Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube

"Fair Warning" & "OU812"
    Favorite VH Song

"Romeo Delight" & "Cabo Wabo"
    Last Online

09.21.15 @ 03:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

...starts off with me sleepily making my way over to the Cantina to stand in line for tickets to that night's gig. I get there and meet Loni, who's halfway to the hotel to come and get me. She leads me back to our place in line, graciously being held for us by this cool chick, who later turns out to be JuJu. Me, being Mr. Congeniality that I am when first woken up, grunt her way and just sit there on the hard pavement, wondering if I'm still dreaming or if I'm actually sitiing in the parking lot of the Cabo Wabo Cantina at 0215 in the morning. I look around, see all the seemingly dead bodies that are snoring their collective asses off, listen to the Sammy Hagar music being blared about on various boomboxes, and confirm, "Yep...I'm really fucking here." JuJu says something to me, and I just smile amd mutter something incoherently, praying she understands I'm not yet awake, and won't be for at least another 12 hours.

So, I lie down and start listening to one of two VH discs I had brought with me on the trip, "L:RHRN". Part of it was to keep me awake, while most of it was due to me trying to drown out the drunken ramblings of some idiot Canadian who suddenly, and loudly, deemed himself the authority on world (particularly the U.S.) politics. Everything from WW1 to 9/11 he was suddenly the reigning know-it-all about where we went wrong with everything. He also eventually got into a small argument with some of the local scalpers who were also waiting in line for Hagar tickets. It wouldn't have bothered me one bit to have seen this idiot-fuck get his ass beaten by the locals he was harassing. In fact, part of me wanted to help out. But, I just turned up the volume and tried my best to ignore him. I eventually started talking with JuJu's husband, Daron, a very cool, and talkative, dude. Had it not been for him, I probably would've fallen back asleep and had the same fate that fell upon JuJu fall upon me. She got her wallet ripped off, and had I fallen asleep who knows what those thieves might've taken from my backpack.

The sun finally rose, and the tickets, or rather wristbands, went on sale. There were no actual tickets this year. I guess they've been having a serious problem with scalpers getting in line the last few years, buying tickets, and then reselling them at outrageous prices to those that weren't fortunate enough to buy them. So, this year Sam decided to institute a "wristband-ticket" deal, whereas the wristband you had would be color-coded for that night's gig, and that would bge your actual ticket per se. A pretty good idea, but rather than just hand them out to people, like they were doing, a more effective means of scalping control would've had the ticket sellers placing the wristband on you at the time of sale, rather than just hand it to you. It didn't really matter, because the scalpers were counterfeiting them almost immediately. The best thing about the sales, though, was that since Sam's security at the Cantina is so small, everyone got to know each other, and that meant we had security watching out for us. In particular, the head of security, some dude with long hair and a goatee. Very cool hombre. When it came time to start selling tickets, he walked through the line and started pulling scalpers out of the line one after another, which greatly reduced our wait time and left only the real fans in line. How cool is that?

We get our wristbands, go back to the hotel room, and get maybe 2 hours of sleep since we have a timeshare lecture to go to at 11:30. Well, 11:30 rears its ugly head and we're up and (barely) running. Off we go to the timeshare thingy, if only to get my shuttle fare refunded. We get there and it is beautiful. If I had had the cash right then and there, I would've been sold. This place was right on the beach and everything about it said "Land's end, you have to see it. Ain't no picture ever say it right." We do the tour, get the free brunch, try to get talked into it, and the guy, who's nice as hell, but dense as they come, who's trying to sell us on it can't seem to get it thru his head that I just CAN NOT afford it. He finally gets the hint, it was probably me telling him, Hey..I CAN'T AFFORD IT!". We get our shuttle refund, and I'm about $60 richer. Yay! Back to the hotel for some more shut-eye, and to prepare for that evening's festivities!

Loni and caught some "ZZZ's", and woke up around 3 or 4. Went to eat at some taco place and it was actually pretty damned good. Make our way back to the Cantina and I end up as the very first person in line for the show that night. Doors opened at 7:30, and so begins the long wait until 10:00, which is when some of us were told Sam would be hitting the stage. The first of 3 Amigos de Los Ninos raffles starts at 8:30, and guess who wins a free 2-night stay at the local Hilton? Yep. Me. But, since the deadline for redeeming it is December 20 of this year, I go back and decline it, throwing it back into the pot for someone else to win and possibly use. Well, no sooner do I make my way back to my coveted spot, behind Diane and Mike, then I hear my name called again, for the same prize. Ray looks down at me and says, "Dude! How many tickets did you buy?!?" Evidently, enough to win twice. Too bad it wasn't the night the autographed guitar was being given away. I probably would've won. I go back and decline it again. Let someone else have a chance at it, I tell Ray. There's no way I was going to be able to use it before December 20.

We're all down on the floor rockin' out to Zeppelin, ZZ Top, Nickleback, Gn' R, when the lights go out and Sam and everyone make their way to the stage. They rip into "When The Hammer Falls" and it's just out of control from that point on. He played tunes off his new relase, "Not 4 Sale", such as "Things've Chanmged", " Whole Lotta Zep" (with Mike on co-lead vocals for a few verses), and "Halfway To Memphis". No "Halleluiah", as I was hoping for. Mike came out to a very enthusiastic reception and they ran through "Best Of Both Worlds", and a surprise performance of "Amsterdam", of which Sam forgot the entire lyrics to the second portion of the song. He looked out at the crowd with an "I don't know" look on his face. Sam talked about he had been on the beach all afternoon shooting footage for his upcoming video, and then invited everyone back to the Cantina that Saturday becuase there was going to be more footage shot that day, and he wanted as many people as possible there.He also performed "The Big Square Inch" with David Lauser on co-lead vocals. The final song of the night was "Dreams", and it was just a prelude as to what we were all in store for in the next 3 days.
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

"This is a lttle prayer dedicated to the separation of church and state. I guess if they are going to force those kids to pray in schools they might as well have a nice prayer like this: Our Father who art in heaven, and to the republic for which it stands, thy kingdom come, one nation indivisible as in heaven, give us this day as we forgive those who so proudly we hail. Crown thy good into temptation but deliver us from the twilight's last gleaming. Amen and Awomen. ."

"I think it's the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."

-George Carlin 1937 - 2008

Favorite VH Album

Oh! You ate one, too?
    Favorite VH Song

Can't Stop Loving You
    Last Online

01.28.16 @ 02:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

EXCELLENT Read! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

I can't wait to hear what happens next!
    "Keep honking buddy. I'm reloading..." -The Mard

"......HEY!.............alright............." -BIG FOOT

" I know what you're thinking: "Do I want to watch Mard? We know that horses were very strong and could actually stop airplanes from flying away. The ones made out of stone called "statues" -- occasionally came to life and rode off is a colonial cliche. How many more times do we need to hear about how the oppressive Raj's wore villainous black capes, crafted cunning plastic masks to impersonate people, and drained all the blood from their slaves so they could keep the fluid in bottles in their dungeons? I mean, YAWN!

But if you're willing to sit through this dry sort of historical drama one more time -- or even just this dry historical review -- you will not be disappointed. In fact, some of you might just learn something they didn't teach you in school!-
    MARD-The Movie