Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:04 AM
    Liked 6,982 Times in 5,015 Posts

Premium Member

Default New EVH pedals/products coming ?

In the new Guitar World issue , there's a mention of Eddie coming out with some new gear .
    We've all heard about the vintage-with-more-balls-Marshall amp he's designing . Can't wait !!!

There was also a reference to some new MXR stuff on the horizon .
    What could that/they be ?

He's currently using an MXR analog chorus . Does that warrant a new signature pedal , or is there something else in the pipeline ?
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:51 AM
    Liked 379 Times in 225 Posts

Probably just the chorus. Would be nice if he did delay pedals. I'd love a MXR EVH detune/harmonizer pedal. Doubt that'll ever happen.

3. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,107 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

A SDE-3000 delay pedal would be awesome
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

I was wondering if Ed would do a signature chorus . It's not an effect he currently uses a lot . The detuned sound he's been fond of in the past is cool , but not sure how it fits into his current rig .
    A delay would be amazing too ! Especially one with a couple of different settings . There's a lot of potential there .

Hope we can get some more insight/insider scoop on this .
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:07 AM
    Liked 2,861 Times in 1,072 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Wow, I haven't read the article yet, so I hadn't caught the new MXR products comment. I've got zero idea what it could be. I don't think he uses chorus enough to warrant a signature chorus, his SDE delays are tried and true, and MXR isn't really in the harmonizer/detune business. If I have to venture a guess I'd say it's probably a delay.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:46 AM
    Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts

I saw the chorus on his board recently, does anyone know when he uses it? I was racking my brain!

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:51 AM
    Liked 379 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RickyW View Post
    I saw the chorus on his board recently, does anyone know when he uses it? I was racking my brain!
    He did use it for the Diver Down tunes-Pretty Woman. I've listened to a few bootlegs and I can't really hear the usual chorus sweep. I assume it's the recordings. But I'm hopeful the MXR chorus is capable of turning the sweep off for a cheap harmonizer type effect.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cant pick 1!
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 96 Times in 77 Posts

Maybe a dirt box? I know when the '78 bada$$ came out folks were hoping it was VH1 in a stomper. I cant see it being a delay, MXR only does analog and the Carbon Copy is already great.

Last Online

10.29.15 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts

I could be wrong but I thought he stopped using the harmoniser and was just using the chorus to get a similar sound for the songs that relied on that harmoniser sound?
    Doesn't he just use delay now?

Maybe he'll do a sig octave divider?
    I used to be 'sean112' but lost all my details!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.07.17 @ 08:20 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I think he used the MXR Chorus on Pretty Woman and Cathedral....

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.30.16 @ 11:24 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by monty4 View Post
    Maybe a dirt box? I know when the '78 bada$$ came out folks were hoping it was VH1 in a stomper. I cant see it being a delay, MXR only does analog and the Carbon Copy is already great.
    Hmm. How 'bout a low voltage Variac simulator pedal?

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cant pick 1!
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 96 Times in 77 Posts

^^^
    Would be killer!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    In the new Guitar World issue , there's a mention of Eddie coming out with some new gear .
    We've all heard about the vintage-with-more-balls-Marshall amp he's designing . Can't wait !!!

There was also a reference to some new MXR stuff on the horizon .
    What could that/they be ?

He's currently using an MXR analog chorus . Does that warrant a new signature pedal , or is there something else in the pipeline ?
    I was talking to a guy on another forum, and I'm not sure where he got his info...He was a bit evasive which can sometimes mean good things, but he said that the new 5134 (or whatever it's gonna be called officially) is expected to be similar in design to the hot rodded Marshally tone of the Bogner Shiva with more available gain, a more versatile EQ stack, but without the boutique price point. The EL34 Shivas are a great sounding amp, and it retains that nice wine like woody tone, but has such sweet overdrive that has that classic Marshall crunch rather than the more clippy sounding modern overdrive found on so many modern amps.
    If this is true, then it's kind of full circle in that at the time the original 5150 came out, he was going for a Marshall/Soldano hybrid. That would be very cool!

I know he's collaborated with Reinhold over the years to no avail....At one point they were talking about doing an amp together, but it never materialized, but I'm sure it's something that's been in the back of his mind for some time, especially in the current musical direction he's in.
    Make no mistake...I don't think Bogner has had any involvement, or consultation duty on this amp, but those amps are a great base point to start from. I'm sure it will be a high watter 100w, or 120w as opposed to the Bogner's more conservative 80w output numbers.

I played a Shiva a couple years ago at a studio, and immediately fell in love with the thing.
    It sounded so much like the classic full up Marshall Plexi's with little prodding, I was blown away, and just has that Marshall "krang" all over the tone! Just so expensive, though they are cheaper now than back then....Still up there though.

I'm like a lot of players who have owned the original blockletter 5150 models. We loved the available gain, and many of the features, but myself...I never really associated it with the true EVH overdriven Marshall type voicing, but I did fall in love with the gain at any volume, and the resonance control in a very affordable package at the time as I was never fond of most of the distortion, and overdrive pedals at the time.

That's why after I sold mine, I never went out to get a newer EVH model simply because they deviate so much from what I grew up loving about his sound.

It's funny...I don't play like Ed, and rarely do VH covers either, but I know good tone, and what works for me. Don't get me wrong...It's a great amp, just as I'm sure the new models are, but with the limited EQ I had on my Peavey, I found it hard to dial in a real distinct tone that was my own, but if I was playing metal, it was and still is THE amp to have!

If it does share a similarity with the Bogner's versatility, and vintage tone cues , it'll make a lot of players happy.

Sorry to derail the thread...I'm just hopeful!
    As far as pedals, I'm sure the chorus will be the big one to expect. A delay would be great, but I don't really see it. There's already a saturation of tape emulated delays out there.
    Last edited by we die young; 05.01.15 at 03:46 PM.

16. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

^^^ That was a great post , we die young !!!
    I can relate somewhat about the original 5150 amps vs Ed's famous Marshall tone . The newer 5150's are just overkill IMO . Good amps , no , great amps - just pretty far removed from the tones we all grew up with . Of course you can always just lower the gain ... LOL .

Rick has spoke to EVH personnel about the new amps . Hope he can get the scoop on the new Dunlop and MXR stuff too

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    ^^^ That was a great post , we die young !!!
    I can relate somewhat about the original 5150 amps vs Ed's famous Marshall tone . The newer 5150's are just overkill IMO . Good amps , no , great amps - just pretty far removed from the tones we all grew up with . Of course you can always just lower the gain ... LOL .

Rick has spoke to EVH personnel about the new amps . Hope he can get the scoop on the new Dunlop and MXR stuff too
    Thanks!....and yeah, you can just turn down the gain, but it's the limited EQ overall on the 5150's that I found a little frustrating. I was able to tame my 5150 by doing the 12ay7 preamp tube swap, and it sounded better, had a lot less hiss, and just had more warmth, but it just didn't have the versatility that I was looking for for different music I play.
    That said...I loved it for what it did well.