Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

01.07.16 @ 05:41 PM
    Liked 66 Times in 29 Posts

Default Just played one of the new Archtop specials...

So was at my local GC and my friend who works there informed me they had one of the new specials and I should check it out.
    He went and grabbed it and at first glance it looked nice. As soon as he put it in my hands though you could immediately start to see the differences between the mexican made and US made.
    1.) The top... looks nice from a few feet but as you get closer it almost looks like a photo flame. There was NO 3d deep flame on this one. Don't get me wrong it was flame but it didn't have that nice 3d effect where the flames move around when you turn it in the light. It was just straight on flame. Not a big issue as it looks nice straight on.
    2.) The neck had a flat spot on the back from the 5th to 12th fret, more of the typical qc issues? Didn't feel right at all. Sloppy cut nut shelf too that required what looked like 2 shims.
    Side note: the ebmm's and the Peaveys cut the board off the neck blank and rematched them so they were seamless. Why can't EVH brand get this right?! I understand on the US model with maple boards because they used birdseye boards and rock maple necks. However these mexican models are just rock maple, shouldn't be hard to make the neck seamless. The board on this one was real dark with the back of the neck being a lot lighter.
    The frets were ok though, I do prefer the stainless vintage size on my US stealth though
    3.) The damn switch was opposite to the way Ed does them! This was rather confusing to me. I played for almost a minute, with the switch up, wondering why it sounded so bassy lol. Looked, thought for a second, and put the switch down and there was that nice bridge cut. So used to me Wolfgangs being the Ed way I wonder why they did this.

Sound wise it was good. I don't know if they're using different pups(haven't done much internet surfing for these yet) but it didn't have quite the low end of my stealth in the bridge position. The neck sounded like ass, nothing like my stealth. Setup was good out of the box though.

For $1100 they don't come with a case and are mexican made...You can get a used Peavey Wolfgang deluxe for that in mint condition if you look and its a way better guitar. However, if you can work a deal on one of these it might not be that bad, I just wasn't too impressed at first glance.(I did play it for only an hour)
    All in all, if you can save a bit longer and either buy a used Peavey deluxe or the USA made EVH Wolfgang you're getting a better quality/sounding guitar.

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

09.10.17 @ 04:50 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts

Will the stealth special soon start coming out with Archtops? or no they will stay flat as they are now?

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:12 PM
    Liked 2,855 Times in 1,068 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by SDZ View Post
    Will the stealth special soon start coming out with Archtops? or no they will stay flat as they are now?
    The new Stealth Specials are arch tops. Some GCs had them in stock recently per the GC site.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

I'm glad you guys know what I meant when I typed archtop lol, should have said carved top. I don't know where my mind was lol.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

09.10.17 @ 04:50 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lessthanone View Post
    I'm glad you guys know what I meant when I typed archtop lol, should have said carved top. I don't know where my mind was lol.
    Do you overall not like the special? is USA that much better?

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by SDZ View Post
    Do you overall not like the special? is USA that much better?
    Nope, I personally didn't like the special and the USA is a much better guitar. At the price point for the new specials the Peavey is also a better guitar.

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:30 AM
    Liked 124 Times in 84 Posts

Which GC is this at? I need to go play one.

One thing I learned... GC's lighting makes flame tops look like ass. I personally bought an Epi Les Paul with a veneer top (just like the EVH Specials) back in '98. It looked alright. I got it home and suddenly the top looked gorgeous. It didn't look like a real '59 LP, but it looked a hundred times better than it did at GC. The guitar looked better everywhere else I brought it, too.

One thing I also learned from working at GC for a while... GC can screw up a setup like nobody's business. They have guitars on the wall that I know were set up well from the factory that have switches backwards, bridges raised up ridiculously, not tuned at all, and otherwise abused...

Never judge a guitar based on how it is set up on the wall at GC. You'll hate that guitar forever.

9. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:30 AM
    Liked 124 Times in 84 Posts

So, I just played a black cherry burst special at the NYC Union Square Guitar Center.

Now, I've been overall impressed with the Standards.

I liked the neck on this Special a lot more. It felt a little thicker compared to the four Standards that were on the rack near it.

Now, that's a personal preference thing. I feel like the Standards may have been spec'd to be thinner for some reason.

However, overall, the Special was really nice. If I had a grand to spend freely I'd probably be bringing it home. LOL

Sent from my Moto X 2014 using Tapatalk

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:56 PM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

Haven't played one yet, but they sound pretty cool.
    I was looking at two of the Wolfgang Standards today on a few websites. The trans black and red models. My local store doesn't have them in stock yet...
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:12 PM
    Liked 2,855 Times in 1,068 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I just played a standard for the first time 45 minutes ago. The neck did indeed seem a bit thinner than my Special. Action was nice and low, but the trem was floating.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:56 PM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    I just played a standard for the first time 45 minutes ago. The neck did indeed seem a bit thinner than my Special. Action was nice and low, but the trem was floating.
    That's interesting, because some of the photos I've seen online (Sweetwater etc.) made it look like the trems were floating.
    I know it should be an easy fix, but wonder how that will affect the angle of the bridge against the body? Had the same issue with my Kramer Pacer Classic and the bridge had quite a backward angle, in order to be sitting flush with the body. Action was fine though.

I wonder if it would be the same thing with the EVH guitars? Also, having too much back angle sometimes makes installing and using a D-tuna a hassle...
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cant pick 1!
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 96 Times in 77 Posts

[QUOTE=GilmourD;1798664] I feel like the Standards may have been spec'd to be thinner for some reason.

/QUOTE]

I'm guessing they are aiming for the younger crowd with the price point and all. Fender seems to do this a lot.