Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

11.20.17 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 51 Times in 18 Posts

Default peavey WG exp laminate body vs. EVH WG laminate body

I just purchased one of the peavey necks sold on ebay from the 5150 studio.
    Now i need to buy a body. I really like my EVH japanese special flat top body, and curious if the exp is the same? Are they both basswood with the same thickness laminate? Single ply binding.. what can be different except one does not have a hole for a tone knob?
    Thanks!

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

I just noticed i posted in the wrong thread..

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:09 AM
    Liked 6,971 Times in 5,007 Posts

Premium Member

Congrats on the purchase !
    I think that's very cool indeed . Are you at liberty to divulge the final cost ?

Also , great topic for a new thread . I don't know all the technical specs to answer your question , although I'm sure others on here probably do .
    Surprised there haven't been a few more replies yet ...

Good Luck
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

Feel Your Love Tonight
    Last Online

07.12.17 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

The Peavey Wolfgang Exps don't have single ply binding. They have a faux wood binding.
    \m/ VH \m/

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.15.15 @ 02:20 PM
    Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts

Nice buy! Those necks got a bit too pricey for me. If I had been able to pick one up, I would have had a body built for it. I am interested to know what you end up doing, if you do a neck swap, I would be interested in said neck.

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:24 AM
    Liked 2,858 Times in 1,069 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Cool score! If I were you I'd hunt down a USA Peavey body for that neck. Not for any spec difference, as it's all basically the same, but just for a sort of correct completion aspect. Or have Scott Fletcher build you something custom, and get a really unique guitar.

Also, IIRC there is a 1/16" difference in neck pocket size, where the Peavey necks may be a touch wider?

Last Online

11.16.17 @ 07:07 PM
    Liked 212 Times in 103 Posts

That is a great score! I agree with Jedi about the body... find a US Peavey that matches it!

I actually bought a couple of the cases they sold...

Now if only I can track down a Tobacco special, Stop-tail, with P90s and rosewood to go in that case marked "prototype".
    Last edited by AsIs; 04.27.15 at 08:45 PM.

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Mine just arrived! Case says stop tail primer grey.. I had recently purchased an EVH Stealth stop tail and guess what,
    It bolted right on. Super tight fit, thought it wasn't going to go on but it did. As of now, this is perfect because I really like
    the flat top body..

10. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 726 Times in 343 Posts

Congrats on the neck. Now, regarding your original question. I realize it's a moot point since you have already mated the neck to a EVH Stealth Special body, but maybe the following information will make you feel better about it.

Let me start with the specifications. The bodies are the same shape, obviously, but you want to know if there is an advantage of one over the other. First of all, both bodies are basically solid basswood. The trans finishes used a very thin veneer for appearance only. About as thick as a piece of construction paper, so it really adds nothing to the tone. Between the two, I have to give the prize for prettiest tops to the EVH Special over the Peavey EXP. The Peaveys were not a bookmatched veneer, and the EVH Special is, so it looks better and truer to the top on the USA models.

There are some differences in the finish that you may find are the biggest differences. The Peavey EXP used a thick poly finish, just like most other guitars out there. The 1st Gen flat top EVH Wolfgang Specials used the same "thin-skin" finish as the USA version. Supposed to help the guitar resonate and sustain better. The EVH Specials also had unpainted cavities that are supposed to help the wood breathe and age more quickly, and enhance the tone. I'm not entirely convinced any of that matters, but in theory it should make a difference. Probably not audible to most people, but those are the features. If you believe the hype about this stuff, then you would once again have to say, advantage- EVH Wolfgang Special.

From personal experience, I've owned USA Peavey Wolf Standards, Specials, Flametop Specials, and and EXP. I currently own the EVH Wolf Special (MIC). I have to say that I feel the EVH seems to be more precisely cut in all the cavities and I cannot see a single flaw in the fitment. The Peavey EXP body didn't seem to be as precise. Probably because they had to leave enough slop to account for the thick poly paint, whereas the EVH has a thinner finish, which would allow them to be more accurate with their routes.

Anyway, between the two, I would use the EVH Wolf Special body. That being said, what I would probably do is check Ebay for a 2nd gen Wolf Special body with the carved top, and use that.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

the one Ed plays guitar on
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:08 PM
    Liked 784 Times in 422 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CHUCKYAB View Post

...I'm assuming those strings came with the neck?

You might want to (VERY gingerly) remove them and pop them in the freezer...you never know, you just may have some EVH DNA on those Super Slinkys you'll need to preserve for future generations!

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Haha yes the strings cane with.
    Btw this neck is about 1/8" talker than the evh neck.
    Had to raise the bridge very high. Not sure a floyd would sit well.