Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

05.25.17 @ 07:52 PM
    Liked 190 Times in 83 Posts

Default Will Tokyo Dome Live be the end of David Lee Roth in Van Halen?

First, I really hope not! However, I have read some Tokyo Dome reviews suggesting that the album's commercial failure and the harsh commercial/fan criticism directed at Roth's vocals will cause Ed to give him the boot! What do you guys think? Personally, I ended up enjoying the album. However, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the end after the tour. The tour itself is suffering from soft tix sales. Just checked Chicago and there are plenty of tickets to be had! Personally, I want a studio album follow up myself. Purely for selfish reasons, cause it won't sell much to make it worth it. I know many of you want Sam back. That's fine, but don't think that it will mean instant commercial success. I don't support the idea. This band has been so unstable as is. I am looking forward to going to the concert with my son. Just wondering what other sensible fans are thinking. I know what the non sensible ones think already! I've included the link to an example of such review. There are many positive reviews out there as well. Undeniably, the album is selling very poor- under 50k. Humbling to say the least.

http://www.lordsofmetal.nl/en/reviews/view/id/29460
    What are your major influences?

"Our major influences are my cock, Schlitz Malt Liquor, fast cars, loud music, volume. You know, all the usual."

DLR-1977

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:46 PM
    Liked 11,787 Times in 6,533 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by edvanheineken View Post
    First, I really hope not! However, I have read some Tokyo Dome reviews suggesting that the album's commercial failure and the harsh commercial/fan criticism directed at Roth's vocals will cause Ed to give him the boot! What do you guys think? Personally, I ended up enjoying the album. However, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the end after the tour. The tour itself is suffering from soft tix sales. Just checked Chicago and there are plenty of tickets to be had! Personally, I want a studio album follow up myself. Purely for selfish reasons, cause it won't sell much to make it worth it. I know many of you want Sam back. That's fine, but don't think that it will mean instant commercial success. I don't support the idea. This band has been so unstable as is. I am looking forward to going to the concert with my son. Just wondering what other sensible fans are thinking. I know what the non sensible ones think already! I've included the link to an example of such review. There are many positive reviews out there as well. Undeniably, the album is selling very poor- under 50k. Humbling to say the least.

http://www.lordsofmetal.nl/en/reviews/view/id/29460
    Tokyo Dome is selling just as expected. I don't understand people who still believe that bands expect albums to sell like it's 1995. As I have said before, I believe they will do one more album and tour and call it a career.

As for the tour, IT'S APRIL.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

3. The Following 6 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

05.25.17 @ 07:52 PM
    Liked 190 Times in 83 Posts

No need to patronize. There are acts who sellout quickly. And I don't think it's 1995! I don't care if it's 2015 Or 2050. Less than 50k sux! OK. I'm on their side dude. And what are you? Their marketing department anyway? How do you get off saying The album is selling what's expected. I disagree, no one wants a dud. If they put it out, they thought it would sell decent.
    What are your major influences?

"Our major influences are my cock, Schlitz Malt Liquor, fast cars, loud music, volume. You know, all the usual."

DLR-1977

5. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 2,028 Times in 1,265 Posts

The album is doing what every one thought it would. 35- 50 range. Today, for an old band...that's not bad. I don't get why people think it was supposed to sell 100,000 plus copies. That wouldn't happen if Dave was singing like he did in 1979. They're sixty years old! Young people aren't flocking to buy VH music anymore.

The tour was predicted by many here, as well. It's the third time around ( nostalgia has worn off), every band is touring, prices aren't cheap (most places), no way they were gonna sell all the tickets (under the roof) at these venues, in an hour or in a day.
    Unlikely, that these venues will be complete sell outs. Along with the reasons I mentioned, many people don't wanna sit on the lawn a mile away from the action.

The concerts will have respectable attendance, when it's all said and done.

Sam, returning wouldn't mean sold out shows or live records selling a 100,000 copies.

Dave isn't getting kicked out because the live record isn't a top ten record of the year. He's not getting kicked out because the tour isn't selling out everywhere. This kind of thing has happened to other, older,bands before them. Even the Stones, since the late 90's, and the beginning of the ticket nonsense, have trouble selling out every show.
    Records don't sell when you've been doing it for almost forty years. For a bunch of different reasons, tours aren't going to sell out either. I think it's safe to say VH, and the people around them understand this.

7. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies & Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:54 AM
    Liked 5,127 Times in 2,425 Posts

also I think this is just fun for EVH. Still playing w his brother and now his son. He's not out to prove anything, sell tons of records, etc. Sure everyone still wants to be relevant and successful. But this isn't 1998 EVH.

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

All 7
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 05:38 AM
    Liked 620 Times in 218 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it man. Never heard of that lords of metal site, but I wouldn't base too much on the words of one reviewer. I've read at least half a dozen pro reviews that are all positive.
    This whole 'Dave can't sing' thing to me is just total bullshit. Sure, he sings some stuff higher than the original key and can't panther scream so he yelps, but that's as far as I'm willing to go towards his singing "problems" because I don't think he really has any. He is an old man who smokes. He sounds like an older DLR who smokes. So wha? I enjoy what they're doing. I think he sounds great on Tokyo Dome and I think a lot of people have their expectations too high for 60yr olds.

How is this album a failure? It's a live album of grandpas and it charted in the billboard 200 among the boy bands and hip hop or whatever that the kiddies listen to nowadays. I'd say that's pretty good. Music in general just does not sell big anymore, and live music from old rock groups is already in a hard spot to sell, regardless to who it is.
    Watch the Tokyo Dome concert on YouTube, they are having FUN playing together. Dave's not going anywhere.

Opinions will vary about his vocals, sure, but most of the social media/comments section blitz of Dave-can't-sing was based on reactions to how he sang "avenue" on the album teaser track. That's just goofy. 90% of iTunes negative reviews were there before the album even came out and even then there were tons that basically complained that "he can't sing, he talks most of the lyrics"...yeah, and? His style is and has always been "talking" the lyrics and then screaming. The Amazon reviews are more positive, possibly because they are based on more physical album purchases rather than 30 second digital previews on iTunes.

The whole notion that Dave sings badly enough to be kicked out of the band is pure nonsense in my opinion. I think we'll get a fun summer tour and a new album afterward. Just like Ed said.
    "I ain't complainin', you do the best with what you got."

11. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:17 PM
    Liked 7,645 Times in 4,017 Posts

I am kinda surprised by the sales, as i thought it might do a bit better than it has.

It's an odd time to release a live album like this one.
    If it was, say, from an '81 or '84 show, they could market it much better & older fans
    would support it in droves.

But it's tricky releasing a show from two years ago, with Roth struggling a bit.

Then to tour that live record, it kinda translates to weaker ticket sales.
    The general public would have no incentive, as there's no new studio release &
    they saw the tour the last time around.

Add to that the ticket prices.

To us VH are as big as The Stones, but we are in the minority.
    Only The Stones can really get away with this kinda thing, i believe.

Ed hopefully won't look at this as another rejection on par with VHIII.

I'm not sure what to expect after this Summer/Fall.

I think a new studio album should have been in place of Tokyo, with the tour to follow.
    How many years do they have left to maybe/maybe not do another record?

13. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:54 PM
    Liked 11,602 Times in 4,946 Posts

Sales are pretty bad but whatever not the end of the world.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

15. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 722 Times in 398 Posts

Someone could fart in this band and it could mean the end of David Lee Roth in Van Halen.
    blah blah blah Devin Townsend blah blah blah

https://www.facebook.com/devintownsendexperience

17. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 03:04 AM
    Liked 7,897 Times in 4,619 Posts

Premium Member

Could it be that a lot of people are saying:

"I've heard them live on the album...seen them on late night and Ellen...why should I pay, to see them perform in concert...songs from a live album"?

19. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by edvanheineken View Post
    No need to patronize. There are acts who sellout quickly. And I don't think it's 1995! I don't care if it's 2015 Or 2050. Less than 50k sux! OK. I'm on their side dude. And what are you? Their marketing department anyway? How do you get off saying The album is selling what's expected. I disagree, no one wants a dud. If they put it out, they thought it would sell decent.
    Wasn't trying to patronize, slick. Point is, the album is selling like it's 2015. The biggest rock act right now is Foo Fighters, right? They just had a number 1 album with 190,000 sold in their first week. That's 5,000 less than ADKOT'S debut. Years ago that would have been called a flop.This is the new normal in the music industry.

I'm not in VH's marketing department, but I was responsible for purchasing music for a chain store in the heart of the entertainment industry in NYC. Since you asked

Live albums never sold as well as studio releases. There are some exceptions, but that's been the norm. Combine that with the fact that nobody buys product anymore and you have what you have today. Like someone just posted, the band did not expect this to sell like hotcakes.

or 1999 even.

"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

21. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

05.08.15 @ 01:28 AM
    Liked 620 Times in 379 Posts

Will Tokyo Dome Live be the end of goofball David Lee Roth and the return of bad-ass David Lee Roth? We hope so.

Last Online

12.18.17 @ 02:11 AM
    Liked 2,295 Times in 1,176 Posts

Tokyo will have next to zero impact overall

They make 95% of their revenue from concert tickets and merch in 2015

The live record could sell 3000 copies, and only have a maximum 5% reduction in their revenue numbers...

Don't know about other cities, but the Toronto show has sold over $1 Million in tickets in 3 weeks... The $200 ticket price is certainly helping the totals

24. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:38 PM
    Liked 6,983 Times in 5,016 Posts

Premium Member

I think Roth will still be 'in the band' , after this tour is over . The guys are having fun !

I DO hope that Tokyo Dome is the last time we have to hear those horn samples during Al's 'Polka Party' , err , I mean , drum solo ...
    Sorry JD . Listened the other night . More awful than any vocal flub by Dave IMO .
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by noise next door View Post
    Tokyo will have next to zero impact overall

They make 95% of their revenue from concert tickets and merch in 2015

The live record could sell 3000 copies, and only have a maximum 5% reduction in their revenue numbers...

Don't know about other cities, but the Toronto show has sold over $1 Million in tickets in 3 weeks... The $200 ticket price is certainly helping the totals
    Funny you brought that up, here's an example I just read this morning that proves your point.

DEF LEPPARD Doesn't Need To Release New Music To Sell Concert Tickets

DEF LEPPARD guitarist Vivian Campbell spoke to Canada's Calgary Herald about the band's forthcoming studio album, which is expected before the end of the year. Campbell, who has been battling Hodgkin's lymphoma for the last couple of years, said: "I actually believe that this is the best record the band has made during my tenure. I actually didn't have a lot to do with it, so I don't know what that says, that they're better off without me?"

He continued: "It's a very diverse record. We covered all the elements of DEF LEPPARD's career pretty much. It's a great, great record. We're really, really proud of it."

Campbell also acknowledged that DEF LEPPARD does not need to make new albums these days to attract fans to the band's concerts. "But we do it for two reasons, really," he explained. "We do it primarily for ourselves, because it validates who we are and what we do. We have to exercise that creative muscle as a unit as DEF LEPPARD. But we also do it for the hardcore fans that care that actually will buy this record. But we don't anticipate there's a lot of them in this day and age."

He added: "If we didn't put our record out, it wouldn't have any effect whatsoever on our bottom line with regard to touring. We'd still sell just as many concert tickets."

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/def...EMzXHOcwEOt.99

27. The Following 2 Members Like This Post: