Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,106 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Default Les Paul Pickups

I have a 1976 all original LP and an all original 1996 LP---both are black with gold hardware. As a kid, I was a big fan of LPs but I no longer play them. These guitars reside in their cases, locked away. About three years ago I picked up a 2006 Epiphone LP, again black with gold hardware. This Epi needs the pickgaurd replaced and I despise the sound of the cheap humbuckers. Its been 25 years since I remotely cared about playing LPs. Sometimes I buy them just because it's a good deal.
    Any advise on a good set of pickups to put in the Epi would be nice.
    Kinda wanting the Jimmy Page sound !!!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 09:46 PM
    Liked 151 Times in 86 Posts

If you want to stay with Gibson, '57 Classics are probably the best bet. I had a set in my Les Paul Traditional and liked their sound. For aftermarket, I had Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAFs and they were great as well.....another low cost option is GFS pickups....They have a few PAF variants that sound good for cheap. Best of luck with whatever you choose!
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:21 AM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

Have you looked into those signature Slash pickups ?
    He's known to have a 'pretty good' tone .

Dimarzio PAF Pro has worked for me in the past . What about a set of Duncan '59's ?
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:34 AM
    Liked 11,541 Times in 4,916 Posts

I put an EVH Wolfgang zebra in the bridge of mine and a Guitar Fetish VEH in the neck. I was really surprised at how good they both sounded. I basically just threw that idea together.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 09:46 PM
    Liked 151 Times in 86 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I put an EVH Wolfgang zebra in the bridge of mine and a Guitar Fetish VEH in the neck. I was really surprised at how good they both sounded. I basically just threw that idea together.
    I tried out a set of VEH's in my Peavey Wolfgang.....sound great!!!!
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:22 AM
    Liked 2,850 Times in 1,065 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I have VEHs in a mahogany bodied Jazzmaster...and they sound awesome. I wouldn't have minded if the neck pickup was a tad brighter, but I'm not complaining. Especially not for the price.

RRvh1 mentioned the Slash pickups: my buddy has a pair of those in his PRS and they are FIRE. Sound really really good!

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

They're not cheap, but the Bareknuckle Black Dog pups are inspired by Jimmy Page's tone. I believe Tim Mills at BKP has actually worked on Page's guitars, so he's working from the source.

Having said that, black with gold hardware suggests Les Paul Custom, which I think - correct me if I'm wrong - is all mahogany, rather mahogany with a maple cap. I used to really dislike LPs because the only ones I ever got to play were 70s Customs. A different animal altogether from what Page et al played. It wasn't until I tried a Standard that I saw the light.

Oh, and I can second the '57 Classic rec above if you like the smoother, warmer LP tone. I think the Burstbucker is the more airy, edgy option.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:38 AM
    Liked 612 Times in 387 Posts

While Eddie Van Halen generally had tones that were similar over the course of one album, Jimmy Page's tones are even more difficult to nail down since Jimmy had completely different tones from one song to the next...

"The" Jimmy Page sound doesn't really exist...consider that every song on every record and every live tour had a completely different tone when he was using the #1 Les Paul. You will have better luck in finding what you want if you pick one song on one of the albums that has a Les Paul sound that you like. Even better would be to pick a Les Paul sound from a live tour that you like and set about to try and achieve that sound.

Once you've done that, you will have to try several pickups to see what gets you closest to the sound that you are looking for with the particular amp that you are using.

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 08:19 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    Have you looked into those signature Slash pickups ?
    He's known to have a 'pretty good' tone .

Dimarzio PAF Pro has worked for me in the past . What about a set of Duncan '59's ?
    Wow, talk about 3 completely sonically different pickups!

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:21 AM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

Agreed .
    Page has a LOT of tonal variety in his palette . Many of those songs and sounds are pretty diverse . Even EVH commented that , if given the chance , he'd like to pick Jimmy's brain about how he got certain sounds in the studio .
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

I'm thinking something close to Jimmy's Knebworth LP tone. Believe me, I know how different his tones are song for song. I was a major Zep head way back in a different life. This particular LP is an Epi custom black w/cream binding and gold hardware. Other than the overall tone, I wanna be able to put the original gold covers back on the pickups.
    Again, its been over 25 years since I remotely got into the LPs. So it'll be a bit of a relearning experience when it comes to the electronics and wiring.
    Thanks for the input fellow Linkers. Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.
    I'll probably go with the '57s first or the Slash ones.
    Last edited by evhintexas; 04.12.15 at 05:34 PM.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

My junky iPhone can be a real pain when it comes to serious researching specific issues back and forth.
    Does anyone know if I can put the original gold covers over the Slash pickups ???

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by evhintexas View Post
    I'm thinking something close to Jimmy's Knebworth LP tone. Believe me, I know how different his tones are song for song. I was a major Zep head way back in a different life. This particular LP is an Epi custom black w/cream binding and gold hardware. Other than the overall tone, I wanna be able to put the original gold covers back on the pickups.
    Again, its been over 25 years since I remotely got into the LPs. So it'll be a bit of a relearning experience when it comes to the electronics and wiring.
    Thanks for the input fellow Linkers. Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.
    I'll probably go with the '57s first or the Slash ones.
    The key to getting a particular tone is to try different pickups with your guitar and your amp. Any recommendations otherwise about pickups won't really help unless the person giving the suggestion has achieved the tone you are going after with your identical guitar and your identical amp.

That said, the '57 Classics are excellent P.A.F. style pickups and a great first choice as you go on the journey to the sound you are trying to achieve.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

I hear ya. Its like starting all over again. I keep the other LPs locked away. But love the sound of em. Maybe I should find out what the stock pups are in my other LPs.
    I'm not really chasing the Knebworth tone 100%. Its just a base reference so to speak.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by evhintexas View Post
    I hear ya. Its like starting all over again. I keep the other LPs locked away. But love the sound of em. Maybe I should find out what the stock pups are in my other LPs.
    The 1976 may have had T-Tops possibly...the 1996 Les Paul almost certainly had '57 Classics.