Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:24 AM
    Liked 10,869 Times in 5,721 Posts

Premium Member

Default Van Hagar Fans

It seems that every couple of days some sort of Sam related era thread pops up even though it is a pretty safe bet that the Sam era is gone never to return.

So it got me thinking. Why is it that some of you prefer the Van Hagar music over the classic DLR led material?

I would hope (I'm not holding my breath) that we could have a serious discussion about this topic without resorting to childish mudslinging and name calling. If that happens, please close mods, we don't need another thread for that.

I am genuinely curious as to why some people prefer the Sam era. I guess the main reason why is because I'm 39 years old. So I was 9 when Dave left. My first real exposure to Van Halen was when I bough FUCK when I was 15. Then I bought 5150 and OU812 and I think VH 1 in that order.

So that's the background I'm coming from. You might say that I started a "Van Hagar" fan and then was turned on to their earlier stuff through that. After buying and listening to all their material and becoming a guitar player, I just found that I liked the Dave era significantly more than the Sam era even though I started out as a Sam era fan while he was still fronting the band and VH were still one of the biggest acts in rock.

In my opinion, the Dave era material is iconic in the realm of rock. The Sam material while still better than most is just not in the same ballpark from a legendary status as well as a musical one. I'm not alone in this assessment, I would guess that at least where I live the "classic era" outnumbers the "Van Hagar era" as far as radio airplay at least 5 to 1 and maybe more. So much so that I was shocked to hear BOBW on the radio the other day.

I'm not slagging the Sam era as it is common knowledge that I like all of the material the band has put out over the years, even the much maligned III.

I used to think that people liked the Sam era better because that's when they got into Van Halen and it was some sort of nostalgia thing of great memories from their youth or something. But as my own case shows, that doesn't hold true for everyone.

So why do some people prefer the Sam era? I can't understand how a fan of Van Halen could prefer the Sam era over the six pack. I truly don't understand it. I suppose if you are a fan of Sammy Hagar then that might be why. But maybe it is as simple as I don't understand how someone could prefer chocolate over vanilla and there really is no answer to explain people's differing preferences.
    Last edited by Get The Show On The Road; 05.04.15 at 08:18 AM.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

AJW

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:21 AM
    Liked 18,133 Times in 8,957 Posts

I predict that even though you might have had the best of intentions, this will turn into a Sam v DLR bitch fest before we get to page three.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

4. The Following 7 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:09 AM
    Liked 6,971 Times in 5,007 Posts

Premium Member

Page three ?
    DD is turning into a bona fide optimist
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

6. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.20.17 @ 06:04 AM
    Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts

i love both eras of the band i first heard why cant this be love in 1986 thats the song that got me hooked and i worked back to the roth years within six weeks, to this day wctbl is one of my favourite songs and i think it is very under rated lyrically and musically. Sort of a continuation of eddie messin around with keyboards after jump.

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:09 AM
    Liked 6,971 Times in 5,007 Posts

Premium Member

For me , it's just a fond appreciation of the music itself . The singer debate is cold and pointless IMO .
    Van Halen music inspires me . It's fun to listen to . I don't know a single soul who listens to music to get depressed or 'woe is me' .

Music should be fun , y'know? If it makes you feel good then it's a viable form of entertainment . VH music does that for me - whether it's sung by Dave , Sammy , or Gary .
    I like the band . The whole band from the club days to the present and beyond . Period .
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

10. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:34 PM
    Liked 1,885 Times in 1,102 Posts

I have always preferred the Hagar era. I bought 1984 when it came out (cause everyone I knew was buying it) and I loved it, I flipped the cassette over one day and discovered GGB and HOP and my jaw dropped.

I was a little hesitant to listen to 5150 but once I did I loved it. Grew up with Hagar in the band. I've got nothing against Dave or Dave fans except for the fact that a lot of them act like it's a crime not to fall in line with their line of thinking.

I listen to the Sam stuff all the time, the Dave stuff too. It's all good.

12. The Following 6 Members Like This Post:

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:46 AM
    Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts

The era's (apart from arguably 5150) are so different musically and in terms of vibe, it's understandable that it would be hard to fathom someone preferring the sammy era if you were a massive dave only fan of van halen.

Whilst overall I do prefer the original 6 pack, I can totally understand someone preferring the slicker/more pop friendly sound of van hagar. Live also they really hit another level of consistency also. Whilst again the original lineup has a completely different vibe (one massive party!) They are so tight as a band throughout the 90's it's quite inspiring to watch for different reasons.

14. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs maybe
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:25 AM
    Liked 173 Times in 104 Posts

I think both singers are wankers!

:-)

I mean, I love these two clowns, but they both have their strengths & weaknesses. I can completely understand why anyone would dislike either of them. There's plenty to bitch about. At the same time, both guys are brilliant in their own rock & roll ways.

I'm glad I don't take offense to others' opinions, and I'm glad I can appreciate everyone who's been in Van Halen.

I really do think it's a brown eyes/blue eyes type of thing. Some people are hard wired to think liberal, some are born conservatives. Some people can't stand Van Halen at all. Dave and Sammy are so unalike, it's a miracle that any of us like both eras!

Regarding the Sammy fans question though, I think look no further than the blatant personality difference from Dave. No assless chaps, sings in tune and faithful to the recordings, is far less obnoxious overall, more conventional songwriting ... that adds up for some people. Me included, I appreciate Sam's strengths despite favoring DLR.
    Kevin

16. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by RickyW View Post
    The era's (apart from arguably 5150) are so different musically and in terms of vibe, it's understandable that it would be hard to fathom someone preferring the sammy era if you were a massive dave only fan of van halen.

Whilst overall I do prefer the original 6 pack, I can totally understand someone preferring the slicker/more pop friendly sound of van hagar. Live also they really hit another level of consistency also. Whilst again the original lineup has a completely different vibe (one massive party!) They are so tight as a band throughout the 90's it's quite inspiring to watch for different reasons.
    You bring up some good points. I think the reason that I eventually gravitated toward the classic era is that I'm not really a big fan of poppy ballads and there seemed to be more of that during the Sam era.

I know a lot of people gripe about keyboards and that's an issue for some - but to me instrumentation is irrelevant. I don't see "I'll Wait" as a poppy ballad in the vein of WCTBL, to me the groove of "I'll Wait" is totally different and a little more sinister.

Actually, "Humans Being" is probably my favorite Sam era song but to me it sounds more like a classic era piece. It doesn't really matter who the singer is, for me it is the music and the Dave era definitely had a rougher edge.

I will give you live they were much tighter. Like they are now only Dave seems to have lost it to an extent and that is too bad because those songs deserve to be heard live with the same level of musicanship that the band brought during the Sam era, particularly on the Balance tour.

18. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Man View Post
    I think both singers are wankers!

:-)

I mean, I love these two clowns, but they both have their strengths & weaknesses. I can completely understand why anyone would dislike either of them. There's plenty to bitch about. At the same time, both guys are brilliant in their own rock & roll ways.

I'm glad I don't take offense to others' opinions, and I'm glad I can appreciate everyone who's been in Van Halen.

I really do think it's a brown eyes/blue eyes type of thing. Some people are hard wired to think liberal, some are born conservatives. Some people can't stand Van Halen at all. Dave and Sammy are so unalike, it's a miracle that any of us like both eras!

Regarding the Sammy fans question though, I think look no further than the blatant personality difference from Dave. No assless chaps, sings in tune and faithful to the recordings, is far less obnoxious overall, more conventional songwriting ... that adds up for some people. Me included, I appreciate Sam's strengths despite favoring DLR.
    I think that is very true for a lot of people, especially people who pay the most attention to the lead singer. I guess since I'm a guitar player I kind of tune that singer nonsense out because I have to agree that Dave can be kind of a clown sometimes.

Although I have to admit that I thought the assless chaps and some of that stuff was fantastic. I actually love the US Fest because of how raw and out of control it was - bordering on going over the cliff. It certainly wasn't a musically tight performance, but that's okay, the vibe was awesome, especially when I was younger.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I predict that even though you might have had the best of intentions, this will turn into a Sam v DLR bitch fest before we get to page three.

Oh I know, that's why I asked the mods to shut it down if it goes down that path.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 7,619 Times in 3,996 Posts

My introduction to VH was around 8 or 9, when i got WACF followed by VHII.
    I was hooked.

By the time of FW and DD, i was absolutely obsessed with this band.
    WACF had become like my holy bible.

In school, i had magazines confiscated (Guitar World, Circus, Creem),
    because i needed to be reading about VH if i wasn't listening to them.

I felt a shift happening with 1984, but the good tracks on that record still
    made the fur rise, like only great VH could.

I never expected things to go in such a direction.

I predicted it might be lame, with Roth gone & Hagar joining the fold.
    But i never anticipated the kick in the balls that, WCTBL was.
    Then radio started playing, Love Walks in.

Then MTV started playing VH Unleashed, where it was apparent to me, that VH
    was trying it's best to be Foreigner or Journey.
    They seemed to have no respect for the Dave era, and Sam was joining them in
    taking shots at the music/band i loved.

By the time of OU812, i really thought they sucked.

Lyrically, Cabo Wabo & Feels so good, were just horrible & cheesy.
    Musically, Ed seemed to be asleep at the wheel, save for a couple decent guitar solo's.

At that point, i decided to check out of the VH hotel.

Was gone for a long time, but my interest was reignited by finding "The Inside" magazine,
    at Tower records in Boston.

All the classic era coverage & photos, sort of sparked something within me.
    I became that 13 year old kid again, walking around with a cassette of WACF.

22. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

A little late to this, and I don't want my post construed as a Sam VS. Dave deal at all...just proposing my view as it relates to the OP's original question as to why some people prefer the Hagar era. Hmmm...Well, I personally love aspects of both eras.
    I think some of the people who like Sam enjoy his more versatile range in both voice and music styles. He drew in a whole other dynamic into the fan base.
    Dave is awesome...to many THE only VH singer, but he's got that certain character quality that can be polarizing to some.

I think this is why there are so many dyed in the wool Roth fans who reject the Sam years with such intent.
    Roth and his personality are very intense, and aside from casual fans who dug "Jump" at the time....he either draws people in or repels them.
    I've known folks over the Roth era who were casual fans who loved the hits on the radio, but once they dug deeper into the VH catalog really didn't like him that much overall. They thought he was "too full of himself", "over the top".

Admittedly, for myself, it took me a while to warm up to Sam in VH. I didn't have anything against him...It was just different, and didn't feel permanent in my mind.
    Don't get me wrong..I loved 5150, but it took till after OU812 before it truly felt like it had the permanence. Weird right?
    The one thing I loved about Sammy was that he brought cohesiveness and fairness as a band again. It truly was four equal parts in the way they presented the music.
    It wasn't the Roth Show.

In retrospect, as it's been mentioned recently in other threads too...I think having Sam in the band was actually a benefit at the time given the eighties was winding down and some serious shifts in music were on the horizon.
    He wasn't this over the top showman to dressed in assless chaps, and a horsetail.

Honestly...As much as I've been a Dave fan in VH and solo, there is little chance in my mind that VH would have remained as active with Dave up through the early nineties as they were with Sammy. Say what you will about him for writing sappy ballads, or more pop oriented, whatever...but it kept them relevant with the changing commercial demographic. Did they sell out? To a point....but hey...It's business.

Let's face it...by 1988, there was so much glam rock, and countless cookie cutter crap bands that were trying to cash in what Dave basically did for a decade by that point.
    To quote Eddie's take on the situation at the time, "it was like incest...eventually you end up with a bunch of fucked up kids that look and sound exactly the same!"

The thing is people were getting bored of it all. It wasn't shocking, or entertaining...it was for the most part by the book, and over processed pre packaged drivel.
    It was all going to crash down eventually.
    So weather Dave was the original or not, it wouldn't have mattered if he stayed....to the average Joe buying albums, that stuff was done!

A lot of people blame Sam for the change in Ed's writing, and sound etc., but he was going in that direction before Dave exited..Many of the songs on 5150 were essentially written before Sammy stepped in.

So after all has been said and done....Grunge came and went, (so did Sam!) along with all the other stripped down alternative music, and illegal downloading also changed the landscape.. then something amazing happened.....Guitar Hero, and Rock Band came out, and people/kids started rediscovering some of the landmark music included on those platforms....eventually leading to a VH edition as well.
    So after several failed attempts of Dave coming back in, it finally happened. People were able to see Dave for what he was in VH....a true showman with a unique clever personality fronting one of the best bands on the planet!

What about Sam? likewise, I think his time came and went. Just as Dave's contributions were dated after his departure, Sam also has had his best before date.
    Not knocking him at all, but in VH, I couldn't see it going beyond Balance IMHO.
    I thought it was a good place to end it.

24. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

10.11.16 @ 08:12 AM
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

I like both versions, I don't get why people waste their time hating on either one...Its pretty simple, if you don't like it don't listen to it.I don't go to a Taylor Swift site to say I hate her music seems like a waste of time to me. I get some people love just the Dave era or some people love just the Sammy era,but to say one era totally sucks is really a discredit to the band.I would love to see them get back with Mikey do 1/2 a show with Hagar and 1/2 a show with Roth end it with all of them singing Happy trails as they ride off into the sunset but I have a better chance of seeing pigs fly than that ever happening.

26. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

03.27.16 @ 07:29 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    Oh I know, that's why I asked the mods to shut it down if it goes down that path.
    This is a legit question/subject that should not be shut down. Lets hope it doesn't go there.
    This is my signature saying someone (you choose) made Van Halen better so I can say "Deal with it".