Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Default The Great Outdoors Thread

Hey all.
    I'm starting this thread as Summer's just upon us as are the long weekends and holidays that come with them, and wondering what you all do for outdoor activity.
    I was hoping we could all discuss and post pics and vids (if you got 'em) of our favorite activities weather it be hunting (please keep that part civil!!!) ,fishing, camping, ATV/dirt biking, mountain biking, paddling kayaks or canoes...rock climbing...Whatever. As long as it's outdoorsy.

I myself do most of above described, but a buddy is actually giving me a pair of his older fishing kayaks, a 10 ft., and 12 ft. pair of Ascends from Bass Pro Shops, as he's upgrading to some newer models. I have not paddled in years, and my wife is pretty green at it so it will be fun.
    Can't wait to get out there for some trout and bass this year.
    I also do some MD relic hunting most of the year of old 1800's military sites, gold rush and logging camps, etc.. and I've found some pretty cool old 1800's artifacts from my area.
    Hopefully things will turn around a little financially to get my old Enduro bikes up and running. They've been sitting for almost 5 years with need of some carb and gearbox work, but I've had a bear of a time getting parts.

So that's the deal!
    I hope this will be a cool thread where we can all get together and have fun...Maybe inspire others to try a new activity.
    Have fun!

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

"That was quite a surprise. I mean, ah, you got me. And the whole week you'll be here? Ha ha ha. Okay. Oh, wow. Just somethin'."

Lot's 'o fishin' and cabins for me this year.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Summer months are where we really thrive up here in the PNW....kind of the only time unless you're hardcore. We mostly fish, golf, shoot the guns, garden, camp and hike. Our calendars are booked literally a month and a half to 3 months in advance. Last month is when the rain broke and temps lifted a bit so we went to central Oregon High desert to hike Smith Rock (should be on the countries "must see" list) and played some golf too. Last weekend we went shooting (Shotty, .45, 9mm, my old great aunts 38, and the real fun one, my Brothers M4). Tomorrow we're going up the Columbia River Gorge and hiking a trail I've been wanting to check out called Dog Mountain and taking our new dog to test him out on the trails. Next weekend back to Central Oregon again to do some fly fishing for trout. Next month I'll raft the Rogue River with my Son on our third annual father/son raft trip. 3 days camping with 2 full ones on the water.

I got my Son his first Sturgeon and Salmon both this year, trying to expose him to all the region has to offer. My Daughter is off to college this fall (old timers....can you believe that shit??), so it'll be me and the boy from here on out. Daughter has a profound love of the outdoors, hope he does too. Have been thinking about getting a couple enduro's for exploration in a year or two, so you can check the box if you were looking to inspire with this thread! :-)

Here's some pics:
    My Son fighting his first Sturgeon, landing it, then his first salmon a few weeks ago.
    sturgeon fight.jpgsturgeon landed.jpgfirst salmon.jpg
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

5. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

garden.jpgM4.jpgsantiam hike.jpg

Our garden, my Cousin shooting my Bro's M4 last weekend and a little hike we did with the girls on the Santiam River (it was about 6 miles to that spot).

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

boy scout hike.jpgLeo.jpgmy whopper.jpg

That's a hike we did with the boy scouts locally here a couple weeks ago, our new hiking/camping buddy/family dog Leo and finally my kick ass gigantic Sturgeon.

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Cool! Where do you usually fish, lakes, rivers, or open water? and what usually?
    In the fall, I usually go for salmon...sockeye if the run is good and we get a decent opening, but the summer months, it's bass, trout. I do a lot of home smoking too, and there's nothing better than doing up a nice batch of sockeye. A couple years ago, I did up about 50 lbs. or so. Gave a lot to coworkers, and they're expecting more this year! lol!
    I do both shoreline spinning, and fly fishing. I'm hoping to do some deep lake trolling this year.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad View Post
    Summer months are where we really thrive up here in the PNW....kind of the only time unless you're hardcore. We mostly fish, golf, shoot the guns, garden, camp and hike. Our calendars are booked literally a month and a half to 3 months in advance. Last month is when the rain broke and temps lifted a bit so we went to central Oregon High desert to hike Smith Rock (should be on the countries "must see" list) and played some golf too. Last weekend we went shooting (Shotty, .45, 9mm, my old great aunts 38, and the real fun one, my Brothers M4). Tomorrow we're going up the Columbia River Gorge and hiking a trail I've been wanting to check out called Dog Mountain and taking our new dog to test him out on the trails. Next weekend back to Central Oregon again to do some fly fishing for trout. Next month I'll raft the Rogue River with my Son on our third annual father/son raft trip. 3 days camping with 2 full ones on the water.

I got my Son his first Sturgeon and Salmon both this year, trying to expose him to all the region has to offer. My Daughter is off to college this fall (old timers....can you believe that shit??), so it'll be me and the boy from here on out. Daughter has a profound love of the outdoors, hope he does too. Have been thinking about getting a couple enduro's for exploration in a year or two, so you can check the box if you were looking to inspire with this thread! :-)

Here's some pics:
    My Son fighting his first Sturgeon, landing it, then his first salmon a few weeks ago.
    sturgeon fight.jpgsturgeon landed.jpgfirst salmon.jpg
    Dude! That's awesome!
    Sturgeon are cool as hell. Sometimes fishing for salmon, a sturgeon will hit the line. We had a 4 footer a few years ago at the mouth of the Fraser, and damn! He was fighting like mad! We ended up losing him on a snag on a deadhead, but he would have been amazing to get some shots of. Maybe we'll head out and try to catch some this year...Need higher test line though! lol

I have an old Husqvarna 303, and a Browning .22 that I use. The 303 is awesome. Dead accurate, and the 22 I usually use with my nephew when I take him out plinking. He's getting to be a pretty good shot!
    He's putting me to shame these days, and I used to be a competitive shooter!
    Last edited by we die young; 05.08.15 at 10:59 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

The salmon and sturgeon there were both caught basically downtown Portland on the Williamatte and Columbia river (they join together in Portland). So those were river fish, salmon on the troll, Sturgeon off the bottom anchored up. We'll fish Rivers, lakes and Ocean, for everything you can harvest here. Salmon (King and Coho), Sturgeon, Halibut, deep sea bottom fish (ling, sea bass etc), Kokanee salmon in a few of the lakes, then we sometimes try to do Tuna (albacore) once a year. The guy in the pic with my son is a dude I helped learn some of the water around here who has since turned guide full time, so I get a pretty nice buddy rate. ;-) And we'll go clamming a few times a year too. My smoker runs full time in the fall also, between salmon and jerky, I'm a busy guy on the weekend evenings...which gives me ample opportunity to drink beer!

...I've never fished from the shore at the beach before, but I've seen a bunch of Asian guys doing it and looks like they're doing pretty good for what I'm assuming is Perch. Doesn't look like my thing, at least right now. Maybe some day.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:56 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Great thread! We live outside...all year...even in the coldest weather. Family hikes are the big one but any excuse to get outside. NOW..the big question...secret family recipes for mosquito repellent??? Anyone?
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    Dude! That's awesome!
    Sturgeon are cool as hell. Sometimes fishing for salmon, a sturgeon will hit the line. We had a 4 footer a few years ago at the mouth of the Fraser, and damn! He was fighting like mad! We ended up losing him on a snag on a deadhead, but he would have been amazing to get some shots of. Maybe we'll head out and try to catch some this year...Need higher test line though! lol

Back a few years up by the Dam I hooked on to some old gear at the bottom and started hand spooling some line that was sure to get hooked again where we were so I decided to just clean it up. While pulling it up it went tight so I thought I found a snag on the bottom, but it was giving a little bit so just kept wrenching it up as I could, figured it was a log. All in a sudden I see color and this giant fucker wakes up realizing he's not on the bottom anymore. I hand lined a 6 foot monster! It jumped and splashed us and I had the presence of mind to grab a knife and cut that line or it would have taken my arm off going back down! Almost shat myself.

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by jetguy5150 View Post
    Great thread! We live outside...all year...even in the coldest weather. Family hikes are the big one but any excuse to get outside. NOW..the big question...secret family recipes for mosquito repellent??? Anyone?
    Bounce dryer sheets.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by jetguy5150 View Post
    Eat garlic capsules daily starting a few months prior to Mosquito season and just maintain it. Good for the body anyway, and seems to really detour mosquito's. My daughter did this as an alternative to deep soaked clothing when she went to Haiti on a mission trip. We didn't like the idea of that shit soaking in to her skin for two weeks so went alternative with garlic. She came home with maybe 6 bites vs. her deep soaked friends who still had 60.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by TheresOnlyOneWay View Post
    Bounce dryer sheets.
    Those work great for yellow jackets too. Best thing I've found to ward them off.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad View Post
    Back a few years up by the Dam I hooked on to some old gear at the bottom and started hand spooling some line that was sure to get hooked again where we were so I decided to just clean it up. While pulling it up it went tight so I thought I found a snag on the bottom, but it was giving a little bit so just kept wrenching it up as I could, figured it was a log. All in a sudden I see color and this giant fucker wakes up realizing he's not on the bottom anymore. I hand lined a 6 foot monster! It jumped and splashed us and I had the presence of mind to grab a knife and cut that line or it would have taken my arm off going back down! Almost shat myself.
    Haha! Good call!
    That's the thing with sturgeon. Often they don't hit like a regular fish unless they are agitated or real hungry.
    The last one I actually landed near an old hydro damn was about three ft., and I thought I had simply snagged a stump that was semi adrift in the outflow current, so I was up and down the river in my hipwaders trying to not lose my gear, and get it closer. Then all of a sudden my reel started screaming, and my line going from one side of the river to the other!
    It took about a half hour to get him in, and avoid snagging on the rocks, and fallen tree limbs. It was a blast....Not huge, but a beautiful fish! Think my old man got a picture of me with it.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by TheresOnlyOneWay View Post
    Bounce dryer sheets.
    I've heard that too.
    I should try it this year...Wonder if it also works with Horse flies. Those bastard bite like an MF'r, and they just don't let up. You brush them away, and they'll land on your neck, or your legs, and they leave a very nasty welt.