Favorite VH Album

Like em all. even III. ;}
    Favorite VH Song

A Lot!
    Last Online

09.08.16 @ 05:36 PM
    Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts

Default "Go To Last Post"

Love this site, but cannot follow it anymore. I used to be able to go to my last post, so I wouldn't have to go thru pages of stuff, and just want to find 'where I left off at'. Easier to navigate that way.

any help. or im just dumb, blah.
    I DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' CLICK!

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:10 PM
    Liked 1,343 Times in 921 Posts

when you are looking at a forum and a list of the threads in that forum, starting on the left, each thread should have an icon of an envelope, which I'm not sure if it's supposed to do anything as it never does anything when I click on it (but if I hover over it it tells me how many posts I have in said thread). To the right of that, could be a blue dot with a double down arrow in it - this will take you to the first new post since you last visited. Then the thread icon (usually a sheet of paper), then the thread title. Further over will be an icon of the tags, and if there are any attachments there will be a paper clip. Then the replies, and then the last poster and next to the last poster a small blue box with a double right facing arrow, that if clicked will take you to that last post. So I'm pretty sure what you are wanting is the blue dot to the right of the envelope.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 6,815 Times in 3,564 Posts

Premium Member

There used to be a go to last post feature before the upgrade. Several people miss it and have asked about it. I'm one of them. I still miss it for the reasons that 20th said. Find where you left off in any thread and carry on. Was way better then guessing at pages since you were last here.

I'm used to the upgrade now and barely notice the changes... but the search function is not the same at all and the go to last post button was the best.

Not bitching here... just commenting.

We need Hot Sauce back so he can foot the bill for some maintenance upgrades.
    Last edited by Number 47; 04.24.15 at 02:29 PM.

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    when you are looking at a forum and a list of the threads in that forum, starting on the left, each thread should have an icon of an envelope, which I'm not sure if it's supposed to do anything as it never does anything when I click on it (but if I hover over it it tells me how many posts I have in said thread). To the right of that, could be a blue dot with a double down arrow in it - this will take you to the first new post since you last visited. Then the thread icon (usually a sheet of paper), then the thread title. Further over will be an icon of the tags, and if there are any attachments there will be a paper clip. Then the replies, and then the last poster and next to the last poster a small blue box with a double right facing arrow, that if clicked will take you to that last post. So I'm pretty sure what you are wanting is the blue dot to the right of the envelope.
    The go to last post icon was just right there in the thread title. Click... done!

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

I guess I'm just not understanding what you guys are looking for! From what you are describing, the button I described does just that! If I read a thread before I go to bed and the last post was at 10:20P, and then I come in in the morning and there have been 20 new posts, I click that button and it takes me to the first post of those 20, the first post after the 1020P post, which is "where I left off".

Last Online

Premium Member

THERE USE TO BE a go to last post icon. We all used it but don'y remember it>????>>L:<NLB"JV:JGCLGCGHCKHGGC KFFFF/n sdxj bqjbbqwjdbcqwbdfJQJdjqefc/'j nes'g4o
    ]m
    u]g,riy[39ym[evmyojmyy wre
    vdcxhgb[hgnf;b/sRk 0loh j

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

I grabbed a snapshot of the old site and I don't see anything there that is not in the new site. I've circled the button I think you are referring to:

old.jpg

and here it is on the new version:

new.jpg

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:40 PM
    Liked 11,543 Times in 4,918 Posts

Yes that's what I don't understand. It's still there.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

The button everyone is talking about and requesting won't show up on any Internet archive because you would have to of been logged in to see it as it only showed up on threads which you posted in. I looked around even in my archives and I don't have any screen shots of the old site listing threads in a forum to illustrate an example of this button.

It was a blue button with an arrow displayed at the end of a thread title on the right side (before the pages listing) and when hovered over it would say "Go to last post by you". And when clicked, it took you to the last post you yourself made in a thread.

The button above that's being referenced takes you to the newest post since you last visited a thread with "Go to last new post" when hovered over. Different function than taking you to the last post you yourself made in the thread.

The only thing available in this new version of the board is a green arrow on the envelope graphic preceding a thread which when hovered over tells you how many posts you have made to the thread and the date of your last post. Theoretically you could be able to click this to get the functionality people are requesting, but it doesn't behave as a link.

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

I guess I don't get what the difference is? If you made the last post in a thread, would that not be the last post you viewed? And if you only read a thread and were interested in reading more, would you not want to go back to the first post you hadn't read?

Good Enough ED'S A 20THCENTURY MOZART's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Like em all. even III. ;}
    Favorite VH Song

A Lot!
    Last Online

09.08.16 @ 05:36 PM
    Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts

ok, I think I figured it out, hhah....

Thanks!
    I DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' CLICK!

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:42 PM
    Liked 2,852 Times in 1,066 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Default &quot;Go To Last Post&quot;

I've been missing this feature too. The "go to latest" post button never works correctly for me, or if I switch computers it will take me to different spots. The old "your last post" button (exactly how Fontcow described it) was super useful.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    I've been missing this feature too. The "go to latest" post button never works correctly for me, or if I switch computers it will take me to different spots. The old "your last post" button (exactly how Fontcow described it) was super useful.
    I'll give you that it can be a bit buggy on occasion. Like if you start to review the posts you want in a forum and you get knocked offline or leave the forum for some other reason. But the majority of the time it works as it should.

Don't know if Brett still has a copy of the old forum somewhere that he can put online (internally) and find this button that you guys are talking about and see if similar functionality exists in this version of the software. I never had occasion to use it apparently as I don't recall it at all!