Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 20 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Revisting ADKOT

Last Online

05.23.17 @ 11:53 AM
    Liked 137 Times in 67 Posts

Default Revisting ADKOT

Just wondering what people think of this album after the dust has settled a bit. A lot of people aren't going to care about a bunch of 50-60 year olds regardless and think they aren't the same and automatically compare it to the older stuff. I actually put the disc away for a while after it first came out. I liked it but never felt the need to go back too much. With the release of hte live set I happened to pull it out though, and have to say it grows on me. It's like that CD Van HAlen released never got much fanfare but is actually an underrated gem suddenly. Maybe it's how it's all marketed nowadays. Just some people aren't going to like certain things. I remember the guitar really shocking me at first. It may not be Fair Warning but it's Van Halen nonetheless and the band sounds great. All is well in VH land. I may be different that way. I've always been that way with this band where I really listen to their music though over a period of time. You can't really force that but I really do listen to it. It's like a singular thing for me. It still has that off beat, loss of control, bootleg vibe to a lot of songs. They took a lot of old material to do it that way. But there are some really underrated gems. As Is is kind of the staple of this album. Blood and Fire. Good songs.
    Last edited by Fontcow; 04.07.15 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Corrected thread title

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:07 AM
    Liked 1,606 Times in 743 Posts

Premium Member

Never heard of ADNOT
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Last Online

Sry misspelled that. ADKOT. Hit the wrong key. N, K they are kind of close on my keyboard lol. Can't change it now. Maybe I inherently had something within myself telling me not to listen to it. I have though and it's good. Just have to let it flow and not compare it and it is.
    Last edited by JudgementDay; 04.07.15 at 12:03 AM.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:13 AM
    Liked 1,479 Times in 901 Posts

After 3 years.....it still rocks!!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

5. The Following 6 Members Like This Post:

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:24 AM
    Liked 2,857 Times in 1,068 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

It's a worthy addition to the VH discography for sure. The best and worst part about it is that I enjoy the"new songs more than the updated tunes. I really hope there's a follow up some day.

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

AJW

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:11 AM
    Liked 11,749 Times in 6,507 Posts

Premium Member

I had to take a break from it since I was playing it so much. I love ADKOT and I hope there is a follow up. I happen to think there will be.

"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

9. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

I honestly didn't like it that much at first. I am a stickler that way and won't like something just because it's van halen and my favorite band if it isn't good. I think where the band was at the time they were a mess. All of them. Lack of creativity or whatever. There were a few good songs and I felt the rest of it was kind of throwaway. I bought it listened to it a few times and never went back. I did just re-listen to it though. I really genuinally like the live album. It genuinally got my VH juices flowing again for the first time in a long time so I put ADKOT back in. A different not.... lol. I honestly didn't mean to do that but kind of funny. I don't think there has ever been a VH album I didn't think was professionally done or good. VH III. I still kind of think this is their weakest record next to III but it's better than that. The Live album is like 20 something rocking songs. ADKOT has some throwaway garbage on it but it's different and I like it. Like I was saying I think Blood and Fire, As Is, You and your Blues, Chinatown, Big River and a few others these are all quality songs... Is it up to par with their other stuff? I don't think so.

At first I probably would have given the record a 4 or 5 out of 10. I'd give it a 6 now. It's growing on me. I hope they get back in the studio and get some of those creative juices going now that they are looking healthier.. Eddie's health seems to be much better now. That can help creativity. I've been doing a ton of listening to various stuff on youtube. Dave and even Sammy's projects with Chickenfoot and Michael Anthony. It's a shame they aren't In the band. Hagar has a huge stage presence and his voice hasn't lost it at all. He's close to 70 and has found the fountain of youth that way. Dave gets a lot of flack and Sammy's attitude kind of pisses me off though. I kind of like Dave better from a style perspective. The band is not that bad off. I think Dave sounds alright and is getting there.

ADKOT is a bit of an off beat album with 6 or so quality songs as it stands and some throwaway stuff as it is but it's a fairly good effort. There is not one song that jumps out at me though. I think now they could do better if they get focused. I'd like to see them have some really good solid stuff in them.

Eddie and Alex seem healthy now so that's good. When they recorded this I don't think they were. To me it's still their worst record with either Dave or Sammy. But it's not terrible. A lot of great bands have that record and I think it compares to some of those and none of those are bad.
    Last edited by JudgementDay; 04.07.15 at 03:31 AM.

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Songs I like

1. As Is
    2. She's the Woman
    3. China Town
    4. Outta Space
    5. Beats Workin
    6. Big River
    7. You and Your Blues
    8. Blood and Fire

Songs I still could do without or have to bear to listen to

1. Tattoo-Eh..
    2. Bullethead-Not bad. Pretty good actually.
    3. Honey Baby Sweetie Doll-Trash. Maybe I'm wrong. I thought it was super heavy at first. Still is.
    4. Stay Frosty-Liked it at first. I thought it had a cool hook to it. I don't like it now I don't know why. Dave's vocals annoy me in this one.
    5. The Trouble with Never-Still reminds of too much of Gary Cherone for some reason.

that's where I'm at right now.
    Last edited by JudgementDay; 04.07.15 at 04:09 AM.

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:15 AM
    Liked 18,121 Times in 8,949 Posts

It's a good disc. Not their best, not their worst.

Of their twelve studio albums, I'd place it at #8 in my personal wheel of preference. Not bad for three old men and a baby.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Last Online

02.10.17 @ 03:20 AM
    Liked 332 Times in 182 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JudgementDay View Post
    Songs I like

1. As Is
    2. She's the Woman
    3. China Town
    4. Outta Space
    5. Beats Workin
    6. Big River
    7. You and Your Blues
    8. Blood and Fire

Songs I still could do without or have to bear to listen to

1. Tattoo
    2. Bullethead
    3. Honey Baby Sweetie Doll
    4. Stay Frosty
    5. The Trouble with Never

Maybe those will grow on me too. But that's where I'm at right now.
    I would almost exactly co-sign this, except for Bullethead which is great imo

Stay Frosty seems to get a lot of love but when Dave starts doing that "uhhhhh uhhhhh uhhhh" section I can't listen. Honeybabysweetiedoll to my ears sounds like garbage but I know that also gets a lot of love. Fair enough, different strokes etc...

On first listen I was mainly blown away, pulled it out the other day and still think it's very solid with occasional moments of fantasticness. Main problem aside from the few 'bad' tracks is the muddy and vaguely soulless production job. There is something 'dead' sounding about the overall feel that I can't quite put my finger on, even tho for the most part the album rocks

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:15 AM
    Liked 18,121 Times in 8,949 Posts

I gave to a musician friend of mine, and I can still remember his first comment, "sounds like a young band, not a bunch of almost 60 year olds."

That is the main component that anyone can take from ADKOT, whether they like it or not. There is an energy to it, a youthful exuberance that harkens back to the early albums. It's not as good as the early albums, but it doesn't hang its head in shame when in their company either.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

17. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, VH2, FW, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Big River, Little Guitars
    Last Online

03.22.17 @ 07:01 AM
    Liked 120 Times in 49 Posts

I still love ADKOT. The production is atrocious, but I love every song except three:

Bullethead is okay but a little bit unremarkable. There's nothing wrong with it, as such, but it's not a standout track for me.

The Trouble With Never, much like Bullethead, doesn't particularly bother me but at the same time I don't find myself listening to it often.

Honeybabysweetiedoll is a weird song. Again, I don't dislike it, but it's one that I have to be in the mood to listen to. When I am, it's great. When I'm not, I can easily skip it.

Musically and vocally, ADKOT is great. It's legitimately one of my favourite VH albums.

When it comes to people being critical of the fact that they used so many old songs, it's worth noting that we've only heard those old songs on bootlegs. It's really not the band's fault that these songs were leaked years ago. Had they not been bootlegged, we'd have potentially been none the wiser.
    Waylon Jennings: 1937-2002.
    "There ain't nothin' quite as sad as watching your heroes die."

RIP, Hoss!

19. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 05:06 AM
    Liked 4,798 Times in 2,449 Posts

Premium Member

Still love the disk. Its difficult to rank it because there is really zero nostalgia associated with it. No memories of growing up with my friends sporting a mullet while drinking underage or a few years in. It has an advantage though of not having songs that have been played to death. I loved various songs from all eras but today will not listen to them because of overkill.

Tattoo has grown on me more while Bullethead is still one of my least favorite VH songs

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:02 AM
    Liked 1,883 Times in 1,100 Posts

I like ADKOT, I don't love ADKOT.

there are a lot of things the band did right on it and there are some things I think they missed their mark on-this is my opinion obviously.

I was all for the going back and re-using unreleased demo's, I thought it was actually a brilliant (but easy) way out. You get a chance to grab that fire you had in 77 (or whenever) and put it out there as something new....there was an energy to the band at that time that I don't know if they could recapture with new material....so basically the uninformed fan would walk away from it going "holy shit, they sound just like they did when Dave was in the band the first time".

I think they did it on some things and other things I think they missed the mark on. I don't like a lot of the reworked lyrics. Dave is very clever, don't get me wrong but IMHO the lyrical approach to STW was 100% cooler on the old demo than it is on ADKOT-I understand some dont' agree with me on this and that's fine.

Ed's playing is great on the majority of the record, no complaints as is Al. Wolf is fine. I'm not gonna get into a big wolf vs Mike debate cause it's stupid and pointless.

Dave is clever, I've always said that and I probably always will. He always comes up with cool stuff but I think his approach in the old days fit the music better for the most part. A tune like Outta Space just falls short to me when I think it used to be "let's get rockin'" (I love that song).

sometimes I love stay frosty other times I think the band just said "hey lets make a tune that kind of sounds like ice cream man"....

it's a good record for vh in 2012, I listen to it more than I thought...tattoo is probably the worst vh song they ever put as a first track on a record....I just think that song is brutal. I like HSBD and I think the trouble with never is fantastic...

good...not great IMHO.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:49 AM
    Liked 1,034 Times in 505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    Its difficult to rank it because there is really zero nostalgia associated with it. No memories of growing up with my friends sporting a mullet while drinking underage or a few years in. It has an advantage though of not having songs that have been played to death. I loved various songs from all eras but today will not listen to them because of overkill.
    That’s exactly how I feel. I’ve been listening to it in the car for the last couple weeks. I try to visualize Dave being in his twenties, long hair flowing, and jumping around the stage when I listen to it and I tend to like the music better when I do that.

The album just doesn’t grab me but I’m older and the band is older so I guess it makes sense.

I’m sorry for those that I offend but I still like Tattoo best. The highlight of the album for me is during the first verse after “…Elvis talks” that little synth part and then Ed comes in like a freight train – the tone and the sense that his guitar is like an unbridled bronco - goose bumps.
    "...it's steak and whiskey time in America." - bklynboy68