Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Balance/Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

any that Mike played and sang
    Last Online

05.26.16 @ 06:55 PM
    Liked 182 Times in 99 Posts

So, what happens when/if Ed wakes up one morning......

And discovers he misses playing songs like 5150, Finish what you started, Right Now, Dont tell me.....etc?
    I realize for some of you , this is a nightmare scenario, not to be talked about....but it could happen.He has already commented that those are some great songs.... What then? What if Ed decides he wants to pay songs from all eras of VH? Given Ed and Sam's current relationship....Sam coming back in any capacity is doubtful....
    Third singer? Wolf steps in to sing the Sammy stuff? Does Dave revolt and bolt? Would be interesting to be sure
    AKA Kevohman and KevohmanII

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

09.23.15 @ 10:45 AM
    Liked 11 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    And discovers he misses playing songs like 5150, Finish what you started, Right Now, Dont tell me.....etc?
    I realize for some of you , this is a nightmare scenario, not to be talked about....but it could happen.He has already commented that those are some great songs.... What then? What if Ed decides he wants to pay songs from all eras of VH? Given Ed and Sam's current relationship....Sam coming back in any capacity is doubtful....
    Third singer? Wolf steps in to sing the Sammy stuff? Does Dave revolt and bolt? Would be interesting to be sure
    I don't think it will likely happen soon. DLR has made it clear that he will never sing a Hagar era song, and I can't see Sammy coming back into the fold anytime soon - at least not without MA. It is a shame though, as I think a tour covering all the eras would be a great gift to the fans.

4. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 2,028 Times in 1,265 Posts

C'mon, man....seriously! David Lee Roth is in the band now. Why in hell would Ed want to do Sam songs? "Yeah, excited to have ya back, Dave.....let's jam some Poundcake....whatdya say?" "I would love to Ed I love Sammy songs". Not happening!

Yes, Ed loves all his music (even the III stuff) but it's all about DLR now. He's not back to sing Sam tunes or Gary tunes, he's back to sing DRL songs.

You now this Kev....c'mon now.

Ed can jam anything he wants anytime he wants, in his studio. Seems to me, these days, Ed is digging some Drop Dead Legs, some Dirty Movies.....let's not ruin that with some WCTBL fantasy.

And by the way, if Sam did return, it would be just that. You know they're not playing 5150, or Sucker, or Dream is Over, or most of the great rockers they had. It would be just like the Sam shows of the past....filled with the usual suspects.

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:24 AM
    Liked 1,481 Times in 903 Posts

I don't think anything would happen.
    Wolf could sing a Hagar song but not sure what kind of reaction he'd get.
    Not sure Roth would go for it anyway.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 4,805 Times in 2,453 Posts

Premium Member

If Wolfgang could help pick the set list then I would be cool with it.

If they are getting a 4th singer, let them do Dave and Sam songs. Just deep cuts.

THat said if Sam came back, set list would far more stale than what we have been seeing on the last two VH4 tours. It would be the 2004 songs minus Up for Breakfast nd Its About Time. Sorry would rather hear a 4th singer do deep cuts of that era than Sam singing Why Can't This Be Love.

Now if they did Summer Nights, 5150, Good Enough, AFU, Cabo, Dream is Over, Aftershock, etc then I would be all in. However the proof is in the pudding that Sam plays it far closer to the vest than what the brothers prefer.

Last Online

05.08.15 @ 01:28 AM
    Liked 620 Times in 379 Posts

What happens if Ed misses playing Van Hagar tunes before a large audience? Does he reform Van Hagar?

Reforming Van Hagar would be a huge undertaking. Your question is about motivation. Would EVH's emotional reaction of missing past songs motivate a huge undertaking?

What motivates Ed?

Ed is motivated to make money.

Ed is motivated to play in front of large crowds. He hated opening for Bon Jovie and the receiving a less than enthusiastic crowd reaction from a European audience filled with Bon Jovie fans.

Ed is not motivated to make major changes. He has been largely inactive. He is too afraid to release new music. He is playing his third oldies tour setlist in a row this year.

Ed disbanded Van Hagar when album sales waned (Balance sold less than previous Van Hagar releases) and disbanded Van Cherone when album and tour sales waned. He could have continued either band, releasing a fifth Van Hagar and a second Van Cherone album, if he so desired. If he was so overwhelming motivated.

Has Ed, in the past, ever missed playing certain songs so much that he became motivated to make major changes?

No. He didn't play almost all of his CVH compositions during the Van Hagar years.

Certainly, he missed playing CVH songs so much that he played them all off-stage and at 5150 rehearsal spaces. Right?

No! He didn't even miss them enough to play them off-stage. Rather, he had to re-learn all the old songs. This fact has always seemed striking and significant. EVH did not know how to play all of his old famous and multi-million-dollar selling tunes.

So, it would appear that Ed has many other and stronger motivations.

EVH cannot even play Van Hagar songs. He has forgot how to.
    Last edited by ExpandedConsciousness; 05.03.15 at 05:56 AM.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:32 PM
    Liked 6,971 Times in 5,007 Posts

Premium Member

I'm actually hoping that Ed does wake up one morning and decide to do that ! Ha .
    He's been playing like a maniac with Dave and doing all the early hits , plus practicing some cool deep cuts . There is a whole other side to his career that deserves the same respect for it's fans .

Not to mention that his playing is 1000x better than the '04 jaunt . That tour doesn't count as far as a 'reunion' with Sam , IMO .
    There's a lot of good music that hasn't been heard in top form for quite a while .

Dave came back without Mike , so I'm pretty sure Sam could too . I honestly think that Mike would be a bit hurt at first , but would ultimately give his blessing .

Share the wealth , Eddie !!!
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

11. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

I think it's more like "what if Wolf wakes up one morning and wants to play songs like 5150, Don't Tell Me...?"
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

13. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 11,769 Times in 6,520 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ExpandedConsciousness View Post
    What happens if Ed misses playing Van Hagar tunes before a large audience? Does he reform Van Hagar?

Reforming Van Hagar would be a huge undertaking. Your question is about motivation. Would EVH's emotional reaction of missing past songs motivate a huge undertaking?

What motivates Ed?

Ed is motivated to play in front of large crowds. He hated opening for Bon Jovie and the receiving a less than enthusiastic crowd reaction from a European audience filled with Bon Jovie fans.

Ed is not motivated to make major changes. He has been largely inactive. He is too afraid to release new music. He is playing his third oldies tour setlist in a row this year.

Ed disbanded Van Hagar when album sales waned (Balance sold less than previous Van Hagar releases) and disbanded Van Cherone when album and tour sales waned. He could have continued either band, releasing a fifth Van Hagar and a second Van Cherone album, if he so desired. If he was so overwhelming motivated.

Has Ed, in the past, ever missed playing certain songs so much that he became motivated to make major changes?

No. He didn't play almost all of his CVH compositions during the Van Hagar years.

Certainly, he missed playing CVH songs so much that he played them all off-stage and at 5150 rehearsal spaces. Right?

No! He didn't even miss them enough to play them off-stage. Rather, he had to re-learn all the old songs. This fact has always seemed striking and significant. EVH did not know how to play all of his old famous and multi-million-dollar selling tunes.

EC, Ed did miss playing the classic stuff. That was one of the issues he was having towards the end of Sam's tenure. If you remember, Sam said they were taunting him during sound checks towards the end of the Balance tour. They were not in a good place and it was obvious Sam was out the door.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

15. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1 & 1984 & ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

In a simple rhyme
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:08 AM
    Liked 266 Times in 120 Posts

What happens when I wake up in the morning wishing to get back together with my HS sweetheart after I've been married for 18 years?

The HS sweetheart is also 18 years older.

Let's see... divorce ... lose the house, lose the car, lose the savings.

Suddenly I'm not so attractive to my old sweetheart.

It's never going to happen unless something catastrophic happens with Dave or between Ed and Dave.

These guys have worked too hard on their legacy to go back.

You guys have got to see that this is the last decade of this band.
    I do think there will be a reconciliation between them when one of them is on their deathbed.

Sorry for the downer post.

Let's be thankful for what we've got ... and that Wolf is uploading some killer moment by moment memories.

Cheers,
    mrC
    *Follow my ubiquitous audio/video/composing/production mishaps, with & without The OBViOUS ... often resulting in hilarious musical consequnces:

http://www.facebook.com/mrChristopherTV
    http://www.facebook.com/theobviouscom

٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶

17. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:52 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

No Mike, no Sammy....
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,335 Times in 3,183 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ExpandedConsciousness View Post

What motivates Ed?

bullshit. Ed wants to play with his kid. Money is just a by product. And yeah, I'd have to learn certain songs too if I hadn't played them since 1984.

Dunce.

20. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

fuck
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

10.08.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts

EVERYONE knows what is going to happen. After this tour has underwhelming sales...expect (maybe one more album with Roth, and a SMALL tour to support it in 2017). then a Best of Both Worlds farewell tour in 2019....then just smaller projects with whomever Ed feels like working with at the time, but the large ship that is big rock Van Halen has almost sailed....
    Lets just throw a pound of weed in the fire place, f@#% it!

Proud owner: Purple Flame Ernie Ball Music Man Axis and a 5150 Combo Amp.

Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

07.25.17 @ 10:53 PM
    Liked 314 Times in 157 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    I'm actually hoping that Ed does wake up one morning and decide to do that ! Ha .
    He's been playing like a maniac with Dave and doing all the early hits , plus practicing some cool deep cuts . There is a whole other side to his career that deserves the same respect for it's fans .

Not to mention that his playing is 1000x better than the '04 jaunt . That tour doesn't count as far as a 'reunion' with Sam , IMO .
    There's a lot of good music that hasn't been heard in top form for quite a while .

Dave came back without Mike , so I'm pretty sure Sam could too . I honestly think that Mike would be a bit hurt at first , but would ultimately give his blessing .

Share the wealth , Eddie !!!

23. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

Looking more and more like this is the last line up for this band. Edward simply loves playing with his son. Can't be mad at him for that, just a bit sad for me ( and other's ) that after all the years of Dave being out, they couldn't make it happen with Mike.

Also, I would lose so much respect for Sam if he even entertained the idea of going back without Mike. That would be the bitch move of all bitch moves, and I would seriously question if I would want to be a fan anymore.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw