Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

10.27.16 @ 06:27 PM
    Liked 6,055 Times in 3,292 Posts

Premium Member

Default JAY JAY FRENCH: Rock Is 'An Aging Genre' That Is Not 'Replenishing Its Stock'

May 7, 2015

In a brand new interview with "The Jim Chinnici Radio Show" on, TWISTED SISTER guitarist Jay Jay French was asked if he thinks any of the newer hard rock artists have a shot at becoming arena-sized acts once the current crop of dinosaur bands are no longer around. He responded (hear audio below): "Rock is a mature medium, and it's kind of aging itself out, and it doesn't seem to be replenishing its stock. And that's the saddest part of the rock business."

He continued: "When people get into this controversy about 'is rock dead?' and they go, 'How could you say rock is dead? Look at you guys. Look at these festivals. They're selling millions of tickets. I go, 'Yes, that is true.' But here is the difference. The diference is, when I was 17 years old… So, listen carefully, 'cause this really is the difference… When I was 17, none of my heroes — THE BEATLES, THE [ROLLING] STONES, THE WHO, LED ZEPPELIN, THE GRATEFUL DEAD, [PINK] FLOYD… None of those guys were older than 27; most of them were 25 years old. Think about this for a second. Most of these guys were 25 or 26 when I was 17. You tell me how many unbelievably great rock musicians there are that are 25 years old right now. You're gonna have to think long and hard. You're gonna find tons of female pop artists, tons of hip-hop [artists] or rappers, tons of country artists. Name me any [rock] bands that are 25 and younger who are blowing up the charts. That's the scary part — the replenishment of the genre."

French added: "It's an aging genre. Do I believe it can reinvent itself? I believe it is reinventing themselves. I think IMAGINE DRAGONS is part of the world that's reinventing it. People say, oh, they don't like 'em, but, you know, they're just… they are another way of playing rock. I get it. But rock itself is an aging medium and it hasn't replenished its ranks, and the kids aren't dreaming about being rock stars and playing air guitar and thinking they're Jimi Hendrix and all that stuff like they were in my generation. So think about how lucky I was to be 17 years old and all the artists that I went to see were no older than 25 or 26 — 27 at the oldest. Now we're playing around the world with WHITESNAKE and KISS and MOTÖRHEAD or AC/DC or JUDAS PRIEST and DEF LEPPARD. And how old are we all? 55 to 60. I mean, when I was 17, I never saw anybody… The only people 55 to 60 were, like, classical musicians. There was no rockers… I would never go see a rocker who was 55 or 60 years old — 'cause there weren't any, and it didn't seem to me a possibility. Now, all the biggest arena rock acts that are still around, whether it's [Bruce] Springsteen or U2 or THE STONES are, like, 70 or 75. I don't even know how old THE STONES are. But the point is we're all aging out, and what's gonna happen when we all go? What will happen when the TWISTED SISTERs and the WHITESNAKEs and the DEF LEPPARDs and the MOTÖRHEADs and the [BLACK] SABBATHs finally call it a day. Who's coming up and replacing us? I don't even know the answer to that. So you've gotta go see it while you can. And with TWISTED, it's especially apropos, because we're playing out the shows this year, and 2016 is gonna be… It's gonna be, like, the end."

"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

10.27.16 @ 07:44 AM
    Liked 853 Times in 527 Posts

Premium Member

Sad but true
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs maybe
    Last Online

10.27.16 @ 04:43 PM
    Liked 170 Times in 103 Posts

Twisted Sister is awesome. They only got one good record, but it's real good. Wise words, especially because it's nothing outrageous, just flat true.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

10.25.16 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 265 Times in 128 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Man View Post
    They only got one good record, but it's real good.
    Under The Blade, You Can't Stop Rock & Roll and Stay Hungry are all great.