Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:41 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

Default celebrity embryo bullshit

so the world of technology has obviously not kept up with the laws, or ethics or common sense

we have 2 cases...Case 1 is Sherri Shepard, former host of The View, who conceived a child with a surrogate by IVF ( and no doubt using an egg donor)

her marriage broke up before the water broke and she used the opportunity to say that she was "tricked into" conceiving this baby with her husband and that he just wanted marital and child support from her, so she denied her obligations to the child

the court decided otherwise...'Sherri...you ARE the mother"

http://time.com/3830835/sherri-sheph...sband-divorce/

then case 2 of Sophia Vergara and her well to do ex boyfriend with whom she banked a couple of embryos.

He has filed suit saying he is a right to lifer and she wants to destroy the embryos now that she has moved on (she denies is and says she is fine with storing the embryos forever) But now it seems as tho he wants a new reading on the contract that says both parties have to agree to use the embryos ...seems like he wants to hire a surrogate and says he will sign off on any responsibility financial or otherwise for her, and Vergara is NOT down with that.
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/17/entert...bryos-lawsuit/
    http://www.people.com/article/sofia-...mbryos-lawsuit

I tell you, these are some crazy rich people problems, but I can see not wanting to have a kid with your ex...it just seems these cases are interesting aspects of the same issue.....who the heck does an embryo belong to anyway?

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:54 PM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

I don't have anything much to contribute to this topic, except for two things:

Rich celebrities are assholes, and the title of this thread made me laugh

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:18 PM
    Liked 6,849 Times in 3,587 Posts

Premium Member

So did this Sherri chick do all this while she was still on The View? Receiving maximum exposure for her plight at the time?

Fuck her! Give the kid to Elton John to raise.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

For all the good IVF can do for a couple, it really is a pandora's box of issues in regards to the beginning of life and who "owns" the embryo. Since it's not in anyone's womb, we don't get the same shallow-thinking "get your hands off my body" principles like you do with abortion.

Freezing them forever? How is that a solution? That's basically saying "I'm not going to be the person to flush these things down the toilet, but eventually down the line someone will make that decision. It just won't be me."

It opens all sorts of ethically dirty questions that are generally uncomfortable to confront.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:41 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

yeah, it's kind of a weird scenario....couple of years ago a woman gave birth to a baby conceived using a 19 year old donated embryo!

but you're right, at some point someone is going to have to make a decision about the fate of these embryos....it's a cop out and decades from now when these people who have banked these embryos start passing away, will they be an issue in settling the estate? does the executor have to make the decision? or provide for the embryos?

and what about the women who are having children using embryos banked with a now deceased husband? or a husband who wants a surrogate for an embryo conceived with a since deceased wife?

we don't have a consensus regarding basic right to life issues and now we have all these high tech issues to deal with as well

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:26 PM
    Liked 866 Times in 508 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I've wondered for some time what effect this may have on evolution. I don't know how long frozen embryos are good for, but say in 500 years there's a fad to implant 21st century embryos, if it would even be possible. Would the genetic makeup of the child be somewhat different than her 26th century contemporaries?