Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Eruption
    Favorite VH Song

Secrets
    Last Online

11.01.17 @ 03:25 PM
    Liked 607 Times in 299 Posts

Default writing credits Van Halen/Roth?

ya know writing credits on A Different Kind of Truth were listed as Van Halen/Roth
    And I noticed on Tokyo Dome they list them as Van Halen/Roth too.

So is "Van Halen" supposed to mean just Ed? Or does it represent Al & Wolf too?
    When I read it I think It's Ed & Dave. Like a Lennon/McCartney or Jagger/Richards kinda of thing.

Ya know Van Halen/Roth aka Ed/Dave.

(and of course I know VH has always given all 4 members writing credits. But noticed they changed it with ADKOT and kept it for Tokyo Dome.)
    A new short film I made, please like/follow:
    http://facebook.com/umbrellashortfilm

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:41 PM
    Liked 1,943 Times in 913 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hide Your Sheep View Post
    ya know writing credits on A Different Kind of Truth were listed as Van Halen/Roth
    And I noticed on Tokyo Dome they list them as Van Halen/Roth too.

So is "Van Halen" supposed to mean just Ed? Or does it represent Al & Wolf too?
    When I read it I think It's Ed & Dave. Like a Lennon/McCartney or Jagger/Richards kinda of thing.

Ya know Van Halen/Roth aka Ed/Dave.

(and of course I know VH has always given all 4 members writing credits. But noticed they changed it with ADKOT and kept it for Tokyo Dome.)
    It's because all the songs on ADKOT were written by Van Halen 30-40 years ago and Roth only changed the lyrics!!! Just kidding.

When Sammy joined the band they stopped doing a four-way split on songwriting credits. The credits by 2004 went to the VH "brand" -- merely "Van Halen". Royalties are done by a negotiated percentage (at one point Ray Daniels had a higher percentage than MA). Because DLR is not part of the newly negotiated brand, they merely split the credit and probably renegotiated the percentages. I may be wrong but to me it's just the 'easy' way for them to handle it publicly.

3. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 18,114 Times in 8,948 Posts

I believe they still did a four way split on songwriting on 5150, the reduction is Mike's cut didn't happen until OU812.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Song

Secrets
    Last Online

11.01.17 @ 03:25 PM
    Liked 607 Times in 299 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DRFC View Post
    It's because all the songs on ADKOT were written by Van Halen 30-40 years ago and Roth only changed the lyrics!!! Just kidding.

When Sammy joined the band they stopped doing a four-way split on songwriting credits. The credits by 2004 went to the VH "brand" -- merely "Van Halen". Royalties are done by a negotiated percentage (at one point Ray Daniels had a higher percentage than MA). Because DLR is not part of the newly negotiated brand, they merely split the credit and probably renegotiated the percentages. I may be wrong but to me it's just the 'easy' way for them to handle it publicly.
    seems an odd way to list writing credits. I mean you'd never list it as The Doors/Morrison. Or Beatles/Lennon. Van Halen/Roth to me seems to suggest Ed & Dave. Seems odd to list Van Halen in writing credits to mean Ed, Al & Wolf as a unit. But whatever…..
    A new short film I made, please like/follow:
    http://facebook.com/umbrellashortfilm

Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hide Your Sheep View Post
    seems an odd way to list writing credits. I mean you'd never list it as The Doors/Morrison. Or Beatles/Lennon. Van Halen/Roth to me seems to suggest Ed & Dave. Seems odd to list Van Halen in writing credits to mean Ed, Al & Wolf as a unit. But whatever…..
    It would fine attributing "Van Halen/Roth" as the songwriters for A Different Kind of Truth since Ed, Al, Wolf, and Dave are the band who recorded that album. However, when attributing it to Tokyo Dome Live in Concert it doesn't add up because Wolf should not be getting a writing credit for those songs from 1978-1984. Unless in another stroke of injustice Wolf now gets publishing off of the six-pack too. To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:09 PM
    Liked 741 Times in 408 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I believe they still did a four way split on songwriting on 5150, the reduction is Mike's cut didn't happen until OU812.
    A buddy of mine said that he'd heard Mikey has more money than Ed / Al or Dave...Not sure that's true or not - but it makes sense. Mike's not divorced, didn't have the substance abuse issues of any of them and keeps a pretty low key lifestyle. He also said that Mike had made some very wise investments over the years that'd paid off; not sure on that - but it wouldn't surprise me if true.
    Winners come and go; legends are forever.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:59 PM
    Liked 7,838 Times in 4,574 Posts

Premium Member

There was a four-way split in the beginning. All for one...one for all...

Bro's before ho's...you know what I mean?

Mike making a shitload of money and being wise, with investments is not a good enough reason, for envy, by Ed.

Mike was not a songwriter when he joined the band. This wasn't a secret...I'm sure. We have no other circumstantial evidence, for Ed looking down on Mike. Slept with Val, Mike having pictures of Ed, getting fucked in the ass, by Dave...etc..

If it's just jealousy over money, then that was sorted around OU812. Problem solved. Mike playing with Sam, is also not a good enough reason to hate the guy. Ed was truly fucked in the head mentally.

The alcohol truly ravaged the guy's rationality. The anti Mike paranoia reached a crescendo by 2004. I think, had Ed been sober in '04, he never would have made Mike sign anything away.

Then in '07, mind still fried by alcohol, but in a somewhat better place, with the addition of Wolf...he tries to erase Mike from the history. Irrational.

The real sad part is that he (Ed) is in a great place. He's finally achieved lasting sobriety, gotten remarried, and has his son by his side, yet still harbors hate imo.

Yes, Mike wrote the forward to Sam's book and said it was the truth...yes, Mike may have or didn't call Ed to offer condolences on their mother. Who the fuck knows?

I wanna believe that Ed, is just so ashamed of that time, that he just wants to bury his head in the sand and not deal with it. Mike is obviously, a sensitive issue for him. I couldn't live like that.

9. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

I don't think he harbors hate towards Mike. I think indifference is more accurate.

He wants to play music with his kid, Mike ain't his kid.

That's it. If you guys are expecting some form of group hug between Ed, Mike and Sam, you might be waiting for a while. Think to your own lives. There is a guy I used to be in business with for about a similar period of time. He was never my favorite person in the world, but we co-existed for the common good. We parted ways in 2007, and I have seen him once since then. I harbor him no ill will, but I also have zero desire to interact with him on any level.

Ed has no professional reason to interact with Mike, and he obviously doesn't have a personal love of the guy. I wouldn't read to much into him not reaching out to Mike, I truly believe it is more indifference than outright hostility.

Now Sam is another ball of wax, that might be hate.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

11. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:59 PM
    Liked 7,838 Times in 4,574 Posts

Premium Member

I think indifference is even worse than hate.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 131 Times in 78 Posts

To my understanding, the "Van Halen" refers to all three of them. My ADKOT guitar tab book credits all four members as the writers of each song. Since the book publisher is required to obtain permissions and list the appropriate credits, I would guess what they printed is the information the record label gave them.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

My ADKOT tabs say "Words and music by Van Halen, Van Halen, Van Halen and Roth"

To my knowledge, they have never split out "Music by" and "Lyrics by" in their sheet music like some artists do.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 7,614 Times in 3,993 Posts

I don't think he harbors hate towards Mike. I think indifference is more accurate.

He wants to play music with his kid, Mike ain't his kid.

That's it. If you guys are expecting some form of group hug between Ed, Mike and Sam, you might be waiting for a while. Think to your own lives. There is a guy I used to be in business with for about a similar period of time. He was never my favorite person in the world, but we co-existed for the common good. We parted ways in 2007, and I have seen him once since then. I harbor him no ill will, but I also have zero desire to interact with him on any level.

Ed has no professional reason to interact with Mike, and he obviously doesn't have a personal love of the guy. I wouldn't read to much into him not reaching out to Mike, I truly believe it is more indifference than outright hostility.

Now Sam is another ball of wax, that might be hate.
    Excellent post.

This is the way i see the situation as well.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:41 PM
    Liked 1,943 Times in 913 Posts

Premium Member

To my knowledge, they have never split out "Music by" and "Lyrics by" in their sheet music like some artists do.
    That's because Dave and Sam did not just write the lyrics, like some artists do. They wrote their own melodies.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:57 PM
    Liked 1,384 Times in 759 Posts

Except, DD, if I had in my company a guy that is unanimously respected as "the nicest guy in the business" and has irreplaceable skills, I'd never fire the guy, I'd give him a raise. That's the big difference. No matter if I wanted to work with my son. That's just bad business.

And if I'd done this out of some crazy phase, years later i'd still try to right it, in order not to have that kind of bad karma hang over me.
    Little Dreamer

Last Online

07.31.17 @ 10:58 PM
    Liked 94 Times in 60 Posts

My ADKOT tabs say "Words and music by Van Halen, Van Halen, Van Halen and Roth"

So to some degree Wolf gets a credit to some of the material that was already written in 1976, but obviously on newer stuff he contributed to.