Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:34 AM
    Liked 10,832 Times in 5,695 Posts

Premium Member

Default Question for VH Linkers With Children

First off mods if this is more appropriate for the 2015 tour forum please move.

Anyway, I have a question for all you out there that have kids. I am considering taking my 4 year old son to the Red Rocks show on July 20th. I have two tickets which kind of happened by mistake - long story that I'm not going to get into. Anyway, my friend that I went with last time I actually don't want to go with because he sat there with his hands in his pockets the whole time. I asked my wife and she politely declined as that's not her thing. Instead she suggested I take my 4 year old son.

A little about him so you can make an educated comment. He is a big Van Halen fan (as big of a fan as you can be when you're 4). Pretty much every morning after breakfast he drags me downstairs to where my guitars and amp is and wants to "play" Van Halen with me (he's a big ZZ Top and Led Zeppelin fan too). So I put in whatever disc I feel like playing and he grabs his guitar and "plays" along. At night if were hanging out upstairs he likes me to play Unchained Oakland '81 on my phone so when Dave does his jump off the drum riser he can jump off the couch like he's DLR. I've got some great videos of him dancing to the Full Bug and Jump. Basically he's already a bigger fan than a lot of people I know and he's only four.

Which brings me to my question. Am I out of my mind? I wouldn't have seriously considered it if my wife hadn't mentioned it. Obviously 4 is a little young, but I'm not going out to get hammered and try to meet chicks or whatever at concerts anymore so I don't really care about that aspect. I'm fully aware of what other people may choose to do (especially in this state) and I'm not terribly concerned about it. The volume concerns me a little bit but he's always asking me to turn it up downstairs so I think he'll be fine and he can always use some earplugs if needed.

What do you think VH links parents? Would you or wouldn't you? I'm on the fence at this point - he says he wants to go but I still think he's a little too young.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:17 AM
    Liked 6,670 Times in 3,696 Posts

I think he's unlikely to sit through a 2 hour concert. Are you ok with leaving half way through it?

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:49 AM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

^^^ Good point !
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:13 AM
    Liked 2,852 Times in 1,066 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

First, it sounds like you're son is awesome.

Second, I may not have kids, but my first thought was the same as It's Mike's. My friend's kids won't sit through a ball game or a monster truck rally for 2 hours.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:44 PM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

Too young, raffle it off to a broke Van Halen fan and you may find yourself a friend.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

8. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 02:30 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

I wouldn't at that age, I wanted to take my son last time as he was 13 but didn't as my tix were a wedding gift for the Paso Robles show. But this time (now 15) he and I are going and he is so excited for it. I asked him today what songs he really wants to hear the most and he said Cradle Will Rock and Humans Being knowing that he won't hear the latter.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

simple rhyme
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:45 AM
    Liked 1,202 Times in 532 Posts

Took my 12 year old in 2012. He loved it. He can't wait to go this year. 4 is a bit young. He might not even make through the first song.

GET READY....
    WHAT IS UNDERSTOOD NEED NOT BE DISCUSSED

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

I'd say no, but this is about as subjective as you can get.

There's things to consider regarding a 4 yr old attention span (as noted above), there's language, there's atmosphere, and then there's the volume which is an actual medical concern. I'd never subject a developing ear to the volume levels found at a rock concert. That could literally cause permanent damage the likes of which could make for a conversation 40 years from now that goes like this "Eh??!! Gonna have to speak up! My Dad took me to a Sammy Hagar show when I was 4 so I'm a little deaf!"

For me, for all of the reasons above, I'm not taking my 9 year old to see them in July, though I know he'd enjoy it. I took my daughter to her first big show when she was 15.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

13. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

All 7
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 05:38 AM
    Liked 620 Times in 218 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    First off mods if this is more appropriate for the 2015 tour forum please move.

Anyway, I have a question for all you out there that have kids. I am considering taking my 4 year old son to the Red Rocks show on July 20th. I have two tickets which kind of happened by mistake - long story that I'm not going to get into. Anyway, my friend that I went with last time I actually don't want to go with because he sat there with his hands in his pockets the whole time. I asked my wife and she politely declined as that's not her thing. Instead she suggested I take my 4 year old son.

A little about him so you can make an educated comment. He is a big Van Halen fan (as big of a fan as you can be when you're 4). Pretty much every morning after breakfast he drags me downstairs to where my guitars and amp is and wants to "play" Van Halen with me (he's a big ZZ Top and Led Zeppelin fan too). So I put in whatever disc I feel like playing and he grabs his guitar and "plays" along. At night if were hanging out upstairs he likes me to play Unchained Oakland '81 on my phone so when Dave does his jump off the drum riser he can jump off the couch like he's DLR. I've got some great videos of him dancing to the Full Bug and Jump. Basically he's already a bigger fan than a lot of people I know and he's only four.

Which brings me to my question. Am I out of my mind? I wouldn't have seriously considered it if my wife hadn't mentioned it. Obviously 4 is a little young, but I'm not going out to get hammered and try to meet chicks or whatever at concerts anymore so I don't really care about that aspect. I'm fully aware of what other people may choose to do (especially in this state) and I'm not terribly concerned about it. The volume concerns me a little bit but he's always asking me to turn it up downstairs so I think he'll be fine and he can always use some earplugs if needed.

What do you think VH links parents? Would you or wouldn't you? I'm on the fence at this point - he says he wants to go but I still think he's a little too young.
    If you decide to take him definitely use earplugs and if you decide not to take him then at least get him a 2015 tour shirt even if its an adult small and he has to grow into it. He'll be the coolest kid in school. (when he actually goes)
    "I ain't complainin', you do the best with what you got."

15. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

Thanks for the responses.

I'm already aware that I'd have to miss most of KWS if I took him because there's no way he'd last through the entire thing and I actually want to see KWS so that's already a negative and a good point.

The other major negative is the volume. I know ear plugs would lessen it to an extent, but he's already a budding musician and I wouldn't want to damage his hearing. That's one reason he hasn't gotten the drum set he keeps asking for...

As for language, marijuana, etc I feel that I can parent him on those aspects as he's going to be exposed to them sooner or later - not that I want to hasten it but that's life. People are going to do different things and you need to learn to make good decisions so we'll work on that as we go.

The other thought that I had was that you never know when Van Halen will tour for the last time at this point. Could be this one, could be the next. Who knows? That said, the likelihood that he would remember it at this age is probably pretty remote so that really shouldn't be a factor.
    Last edited by Get The Show On The Road; 04.06.15 at 04:30 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 03:58 PM
    Liked 171 Times in 102 Posts

Absolutely not.

Concerts are no place for kids, unless it's friggin Barney or something kid related. People go nuts at concerts and you don't want to have to explain that....

The volume is far too much for little kids. I crew an extremely loud airplane and wear semi-custom ear plugs to concerts. Even my ears still ring afterwards. Ear plugs aren't anywhere near enough hearing protection. He'd need at least double protection, to include serious ear muffs. Kids won't wear ear plugs. He's too young for permanent hearing damage.

No matter how much of a little fan he is, he'll lose interest about three songs into it. And, he'll be a grumpy, tired mess by five or six songs into it.

Find a buddy to go with you instead. Heck, I took my dad to see Eric Clapton.

18. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
    If you decide to take him definitely use earplugs and if you decide not to take him then at least get him a 2015 tour shirt even if its an adult small and he has to grow into it. He'll be the coolest kid in school. (when he actually goes)
    LOL. He's in preschool and they had their music block a couple of weeks ago. So somehow he got his teachers to play "La Grange" on their tablet for his musical selection and he led his classmates around dancing to it.

His teacher showed me the video when I came to pick him up and thought it was hilarious. Fortunately the kids don't understand what that song is about. Yet...

20. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Railrunner130 View Post
    Absolutely not.

Concerts are no place for kids, unless it's friggin Barney or something kid related. People go nuts at concerts and you don't want to have to explain that....

The volume is far too much for little kids. I crew an extremely loud airplane and wear semi-custom ear plugs to concerts. Even my ears still ring afterwards. Ear plugs aren't anywhere near enough hearing protection. He'd need at least double protection, to include serious ear muffs. Kids won't wear ear plugs. He's too young for permanent hearing damage.

No matter how much of a little fan he is, he'll lose interest about three songs into it. And, he'll be a grumpy, tired mess by five or six songs into it.

Find a buddy to go with you instead. Heck, I took my dad to see Eric Clapton.
    Yeah, what does it say about my one pal that I'd rather take my 4 year old son instead? HA! I thought about my brother in law but he called them a hair band so I ain't going to do that. All my friends that I grew up on Van Halen with live elsewhere these days. Kind of surprising but that's the way it goes I guess.

I actually took my dad to the Balance tour. Had a good time and I'd do it again but he's out of state.

I'm glad I have a couple of months - I'll figure it out. But I'm with you on the volume - I know what my ears feel like the next day and it's probably too much for a little guy.
    Last edited by Get The Show On The Road; 04.06.15 at 04:28 PM.

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 892 Posts

My Dad took me to my first concert BTO in 1976 when I was 8 years old.

But it was because HE wanted to see the show and I just happened to be with him at the time. We were at the PNE Amusement Park going on the rides and whatnot. Bumper cars and so forth. Didn't get to go on the Rollercoaster that day the line was too long or something but saw the Demolition Derby it was a very fun day.

So the BTO concert was on that night and since I was with him he had no choice but to bring me along or miss the show.

From what I remember it was great I loved the whole scene even at that young age. I remember he bought me a yellow BTO frisbee and a bright neon green glowstick tons of people in the audience had them it looked pretty cool the whole Coliseum lit up in the dark. People flicking their lighters hooting and hollering it left a huge impression on me. I've loved rock concerts ever since.

Next show he took me to see was KISS in '79 even though he didn't like them just went because I wanted to go. We would of saw the '77 show but the date conflicted with our holiday that year so missed it.

Good memories.
    " On a scale that ranges from deep dark depression to rip roaring fun ... most people idle between pissed off ...and not too pissed off " DLR 1997

" I am the danger ... I am the one who knocks " Walter White 2011

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:44 AM
    Liked 1,468 Times in 899 Posts

I'm taking my 12 year old to see his first concert when they come to Hartford.

A 4 year old? That seems a little young to me.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

24. The Following Member Likes This Post: