Register
Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:10 AM
    Liked 11,785 Times in 6,531 Posts

Premium Member

Default State seizes 11-year-old, arrests his mother after he defends medical Marijuana

Woman Comes Home to Find Cops Surrounding Her House. They Don’t Have a Warrant but They Tell Her Something Outrageous — and It’s Because Her Son Spoke Up in School.

Apr. 18, 2015 3:14pm

Picture this: You pull into your driveway, hop out and find half a dozen police officers and social workers who, without having a warrant, bar you from your own home.

It’s what happened to one woman in Kansas last month.

The ordeal of Shona Banda, an activist who touts the medicinal benefits of marijuana, was first reported by investigative journalist Ben Swann’s website and later picked up by the Washington Post.

On March 24, Banda said, police showed up and blocked her from entering her home on the suspicion that she had drugs in the house.

Where did they get that suspicion?

Banda’s 11-year-old son had argued in favor of marijuana at a school anti-drug presentation, and so the school called the state child protection agency.

Banda captured some of the confrontation on video.

“You are not free to enter the residence,” a police supervisor, who identifies himself as “Sergeant Chase,” tells her.

Banda repeatedly asks whether police have a warrant, and they repeatedly admit they do not — but they stake out her property and refuse to let her enter.

When she asks why officers believe marijuana to be in her home, the sergeant responds, ”Doesn’t matter.”

“You are not allowed in my backyard,” she tells several officers. “It is not public property, you don’t have a warrant!”

Again the sergeant responds, “Doesn’t matter.”

The police several times tell her, “You’re free to leave at any time.”

After three hours of waiting, the police got their warrant and found 2 ounces of cannabis oil in Banda’s home, the Post reported.

According to Banda, the oil is medicinal — she uses it to treat her Crohn’s disease — and the family actually used to live in nearby Colorado, where marijuana is legal.

In Kansas, marijuana possession is strictly outlawed, police confirmed to the Post.

Now Banda could lose her child, and temporary custody has already been granted to her ex, she said, even though no criminal charges have been filed against her, the Post noted.

She’s not completely alone in her fight: A crowd funding campaign in support of Banda had raised nearly $17,000 as of Saturday afternoon.

Banda’s next custody hearing is scheduled for Monday.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015...-up-in-school/

http://benswann.com/exclusive-cops-r...cts-at-school/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/t...-presentation/
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

Total bullshit... Fuck the police state...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:12 AM
    Liked 6,708 Times in 3,727 Posts

anytime i read this sort of thing I wonder how much of the story is being left out.

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

It's in Kansas, she's probably on benefits, and is using cannabis (albeit for medical purposes). In an earlier thread, I seem to recall the vast majority being in favour of the measures described here. Of course, the costs of policing all of these people, prosecuting them, putting their kids in care, and incarcerating / monitoring those found guilty will probably end up far and away exceeding the cost of the benefits they were receiving, but let's not allow common sense to get in the way of a good witch hunt!
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

Thatcher, 1980

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 11:38 PM
    Liked 3,117 Times in 1,828 Posts

Premium Member

So I have read a lot on drugs and the drug war. My fiancee and I just finished Chasing the Scream by Johan Hari, and it gives a lot more detail to many things I already knew, and also had a lot of new information I hadn't found on my own.

At a basic philosophical level, I believe individuals own their own bodies, and liberty means having the freedom to choose what goes into them. Further, liberty means that if two consenting adults want to enter into a contract with each other (one person wants to sell something that the other wants to buy), then that is not the business of the government.

So that is the background for my view on this. The Drug War might be the single most harmful public policy in the United States. Banda's possession here is a misdemeanor in Kansas punishable by up to a year in jail. However, if she is caught again with marijuana, it's a felony punishable by 10 months to 3.5 years in prison.

But possession of the cannabis oil--if it is shown she extracted it herself--could be considered manufacturing of a controlled substance, which is a level 1 felony in Kansas and carries a sentence of up to 17 years.

A woman who is using a drug to deal with a disease may go to jail for a long time because her son had the balls to stand up to the misinformation the state indoctrinates into students at a young age. Worse, a 75-minute drive west and this wouldn't be an issue. As Radly Balko at WaPo points out, even if this kid is eventually returned to his mother, the state will have done more damage to him than his mother's treatment of Crohn's ever would.

And that may not even be the worst thing that happened. Before the police got their warrant, they wouldn't let her enter her own house. She was "free to leave," but not free to enter their own property despite police "not" detaining her nor yet having a warrant. I mean, holy shit, that's constitution 101 there.

Anyway, we need more people standing up to the misinformation we get from the government on drugs. Marijuana and heroin are federally classified as schedule 1 narcotics. All three terms for making these two drugs schedule 1 are patently false.

8. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:10 AM
    Liked 11,785 Times in 6,531 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    So I have read a lot on drugs and the drug war. My fiancee and I just finished Chasing the Scream by Johan Hari, and it gives a lot more detail to many things I already knew, and also had a lot of new information I hadn't found on my own.

At a basic philosophical level, I believe individuals own their own bodies, and liberty means having the freedom to choose what goes into them. Further, liberty means that if two consenting adults want to enter into a contract with each other (one person wants to sell something that the other wants to buy), then that is not the business of the government.

So that is the background for my view on this. The Drug War might be the single most harmful public policy in the United States. Banda's possession here is a misdemeanor in Kansas punishable by up to a year in jail. However, if she is caught again with marijuana, it's a felony punishable by 10 months to 3.5 years in prison.

But possession of the cannabis oil--if it is shown she extracted it herself--could be considered manufacturing of a controlled substance, which is a level 1 felony in Kansas and carries a sentence of up to 17 years.

A woman who is using a drug to deal with a disease may go to jail for a long time because her son had the balls to stand up to the misinformation the state indoctrinates into students at a young age. Worse, a 75-minute drive west and this wouldn't be an issue. As Radly Balko at WaPo points out, even if this kid is eventually returned to his mother, the state will have done more damage to him than his mother's treatment of Crohn's ever would.

And that may not even be the worst thing that happened. Before the police got their warrant, they wouldn't let her enter her own house. She was "free to leave," but not free to enter their own property despite police "not" detaining her nor yet having a warrant. I mean, holy shit, that's constitution 101 there.

Anyway, we need more people standing up to the misinformation we get from the government on drugs. Marijuana and heroin are federally classified as schedule 1 narcotics. All three terms for making these two drugs schedule 1 are patently false.
    BINGO
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

I absolutely agree that cannabis / marijuana should be available on prescription to those suffering with various painful, diseases. I think it's available as a nasal spray to those with MS here in the UK - but not to anyone else - which makes ZERO sense.

I watched a documentary recently where medical researchers and doctors were saying that the evidence of its efficacy for certain conditions is beyond compelling, but that government (both here in the UK and elsewhere) simply won't countenance its being more widely accessible (even under the strict supervision that comes with prescription drugs). I can only assume that this is because a) they're labouring under the misapprehension that medical marijuana will somehow inevitably end up on the street, and / or that legitimate users will become serious druggies wanting crack / meth. and anything else on which they can lay their hands, and b) they're in the pockets of Big Pharma. who want to keep this commonplace substance out of the reach of law-abiding people in case it eats into their multi-billion dollar profits.

Whatever the scenario, as far as medical usage is concerned, the current restrictions are ridiculous, beyond stupid, and totally inhumane.

Thatcher, 1980

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:29 PM
    Liked 1,961 Times in 984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dibblekins View Post
    I absolutely agree that cannabis / marijuana should be available on prescription to those suffering with various painful, diseases. I think it's available as a nasal spray to those with MS here in the UK - but not to anyone else - which makes ZERO sense.

I watched a documentary recently where medical researchers and doctors were saying that the evidence of its efficacy for certain conditions is beyond compelling, but that government (both here in the UK and elsewhere) simply won't countenance its being more widely accessible (even under the strict supervision that comes with prescription drugs). I can only assume that this is because a) they're labouring under the misapprehension that medical marijuana will somehow inevitably end up on the street, and / or that legitimate users will become serious druggies wanting crack / meth. and anything else on which they can lay their hands, and b) they're in the pockets of Big Pharma. who want to keep this commonplace substance out of the reach of law-abiding people in case it eats into their multi-billion dollar profits.

Whatever the scenario, as far as medical usage is concerned, the current restrictions are ridiculous, beyond stupid, and totally inhumane.
    I'd say that you are right on target with the Big Pharma reasoning. I believe the big tobacco companies are already dabbling in medical pot growth, and once Big Pharma has a squeeze on how to make money from it and cut out the little guy we will see it rapidly become legal in more places.

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:04 AM
    Liked 1,035 Times in 506 Posts

So the kid gives a presentation on pot and the teacher narcs to child protective services and next thing you know, they take your kids and you’re in jail? The public schools (also government) are just another conduit for this overreaching power.

There are stories out there where some unsupported rumor from some unknown source suggested that there could potentially be a child welfare issue in your home being sufficient evidence for the CPS to remove children. It’s really scary.
    "...it's steak and whiskey time in America." - bklynboy68

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 11:38 PM
    Liked 3,117 Times in 1,828 Posts

Premium Member

Default State seizes 11-year-old, arrests his mother after he defends medical Marijuana

I think it was more simple. He raised his hands to refute what they were being taught about drugs at school.

Teachers are compelled to report. If you have suspicion that illicit drugs are present in a home, you're compelled to call authorities.

I'd argue knowledge about drugs isn't reasonable suspicion of their presence, but I could see how others might think so.

So I don't think it's a stretch to think this is the story. I could be wrong, but Kansas is pretty serious about drugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 04.20.15 at 04:29 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:12 AM
    Liked 7,891 Times in 4,615 Posts

Premium Member

Fuck the police.

Fuck the government.

And fuck our drug laws...

16. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Fuck the police.

Fuck the government.

Didn't know you were part of NWA.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Fuck the police.

Fuck the government.

Didn't know you were part of NWA.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,353 Times in 3,193 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by dibblekins View Post
    It's in Kansas, she's probably on benefits, and is using cannabis (albeit for medical purposes). In an earlier thread, I seem to recall the vast majority being in favour of the measures described here. Of course, the costs of policing all of these people, prosecuting them, putting their kids in care, and incarcerating / monitoring those found guilty will probably end up far and away exceeding the cost of the benefits they were receiving, but let's not allow common sense to get in the way of a good witch hunt!
    I don't know dibs. A good 2 ounces of hash oil can go along way monetarily. May cover the whole infraction.