Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:00 AM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Default Very proud of my hometown

Gloucester police announce changes to heroin policy

GLOUCESTER, Mass. (MyFoxBoston.com) -- Police in one North Shore town are turning to alternatives to try and tackle the growing heroin problem in Massachusetts.

The Gloucester Police Department announced a number of changes to their policies and the way they handle addicts beginning in June.

"Any addict who walks into the police station with the remainder of their drug equipment (needles, etc.) or drugs and asks for help will not be charged. Instead, Gloucester police will walk them through the system toward detox and recovery," a statement from the police department read.

Both Lahey Clinic in Burlington and Addison Gilbert Hospital in Gloucester are partnering with the police department to assist those who walk into the police department looking for help.

Additionally, Narcan, a nasal spray that is an antidote to those experiencing opiate overdoses, will be available at a local pharmacy, Conley's Drug Store, which has locations in Gloucester and Ipswich, to anyone regardless of if they have health insurance or not.

"The police department will pay the cost of nasal Narcan for those without insurance," Gloucester Police Chief Leonard Campanello said. "We will pay for it with money seized from drug dealers during investigations."

The police department is also working with local CVS pharmacy locations on a similar deal.

Chief Campanello is traveling to Washington, D.C. to meet with Massachusetts Senators Elizabeth Warren and Ed Markey as well as Congressman Seth Moulton to discuss the federal aid and support for local efforts combating the heroin epidemic.

Police say, "We have to take the stigma away from alcoholism and drug addiction... Because the people aren't bad people, they're addicted people."
    The announcement had been shared more than 13,000 times on the police department's Facebook page.

http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/289...-heroin-policy

Gloucester Police Department
    Leonard Campanello, Chief of Police
    197 Main St.
    Gloucester , MA 01930

---
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    Tuesday, May 5, 2015

GLOUCESTER -- In a historic shift in police drug policy, Police Chief Leonard Campanello announced at a citywide forum that the Gloucester Police Department is implementing major changes to the way it handles the opioid and drug epidemic that has swept through every community in the nation.

"We are poised to make revolutionary changes in the way we treat this disease," Chief Campanello told residents.

The Gloucester Police Department will implement the following measures, beginning in June:

1. Any addict who walks into the police station with the remainder of their drug equipment (needles, etc.) or drugs and asks for help will NOT be charged. Instead, Gloucester Police will walk them through the system toward detox and recovery.

"We will assign them an 'angel' who will be their guide through the process. Not in hours or days, but on the spot," Chief Campanello said.

Addison Gilbert Hospital in Gloucester and Lahey Clinic have committed to helping fast track people that walk into the police department so that they can be assessed rapidly and the proper care can be administered quickly.

2. Nasal Narcan has just been made available at local pharmacies without a prescription. The police department has entered into an agreement with Conley's Drug Store and is working on one with CVS that will allow anyone access to the drug at little to no cost regardless of their insurance.

"The police department will pay the cost of nasal narcan for those without insurance," Chief Campanello said. "We will pay for it with money seized from drug dealers during investigations. We will save lives with the money from the pockets of those who would take them. We recognize that nasal narcan is not the answer, but it is saving lives and no one in this City will be denied a life saving drug for this disease just because of a lack of insurance. Conley's has also agreed to assist with insurance requests from those who do not have any."

3. Chief Campanello will travel to Washington,D.C. with the support of Mayor Sefatia Romeo Theken, the City Council, Senator Bruce Tarr, and Representative Ann-Margaret Ferrante, on May 12 and 13.

There, he will meet with Senators Elizabeth Warren and Ed Markey and Congressman Seth Moulton.

"I will bring what Gloucester is accomplishing and challenge them to change at the federal level how we receive aid, support and assistance," Chief Campanello said. "I will bring the idea of how far Gloucester is willing to go to fight this disease and will ask them to hold federal agencies, insurance companies and businesses accountable for building a support system that can eradicate opiate addiction and provide long term, sustainable support to reduce recidivism."

Chief Campanello plans to lobby the Federal Government to increase the share of monies seized from drug dealers that is given to local communities, earmarking it for recovery and prevention services.

--

On Saturday, May 2, the City held a forum regarding the opiate crisis, and on how Gloucester has many resources for help. Afterward, Chief Campanello posted his plans on the department's Facebook page. Since Saturday, the post has attracted nearly 800,000 unique views.

His remarks also included the following:

"I am asking for your help," Chief Campanello wrote. "Like this post, send it to everyone you can think of and ask them to do the same. Speak your comments. Create strength in numbers. I will bring it with me to show how many voters are concerned about this issue. Lives are literally at stake. I have been on both sides of this issue, having spent seven years as a plainclothes narcotics detective. I have arrested or charged many addicts and dealers.

"I've never arrested a tobacco addict, nor have I ever seen one turned down for help when they develop lung cancer, whether or not they have insurance. The reasons for the difference in care between a tobacco addict and an opiate addict is stigma and money. Petty reasons to lose a life.

"Please help us make permanent change here in Gloucester."
    "The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

2. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 12:23 AM
    Liked 7,837 Times in 4,573 Posts

Premium Member

Ok...cool. I like it but...

Why just if they "walk into the police station"?

How about, if they're detained on the street and have heroin on them? Arrest or offer help? We need to stop arresting people, simply for having drugs on them imo.

Nobody wants to be a drug addict...at least I don't think so. Paraphernalia and having a small amount, isn't worth the paperwork or the time imo.

4. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:00 AM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Ok...cool. I like it but...

Why just if they "walk into the police station"?

How about, if they're detained on the street and have heroin on them? Arrest or offer help? We need to stop arresting people, simply for having drugs on them imo.

Nobody wants to be a drug addict...at least I don't think so. Paraphernalia and having a small amount, isn't worth the paperwork or the time imo.
    It's not perfect, but it's a giant step in the right direction.
    "The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

6. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:23 AM
    Liked 1,625 Times in 871 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

The co. I worked for in the late 80's early 90's had a similar policy where if someone approached their management admitting a problem (alcohol or other drug) they got help on the company dime. They had to fess up prior to being notified of a random drug test though.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:17 AM
    Liked 16,501 Times in 9,350 Posts

"It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

I believe all the police vehicles in my area carry Narcan.

I have a child that has struggled with this drug. Definitely a step in the right direction, imo.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

10. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,302 Times in 3,170 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

My best friend was on the stuff for years. I almost watched him die. Not a pretty sight. That shit is no joke.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Van Halen View Post
    The co. I worked for in the late 80's early 90's had a similar policy where if someone approached their management admitting a problem (alcohol or other drug) they got help on the company dime. They had to fess up prior to being notified of a random drug test though.
    I believe that still exist. Called EAP- Employee Assistance Program- in every job I've ever had. A lot of the place's I worked, It kept people's jobs after getting popped in a UA. Said they had a problem and wanted help. Some did abuse the program that way as well.

RJD \m/

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Good for the Gloucester Police Department! Help those that want the help, and keep the doors open for the rest of the addicts should they come around. "We have to take the stigma away from alcoholism and drug addiction... Because the people aren't bad people, they're addicted people."

I just finished reading a book on the Silk Road marketplace (2011-2013) and there was a doctor from Spain that was a drug therapy expert, and he would get on the site and offer advice to those who ask him about it. He was there to do "damage reduction" instead of preaching drug abstinence. He was the only person on that whole site who had a 100% positive reputation and he actually helped several addicts to quit drugs. It was very interesting.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Marc View Post
    Good for the Gloucester Police Department! Help those that want the help, and keep the doors open for the rest of the addicts should they come around. "We have to take the stigma away from alcoholism and drug addiction... Because the people aren't bad people, they're addicted people."

I just finished reading a book on the Silk Road marketplace (2011-2013) and there was a doctor from Spain that was a drug therapy expert, and he would get on the site and offer advice to those who ask him about it. He was there to do "damage reduction" instead of preaching drug abstinence. He was the only person on that whole site who had a 100% positive reputation and he actually helped several addicts to quit drugs. It was very interesting.
    Just googled it. Wow.

What's the name of the book?

RJD \m/

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hagarfn View Post
    Just googled it. Wow.

What's the name of the book?
    Silk Road by Eileen Ormsby. It was really good. However, it didn't show the law enforcement side of the story, which I think is interesting, too. Bought it on iTunes/Book Store for $10 and I think it was worth it.

Wired magazine has an excellent (so far) two-part article on Silk Road. The first installment is out already and next month is the second half. Excellent article.

http://www.amazon.com/Silk-Road-Eile.../dp/1742614094

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:23 AM
    Liked 1,625 Times in 871 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by hagarfn View Post
    I believe that still exist. Called EAP- Employee Assistance Program- in every job I've ever had. A lot of the place's I worked, It kept people's jobs after getting popped in a UA. Said they had a problem and wanted help. Some did abuse the program that way as well.
    Yep we actually launched it while I was there. Prior to that it was a strict suspension then probation. Being under the influence at a nuclear facility carried a little more weight than the pizza guy getting baked though. The choice between Chernobyl and accidental anchovies isn't difficult to make for me.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

simple rhyme
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:45 AM
    Liked 1,204 Times in 532 Posts

Bravo for your hometown...
    June 17th I will be clean for 6 years. Opiates and dope are no fun...

GET READY....
    WHAT IS UNDERSTOOD NEED NOT BE DISCUSSED

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 12:23 AM
    Liked 7,837 Times in 4,573 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikehunt5150 View Post
    Bravo for your hometown...
    June 17th I will be clean for 6 years. Opiates and dope are no fun...

GET READY....
    Well done, bro.

19. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

simple rhyme
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:45 AM
    Liked 1,204 Times in 532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Well done, bro.
    It all started with 4 back surgeries....
    By the end I was sniffing 20 - 80mg oxycontins a day. Not fun at all...

GET READY....
    WHAT IS UNDERSTOOD NEED NOT BE DISCUSSED