Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    On Fire ejmaes67's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.18.02
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    353
    Favorite VH Album

    All of 'em
    Favorite VH Song

    All except "How Many Say I"
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 04:34 AM
    Likes
    589
    Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts

    Default Peavey Wolfgang headstock curiosity

    This may sound stupid, but ever since Ed went from Peavey to Fender with the Wolfgang design, I've always wondered about the new headstock having that tip part cut out. Not that I'm going to do it or want to, but what if you routed out the Peavey headstock to look more like the new model? Has anyone ever tried it and if so, did it change the sound of the guitar at all?
    “Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy.” - Benjamin Franklin

  2. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  3. #2
    On Fire ejmaes67's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.18.02
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    353
    Favorite VH Album

    All of 'em
    Favorite VH Song

    All except "How Many Say I"
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 04:34 AM
    Likes
    589
    Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts

    Default

    By the power of photoshop
    “Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy.” - Benjamin Franklin

  4. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  5. #3
    Romeo Delight BenB5152's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.25.04
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    47
    Favorite VH Album

    All
    Favorite VH Song

    All
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Likes
    103
    Liked 57 Times in 28 Posts

    Default

    That's how the patent was drawn up when he started working with Peavey.



    I wonder why they built them with the scoop instead of the cutout. I prefer the scoop especially on Ed's prototype guitars where the scoop matched the body color. I suppose they made it a natural color to speed up the manufacturing of the guitar without worrying about it matching color of the body.

    Ben

  6. #4
    Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.29.03
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,977
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 06:04 AM
    Likes
    2,615
    Liked 2,861 Times in 1,072 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    Jim DeCola actually designed the Wolfgang body shape and that headstock. The original intent was always to have the scoop, but Ed and Hartley Peavey couldn't come to an agreement over the owner of the headstock patent. So their compromise was to give Ed the scoop-less headstock patent, which Hartley and Jim thought would never work, while Peavey retained the scooped headstock patent.

  7. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  8. #5
    Atomic Punk RRvh1's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.11
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ari-o!
    Posts
    16,430
    Favorite VH Album

    VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

    A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 06:04 AM
    Likes
    6,139
    Liked 6,982 Times in 5,015 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    I always liked the Peavey headstock better . The 'devil horns' cutout is a factor in why I haven't picked up a newer EVH guitar ... yet
    There's a big part of me that ;

    1- hates the look , and
    2- wonders how stable that is ?

    Seems very flimsy and breakable , much like the tip of those older pointy Charvel headstocks . It's a common issue for them to be missing a piece up there .
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

  9. #6
    Top Of The World
    Join Date
    03.17.06
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    155
    Last Online

    02.17.16 @ 10:54 PM
    Likes
    1
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    I always liked the Peavey headstock better . The 'devil horns' cutout is a factor in why I haven't picked up a newer EVH guitar ... yet
    There's a big part of me that ;

    1- hates the look , and
    2- wonders how stable that is ?

    Seems very flimsy and breakable , much like the tip of those older pointy Charvel headstocks . It's a common issue for them to be missing a piece up there .


    same here, Always thought the headstock on the "new" evh wolfgang was very ugly. If it had the Peavey shape headstock the guitar would sell more.

  10. #7
    Top Of The World
    Join Date
    03.17.06
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    155
    Last Online

    02.17.16 @ 10:54 PM
    Likes
    1
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    Jim DeCola actually designed the Wolfgang body shape and that headstock. The original intent was always to have the scoop, but Ed and Hartley Peavey couldn't come to an agreement over the owner of the headstock patent. So their compromise was to give Ed the scoop-less headstock patent, which Hartley and Jim thought would never work, while Peavey retained the scooped headstock patent.

    what's the point of having a patent on the old wolfgang headstock when you can't use it?
    Last edited by leonardo; 04.18.15 at 03:18 AM.

  11. #8
    Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.29.03
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,977
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 06:04 AM
    Likes
    2,615
    Liked 2,861 Times in 1,072 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    I suppose they could use it, but are choosing not to?

  12. #9
    Eruption donkost's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.28.08
    Age
    54
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    1,350
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 12:31 AM
    Likes
    174
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leonardo View Post
    same here, Always thought the headstock on the "new" evh wolfgang was very ugly. If it had the Peavey shape headstock the guitar would sell more.
    My thoughts as well, I always thought the new one looked like a giant two-pronged cocktail fork. I have a '98 Peavey Wolfgang Special that I'm perfectly happy with. But if I was in the market for a new Wolfgang I wouldn't let the headstock design stop me from purchasing one, if I found one that had the mojo otherwise.

  13. #10
    Top Of The World
    Join Date
    03.17.06
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    155
    Last Online

    02.17.16 @ 10:54 PM
    Likes
    1
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    I suppose they could use it, but are choosing not to?
    I guess so, but since Eddie left Peavey they haven't been done anything interesting guitarwise.
    Not sure really what Peavey been up to lately

  14. #11
    Romeo Delight
    Join Date
    02.21.12
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    77
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Dirty Movies
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 07:02 AM
    Likes
    1
    Liked 38 Times in 14 Posts

    Default

    Peavey has all but thrown in the towel on decent USA made products (guitars and electronics)

  15. #12
    Good Enough nobozos's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.16.00
    Location
    Pekin, Il U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,750
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 05:58 AM
    Likes
    23
    Liked 734 Times in 347 Posts

    Default

    Let me start by saying the Peavey Wolfgang was a great guitar. That being said, I always thought Ed's decision to go with Peavey for his signature model was a strange choice. They were not known for their guitar production, and it seemed like a step down from EBMM at the time. To their credit, they did an outstanding job with the guitar, but I think most of that was due to Ed's demanding specifications. I thought a move to Fender or Gibson would have made more sense. I think at the time he made the move though, Fender and Gibson were more focused on the traditional players, and saw EVH as non-traditional. They would have wanted him to have a Strat model rather than creating a whole different signature guitar for him. Probably too risky for them at the time. They were busy with models like the SRV, the Blackie, and Hendrix models that were wrist ions of their flagship Strat model.

    Anyway, Peavey only ever had one guitar worth buying, and that was the USA Wolfgang. They could have used it as a springboard to ramp up production of affordably priced USA models, but they chose to make the HP line at about the same price point as Wolfgang, which tanked.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

  16. #13
    5150 GilmourD's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.01.12
    Posts
    587
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 04:02 PM
    Likes
    161
    Liked 124 Times in 84 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    Let me start by saying the Peavey Wolfgang was a great guitar. That being said, I always thought Ed's decision to go with Peavey for his signature model was a strange choice. They were not known for their guitar production, and it seemed like a step down from EBMM at the time. To their credit, they did an outstanding job with the guitar, but I think most of that was due to Ed's demanding specifications. I thought a move to Fender or Gibson would have made more sense. I think at the time he made the move though, Fender and Gibson were more focused on the traditional players, and saw EVH as non-traditional. They would have wanted him to have a Strat model rather than creating a whole different signature guitar for him. Probably too risky for them at the time. They were busy with models like the SRV, the Blackie, and Hendrix models that were wrist ions of their flagship Strat model.

    Anyway, Peavey only ever had one guitar worth buying, and that was the USA Wolfgang. They could have used it as a springboard to ramp up production of affordably priced USA models, but they chose to make the HP line at about the same price point as Wolfgang, which tanked.
    Adrian Vanderberg had a Peavey signature model, too, didn't he? Steve Cropper had a signature model Peavey for a long time, too.

    Also, there are TONS of fans of the T series guitars Peavey put out in the '70s and '80s.

  17. #14
    Good Enough nobozos's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.16.00
    Location
    Pekin, Il U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,750
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 05:58 AM
    Likes
    23
    Liked 734 Times in 347 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GilmourD View Post
    Adrian Vanderberg had a Peavey signature model, too, didn't he? Steve Cropper had a signature model Peavey for a long time, too.

    Also, there are TONS of fans of the T series guitars Peavey put out in the '70s and '80s.
    Sure, they made guitars and you are right, they had those signature models. I'm not sure how many people could have told you who A.V. or S.C. were though. Yeah, us guitar guys know, but in general, most people didn't. As far as the T series, I'm sorry but those things were just fugly. I thought the Destiny was actually a great guitar, and should have got more recognition than it did. My point wasn't really to beat down Peavey, but to say that it just didn't make sense to me that EVH would have went to them to make his signature guitar. I thought it made more sense for him to go with a company whose name was synonymous with electric guitars. Peavey was just an unexpected choice, and I think there hasn't really been another Peavey guitar with the quality or popularity of the Wolfgang since Ed left.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

  18. #15
    Atomic Punk fast98dodge's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.24.04
    Age
    43
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    8,212
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen II
    Last Online

    08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Likes
    331
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    I owned a Peavey Vandenberg... Great guitar...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. EVH Wolfgang neck Peavey Wolfgang body
    By ScottyBHarris in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02.07.15, 09:59 AM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06.08.12, 06:48 AM
  3. Wolfgang Headstock Question
    By stephenjay21 in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05.03.11, 11:26 AM
  4. Peavey or EVh Headstock
    By stephenjay21 in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07.17.10, 01:31 AM
  5. wolfgang's......why the notch in the headstock?
    By Mark Van Halen in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07.23.00, 09:31 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •