Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 22 123411 ... LastLast
    Last Online

05.23.17 @ 11:53 AM
    Liked 137 Times in 67 Posts

Default Are you happy with where the band is at right now?

This should go well. I don't want this to turn into a going back and forth and flaming Sammy and Dave thread so I figured I'd try something else. How about a series of questions? Seems to me like Eddie and Alex are healthy now. I wish Eddie never smoked or drank and egos didn't get in the way. But I also want to hear the best band possible. If Wolf is doing his stuff with other bands and Dave is never around and getting people together to record new music is such a chore etc... My thinking is Sammy is the more talented singer now. I never wanted to see VH break up in the first place. I was fine with Sammy though and thought he was the better singer at the time and never thought that should break up either. But due to Eddie's addictions whatever it just all came crashing down. But that's over now imo.

So if you could put the best possible band together right now what would it be?

Sammy
    Eddie
    Alex
    MA

Unfortuantely the real world doesn't work that way but that is what I would choose. I'd also prefer the band get back in the studio and make new music. Suppoedly they are going to try to do that after this tour but will be interesting what actually happens.

So 3 part question.

Are you happy with where the band is at right now?

Pretty much

What is the best lineup at this point in your opinion?

Sammy
    Eddie
    Alex
    Mike

What is one thing you would change from a philosophy standpoint?

I'd rather they put their personal stuff aside and make the best possible music they can. They aren't getting any younger. I was listening to an interview with Sammy where he said it's much easier wh en a band breaks up because someone died. That's pretty cut and dry he thinks. But maybe this is the issue with his logic. Is that really easier? It seems like this would be easier because they are still alive to put out the best lineup. Dave is better lyrically imo and more of an artist. Sammy is a better singer. I don't know.
    Last edited by JudgementDay; 04.08.15 at 06:30 PM.

2. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

Just to expound on that how about we make the band a democracy and let them decide. Everyone vote, give their two cents etc and the band can deal with it. I'm pretty happy with the band either way and don't think it's a huge deal. Dave has his pluses. I also enjoy Wolf in the band. Enjoying the reunion for what It is for the time being and hope they make the most of it. Also enjoyed the new record with Dave.
    Last edited by JudgementDay; 04.08.15 at 06:58 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 18,159 Times in 8,975 Posts

I'm fine with it. I prefer Sam live, but albums are forever, and I think DLR and Ed just make great songs together...can't explain it, it is just one of those things.

I of course would like Mike to be in the band, but I know that is a non-starter, and Wolf is fine. I could nit-pick his tone and busy playing, but he seems to be a great guy who works hard and takes pride in his craft. You can't ask anymore than that from someone...nice, hard worker and highly skilled. If not Mike, then I am glad it's Wolf.

They are an actually semi-functioning band for the last eight years, so I wouldn't change a thing in the make up. Three tours, an album, and a live release. If someone had told us on here that in 2005, we would have all laughed you out of the building.

Though, I would tell DLR to lay off the cigarettes. Even Sinatra quit smoking and drinking while on tour to help his voice. If his idol can do it, he can.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

5. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 6,703 Times in 3,722 Posts

when i saw van halen in 2004 I was certain they'd never be on stage again after that tour. I was convinced Ed would be dead in the next 12 months. 11 years later, we've have two good tours, a really good album and are about to get a 3rd tour. Considering the spot they were in, I'm not complaining.

7. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

09.14.17 @ 06:01 PM
    Liked 41 Times in 21 Posts

The best Van Halen right now would be with Ed, Alex, Mike and the lead singer from the Atomic Punks for the original six pack live. It would be the version of VH I would pay for a great tour featuring the original songs. The best VH for a new album would be Ed, Alex, Mike and Sammy or a different singer for every song with a very strong producer or even if Dave would do the honors of producing/ directing and let others sing it could be cool. I have always dug Dave, but he just doesn't have the voice or the persona anymore for VH. They are just too good to have the sound brought down by a way below average singer at this point.

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:33 AM
    Liked 866 Times in 508 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I'm good with this lineup, and I'm happy we got another studio album. My only complaint is we haven't got another yet, but that's relatively minor in light of them still being active at all. I'm thrilled at that, because like It's Mike said, I thought they were done 10 years ago.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I'm fine with it. I prefer Sam live, but albums are forever, and I think DLR and Ed just make great songs together...can't explain it, it is just one of those things.

I of course would like Mike to be in the band, but I know that is a non-starter, and Wolf is fine. I could nit-pick his tone and busy playing, but he seems to be a great guy who works hard and takes pride in his craft. You can't ask anymore than that from someone...nice, hard worker and highly skilled. If not Mike, then I am glad it's Wolf.

They are an actually semi-functioning band for the last eight years, so I wouldn't change a thing in the make up. Three tours, an album, and a live release. If someone had told us on here that in 2005, we would have all laughed you out of the building.

Though, I would tell DLR to lay off the cigarettes. Even Sinatra quit smoking and drinking while on tour to help his voice. If his idol can do it, he can.
    Is Dave still smoking? Seems kind of strange he'd still be doing that. I thought he smoked in 80's and was into some really hardcore drugs. He seems like the type of guy that was overboard. Eddie has never said how much he smokes but seems like he was pack a day easy since he was a little kid plus drinking daily too.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 18,159 Times in 8,975 Posts

There are pictures on this very site of DLR lighting up a cig before the Kimmel concert during sound check.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:30 AM
    Liked 147 Times in 87 Posts

I am happy with the current lineup as it is.

Favorite VH Album

All 7
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 05:38 AM
    Liked 620 Times in 218 Posts

I like Van Halen....As Is.
    "I ain't complainin', you do the best with what you got."

15. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JudgementDay View Post
    Is Dave still smoking? Seems kind of strange he'd still be doing that. I thought he smoked in 80's and was into some really hardcore drugs. He seems like the type of guy that was overboard. Eddie has never said how much he smokes but seems like he was pack a day easy since he was a little kid plus drinking daily too.

Last Online

04.08.15 @ 09:12 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Well said mike....................

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    when i saw van halen in 2004 I was certain they'd never be on stage again after that tour. I was convinced Ed would be dead in the next 12 months. 11 years later, we've have two good tours, a really good album and are about to get a 3rd tour. Considering the spot they were in, I'm not complaining.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Secrets
    Last Online

06.22.15 @ 02:05 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm happy with the current line up and how they are performing. I especially liked their Kimmel pefromance of 'Hot for teacher" That was pure Van Halen to my ears.
    I've had the opprtunity to see a few of the classic bands ala Sabbath and Deep Purple (morse on guitar) over the past couple of years. The badns couldnt hold a torch to the level of performance Van Halen currently exhibit. Vocally Purple were the strongest but the overall band performance was as boring as bat shit. Van Halen are still a complete entertainment package even with Roth's warts and all vocal performances....he is still a fine master of ceremonies.
    Yes I'd like to see Mikey up there thumping it out but Wolfgang is playing a key role is keeping this band functional and on the radar so to speak.
    Van Halen is a cross between religion and ice-hockey

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:35 AM
    Liked 10,890 Times in 5,731 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    There are pictures on this very site of DLR lighting up a cig before the Kimmel concert during sound check.
    You'd think if Ed could kick the habit then so could Dave. Particularly since it affects his instrument (voice) a lot more than Ed's.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:53 AM
    Liked 11,586 Times in 4,939 Posts

Default Are you happy with where the band is at right now?

I think Ed uses those e-cigs which are also bad for you

But yes Dave is destroying what's left of his voice with the smoking not to mention the other health risks.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!