Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 6,694 Times in 3,714 Posts

Default Why girls do better in school

Very interesting article I read today. Not at all surprising but a very good read.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/econo...ist-explains-3

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 18,147 Times in 8,966 Posts

Make your children read.

They will learn to love it, and then will start doing it on their own with no parental prodding. A person with a love of reading will in turn have a love of learning. If that is achieved, everything else falls into place.

I sometimes feel like we are asking kids to sprint before we have even taught them how to crawl. If the kid has trouble reading, he isn't going to understand calculus either.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

3. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:44 PM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

Simple answer to this question (without reading the article): They don't have a penis that is demanding their attention every 3-5 seconds... I was an A-B student until 9th grade.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:58 PM
    Liked 3,115 Times in 1,826 Posts

Premium Member

Doing "more" homework is not going to help. It's about quality, not quantity. A teacher could assign 50 more math problems, but if the student has already mastered the skill, it's just busy work. If they haven't, more problems won't help.

Some argue that there was such a move towards making sure women succeeded in education that in the late '90s, we started noticing boys were having issues. When some college campuses started holding talks on the fact that college campuses we're seeing more females than males, the talks were opposed by college women's groups as being anti-female.

If I were to add to Dave's advice about reading, it would be to likewise not use writing as a punishment.

Anyway, what we actually need is more educational diversity. Genders are different, but so are individuals. A one-size-fits-all approach doesn't help.

My mother and another teacher had a "multi-age" classroom. 60 kids, two teachers, 1-3rd grade. The other teacher's expertise was science and math, my mom's language arts. They had to classrooms turned into one. There were desks, but also couches, carpets, bean bags, etc. Students who needed structure got it, while others could turn in work weekly. They did short term work and projects. In short, each student got what they needed.

Test scores went through the roof. They had a high percentage of special ed students. It didn't matter. In fact, one mentally handicapped student they had all three years went on to pass the CA high school exit exam. CA says he's not fit to drive a car, yet he works as a "plaid" at Disneyland, which is in customer relations and also gives VIP tours to celebrities who pass the line.

My mom's partner had an aneurysm in her 30s and died. Dealing with that stress and 60 kids with a long term sub and being at the end of her career, my mom retired and that classroom ended after that year.

No one took it over. If there was a kid at another school who needed that class, he or she couldn't go there. Since its a lot of work and teachers can't be forced to do that, no one took it over.

I tell this story because parents should have the ability to send their kids to a school that will meet their child's needs. Educational diversity would help all kids, girls or boys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

I think the homework thing is an interesting thing. There is a link between doing homework and success in school. But people are missing the point on this. Teachers can assign all the homework they want but kids will either do it or not do it. Kids that WANT to do their homework will do very well in school. Kids who don't want do their homework to but who's parents DEMAND they do their homework will do well in school. Kids that have neither that internal motivation for someone to push them are in big trouble.

Why the difference between boys and girls? I think single parent homes have a lot to do with this. As the father of a boy and 2 girls I can tell you my wife has no issues getting the girls to do their homework. My son can be a pain in the ass about it though, with my wife he'll take 10 minutes of work and turn it into a 2 hour ordeal, but if I'm sitting beside him he'll do it in 10 minutes. If neither us was around no work would ever be done. Boys need a father to tell them to do their work sometimes.

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Premium Member

The guy at Khan Academy thinks we should flip the whole thing around. Lectures should be watched at home and guided practice should be done at school with the instructor.

Maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong, but I won't hold my breath that we will find out. We already know that elementary kids should have the early start time and high school the late start time, but we've yet to change that.

What I'm getting at is I think it's less of a gender problem and more of an individual problem. There probably are more boys and girls like yours than not, but it won't help the ones who aren't to treat them like they are. Make sense?

Parenting is huge. You'd all probably freak out if you knew how many kids enter Kindergarten not knowing what they're supposed to. Seriously, like where is the nose and what is it for type stuff. It's insane.

And those kids will always be behind.

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    The guy at Khan Academy thinks we should flip the whole thing around. Lectures should be watched at home and guided practice should be done at school with the instructor.

Maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong, but I won't hold my breath that we will find out. We already know that elementary kids should have the early start time and high school the late start time, but we've yet to change that.

What I'm getting at is I think it's less of a gender problem and more of an individual problem. There probably are more boys and girls like yours than not, but it won't help the ones who aren't to treat them like they are. Make sense?

Parenting is huge. You'd all probably freak out if you knew how many kids enter Kindergarten not knowing what they're supposed to. Seriously, like where is the nose and what is it for type stuff. It's insane.

And those kids will always be behind.

i remember signing up my son for JK and he's at one of those magentic letter stations and he spells his name and one of the father's freaks out and say "he can write his name - can we read too?" Right on cue he picks up a book and starts reading. Having a teacher at home who was drilling that stuff into him since the day he was born was very helpful.

The best tip anyone with kids can get is to read to their kids every day. And have kids books all over the house. You want them to get use to having books around.
    Last edited by It's Mike; 04.07.15 at 10:22 AM.

12. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Them seeing you read for enjoyment is a positive reinforcement as well.

Thanks!

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

14. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

By the way, I can't see Khan Academy without thinking of...

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Premium Member

I 100% agree about the reading. My mom (as I said above) and dad were teachers. I was reading at a 6th grade level in 1st grade and never had to study through high school because I was always ahead of most students.

Where my parents failed was not making me study anyway. My first attempt at college was ugly because of it.

The ability to write is important too, and I can't stress enough that we shouldn't assign any as a form of punishment. I had to cringe the other day when my cousin told me she made her daughter write 500 times "I won't disrespect my mother" after a spectacularly awful display of behavior. Kids should never think of writing or reading as a punishment.

18. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

A historical perspective:

Here in the UK, we ran an '11 plus' exam system from 1944 to 1976. Basically, all 11 - 12 year old pupils were subjected to a test (comprising Maths and English) which would determine the nature of their schooling up to the age of 15 / 16. If pupils passed the test they would be sent to a grammar school which delivered a rigorously academic syllabus; if they failed, they would attend a secondary modern school designed to offer more vocational courses.

My Mum took this test - and both she and her teachers were surprised when she failed as she was consistently top of the class, particularly in English. Many years later it transpired that boys and girls were marked differently, girls being graded to a much higher standard than their male equivalents, a scandal that made national headlines. This policy was implemented by the authorities when it became clear that if the same mark scheme was applied equally across the board, then the number of girls going to grammar school would would vastly exceed the number of boys - and this, the education department felt, was unacceptable. Young women in particular suffered as a result of the disparity - but as it was still expected that they merely go onto become housewives, their being academically educated was not considered a priority in the same way as it was for boys.

Now, as all of the above took place way beyond any modern day 'push' towards encouraging female achievement in the classroom, it can be seen as quite enlightening with regards to how both boys and girls learn, and their innate intellectual differences - and that leads me on to the observations both I and my colleagues made during our time teaching at a secondary (11 - 18) independent school.

An educator's perspective:

Firstly, an independent school is a fee-paying organisation. Generally therefore, the pupils come from fairly similar backgrounds - relatively privileged, with pushy parents - so that means we can (for this purpose) more or less omit extraneous factors from the equation and concentrate solely on intellectual capacity, assessed by pupils' performances in class, the quality of their homework, coursework and exam marks:

1) Girls mature a lot more quickly than boys - including intellectually. As a general principle, they learn to speak, read, write, and analyse data years before the boys. Their conceptual abilities are a lot more advanced, and they tend to be more perceptive and articulate earlier on in life. It takes boys quite some time to catch up (if indeed they ever do - sorry - but we all know of male 'grunting' syndrome );

2) Girls tend to work harder, be more diligent, and concentrate for longer periods. Therefore, with a focus on continuing, year-long assessment rather than a single end-of-year exam, girls tend to achieve higher marks. Boys have a more 'gung-ho' approach, preferring an exam situation where their concentration span is only tested for a couple of hours;

3) When it comes to English, a subject which demands a certain amount of verbalisation, communication, and discussion, boys tend to find its rigours more challenging than girls. Some pupils actually had the misfortune to be taught by yours truly for their entire academic career (not ideal or deliberate, but just one of those things that occasionally happened as a quirk of the school's organisation) and so I was able to closely observe the progress of those individuals. It became apparent that whilst there would be a handful of incredibly bright boys, on the whole, boys occupied the 'middle ground', and seemed content to do so. Girls, on the other hand, tended to be 'naturally' higher up the scale and were very competitive - both with their fellow (female) students and also within themselves; girls would worry a LOT more about their academic performance and were extremely self-critical, whereas the boys would be a lot more nonchalant about things.

4) Girls tend to 'under-play' their academic abilities, whilst boys tend to 'over-sell' theirs. This difference in attitude and outlook continues into later life, I've noticed. Men seem to have a lot more bravado and aren't averse to blowing their own trumpets (even to the point of exaggerating their achievements / abilities) whereas women tend to be slightly more 'modest', or at least less inclined to overstate their capabilities. This may go some way to explain why there is still a certain amount of inequality in the workplace, with men being less reluctant than their female counterparts to ask for pay-rises or promotions, despite not always having achieved the same academic standards.

A parent's perspective:

As the Mother of a 10 year old boy, I see all of the above playing out with my own offspring. Interestingly, my ex hub (and father of the sprog) is also a trained teacher - but his approach used to infuriate me, and I see it running through the genes of my son ...A lackadaisical, laissez-faire attitude predominates - both very bright individuals, but can they be arsed to do as much as they should? No! Things (like homework - or marking, where the ex was concerned) left to the last minute, preparation always 'just enough' rather than meticulous; both of them content to get 'good' results rather than pushing themselves to be outstanding...It is wholly exasperating but, then again, perhaps it is also quite healthy? I am sure my son will do well in his life; he's intelligent and personable - but he's very much his father's son...
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

20. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:41 PM
    Liked 11,568 Times in 4,931 Posts

I think almost all homework is a waste of time. Yes I'm one of those parents that doesn't believe in it.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

22. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

One thing I think all parents can agree on.

Can we get rid of the fucking science projects? Please?

24. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:45 PM
    Liked 7,862 Times in 4,592 Posts

Premium Member

I also think homework is a waste of time.

Going to school is their job and they're there all day.

As adults, we don't wanna bring our jobs home. Why would kids?

Most of the time...forcing doesn't work imo. Especially, when it comes to learning.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Homework helps establish study habits. It's very important. I think some schools go over the top on the amount but they are in the minority. Most young students with a lot of homework just failed to do their work in class.