Favorite VH Album

fuck
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

10.08.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts

Default EBMM Axis vs. Wolf Special

So my EBMM Axis needs some work (a couple new frets, a set up, some electronic issues). Its pretty beat to hell.

I thought I would buy a japanese wolf special tobacco burst, chrome hardware for $750 (same amount I payed for my Axis brand new). If I liked it, I would keep it and sell the trusty purple EBMM.

I couldn't have been more disappointed in it. There was nothing 'wrong' with it per se...it was set up perfectly and was absolutely beautiful to look at, but the sound was AWFUL. What happened to Ed's ears? The pickups in these things are just super bright and tinny....even the tone knob couldn't make it sound good. Basically a pure death metal guitar. The Axis is just SO MUCH warmer and brown sounding. The neck shape and feel was okay, but also NOWHERE NEAR my EBMM. You would think he would want his guitars to get better and better instead of going back words. I have never been a fan of the fender evh's that I've played in stores, but this was my first back to back comparison and, wow.

Are the US models THAT MUCH better sounding and playing than these, because I turned around and sold it 2 weeks after buying it.

Going to build a tobacco burst 5150 clone instead as a backup guitar. Keeping the EBMM for sure.
    Lets just throw a pound of weed in the fire place, f@#% it!

Proud owner: Purple Flame Ernie Ball Music Man Axis and a 5150 Combo Amp.

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:04 AM
    Liked 6,971 Times in 5,007 Posts

Premium Member

You bought an AXIS for $750.00 - brand new ???
    Where do you shop ? I'm going to head over there asap
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

fuck
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

10.08.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    You bought an AXIS for $750.00 - brand new ???
    Where do you shop ? I'm going to head over there asap

Years ago at guitar center..right when they came out 1996? It had 2 good chips out of it. (scratch and dent).
    Lets just throw a pound of weed in the fire place, f@#% it!

Proud owner: Purple Flame Ernie Ball Music Man Axis and a 5150 Combo Amp.

Eruption
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:33 PM
    Liked 266 Times in 142 Posts

Premium Member

I swapped my EVH Wolf Spec's pups out for Wolfetone Marshallheads. Problem solved. I'm the first guy with a Wolfgang he made them for, so he wants to make more now to make that template worthwhile. I highly recommend them. I love my highly customized Wolf Spec., but nothing touches EBMM's fit, finish and quality control.

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by F'nRockstar View Post
    So my EBMM Axis needs some work (a couple new frets, a set up, some electronic issues). Its pretty beat to hell.

I thought I would buy a japanese wolf special tobacco burst, chrome hardware for $750 (same amount I payed for my Axis brand new). If I liked it, I would keep it and sell the trusty purple EBMM.

I couldn't have been more disappointed in it. There was nothing 'wrong' with it per se...it was set up perfectly and was absolutely beautiful to look at, but the sound was AWFUL. What happened to Ed's ears? The pickups in these things are just super bright and tinny....even the tone knob couldn't make it sound good. Basically a pure death metal guitar. The Axis is just SO MUCH warmer and brown sounding. The neck shape and feel was okay, but also NOWHERE NEAR my EBMM. You would think he would want his guitars to get better and better instead of going back words. I have never been a fan of the fender evh's that I've played in stores, but this was my first back to back comparison and, wow.

Are the US models THAT MUCH better sounding and playing than these, because I turned around and sold it 2 weeks after buying it.

Going to build a tobacco burst 5150 clone instead as a backup guitar. Keeping the EBMM for sure.
    Your first problem is your comparing anything Ed makes to the EBMM. EBMM EVH/Axis were and are the best Ed signature axes. Plenty will argue the Peavey versions are better then the current EVH line. I think it's more a matter of personal taste obviously. I'll stop before I go on a rant.

Pickups. Shouldn't the Special have the same Wolfgang pickup as the USA Wolfgangs? Comparing my EBMM Axis, which I bought around the same time as you, to my USA Wolfgang Stealth they are very similar. in fact I think they copied the EBMM pickup for the new EVH Wolfgang pickup and lowered the output slightly to avoid being sued.

We all know the differences between two guitars built side by side and all that. Maybe your just sounds different? It is a Wolfgang pickup in the bridge position right?

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,107 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by F'nRockstar View Post

Dude, my USA Vintage White 2009 EVH Wolf sounds so much warmer than my 2012 USA Grey Stealth EVH Wolf. I can't put my finger on what is really going on either. Seems to me, I have a knob or pickup shorting out but I haven't tore into it. There is a much noticeable pickup hum and brighter tone overall when compared the VW Wolf. After all the problems I had with it, I rarely play it and that sucks for a guitar I paid $2400 for new in the box and shipped directly to me.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”