Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 81 vs now

Last Online

05.23.17 @ 11:53 AM
    Liked 137 Times in 67 Posts

Default 81 vs now

We don't really need another thread on comparison's but the tape is out there if you listen to it. Hear about it later is a really good comparison because Dave has really struggled with this one. I'll critique it though. Dave is yelling more now. Has to strain his voice in bigger arenas. He always sounded like he had a cold and needed a throat lozenge. I think it sounds just as good. Better in ways. I wonder how often back then Dave had an off night. It m ore bothers me that he just talks through or screams a lot of lyrics in some shows now. He doesn't even sing. Other times he does though and he sounds fine. I think they sound great overall.

They are nearly identical versions imo. Dave is younger still has that Californian drawl.. One of my favorite songs too. Sounds great both times. That IIIs Eddie has now is ungodly. I can't get over that. It captures the original brown sound perfectly from fair warning and sounds better imo. How Eddie did that is unreal.
    Last edited by JudgementDay; 04.13.15 at 02:43 PM.

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:52 PM
    Liked 734 Times in 347 Posts

Now, I know that Dave is not the singer he used to be, but I have to wonder how much of the bad vocals we are hearing is due to the absence of Michael Anthony. It seems to me like a lot of the times he is really off is during harmonies. It seems like he's trying to compensate for the MA harmony. I think that without MA there, it really throws him off and he tries to sing in higher register to compensate. Any thoughts on that theory?
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

3. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

I'll Wait is perfect

I think wolfie is really good. I like his harmonies and his bass playing is fantastic. it's about as close to MA as I could imagine without him being there. Listen to some of the older stuff on Tokyo and really compare it. Wolfie is really good. I think Dave just can't effortlessly raise the pitch of his voice like he used to. He has to strain his voice sometimes and completely loses it other times. Most shows he's just talking and can't sing because his voice goes. Other times it's as good as ever.

You can hear wolfie on and the cradle will rock. His voice is different. He sounds great imo though. I am probably in the minority but I don't miss MA at all. Also think Tokyo Dome is as good as anything they've ever done live.

If I compare this to 81 I really have to nitpick.... It sounds as good as ever and better in ways. Fair Warning and Eddie's guitar tone and playing was really at it's best at that time imo too. Van Halen is alive and well!! They just can't do it every night because they are old. I listen to this stuff and it fires me up. I don't think I'm missing much.
    Last edited by JudgementDay; 04.13.15 at 03:06 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 11,593 Times in 4,941 Posts

Default 81 vs now

Californian drawl? Wtf is that?

And Wolfgang sings nowhere remotely close to Mike. It's totally different in every way. If you dig it that's fine, but it does not sound like VH to me. Sorry. Oh I guess I better preface that by saying I like Wolf or be labeled a hater.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Kev

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I don't know lol. I'm from Massachusetts. He still sounds like he is living on the beach in California at that time lol. He lost that as he got older. Dave's personality is still there though if you listen. He's great.

He sounds like Spicoli. That is southern California drawl?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 11,593 Times in 4,941 Posts

Dude we don't have accents here. Haha. Californians have pretty bland speech patterns.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.10.17 @ 06:55 PM
    Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts

Is it just me? The '81 videos have always sounded over-dubbed. DLR's voice doesn't quite sync in many places on the songs. Don't get me wrong, I love it and would kill for a DVD release but it's not "live". Is it?

11. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Back to ADKT - Cuz it is new
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.30.17 @ 05:08 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts

Brett, you hater you
    It is what it is

I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said

I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

13. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

Drawl-a slow, lazy way of speaking or an accent with unusually prolonged vowel sounds. Haha. Southern Californians don't talk like that anymore?

What's weird is Dave actually tries to sound like Sinatra at times now. I know that's his hero and everything.
    Last edited by JudgementDay; 04.13.15 at 03:21 PM.

Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies & Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:54 AM
    Liked 5,127 Times in 2,425 Posts

81 v 2013 sounds the same? Are you being funny ;-)

Both are cool. I prefer 81
    Last edited by thismusicsux; 04.13.15 at 03:42 PM.

16. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

The tape is right there. I don't see how there is a huge difference. They are both rockin. They sound great in 13 or whenever that was done. Sounds like both are professionally recorded live shows with some filter put over them or whatever. They sound like they are done the same way to me. Dave is yelling a bit more. I like Tokyo and the energy. For 60 year olds I can't complain.

18. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

I think Eddie said they have a recorder that records during their shows. You cant really compare youtube because it's plugged directly in vs some person with a cell phone. They sound the same. Eddie said they've always done that so wouldn't surprise me if both shows were recorded the same way.

Last Online

09.14.17 @ 06:01 PM
    Liked 41 Times in 21 Posts

I just wish Dave would stay on the original Melodies. He seems to stray so much from the original it sounds wrong. When he stays near the original melody in his lower register it can sound very good. I still don't understand why they don't put a midi button in a stomp box or on his mic thru which can select through a bunch of his original recorded "high note" screams. When he needed them he would just hit the button - it would sound great and get him out of the sticky parts like he used to do all the time. It is no different than Ed using an effect on his guitar or a pre recorded key board track on Jump or I'll Wait. Dave really needs someone to kick his ass and tell him to stay on the original Melody and a stomp box or button on his mic for the "high notes". I also vote to ask Michael Anthony back for the original harmonies they are sorely missed. Although I do have to admit Wolfie has some cool modern bass riffs that I like that add interest to some parts of the songs - I would like to hear his solo album after Mikey returns to VH!

Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

07.25.17 @ 10:53 PM
    Liked 314 Times in 157 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post

And Wolfgang sings nowhere remotely close to Mike. It's totally different in every way. If you dig it that's fine, but it does not sound like VH to me. Sorry. Oh I guess I better preface that by saying I like Wolf or be labeled a hater.
    I know right? Lol

Californian drawl

Silliest damn thing I ever heard

You can repeat that part about young Padi-Wan not sounding like the late great Mike too. Anytime you want, and you'll be RIGHT brother!

Last Online

Girl Gone Bad 2012

Some good audio here too. THe more I listen the more happy I am with the band in general. It's a different day and age where every show is on youtube and VH probably just has more down moments now. But they still sound really great too.

23. The Following 2 Members Like This Post: