Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The new one, Hopefully!
    Favorite VH Song

Impossible
    Last Online

04.18.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 102 Times in 54 Posts

Default Why no Alex Van Halen thread, or Drum Thread?

I look on the interwebs to find info pertaining to Al's drum set up, specifically the natural drums he used at Manny's in 2012. Specifically if his Ludwigs are 3 ply or 6 ply maple, but I can't find anything. Also, why no signature ludwigs from Al? I know he had a snare in 09' come out and he has the Reverend Al 24" ride, but no signature kit. Sad. He should have a whole line of cymbals, skins, a signature foot pedal, drum kit, snare, etc.

Just think if a guy could build a jam room in his house and have an EVH amp and guitar and Al's signature drums in there too. Totally Awesome!

2. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:00 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Things Change View Post
    I look on the interwebs to find info pertaining to Al's drum set up, specifically the natural drums he used at Manny's in 2012. Specifically if his Ludwigs are 3 ply or 6 ply maple, but I can't find anything. Also, why no signature ludwigs from Al? I know he had a snare in 09' come out and he has the Reverend Al 24" ride, but no signature kit. Sad. He should have a whole line of cymbals, skins, a signature foot pedal, drum kit, snare, etc.

Just think if a guy could build a jam room in his house and have an EVH amp and guitar and Al's signature drums in there too. Totally Awesome!
    That would be awesome and I'd be in line for Al's kit for just that reason. I've noticed his new kit has a VH logo on every drum. So I'm hoping there's a Ludwig AVH kit coming soon. Probably not. They do custom things for him all the time. But I'm hoping!

4. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:39 PM
    Liked 8,738 Times in 4,725 Posts

Premium Member

Probably because even in this place there are people who say they only care about EVH and whichever singer. There's reasons why Al is so underrated. It sucks for those of us who love and appreciate Al's playing, tones, and custom kits. But I don't think it bothers him even a little bit lol.

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:52 PM
    Liked 6,971 Times in 5,007 Posts

Premium Member

I love Al's drumming and his influence on many of us , as well as Ed .
    I do wish he'd cut out all the cheese from his solos though . The horns / triggers / samples were a different twist for the Balance tour for example , but now it's overdone and overused IMO . He's got monster technique and is very musical , so I don't get why he's masking it with that stuff ?

Drum solos are usually shorter than guitar solo spotlights , so why not just PLAY ? Disappointed to hear that stuff so prominently on the new live cd . He's almost using it as a 'crutch' like Ed's sustainer . At least to my ears .

I didn't like when another favorite drummer of mine - Tommy Lee - did that same sort of thing ...
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 7,619 Times in 3,996 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    I love Al's drumming and his influence on many of us , as well as Ed .
    I do wish he'd cut out all the cheese from his solos though . The horns / triggers / samples were a different twist for the Balance tour for example , but now it's overdone and overused IMO . He's got monster technique and is very musical , so I don't get why he's masking it with that stuff ?

Drum solos are usually shorter than guitar solo spotlights , so why not just PLAY ? Disappointed to hear that stuff so prominently on the new live cd . He's almost using it as a 'crutch' like Ed's sustainer . At least to my ears .

I didn't like when another favorite drummer of mine - Tommy Lee - did that same sort of thing ...
    Definitely agree on both points.

Tommy Lee's solo on the "Shout at the devil" tour was absolutely killer.
    He just played the shit out of his TAMA's.

Al is a monster, no doubt, but i don't like a lot of his choices in "modernizing"
    his sound or solo.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 7,619 Times in 3,996 Posts

Love his hi-hat work on "Romeo" though, from Tokyo Dome.

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Premium Member

I enjoy when Alex incorporates the horns into his playing, but when it is a section of his solo. The last tour I was disappointed to see that section of his solo was in fact his entire solo, and was only about 2 1/2 min long. I had grown accustomed to him having three distinct sections to his solos, and the solos being 5-6 min long the last few tours. Hope he goes back to that this time around.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    Love his hi-hat work on "Romeo" though, from Tokyo Dome.
    Yes, he does some great hi hat work in the breakdown! RD is a highlight on Tokyo for me, by the whole band.

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

Al is a completely unique drummer in rock. His style is non replaceable. We may have had Al threads long ago. We have had many polls about best drummers.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

16. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:46 PM
    Liked 171 Times in 102 Posts

I've often wondered why he only played with his brother. I imagine he'd be easily recognizable on anything he played and kick ass.

18. The Following Member Likes This Post:

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH-II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Girl gone bad/Dreams live
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:59 AM
    Liked 140 Times in 64 Posts

I have been an AVH fan and drummer since 1981. I am also a Ludwig fanatic and have collectring vintage Ludwigs for years. Alex uses the classic maple series which is one of Ludwigs top end lines. They are made up of 7 plies of maple and his new set features the small brass keystone badge which came out sometime in 2013. The set Alex used in 2013 was similar to this one but it had the larger keystone badge which Ludwig has used since 1984 when Selmer bought the company from the Ludwig family. For some reason Alex uses a double pedal as opposed to using the two bass drums indipendantly. The hardware on his set is all custom done copper(which I have never seen before) and the finish is mirror chrome like the set he had on the RHRN video.
    "What do you expect from a guy who makes his living beating things with a stick!"-EVH

20. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH-II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Girl gone bad/Dreams live
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:59 AM
    Liked 140 Times in 64 Posts

I am actually pretty facinated with the silver sparkle set Alex used in the club days, first album and tour and second album(pieces of). I can't figure out if the set was bought as a double bass set new in either late 1969 or early 70's and I don't know if there was any other Ludwig set in between this one and the blue pearl St George set that we all know Alex stole from Eddie while he was delivering papers to pay for it.

As for the pieces, I have seen the set with a 14x26 bass drum, 14x24 bass drum 8x12,9x13,10x14,16x16,16,18 5x15 supraphonoc and 6.5x15 super sensitive. Most Ludwig sets came with a 5x15 supraphonic so that's probably where that came from. Alex also had a 12x15 Slinger land tom mounted on a snare stand at the front of the set. Alex prefered the 6.5 supersensitive and used that primarily in the club days as well as first, second and third albums to where he switched to a Tama rosewood snare for most of fair warning. Sometime between recording VH I and the time they went on tour, Alex added a second 14x26 and 14x24 and connected the bass drums together to elongate them. I have seen a few club pics with the 8x12 but I think by VH I he was using the 13 and 14 as his main toms up top and the 12 was most likely not used again.

Because Ludwig changed the shell formula in 1976-77 from a three ply maple shell to a 6-ply maple shell with no re-rings I have often wondered if the newer bass drum sections are different from the original 26 and 24. It saddens me to see this set thrown together in a hard rock overseas somewhere with no care taken to the set up. Those elongated bass drums were a rock and roll first and Alex never seems to get credit for his inventive set ups. I would bet that those bass drums were assembled in the same garage that Eddies frankenstrat was assembled. Would love to see those drums in person and look for any date stamps as Ludwig did this from the mid 50's up until around 1972. I would also love to ask Alex about anything he remembers about what prompted him to elongate the bass drums.
    "What do you expect from a guy who makes his living beating things with a stick!"-EVH

22. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:34 PM
    Liked 1,885 Times in 1,102 Posts

I don't know a lot about drumming, when I was in high school I had some friends who were drummers and they ALWAYS ragged me about Alex being way behind Neil Peart (prolly spelled that wrong) from Rush in terms of his technical ability. I don't know how true or false that is but I always liked what Al brought to the table. I love some of his drum work on OU812 especially AFU, he throws a lot of little fills in there that I think are cool as hell.

24. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Railrunner130 View Post
    I've often wondered why he only played with his brother. I imagine he'd be easily recognizable on anything he played and kick ass.
    He did play on a track for Lenny Kravitz. Other than that I can't think of anyone else besides Van Halen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_Love_Rule_%28song%29
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

Donor

Some of my recurring thoughts on Alex Van Halen:
    (and I'm no drummer)

He looks so effortless up there since 2004.

I never hear him screw up. Again, I'm no drummer, but he seems so solid to me.

He's an interesting guy, and I like him, but he comes across kind of strange in the 3 person (Ed, Al, and Dave) interviews they did around ADKOT...kind of pseudo-intellectual. The whole bit about Starbucks being in the milk business was a real "I don't care moment" for me.

Has he really been sober since OU812?

I wish Al acted like the older brother more and maybe directed Ed a little bit. I don't know that he didn't do that, but in the interviews with them together, he seems to just go along with Ed...especially the MTV sit down after the breakup with Dave/Sammy.

My uncle met him in 2012 in Rosemont. He was eating breakfast (with Dave) and he was extremely cool and easy going. He wanted to talk more about anything else besides music.

To this day, I'm convinced that is not him playing on Van Halen III. I think that was Eddie. I just didn't hear any of the Al signature sounds.
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon