Register
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:05 PM
    Liked 11,742 Times in 6,504 Posts

Premium Member

Default UNDERCOVER VIDEO: CATHOLIC COLLEGE OKS PRO-ISIS CLUB

Officials at a university where an employee was captured by an undercover journalist agreeing to start a pro-ISIS club on campus charge the sting operation was “sinful” and probably illegal.

Sister Linda Bevilacqua, the president of Barry University, said in a statement the “intimation or implication that our university would approve or condone the formal establishment of such a group could be regarded as not just shameful but sinful.”

WND reported the work of Project Veritas, the investigative organization begun by James O’Keefe to out organizational corruption and dishonesty.

O’Keefe released this week a video showing a Barry University official embracing a proposal to host a pro-ISIS club at the Miami campus.

The video, part of the Project Veritas College Investigation Tour, opens with the narrative: “We told administrators we wanted to start a pro-ISIS club. Our investigator is actually an honor student at the university.”

A man identified as Derek Bley, coordinator for leadership development and student organizations at the campus, appears on the video to offer to help the undercover student, named Laura.

Laura then says she wants to know the steps to forming a club on campus.

She says: “I wanted to start a like humanitarian club on campus. Do you think the name’s OK? I mean, because I don’t want it to be like too political. Like for students, Sympathetic Students in support of the Islamic State. … I want to start fundraising efforts on campus and what I want to do is raise funds to send overseas.”

She then asks: “You know, do you think that’s OK … to call it that or what would you recommend?”

Bley mulls out loud: “It doesn’t have Barry University in there.”

But he then agrees that taking out the ISIS reference in the title might be better because of the terrorist connection.

The statement from the university said the news story is “categorically false.”

“It is immensely hurtful to our university community, to the Dominican Sisters of Adrian, Michigan, who founded and continue to sponsor Barry University, and to the international members of the Dominican Order who have suffered as a result of the violence created by ISIS.”

The school president continued: “Barry University does not and never will allow or authorize the formation of an ISIS-related humanitarian aid group on campus. There has been no formation of any such group at Barry University. No paper work requesting such an organization has ever been filed with the proper authorities at the university.”

She said the “images and video released were edited and spliced to unfairly represent the university and staff being featured.”

“It is reprehensible to think any organization would acquire video and edit in such a way as to denigrate the reputation of Barry University or its staff.”

Separately, the school contacted WND asking that the video be removed because it “may violate Florida law in that the subject employees were not aware they were being recorded and did not give consent.”

Project Veritas stood by its work.

“Project Veritas’ video recordings at Barry University were accomplished within the spirit and letter of the law. In Florida, where Barry University is located and where the recordings took place, it is perfectly legal to record an oral communication if a person does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy. This is defined in Fla. Stat. 934.02(2),” a group spokesman explained.

“In this instance, Project Veritas recorded its operation in an open-office atrium, where office doors were open, where people were passing by in close proximity, and Barry University administrators took no steps to secure their privacy, thus, the recording is legal because it meets both statutory and case law requirements.”

The statement continued: “See Fla. Stat. 934.03, Fla. Stat 934.02(2) which defines oral communications and the Florida Appeals Court’s interpretation of the law. See Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services v. Edwards, 654 So.2d 628 (Fla. App. 1st Dist 1995) Fla. Stat. 934.02(2): ‘Oral communication’ means any oral communication uttered by a person exhibiting an expectation that such communication is not subject to interception under circumstances justifying such expectation and does not mean any public oral communication uttered at a public meeting or any electronic communication.’”

Regarding the accusation that the video was spliced and edited, school officials could not be reached by WND immediately for comment. Nor could a comment be obtained on the claim the taping “may” be illegal.

But even its supporters weren’t buying the accusation of editing.

On the school website, Manny Santana wrote: “I understand your position and appreciate your response, but the fact is the video shows those on your staff that clearly might not share your same views out of political correctness. I truly hope that actions are taken to control and correct those staff members.”

And Mike Viall asked: “This video is NOT a representation of the people in the video? The ones agreeing to help Hamas fighters with flashlights and ‘care packages’? Please explain.”

A third, Doc Washburn, wrote: “The video clearly shows four of your employees recommending that your student should merely change the name of her proposed group to hide the fact that she was attempting to raise money for ISIS. Your denying the clear evidence is disappointing. As to your contention that the video was edited to try to paint a false impression of what your employees said, what will you do if O’Keefe releases unedited video? Be careful what you wish for.”

John Salzano wrote: “Sister Linda I understand that you are embarrassed by this video, and you should be, I am now embarrassed to say my daughter attends Barry University. If the video was spliced or not, it clearly shows there are some or many individuals in your administration that do not share our Catholic values. … Based on what we saw on the video some or many of your administrators are embracing moral relativism, this contradicts truth. I understand your school welcomes students and administrators from many faiths, and no faith, but they should all recognize that they are attending a Catholic college.”

In the video, Laura cites the U.S. State Department line of thought that terrorists need jobs and economic boosts to prevent them from becoming radicalized.

So can the club start?

“Yeah, we’re not here to limit people and their clubs,” Bley said, the video shows. “If there is a demand or a need, or an interest that students have to do this, we’re here to support that. So, but I would recommend maybe coming up with one or two other possible names just in case this one does not get through.”

O’Keefe said of the undercover clip in a written statement on his group’s website: “It is disturbing to see our nation’s university system festooned with professors and administrators that are sympathetic to ISIS.”

The group just a few days earlier released a video of a Cornell University assistant dean telling an undercover Project Veritas videographer it was OK by him to start a pro-ISIS club on that campus.

Joseph Scaffido, assistant dean of students for student activities, said then, as reported by WND: “The university is not going to look at different groups and say you’re not allowed to support that group because we don’t believe in them or something like that. I think it’s just the opposite. I think the university wants the entire community to understand what’s going on in all parts of the world.”

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2015/04/universit...uQsbjaDAqOW.99
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:02 PM
    Liked 6,673 Times in 3,698 Posts

not sure what the story is here.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:48 PM
    Liked 2,218 Times in 1,118 Posts

Premium Member

This, and the story they did at the other university (I can't remember which one), seem to show people that are too afraid to go against the PC police. These people probably think if they tell someone he or she can't start a pro-ISIS group they will get lambasted for suppressing free speech, hating on minorities, etc.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:02 PM
    Liked 6,673 Times in 3,698 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    This, and the story they did at the other university (I can't remember which one), seem to show people that are too afraid to go against the PC police. These people probably think if they tell someone he or she can't start a pro-ISIS group they will get lambasted for suppressing free speech, hating on minorities, etc.
    to me this is a pure setup. If the schools says you can't start a "humanitarian group" to help innocent muslims stuck in that mess then they are painted as bad people and they rip on the religion. If they say they can start the club then this catholic school is pro-isis.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 18,114 Times in 8,948 Posts

it's a private Catholic school, they can (and should) tell anyone wanting to do anything or say anything pro-ISIS to go fuck themselves. And then tell them about the loving example of Christ...after they go fuck themselves.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

6. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:57 PM
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts

Premium Member

Colleges have become a crazy place. Law schools aren't teaching rape law because it's too much of a trigger, you must use jazz hands instead of applause because its anxiety-inducing, free speech can only occur in a zone, guys basically can't have sex without fear of being accused of rape, students must avoid trigger subjects like racism, colonialism, and sexism, and a feminist/libertarian discussion on the Brown campus necessitated a "safe room" with cookies, coloring books, bubbles, Play-Doh, calming music, pillows, blankets and a video of frolicking puppies.

Then you get into banned words like illegal alien, crazy, insane, retarded, tranny, gay, gypped, fag, ghetto, and raghead, as well as phrases like, "I want to die," and "That test raped me."

Fraternities are chanting about hanging Blacks from a tree (why isn't the n-word banned, btw, but raghead is?), and now we're helping students create pro-ISIS clubs. What in fucking hell?

I thought it was bad that I was forced to sit through a class that told me only Whites could be racist. Campuses are insane now.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:59 PM
    Liked 7,838 Times in 4,574 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    it's a private Catholic school, they can (and should) tell anyone wanting to do anything or say anything pro-ISIS to go fuck themselves. And then tell them about the loving example of Christ...after they go fuck themselves.
    Btw,

Don't think I didn't notice that Trisha Paytas fan club comment...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:48 PM
    Liked 2,218 Times in 1,118 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Correction: 10 years ago a private Catholic School could do whatever they wanted. Now political correctness has seeped into everything, including private businesses. If you don't cater to the needs of everyone you are labeled a racist, a homophobe, a bigot, a sexist, etc.

Look at how people are reacting to a pizza place in Indiana that turned down catering a gay wedding:

http://www.tmz.com/2015/04/01/memori...e-gay-wedding/

Who the fuck gets pizza for their wedding anyway?
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:57 PM
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts

Premium Member

Correction: 10 years ago a private Catholic School could do whatever they wanted. Now political correctness has seeped into everything, including private businesses. If you don't cater to the needs of everyone you are labeled a racist, a homophobe, a bigot, a sexist, etc.

Look at how people are reacting to a pizza place in Indiana that turned down catering a gay wedding:

I danced this dance on here before. I'd imagine that the response would be that a private university of private club is different than a business open to the public.

The overwhelming point of view of the board, at least then, was that the public's right to your product or service supersedes a business owner's right to freedom of association or religion.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 18,114 Times in 8,948 Posts

I think a private institution is allowed to have different standards in comparison to a public business, but I just don't feel like getting into that argument on here for the gazillionth time.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!