Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I & Balance
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One & Feelin'
    Last Online

11.10.17 @ 05:45 AM
    Liked 267 Times in 150 Posts

Default What kind of strings do you use, why? And a WARNING on Cobalts

I created this thread for two reasons: to see what everyone uses and likes, and as a warning for Ernie Ball Cobalts. I've recently returned to what I've always used, and thought I'd share my experience since there's many Wolfgang owners here. I've always used 9-42 gauge, so everything mentioned below is that gauge.

For as long as I can remember, I always used Ernie Ball Super Slinkys. About 4 years ago I started using EVH strings. Why? Because they were EVH strings. I can't give any other reason for using those. They sounded and played fine, but always seemed quite tight--especially after re-stringing, they were very tight. I never had any trouble with them, but recently tried to justify their cost.

So I thought I'd try Ernie Ball Cobalt Slinkys due to the rave reviews. At the same time, I also bought a pack of the regular Slinkys I've always used just to compare to the EVHs. After years of the EVH's, I threw on a set of Cobalts. They DID sound just a bit brighter, and I actually liked how they sounded, but they felt odd. The weirdest thing with those, though, was when I stretched them, the bass strings stayed in almost perfect tune. Literally EVERY new string I ever stretched would drop significantly in pitch when I'd stretch them. Curiously, the Cobalt bass strings did not drop in pitch at all. G, B, and E dropped pitch as expected when stretched.

Have a Dtuna? Please read this: Then came the Dtuna (US Wolfgang Stealth) with the Cobalts. With the strings adequately stretched and locked, pulling out the DTuna would drop the pitch from E, to just a bit flatter. To put this into perspective, E still registered on my Polytune, and not even Eb less D! I've NEVER had a problem with the Dtuna on this guitar--EVER! It has simply just always worked. To compensate, I had to crank in the fine tuning set screw on the Dtuna in the D position causing it to have a VERY sharp downward angle towards the body of the guitar in the E position, and it was still far from perfect. It was also quite difficult to pull in/out. Let me repeat that this is using the SAME string gauge I've always used, and I had never had trouble with the Dtuna before on that guitar. In my frustration, I took off the Cobalt string and replaced it with just the low E from a pack of regular Slinkys. Problem solved. After undoing what I did to try and fix the problem with the Cobalts, my Dtuna worked perfect as it always has.

The next day I replaced the other five strings on the Stealth with regular Slinkys. Since then I've also put them on my 99 Wolf. I honestly can't tell the difference between the Ernie Balls, and the EVH's. I therefore can't justify the additional cost of the EVH strings. The Slinkys are actually much looser than the EVHs too--even for new/fresh strings. The Slinkys are much cheaper, and I think they play and sound great!

Cobalts do sound a bit better, but I hope someone will read this post and save them self some frustration. Cobalts don't play nice with DTunas--at least in my experience. I've setup and used several Dtuna-equipped guitars, and for the life of me can't explain the problem I had with the Cobalts.
    Last edited by Stealth5150; 04.29.15 at 10:06 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:39 PM
    Liked 11,563 Times in 4,929 Posts

I have D-Tunas on 7 guitars and I only use Ernie Ball Super Slinkys (9-42) on all of them. Only strings I've used for nearly 20 years. I use 10's on my SG because it's shorter scale and the 9's are too loose for my taste, so 10's work much better. But other than that 9's on everything.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I & Balance
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One & Feelin'
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I have D-Tunas on 7 guitars and I only use Ernie Ball Super Slinkys (9-42) on all of them. Only strings I've used for nearly 20 years. I use 10's on my SG because it's shorter scale and the 9's are too loose for my taste, so 10's work much better. But other than that 9's on everything.
    Nice! I plan to continue to use just regular Slinkys; not the EVHs, not the Cobalts. I really like them so far and I'm guessing there was a reason I had used them from 1990 until 2011ish.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:39 PM
    Liked 11,563 Times in 4,929 Posts

I never break them either. I can go forever without breaking strings. I can't even think of the last time I broke a string.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I & Balance
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One & Feelin'
    Last Online

I never break them either. I can go forever without breaking strings. I can't even think of the last time I broke a string.
    That interesting to hear actually because I've never broke one either on any guitar with a dive-only trem. I used to have an Ibanez and a Washburn N2 and both of those would break the high E quite often.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:10 PM
    Liked 1,606 Times in 743 Posts

Premium Member

I tried the new Colbalts strings because of all the reviews on my last Frank that I finished last year and for the life of me, I did hear or feel anything different with them or the Slinkys that I use. They cost almost double the price of Slinkys here too. I wont be using them again.
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:13 PM
    Liked 1,039 Times in 523 Posts

I've started using D'addario NYXLs , 9-46 on standard tuning and 10-52 on Eb. They're great, barely stretch, don't feel like coated strings but stay fresh for ages.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

01.07.16 @ 05:41 PM
    Liked 66 Times in 29 Posts

I've been using cobalts since they came out on all my Wolfgangs and EVH's and never had a problem.

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:17 PM
    Liked 2,858 Times in 1,069 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

EB Slinkies for me. 10s in Eb are the perfect tension for me, so I've got 10s on all my guitars and have never had any problems.

I tried Cobalts once and had tuning stability issues with a Floyd. Switched back to my regular slinkies and it was resolved. I tried the EVH strings once they came out with a 10 gauge and didn't prefer them to the EB.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cant pick 1!
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 96 Times in 77 Posts

Rotosound Pinks for me. Decent price, stay in tune and sound good.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars, Dreams
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:18 AM
    Liked 168 Times in 75 Posts

I also use the Super Slinkys on all my electrics. They are a great string at a great price.

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 11:54 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 15 Posts

I used to use Super Slinkys but I've switched to Fender 150XL. I like the feel of them a bit better and they don't seem as bright, which I like.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 2,229 Times in 1,124 Posts

Premium Member

It's funny you say that because when I did my BW Frank project with my old Fender Squier, I picked up some EB SS 9's for the first time and put those on the guitar. I've been using at least 10's my whole life, so needless to say I was blown away by how easy it is to play 9's.

That was more than a year ago and I've never broken a string on that guitar. I used to break strings all the time on it, too.

For VH stuff, the strings sound great to me coupled with a Seymour Duncan Custom SH-11 pickup. I don't have a reason to buy anything else now.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

All
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 57 Times in 28 Posts

I use Ernie Ball Classic Super Slinky pure nickel wrap 9-42 as my strings of choice but will also use Super Slinky 9-42 if I can't find the Classic Super Slinky. Both have been great strings for me on all my guitars. On occasion I'll get some custom guage strings, 9 11 15 24 32 40 like the old 5150's for my EVH Music Man.

Ben

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I & Balance
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One & Feelin'
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by lessthanone View Post
    I've been using cobalts since they came out on all my Wolfgangs and EVH's and never had a problem.
    Good for you man! But now I have to wonder if I did something wrong? I can't imagine what I would or wouldn't have done though! That low E hardly dropped in pitch at all on my Stealth when I'd pull out the Dtuna. Anyway, glad you like them and they work for you!