Favorite VH Album

fuck
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

10.08.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts

Default Predicting a HUGE improvement from DLR on tour

Logically, it makes sense. After all this public bashing, what else could he do? Nobody takes this kind of bashing and does the same shit.
    The guy knows how to train for stuff. (swordfighting, staying in shape, the high kicks back in the day)

I'm guessing (and hoping) that he is jedi/ninja training his voice and hopefully stage moves over the next couple months for this tour. With Ed playing this good, it is time for the whole band to fire on all cylinders and do a kick ass tour, and make a DVD to go with it. Hoping they go out on a high note!
    Lets just throw a pound of weed in the fire place, f@#% it!

Proud owner: Purple Flame Ernie Ball Music Man Axis and a 5150 Combo Amp.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:53 PM
    Liked 2,650 Times in 1,329 Posts

You're suggesting that...

A. Dave was unaware of how he has been singing until the public bashing.

B. Dave gives any shit whatsoever about what other people think of him.

I don't believe either. He sings the way he does because he wants to, and he doesn't care what other people think. I will be happy for you and Dave to prove me wrong, though.

And a DVD? I wish, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. After all, Eddie will just say "why give them exactly what they just saw?" like last time. Again, I hope to be wrong, but this band simply doesn't release video. I think Ed and Al are part of some obscure religion that only includes the two of them and the one commandment is "Thou shalt not release live video!"

I'm sorry, they've just conditioned me to be pessimistic.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 1,852 Times in 810 Posts

Sorry, I've listened to the live album at least 30 times, I think Dave is fine. Couple songs are reaches, but overall he brings it.
    If when I see them in Boston, he brings the CD voice, I will go home very happy

4. The Following 6 Members Like This Post:

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, D.O.A., TYWH
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:59 PM
    Liked 1,326 Times in 796 Posts

Default Dave will continue to be a "Showman" over a "Rock'n'Roller"

There will be no Improvments in the direction of singing the songs more like they are on the albums.

DLR is *not* a Rock'n'Roller at heart, but EVH is. DLR is a showman, an Al Jolson put-on-the-black-face and sing and dance to "Mammy" guy, that happened to hook up with a firebrand of a guitar player, EVH. While Dave did agree to "record" the albums as a "Rock'n'Roller", when it came time to do the material onstage, then, Dave reverted to his base, which is "showman," and is not, "Rock'n'Roller".

Dave is changing his "showman" routine in ways that he wants to, for whatever reason. Who knows what goes on in the mind of a showman.

I think that the Van Halens are resigned to that fact about the nature of Dave, and where he comes from, where he has always come from.

Dave is such a "Legend in his Own Mind", that all these negative comments about his "stage performance" --- Well he just knows that all those folks just don't "get it". Dave can't be shamed into doing anything differently onstage, because, his job has never been to be a "Rock'n'Roller" onstage, but, in his mind, his job has always been to be a "showman" onstage. And that means that doing his routine *is* more important than him trying to sing like what he agreed to do "on the records".

And Ed & Alex & Wolf accept that.

They know that VH could of course draw more people to the shows IF Dave would sing the songs like they are on the albums. VH could be doing a Stadium Tour like the Rolling Stones are, if that was the case. That said, they pushed the shed prices up as far as they can go, to make up for not filling stadiums.

And finally,

On the Records, it is right to Credit Dave as the "Lead Singer".

For Concerts, it is accurate to cite Dave as "Lead Showman". IT is what IT is.
    Last edited by The Rover; 04.25.15 at 09:16 PM.

~~8 U.S.C. § 1182(f)~~

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 2,028 Times in 1,265 Posts

Honestly, I think he will be better than the Kimmel show. Some songs are just difficult for him, so, I wouldn't think those will get better, but for the most part I think he will be.... slightly better.

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:55 PM
    Liked 183 Times in 80 Posts

Dave's vocal performances have changed a lot depending on the tour. He hasn't actually regressed over the years. He was at his worst in 1999. He tried to be old-school Dave in '02 and had mixed results. Then he fixed his voice up and sounded good but different from 2004-2008. I would say those were his conservative voice years where he really tried to sing straight and focused more on utilizing his lower voice. I want that Dave back! He went down a notch in 2012 but sounded stronger in 2013. He's always evolving. And despite what others are saying, I think he DOES pay attention to what others say and WILL make efforts to improve this tour. Dave's a fighter. He loves a challenge and will try his best to prove naysayers wrong. I honestly think his voice was messed up at the very beginning of the 2012 tour due to a respiratory infection. He was sick and had to fight through that. He lost the battle that tour but came back strong for the 2013 shows. We might not like the high voice, but he had it mostly under control in 2013. My bet is he will listen and sing more straight this tour, at least in the beginning. He has a tendency to do more improv with his voice as he gets used to the ups and downs of singing on tour. If they plan to record a show, they should do it somewhat early in the tour before Dave goes off in his own world again. My guess is he will listen to the original recordings as a reference point since it's been a few years. He's never been known for his ability to remember songs.

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, D.O.A., TYWH
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:59 PM
    Liked 1,326 Times in 796 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NOaverageJOE View Post
    If they plan to record a show, they should do it somewhat early in the tour before Dave goes off in his own world again. My guess is he will listen to the original recordings as a reference point since it's been a few years. He's never been known for his ability to remember songs.
    Which is strange, because, as others around the site love to point out, repeatedly, as a reason to validate why DLR should be singing on this tour: "He wrote the songs!"

So, yeah, if somone pens a sonnet, you'd think, barring brain damage, or senility, that they could remember the songs they penned. But hey, if they can't, that's no Big Deal to me, a fan, because, I know anyone in a Premier Rock band, would accomodate for that by using a tele-prompter. Many older bands do that now, I guess. Even back in the 90's, Page & Plant were using teleprompters on their tour.

But s/t tells me that that that won't fly with showman Dave, in the Premier rock band, VAN HALEN!

~~8 U.S.C. § 1182(f)~~

Last Online

05.08.15 @ 01:28 AM
    Liked 620 Times in 379 Posts

On the positive side, Dave does change. However, some of these bad habits have been going on for a long-ass time. Since Skyscraper, actually. Drop all that cutesy stuff, Dave. Bad-ass Dave is the only one who can deliver proper VH vocals and DLR's charismatic aura, with that cool timber of old.

Good luck, dude.

I dare you to surprise us and bring it.

But I ain't holding my breath.

Have fun. Just don't be a smiling goof.

Find your old groove and have that kind of fun.
    Last edited by ExpandedConsciousness; 04.26.15 at 02:25 AM.

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:17 AM
    Liked 1,473 Times in 899 Posts

Dave will be Dave. I'm not expecting him to sound like the records.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:56 PM
    Liked 11,735 Times in 6,503 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Rover View Post

DLR is *not* a Rock'n'Roller at heart, but EVH is. DLR is a showman, an Al Jolson put-on-the-black-face and sing and dance to "Mammy" guy, that happened to hook up with a firebrand of a guitar player, EVH. While Dave did agree to "record" the albums as a "Rock'n'Roller", when it came time to do the material onstage, then, Dave reverted to his base, which is "showman," and is not, "Rock'n'Roller".
    Not only is this incorrect, it shows that you absolutely have zero clue about Van Halen's history or their musical influences. If you're going to be a hater, at least get the band's history correct.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rover View Post
    Dave is changing his "showman" routine in ways that he wants to, for whatever reason. Who knows what goes on in the mind of a showman.

I think that the Van Halens are resigned to that fact about the nature of Dave, and where he comes from, where he has always come from.

Dave is such a "Legend in his Own Mind", that all these negative comments about his "stage performance" --- Well he just knows that all those folks just don't "get it". Dave can't be shamed into doing anything differently onstage, because, his job has never been to be a "Rock'n'Roller" onstage, but, in his mind, his job has always been to be a "showman" onstage. And that means that doing his routine *is* more important than him trying to sing like what he agreed to do "on the records".

And Ed & Alex & Wolf accept that.

They know that VH could of course draw more people to the shows IF Dave would sing the songs like they are on the albums. VH could be doing a Stadium Tour like the Rolling Stones are, if that was the case. That said, they pushed the shed prices up as far as they can go, to make up for not filling stadiums.

And finally,

On the Records, it is right to Credit Dave as the "Lead Singer".

For Concerts, it is accurate to cite Dave as "Lead Showman". IT is what IT is.
    There is no way that you have been a "fan since the 70's". You have joined the ranks of those posters who claim to have loved CVH and Dave, but yet rip him to shreds and reduce all of his contributions to just being there. You have ripped everything the man does, or has done. You've even called for Mitch Malloy to replace him now. MITCH MALLOY.

You probably still believe that lead guitarists write everything in every band, right?
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

15. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:41 PM
    Liked 1,943 Times in 913 Posts

Premium Member

Dave will probably sound great on the next studio album, but I doubt he will sound any different live. There's a good chance he looks different though. I'm more interested in how he handles his new plugs than his voice at this point. I've moved on from expecting more vocally.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.30.16 @ 11:24 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts

The tour is billed as a Van Halen concert, and people paying $100 - $200 for a ticket expect to see Van Halen --- not the "musical stylings" of DLR. Dave had the better part of the last 25 years to do all the soft-shoe, dance mix, rockabilly, jazz stuff he wanted. When Van Halen allowed him to come back to the band everyone assumed it would be to do CVH, --- rather than attempting a musical experiment of trying to blend the DLR solo show into Van Halen.

Dave sounded great on ADKOT. And on the original 6 for that matter. Dave's job is to be the singer, even though people love making excuses and call him a front-man instead. He is the singer of the band. Get that part down. Anything else that he brings to the table is a bonus. Perhaps he should spend less time on smoking, his many hairdoos, his tattoos, and dancing, and more time on his craft of singing. If he's going to front the band again, I want the singer to sound good. I could care less about whether or not a guy in his 60s can do the splits.

18. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

04.22.16 @ 06:48 AM
    Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts

His phrasing will always be the same approach and that's fine. That's dlr and that's gives it the live feel. It's that high register that's gets most of is where he loses all his tonal character.

So our best chance is that his sister hears the feedback and sits him down for a chat.

20. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:53 PM
    Liked 2,650 Times in 1,329 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LivingTheDream View Post
    The tour is billed as a Van Halen concert, and people paying $100 - $200 for a ticket expect to see Van Halen --- not the "musical stylings" of DLR. Dave had the better part of the last 25 years to do all the soft-shoe, dance mix, rockabilly, jazz stuff he wanted. When Van Halen allowed him to come back to the band everyone assumed it would be to do CVH, --- rather than attempting a musical experiment of trying to blend the DLR solo show into Van Halen.

Dave sounded great on ADKOT. And on the original 6 for that matter. Dave's job is to be the singer, even though people love making excuses and call him a front-man instead. He is the singer of the band. Get that part down. Anything else that he brings to the table is a bonus. Perhaps he should spend less time on smoking, his many hairdoos, his tattoos, and dancing, and more time on his craft of singing. If he's going to front the band again, I want the singer to sound good. I could care less about whether or not a guy in his 60s can do the splits.
    This is not relevant at all to how Dave actually sings. In those interview clips from 2012 Dave himself went into great detail explaining how the vocals were done. He sang the parts over and over and over and then the vocals were pieced together from tiny little bits, completely manufactured, sometimes splicing individual syllables together to form the vocal lines. I'm not criticizing or defending, just stating the facts. Dave does not sing in any sort of melodic way and never has so this is not surprising though. But the whole idea of "Hey, he sang great on the album" is completely meaningless. The vocals on ADKOT are simply a construct.

Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

07.25.17 @ 10:53 PM
    Liked 314 Times in 157 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Not only is this incorrect, it shows that you absolutely have zero clue about Van Halen's history or their musical influences. If you're going to be a hater, at least get the band's history correct.

There is no way that you have been a "fan since the 70's". You have joined the ranks of those posters who claim to have loved CVH and Dave, but yet rip him to shreds and reduce all of his contributions to just being there. You have ripped everything the man does, or has done. You've even called for Mitch Malloy to replace him now. MITCH MALLOY.

You probably still believe that lead guitarists write everything in every band, right?
    I question why he's even here. Seriously.