Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Liked 11,731 Times in 6,500 Posts

Premium Member

Default BBQ Joint to Offer Discounts for White Appreciation Day - the Owners Arent White

White patrons who visit Rubbin Buttz BBQ in Milliken, Colorado, on June 11 will receive a 10 percent discount on their orders as part of White Appreciation Day.

While they realize the move might anger some people, the Hispanic owners, Edgar Antillon and Miguel Jimenez, are standing by their decision.

White Appreciation Day! June 11th. Because All Americans Should Be Celebrated, the sign posted outside the restaurant reads.

'We have a whole month for Black History Month; we have a whole month for Hispanic heritage month, so we thought the least we could do was offer one day to appreciate white Americans, Antillon told KUSA-TV.

The restaurant is already experiencing some backlash.

Civil rights activist Ricardo Romero called the discount a perpetuation of racism, while a spokeswoman with the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies said the decision could result in lawsuits if customers felt like they were being discriminated against.

But Antillon, whose parents came to America from Mexico, defended the planned White Appreciation Day, saying its meant to bring Americans together and help start an honest conversation about race.

Were all American, whether you came from a different country or you were born here, he added.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015...s-arent-white/
    "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesnt really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 6,671 Times in 3,697 Posts

great publicity ploy. Well played.

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

10.26.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

Yes, because white people have gone overlooked for far too long.

5. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by JakeK21 View Post
    Yes, because white people have gone overlooked for far too long.
    That's not the point he's making. In fact he was very clear about his reasons for doing this. And I disagree that this is a publicity stunt. He would not risk getting sued by liberal lobby groups or state bureaucracies just to sell some food. I predicted something like this would start happening in this country and I fully support what he's doing.
    "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesnt really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

7. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:36 AM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

I'll take a brisket sandwich on white bread with a side of German potato salad. And a pale ale.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Liked 10,834 Times in 5,697 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    That's not the point he's making. In fact he was very clear about his reasons for doing this. And I disagree that this is a publicity stunt. He would not risk getting sued by liberal lobby groups or state bureaucracies just to sell some food. I predicted something like this would start happening in this country and I fully support what he's doing.
    This white boy is actually considering driving the 90 minutes up the highway to get me some free BBQ! It will probably cost me more in gas than I would have paid for food to do so, but I support this guy's right to run his business as he sees fit.

Freedom of association and personal liberty need to be defended in this country against those that would choose to force others to adhere to their beliefs, morals, etc.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

10. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    This white boy is actually considering driving the 90 minutes up the highway to get me some free BBQ! It will probably cost me more in gas than I would have paid for food to do so, but I support this guy's right to run his business as he sees fit.

Freedom of association and personal liberty need to be defended in this country against those that would choose to force others to adhere to their beliefs, morals, etc.
    I just might have to make a donation myself and have them feed some homeless people with it.

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

If it's not for publicity then these people ain't too fucking bright.

14. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.30.16 @ 11:24 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts

Absolutely brilliant marketing. Well played, Rubbin Buttz BBQ. Especially because the owners are not Caucasian -- which enhances the legitimacy. But still funny none-the-less.

On the other hand, his intentions may not have unintended consequences. For example, other ethnic store owners may follow his lead (and perhaps take it a bit further) and may inflate this into something more inflammatory than intended.

But why is there no "Miss Asian America" pageant? Why is there no European Immigrants Month? Why is there no "Miss Hispanic America" pageant? Why is there no "Miss Italian America" pageant? I, for one, am offended the current pageants allow the contestants to speak and wear more than bikinis.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    If it's not for publicity then these people ain't too fucking bright.
    Why do you think that, Mike?

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

simple rhyme
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:45 AM
    Liked 1,204 Times in 532 Posts

That's why his mother calls him son.... because he is so bright...

GET READY....
    WHAT IS UNDERSTOOD NEED NOT BE DISCUSSED

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Because you just know these guys are gonna be fighting off a court case from an asshole lawyer claiming his client's rights were abused. That's a lead pipe lock.

So I think this is one of two things:

1) a silly sign not meant to go beyond the store's main customer base to have some fun with a serious topic (race in America) . They figured their regulars would find it funny and it might attract some local good attention. Basically a genius marketing plot to get people talking. I think this is the most likely scenario.

2) these guys were making some sort of political statement and didn't mean it as a way to attract customers but rather attention to their cause. If this is the case they are dumb and likely to be out of business soon.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

19. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:36 AM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

Looks like he's already taking some hits.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 2,028 Times in 1,265 Posts

Not really needed now. When we're the minority then we can complain how we're being wronged and not appreciated.

This just seems like promotion, too me. I'd be more happy for Mexicans learning English and assimilating into the culture.

22. The Following Member Likes This Post:

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 6,823 Times in 3,568 Posts

Premium Member

Hispanic-owned BBQ joint hit with bomb scare over White Appreciation Day

DENVERThe Hispanic restaurant owners who ignited an uproar over their plans to hold White Appreciation Day next month were forced to evacuate their barbecue joint late Friday after a bomb scare.

Co-owner Edgar Antillon said Rubbin Buttz BBQ in Milliken, Colorado, was shut down for several hours during the dinner rush after a bomb threat in posts on social media, but he later said that the eatery plans to reopen Saturday.

Shortly before the evacuation, Mr. Antillon told the Washington Times that he has received numerous threats and criticism over the restaurants plan to hold White Appreciation Day on June 11. Mr. Antillon and Miguel Jiminez bought the restaurant last month.

Its been phone calls, its been emails, its been on social media, said Mr. Antillon. Some are just, Hey, youre an idiot, and others have been legit threats. The former owners of this establishment are receiving threats even though they have nothing to do with this thing. Its unfortunate.

He announced Thursday on Twitter that white customers would receive 10 percent off their tab on White Appreciation Day, but he emphasized Friday that the discount would apply to all patrons, regardless of their race.

Its like weve said many times before, if a black person comes in here and says, Hey, what about my discount, theyre going to get a discount, Mr. Antillon said. If a Mexican comes in here and says, I want a discount, theyre going to get a discount. Nobodys going to be turned down for anything.

That may be enough to satisfy the Colorado Civil Rights Division, which investigates complaints of unequal treatment based on race, but it remains to be seen whether the clarification will rein in the restaurants detractors.

You name it: Its been Mexicans, its been white people. Its been threats as small as, Were never coming back to your restaurant, to, I hope I dont see you on the street, Mr. Antillon said. Its been all levels from everybody.

He said the idea behind White Appreciation Day is to highlight a double standard, citing the month-long celebrations for black history and Hispanic heritage, and remind patrons that, Were all Americans.

It wasnt something that we took lightly and just jumped the gun. We thought about it, we thought about the consequences, we thought about our families, Mr. Antillon said. And we still decided that, well, we could live in fear and not do anything, or try and make a statement, make a point that all this racial tension.

On the plus side, he said the positive comments about the idea have outweighed the negative.

The messages that were receiving are overwhelmingly positive, Mr. Antillon said. Here at the restaurant, theres no change. People may laugh at it. I had two guysa Mexican guy and a white guywho came in all the way from Pueblo to eat our food.

Mr. Jiminez hails from Mexico, as do Mr. Antillons parents, but that hasnt inoculated them from charges of racism on social media. A list of negative Tweets compiled by the conservative website SooperMexican includes several comments along the lines of, Every day is white appreciation day.

The restaurant owner whos celebrating white appreciation day w/10% discount is Latino. Do whites cheering know that? Oh the irony, said one Tweet.

SooperMexican responded, Yes, actually, its widely reported, you idiot. I guess white people should be offended a Hispanic person would do that?

After the bomb threat, Michael Lewin of Los Angeles told the restaurant owners on Facebook, You brought this on yourselves, so own it. What you are doing is in poor taste and negates the struggle that millions of people have endured. Its tasteless and shows a lack of understanding of history and a lack of empathy.

Mr. Antillon said the toughest part about the hoopla has been his concern over the safety of his four children, who are home-schooled. Anyone itching to stir up trouble may want to bear in mind that hes an NRA firearms instructor known for his organization Guns for Everyone, which offers free concealed-carry classes.

Today was the first day in the entire time weve been here that I actually told my kids, Dont go outside, stay inside. It was very emotional for me, Mr. Antillon said. Today was just one of those days when I felt it wasnt safe for them because of the threats.

If hes having second thoughts, however, he isnt showing it. After regaining access to the restaurant Friday, he posted photos on Facebook of the rubbed prime rib he plans to serve Saturday on sandwiches, along with smoked filet mignon.

Stay strong brother, said Charley Barnes on the Rubbin Buttz BBQ page. [T]housands are behind you and the more bomb threats you get the more we support you!

Judging from the reaction, there could be a large crowd descending on the restaurant come June 11. Mr. Antillon said he has already discussed security concerns with local authorities in the town of about 6,000.

Ive talked to the police chief here to set up a plan just in case there are protesters, how were going to feed the protesters, Mr. Antillon said. I figure some barbecue will keep the peace a little bit.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...urant-hit-bom/