Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

Donor

Default Tokyo Dome - Let's talk about the music

Hey mods, I didn't see a thread specifically talking about the music...There's plenty of talk about Dave's voice, the idea of a live album, and the production, but I wanted to start this thread just to talk about the music.

The biggest surprise of the album for me is "I'll Wait". I have never really cared for this song, but I find myself playing it over and over. I love Eddie's guitar over the whole thing. It's heavy and free-style, and I just think the whole thing sounds good.
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies & Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 5,127 Times in 2,425 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by extreme red roth View Post
    Hey mods, I didn't see a thread specifically talking about the music...There's plenty of talk about Dave's voice, the idea of a live album, and the production, but I wanted to start this thread just to talk about the music.

The biggest surprise of the album for me is "I'll Wait". I have never really cared for this song, but I find myself playing it over and over. I love Eddie's guitar over the whole thing. It's heavy and free-style, and I just think the whole thing sounds good.
    agreed, I'll Wait has a cool new vibe to it. I do wish DLR would've got the lyrics more correct on this one in particular....but whateva

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:26 PM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

I'm very excited over the recent way that I'll Wait is getting played live . Ed's guitar accents during the intro , and counter melodies during the verses , make the song really come to life .

Having said that , I was a bit disappointed by the Tokyo version . Not that it doesn't kick ass - it does - but I've heard cleaner versions of it .

The record as a whole is a home run in my book . So happy that we got this release !!!
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

P.S. ... GREAT idea for a thread !!!

I'll be back on here quite a bit
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:49 PM
    Liked 1,961 Times in 984 Posts

Agreed, "I'll Wait" is one of the highlights for me. It is one of the few examples where I like the live version possibly better than the studio version.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

Donor

So do you play the 1st or 2nd CD more? I find myself on the second CD more right now.

By the time Hot For Teacher is over, it just brings this smile to my face. I think Dave even says on the CD something along of the lines of "where do you go after that?"

The answer of course is Women in Love, which I think is one of Dave's better vocal performances, and a personal favorite, but probably not the best place for the song.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 866 Times in 508 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I like what they did with the atmosphere, I guess you'd call it, with Everybody Wants Some. Take away the vocals and you've got as dark, mean-sounding tune as they've ever done. Even with the vocals, especially Dave's "everything is so slow" thing, it's still dark.. I went back and listened to the studio version, and it's almost a different song to my ears. Two spectacular songs.

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 02:16 PM
    Liked 1,461 Times in 897 Posts

I'll Wait is unbelievable!! Definitely one of the highlights on the album.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

I've been playing disc 1 the most so far , because of the opening , SGMAD , HAIL , Tattoo , etc .
    The 2nd disc has certainly been played , but not yet memorized by me .

Next week is a holiday from work - Tokyo 2012 will be getting played A LOT

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs maybe
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:53 PM
    Liked 173 Times in 104 Posts

I got the vinyl box for $60 -- Newbury Comics had it for $84.99, but I took advantage of their 30% off sale.

I don't know what people expect from this record. I kind of hoped for a studio record, of course, but outside of that, what's the big deal?? David Lee Roth obviously thinks it's better to be spontaneous every night and change the melody and phrasing everywhere possible. He's not alone in that regard. Plenty of vocalists do this. Why he sings all these high notes is still kind of a mystery to me ... THAT'S the weird part. I'm guessing he likes it that way too.

But ultimately, after listening to half of it, I'm kind of like ... this does not warrant the endless debates that I've been reading all month on here!! It's just a live album. As I listen to it, I'm kind of realizing that because of Dave's approach, it makes perfect sense to just release a show as it is. Imagine the nightmare of trying to make choices about what to change or correct!
    Kevin

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Man View Post
    I got the vinyl box for $60 -- Newbury Comics had it for $84.99, but I took advantage of their 30% off sale.

I don't know what people expect from this record. I kind of hoped for a studio record, of course, but outside of that, what's the big deal?? David Lee Roth obviously thinks it's better to be spontaneous every night and change the melody and phrasing everywhere possible. He's not alone in that regard. Plenty of vocalists do this. Why he sings all these high notes is still kind of a mystery to me ... THAT'S the weird part. I'm guessing he likes it that way too.

But ultimately, after listening to half of it, I'm kind of like ... this does not warrant the endless debates that I've been reading all month on here!! It's just a live album. As I listen to it, I'm kind of realizing that because of Dave's approach, it makes perfect sense to just release a show as it is. Imagine the nightmare of trying to make choices about what to change or correct!
    Hey Pizza man, there is a 200 some odd page thread talking about the positives and negatives of the release...we were sticking to music on this one...

But I'm not being a thread cop...just wondering what your favorite tunes on the album are? This morning I was really getting into Tattoo live. It comes across well as a live tune.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs maybe
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:53 PM
    Liked 173 Times in 104 Posts

I just didn't want to add to that thread, it's just mayhem in there.

I thought I was commenting on the music? My intent was to mainly address DLR's 'controversial' vocals, which are absolutely a musical element to the release (did you mean the instruments specifically and not the vocals? I just thought this was a new thread to stay on topic about the record in general, maybe that's the problem ... ), as well as giving my honest take on hearing it for the first time. Not sure what the issue is ... I'm sure it's not that I mentioned the price I paid for it - gotta be that I brought up the vox? .... anyway.

I dug She's The Woman, off the top of my head. Also enjoyed Hear About It Later until Dave starts really abandoning the script near the end.
    Kevin

Eruption
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:55 PM
    Liked 1,849 Times in 809 Posts

I love both discs, they do a great job of warming up with each song giving a good flow.
    But then Everybody Wants Some hits, and it really takes off, the next stretch of songs just kills.
    I'll wait is definitely near the top for me, Eddie balances this out real nice and really makes it rock more than the original, a little heavier.
    Cradle has gotten a bad wrap, Dave is right in the pocket on this, I really dig Eddies vocals on this, Daves improv, just really gives a good vibe
    A little of a downside, I'm not in love with Eddies solo on this. It's probably because of all the years I heard the RHRN version, and now it's different because they actually play mean street
    I do wonder why he doesn't do 316 to start it anymore, I always thought that was a great start

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:15 PM
    Liked 8,689 Times in 4,694 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by UncleCrappy View Post
    I like what they did with the atmosphere, I guess you'd call it, with Everybody Wants Some. Take away the vocals and you've got as dark, mean-sounding tune as they've ever done. Even with the vocals, especially Dave's "everything is so slow" thing, it's still dark.. I went back and listened to the studio version, and it's almost a different song to my ears. Two spectacular songs.
    It's one of the best versions of EWS ON the entire tour. I love Dave's banter with Al at the start and Al's response with a tasty tom fill. Ed and Wolf's noodling right before the intro really kicks in as Al plays softer for a few seconds is always cool...then Al drops the hammer on the toms and Ed cranks up the power. It never gets old seeing and hearing them blaze through my favorite tune. I love what Ed does with the solo now and how Alex brings in the double kicks during the solo. The extended breakdown with Ed and Dave was one of the best of tour, and the way the band seamlessly flows into SGMAD is a highlight on the disk. EWS/SGMAD was a formidable one two punch all last tour!

Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies & Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 5,127 Times in 2,425 Posts

ok?... Tokyo video + live CD

Last edited by thismusicsux; 04.10.15 at 11:03 PM.

21. The Following Member Likes This Post: