/umbrellashortfilm

  2. #2
    Good Enough DRFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.04.15
    Posts
    1,779
    Favorite VH Album

    1
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm the One
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 03:41 PM
    Likes
    900
    Liked 1,943 Times in 913 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hide Your Sheep View Post
    ya know writing credits on A Different Kind of Truth were listed as Van Halen/Roth
    And I noticed on Tokyo Dome they list them as Van Halen/Roth too.

    So is "Van Halen" supposed to mean just Ed? Or does it represent Al & Wolf too?
    When I read it I think It's Ed & Dave. Like a Lennon/McCartney or Jagger/Richards kinda of thing.

    Ya know Van Halen/Roth aka Ed/Dave.

    (and of course I know VH has always given all 4 members writing credits. But noticed they changed it with ADKOT and kept it for Tokyo Dome.)
    It's because all the songs on ADKOT were written by Van Halen 30-40 years ago and Roth only changed the lyrics!!! Just kidding.

    When Sammy joined the band they stopped doing a four-way split on songwriting credits. The credits by 2004 went to the VH "brand" -- merely "Van Halen". Royalties are done by a negotiated percentage (at one point Ray Daniels had a higher percentage than MA). Because DLR is not part of the newly negotiated brand, they merely split the credit and probably renegotiated the percentages. I may be wrong but to me it's just the 'easy' way for them to handle it publicly.

  3. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  4. #3
    Atomic Punk Dave's Dreidel's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.10.05
    Age
    47
    Location
    Kate Upton's Closet
    Posts
    37,868
    Favorite VH Album

    Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

    The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Likes
    3,500
    Liked 18,114 Times in 8,948 Posts

    Default

    I believe they still did a four way split on songwriting on 5150, the reduction is Mike's cut didn't happen until OU812.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

    Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

    David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

    Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

    Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

    DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

  5. #4
    Eruption
    Join Date
    02.18.00
    Posts
    1,267
    Favorite VH Song

    Secrets
    Last Online

    11.01.17 @ 03:25 PM
    Likes
    227
    Liked 607 Times in 299 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DRFC View Post
    It's because all the songs on ADKOT were written by Van Halen 30-40 years ago and Roth only changed the lyrics!!! Just kidding.

    When Sammy joined the band they stopped doing a four-way split on songwriting credits. The credits by 2004 went to the VH "brand" -- merely "Van Halen". Royalties are done by a negotiated percentage (at one point Ray Daniels had a higher percentage than MA). Because DLR is not part of the newly negotiated brand, they merely split the credit and probably renegotiated the percentages. I may be wrong but to me it's just the 'easy' way for them to handle it publicly.
    seems an odd way to list writing credits. I mean you'd never list it as The Doors/Morrison. Or Beatles/Lennon. Van Halen/Roth to me seems to suggest Ed & Dave. Seems odd to list Van Halen in writing credits to mean Ed, Al & Wolf as a unit. But whatever…..
    A new short film I made, please like/follow:
    http://facebook.com/umbrellashortfilm

  6. #5
    Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.21.01
    Age
    49
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    3,561
    Last Online

    03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Likes
    433
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hide Your Sheep View Post
    seems an odd way to list writing credits. I mean you'd never list it as The Doors/Morrison. Or Beatles/Lennon. Van Halen/Roth to me seems to suggest Ed & Dave. Seems odd to list Van Halen in writing credits to mean Ed, Al & Wolf as a unit. But whatever…..
    It would fine attributing "Van Halen/Roth" as the songwriters for A Different Kind of Truth since Ed, Al, Wolf, and Dave are the band who recorded that album. However, when attributing it to Tokyo Dome Live in Concert it doesn't add up because Wolf should not be getting a writing credit for those songs from 1978-1984. Unless in another stroke of injustice Wolf now gets publishing off of the six-pack too. To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

  7. #6
    Baluchitherium Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.01.99
    Age
    47
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,238
    Favorite VH Song

    Humans Being
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 04:09 PM
    Likes
    468
    Liked 741 Times in 408 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I believe they still did a four way split on songwriting on 5150, the reduction is Mike's cut didn't happen until OU812.
    A buddy of mine said that he'd heard Mikey has more money than Ed / Al or Dave...Not sure that's true or not - but it makes sense. Mike's not divorced, didn't have the substance abuse issues of any of them and keeps a pretty low key lifestyle. He also said that Mike had made some very wise investments over the years that'd paid off; not sure on that - but it wouldn't surprise me if true.
    Winners come and go; legends are forever.

  8. #7
    Atomic Punk CaboChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.23.11
    Age
    45
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    15,617
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 05:59 PM
    Likes
    4,314
    Liked 7,838 Times in 4,574 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    There was a four-way split in the beginning. All for one...one for all...

    Bro's before ho's...you know what I mean?

    Mike making a shitload of money and being wise, with investments is not a good enough reason, for envy, by Ed.

    Mike was not a songwriter when he joined the band. This wasn't a secret...I'm sure. We have no other circumstantial evidence, for Ed looking down on Mike. Slept with Val, Mike having pictures of Ed, getting fucked in the ass, by Dave...etc..

    If it's just jealousy over money, then that was sorted around OU812. Problem solved. Mike playing with Sam, is also not a good enough reason to hate the guy. Ed was truly fucked in the head mentally.

    The alcohol truly ravaged the guy's rationality. The anti Mike paranoia reached a crescendo by 2004. I think, had Ed been sober in '04, he never would have made Mike sign anything away.

    Then in '07, mind still fried by alcohol, but in a somewhat better place, with the addition of Wolf...he tries to erase Mike from the history. Irrational.

    The real sad part is that he (Ed) is in a great place. He's finally achieved lasting sobriety, gotten remarried, and has his son by his side, yet still harbors hate imo.

    Yes, Mike wrote the forward to Sam's book and said it was the truth...yes, Mike may have or didn't call Ed to offer condolences on their mother. Who the fuck knows?

    I wanna believe that Ed, is just so ashamed of that time, that he just wants to bury his head in the sand and not deal with it. Mike is obviously, a sensitive issue for him. I couldn't live like that.

  9. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  10. #8
    Atomic Punk Dave's Dreidel's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.10.05
    Age
    47
    Location
    Kate Upton's Closet
    Posts
    37,868
    Favorite VH Album

    Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

    The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Likes
    3,500
    Liked 18,114 Times in 8,948 Posts

    Default

    I don't think he harbors hate towards Mike. I think indifference is more accurate.

    He wants to play music with his kid, Mike ain't his kid.

    That's it. If you guys are expecting some form of group hug between Ed, Mike and Sam, you might be waiting for a while. Think to your own lives. There is a guy I used to be in business with for about a similar period of time. He was never my favorite person in the world, but we co-existed for the common good. We parted ways in 2007, and I have seen him once since then. I harbor him no ill will, but I also have zero desire to interact with him on any level.

    Ed has no professional reason to interact with Mike, and he obviously doesn't have a personal love of the guy. I wouldn't read to much into him not reaching out to Mike, I truly believe it is more indifference than outright hostility.

    Now Sam is another ball of wax, that might be hate.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

    Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

    David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

    Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

    Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

    DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

  11. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:


  12. #9
    Atomic Punk CaboChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.23.11
    Age
    45
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    15,617
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 05:59 PM
    Likes
    4,314
    Liked 7,838 Times in 4,574 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    I think indifference is even worse than hate.

  13. #10
    Top Of The World The Space Ace's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.09.15
    Age
    23
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    Posts
    192
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Panama
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 06:39 PM
    Likes
    517
    Liked 131 Times in 78 Posts

    Default

    To my understanding, the "Van Halen" refers to all three of them. My ADKOT guitar tab book credits all four members as the writers of each song. Since the book publisher is required to obtain permissions and list the appropriate credits, I would guess what they printed is the information the record label gave them.

  14. #11
    Atomic Punk Dave's Dreidel's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.10.05
    Age
    47
    Location
    Kate Upton's Closet
    Posts
    37,868
    Favorite VH Album

    Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

    The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Likes
    3,500
    Liked 18,114 Times in 8,948 Posts

    Default

    My ADKOT tabs say "Words and music by Van Halen, Van Halen, Van Halen and Roth"

    To my knowledge, they have never split out "Music by" and "Lyrics by" in their sheet music like some artists do.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

    Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

    David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

    Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

    Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

    DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

  15. #12
    Atomic Punk japeape's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.05.15
    Posts
    7,870
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 01:33 PM
    Likes
    5,597
    Liked 7,614 Times in 3,993 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I don't think he harbors hate towards Mike. I think indifference is more accurate.

    He wants to play music with his kid, Mike ain't his kid.

    That's it. If you guys are expecting some form of group hug between Ed, Mike and Sam, you might be waiting for a while. Think to your own lives. There is a guy I used to be in business with for about a similar period of time. He was never my favorite person in the world, but we co-existed for the common good. We parted ways in 2007, and I have seen him once since then. I harbor him no ill will, but I also have zero desire to interact with him on any level.

    Ed has no professional reason to interact with Mike, and he obviously doesn't have a personal love of the guy. I wouldn't read to much into him not reaching out to Mike, I truly believe it is more indifference than outright hostility.

    Now Sam is another ball of wax, that might be hate.
    Excellent post.

    This is the way i see the situation as well.

  16. #13
    Good Enough DRFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.04.15
    Posts
    1,779
    Favorite VH Album

    1
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm the One
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 03:41 PM
    Likes
    900
    Liked 1,943 Times in 913 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    To my knowledge, they have never split out "Music by" and "Lyrics by" in their sheet music like some artists do.
    That's because Dave and Sam did not just write the lyrics, like some artists do. They wrote their own melodies.

  17. #14
    Atomic Punk Little Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.25.99
    Age
    45
    Location
    Pasadena, CA, USA
    Posts
    8,932
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 03:57 PM
    Likes
    991
    Liked 1,384 Times in 759 Posts

    Default

    Except, DD, if I had in my company a guy that is unanimously respected as "the nicest guy in the business" and has irreplaceable skills, I'd never fire the guy, I'd give him a raise. That's the big difference. No matter if I wanted to work with my son. That's just bad business.

    And if I'd done this out of some crazy phase, years later i'd still try to right it, in order not to have that kind of bad karma hang over me.
    Little Dreamer

  18. #15
    5150
    Join Date
    07.13.02
    Age
    43
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    649
    Last Online

    07.31.17 @ 10:58 PM
    Likes
    121
    Liked 94 Times in 60 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    My ADKOT tabs say "Words and music by Van Halen, Van Halen, Van Halen and Roth"

    To my knowledge, they have never split out "Music by" and "Lyrics by" in their sheet music like some artists do.
    So to some degree Wolf gets a credit to some of the material that was already written in 1976, but obviously on newer stuff he contributed to.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Energy, Carbon Credits, Pesky CO2
    By SLEEPER5150 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09.23.09, 08:16 AM
  2. Tour Production Credits
    By forrestjump in forum 2007 Van Halen Tour
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12.09.07, 12:28 PM
  3. a song for opening credits...
    By Lead Synth in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03.19.02, 03:34 PM
  4. respect the wind..credits
    By seenbad in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03.14.02, 07:05 PM
  5. VH Bootleg Credits
    By Mike Damone in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02.08.02, 05:12 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •