Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 726 Times in 343 Posts

Default Bogner Ecstacy Red Pedal

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have any experience with the Bogner Ecstacy Red pedal? I've been looking at them online, and they seem to be pretty good. I'm really happy with the BSIAB II, but there is one feature of the Red that I'm thinking would give me greater flexibility, and that is the Boost switch.

So, here's my current configuration: I'm running my clean channel at medium gain, and my lead channel at low gain. With my BSIAB II in front, I use the clean channel for dirty rythym, and my lead channel for leads. With the BSIAB II off, the Clean channel is somewhat clean, and the dirty channel has a touch more gain and is a bit louder. Playing with humbuckers, this configuration doesn't really give me a good clean tone. Although my amp is capable of achieving it, my dirty sound is too weak with my amp dialed in for a good clean tone.

Here is what I'm imagining with the Bogner Red:

I would be able to set up my clean channel as a true clean channel, and with the Red on, it would be a slightly broken up bluesy lower gain dirt channel. On my lead channel, I would be able to use it for all my higher gain rythym stuff, and dedicate it as the high gain channel. In both channels, boosting my leads would be accomplished with the boost switch on the pedal, rather than having to switch between two channels.

With my current configuration, I basically have 4 virtual amp channels, two without the BSIAB II, and 2 with it. I have a (kind of) clean and a (not very) clean lead, and a dirt with a dirt lead. With the Bogner, I would have a virtual 6 channels. I would have a very nice clean channel, a lower gain bluesy sound on the clean channel with the Red on, and a boost stage to add more dirt and volume on the clean channel. On my lead channel, I would have basically a lower gain dirt channel with the Red off, and a very nice (what I'm used to) crunch rythym channel with the Red on, and the boost I need for the leads on the same channel.

So, my dilemma is that I'm not sure I will like the tone of it as compared to my BSIAB II. I really, REALLY, love the tone of it. As expensive as the Bogner pedal is, I don't want to drop the coin on it and end up with buyer's remorse. Since pedals have no resale value to speak of, it would be pretty disappointing to spend that kind of cash and find out I don't like it.

Any insight you guys can offer would be great!
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Last Online

Nevermind, I think I may have solved my own problem on this. I can accomplish the same thing by simply adding a MXR Micro Amp pedal after my BSIAB II. It would be cheaper, and maintain the tone I like. I think I'm just going to go that route.

I'm going to assume since nobody responded, that the Bogner Red pedal is not a good solution for those seeking out any form of EVH tone. Good to know before I dropped 3 bills on one.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Last Online

UPDATE!

So, I picked up a Micro Amp + pedal last week for the rig. It's the Custom Shop Micro Amp with additional controls for Bass and Treble adjustment. So, I've accomplished my goal with quite a bit of tweaking to my amp. I put the Micro Amp + in the chain behind my BSIAB II. The goal is to boost my signal for leads with the Micro Amp + on my lead channel, while using my clean channel for real cleans.

Here were the initial results:

-On the clean channel, I backed off on my pre-gain to accomplish a very nice clean tone. With the Micro Amp + gain setting at 12 o'clock and the BSIAB II off, there was a dramatic increase in volume, as well as with the BSIAB II on. With the BSIAB II on with the clean channel, it has what I consider to be a decent overdriven 70's Marshall tone. It was the rhythm tone I was already using, but with a bit less gain.

-On the lead channel, I was concerned. With the BSIAB II on, and the Micro Amp + at 12 o'clock, I did not experience a very big jump in volume. My tone was not where I wanted it to be. The bottom end was very muddy and undefined for chords, and had an unpleasant midrange dominance which made it sound muffled. This freaked me out, because my Bass setting on my lead channel was already set pretty low. I messed with it for a while, and tried some different settings between my BSIAB II pedal and my amp's lead channel.

The first thing I figured out was I had to back off the lead channel's pre-gain to get the volume jump I wanted for leads. The higher the input gain, the less the Micro Amp + seemed to raise the volume, and the more it just fattened up the signal. That however did not solve the tone issue that I was having. My problem was, I was trying to stay near the tone settings on my lead channel that I had before, and just tweak them around my previous settings. Nothing I tried was getting me where I wanted to be for tone on my rhythm for the lead channel.

In a last ditch effort, I tried something that I remembered hearing in an EVH interview regarding his Marshall, and that was he just dimed every knob on the amp to get his tone. So, I took all 3 eq knobs on my lead channel to 10, and it was much closer to where I wanted to be. I backed the midrange off to about 1 o'clock, set the treble to about 3 o'clock, and the bass to about 4 o'clock, and there it was. It was a bit counter intuitive, because I added quite a bit of bass, and the bottom end became less muddy and more defined, probably because of the addition of the treble and backing off the mids. Anyway, after that little tweak, the lead channel with the BSIAB II on, and the Micro Amp + off is more like the rhythm tone on the clean channel, but with more gain, and the Micro Amp + boosts the volume sufficiently for leads with the lead channel pre-gain set low.

So, what did I learn from this that is of value to you guys? Well, a couple of things. The first thing is that the pedal rig scheme that I'm using is extremely effective in front of a clean amp, like a Fender Twin or Deluxe, but maybe not so good in front of a moderate gain amp, and completely useless in front of a high gain amp to accomplish the stated goal. If you have a two channel amp that goes from clean to a moderate gain, you could have a virtual 6 channel amp.

The second thing I learned is that this pedal rig would be the perfect addition to a clean single channel amp to give it a virtual high gain channel with the BSIAB II, and a lead boost. You could approach higher gain stuff if you have moderate gain on your amp, but the more gain you have on your amp, the less effective the Micro Amp + pedal is at raising your volume for leads.

Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all!
    Favorite VH Song

Currently: Mean Street
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 06:25 PM
    Liked 83 Times in 51 Posts

First post! (it's funny - I've been reading this forum for years but just joined a few days ago so I could reply to this thread)

I bought the Bogner Ecstasy Red pedal after demo'ing it at GC a few months back. I was impressed that I could conjure up CVH "brown"-ish tones and also the more modern hi-gain VH sounds as well. It's got a lot of options available for tone shaping and response, and none of them sound bad.

I've been feeding it a Strat (w/ Seymour Duncan SSL-5 in bridge) and a Les Paul standard, and running it through a little Fender Super Champ X2 in Channel 1 (clean) and think it sounds fabulous for any-era VH. I've got a USA Stealth arriving Friday so I'll report back as to how this combo works!

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:20 AM
    Liked 6,971 Times in 5,007 Posts

Premium Member

Those pedals sound pretty good but they take up a lot of room .

I've found myself very happy with the MXR Super Badass distortion ... Smaller footprint and a wide range of tones/gain levels . The controls are very interactive , so it can take a bit of time to find the sweet spot . There is a real mid-rangey timbre to it , which is ok . Eddie had a lot of mids in his early sound , and I get approximate that without an extra eq pedal like He used .

Also , I don't think Ed ever used a boost pedal for solos etc.
    He just had his main sound and then found ways to manipulate that with different techniques and rolling the volume control .
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:00 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    Those pedals sound pretty good but they take up a lot of room .

I've found myself very happy with the MXR Super Badass distortion ... Smaller footprint and a wide range of tones/gain levels . The controls are very interactive , so it can take a bit of time to find the sweet spot . There is a real mid-rangey timbre to it , which is ok . Eddie had a lot of mids in his early sound , and I get approximate that without an extra eq pedal like He used .

Also , I don't think Ed ever used a boost pedal for solos etc.
    He just had his main sound and then found ways to manipulate that with different techniques and rolling the volume control .
    I've been trying to figure out what Ed did for solos. 1984 live clips clearly show him stomping on something at times for a solo boost and its easy to hear the change in tone. I used to think he had another amp set up for higher gain solos as he insist he never used distortion before the amp. Then I found an article from his guitar tech Rudy who says in 1984(and maybe always) there was an MXR Micro Amp among the tour gear. So my best guess is he used the Micro Amp for Solos. He's inconsistent with his use of it. I could start a whole thread on this and he's newer use of channel switching live. But I'll stop now.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:20 AM
    Liked 6,971 Times in 5,007 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by AFU View Post
    I've been trying to figure out what Ed did for solos. 1984 live clips clearly show him stomping on something at times for a solo boost and its easy to hear the change in tone. I used to think he had another amp set up for higher gain solos as he insist he never used distortion before the amp. Then I found an article from his guitar tech Rudy who says in 1984(and maybe always) there was an MXR Micro Amp among the tour gear. So my best guess is he used the Micro Amp for Solos. He's inconsistent with his use of it. I could start a whole thread on this and he's newer use of channel switching live. But I'll stop now.
    I thought that the Micro Amp was always 'on' , to compensate for long cables and signal path ?
    Could be wrong ...

He also used a Phase 90 as a treble boost of sorts . It made an appearance on the '83 / '84 tours at times .
    I agree about his 3 channel amp ... He used to do all this with one setting . Times sure have changed !
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Last Online

So, I've had the opportunity to mess around with my setup at volume and have made a couple changes that vastly improved my tone. One problem I was having is that I had to have the channel volumes set very low to get the volume jump I wanted from the Micro Amp for leads. If I turned the channel volume up, at a certain point it stopped boosting the volume and just fattened the signal. The problem was that I was getting too much of the gain from the BSIAB, and not enough from the preamp. My tone was based on balancing the two, and I just wasn't getting enough preamp boost to give my tone the fatness that I liked. On my clean channel, I would get a dramatic jump in volume, but my lead channel wouldn't be as much. This has lead me to move the Micro Amp from the front of the amp, into the last pedal in the effects loop. This has enabled me to put the channel volumes where I like them, and have a consistent increase in volume between the two channels for leads.

The second change I made was removing the Sonic Stomp from my pedalboard entirely. It really doesn't work with my amp. I can't find a setting that doesn't just suck the tone out of my rig, so it's not in my chain anymore. It's funny, because having a Sonic Stomp in the effects loop of my 5150 Combo really made it sound much better. I'm not sure what to make of it, but it just does not work in the SE30.

Anyhow, now the only thing in front of the amp is the Cry Baby and the BSIAB II, the effects loop goes Chorus, Delay, and Micro Amp.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cant pick 1!
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 96 Times in 77 Posts

Didn't he also have a EQ pedal in his chain in the old days?