Last Online

05.08.15 @ 01:28 AM
    Liked 620 Times in 379 Posts

Default April 1, 1985: The date Van Halen ended? [Greg Renoff says no]

What's the truth?

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/david...eft-van-halen/

How David Lee Roth Really Left Van Halen

by Greg Renoff April 1, 2015 10:21 AM

Like the histories of all great rock bands, Van Halen’s past includes some landmark dates. For example, on Feb. 10, 1978, Van Halen’s game-changing debut album was released. On May 29, 1983, Van Halen performed in front of 375,000 fans at the massive US Festival. And on April 1, 1985, singer David Lee Roth shocked the rock world by announcing that he was leaving Van Halen to pursue a solo career.

But as it turns out, this last event didn’t really happen on that date or transpire in that manner. With few notable exceptions, this mythical account of Roth’s exit has been presented as gospel truth (including, to be honest, this site), perhaps because the idea of Roth springing this news on April Fools’ Day makes for a great story.

While Roth did leave the band in 1985, nobody outside of the band’s inner circle knew what the future held for Roth and Van Halen on that April day. So here’s how the rock world really learned that David Lee Roth had left Van Halen.

Van Halen had barely concluded their most successful year when Diamond Dave announced that he’d be releasing Crazy From the Heat, a four-song solo EP of cover songs. In a reflection of the group’s internal tensions, Roth spoke frankly to the press about what his solo work augured for the future of Van Halen. In January 1985 he told Billboard, “Since my very first days in with the band 11 years ago, I have always had the feeling that one day I would wake up in a cold hotel, all the rooms would be empty and I would be stuck by a phone with a busy signal. From the first day. Nothing has changed.” The article’s headline? “Van Halen’s Roth: Maybe It’s Over.”

In the weeks that followed his EP’s release, he struck a more measured public tone. In February, the Indianapolis News quoted Roth as saying, “We’ll be going back in the studio and start arguing again and we all look forward to that. … We have a lot of respect for each other and get along quite well, actually.” Roth later added that even though the group hadn’t started recording, he’d “heard some great music coming out of Ed’s studio.”
    Behind the scenes, however, relations between Roth and the rest of the band had hit a nadir. Sometime in March, Roth and guitarist Eddie Van Halen met at Roth’s Pasadena mansion to discuss the future of the band. Although it’s unclear exactly what subjects they covered, it seems likely they talked about the timeline for a follow-up to 1984 and a subsequent tour. According to Roth, Eddie suggested that after years of grueling world tours, the quartet might support its next LP with a scaled-down schedule of stadium shows, something that Roth later termed a potential “ripoff” for fans.

A more contentious issue concerned Roth’s vision for his proposed Crazy From the Heat film, one that would feature Roth in the starring role. When Roth asked Eddie if he’d be willing to score the movie, Eddie declined. Van Halen told Rolling Stone in 1986 that at that point the discussion came to a grinding halt, with Roth declaring, “I can’t work with you guys anymore. I want to do my movie. Maybe when I’m done, we’ll get back together.” After a hug and some tears, the two parted.

Despite these irreconcilable differences, the public was none the wiser at this juncture that Van Halen might actually break up. Indeed, the first of April came and went without any public comment about the band’s status from Roth or any member of Van Halen.

Perhaps the first clear sense that Van Halen fans got that the band as they’d known it could come to an end came in the heat of the summer. On July 4, Rolling Stone reported that “Van Halen is on permanent hold. Eddie, who’s rumored to be scouting around for a new lead singer, is writing songs with Patty Smyth and planning to collaborate with Pete Townsend. As for David Lee Roth, he intends to pursue an acting career full time and is developing his own movie.”

Roth, at least when it came to making a definitive statement about the future of Van Halen, remained silent. Eddie, too, had yet to say anything about Van Halen’s lineup to the press.
    Then in mid-August, Eddie delivered the bad news in the pages of Rolling Stone. “The band as you know it is over,” he said. “Dave left to be a movie star.” Confirming that Roth had suggested to Eddie that the guitarist should compose music for Crazy From the Heat, Eddie added, “He even had the balls to ask if I’d write the score for him.” Eddie then made clear that he’d moved on. “I’m looking for a new lead singer … it’s weird that it’s over. Twelve years of my life putting up with his bulls—.”

At this point, the rock world knew the truth. Van Halen, a band that had risen to the pinnacle of rock success in 1984, had broken up...
    Rest of article:

Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 03:05 PM
    Liked 147 Times in 87 Posts

That is the truth. Kevin and Greg know there shit.

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

April 1 was the date. I remember it. Remember being in school that day. The article claims it was in the summer, which is B.S It definitely didn't happen during summer break.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Song

Secrets
    Last Online

11.01.17 @ 03:25 PM
    Liked 607 Times in 299 Posts

i don't remember this April 1, 1985 moment either. I remember hearing rumors and gossip all summer long that maybe they broke up. From what I remember it was in September at the 1985 MTV Awards when I got my confirmation. The little pre-awards show ramp up where the MTV veejays were interviewing people arriving and I remember Ed, Al, and Mike there getting interviewed with Hagar. That's when I knew it was true. I remember calling my buddy and saying "Hagar is in Van Halen now." (it was my such a bummer for me.)
    A new short film I made, please like/follow:
    http://facebook.com/umbrellashortfilm

6. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 892 Posts

For me it's one of those things like " September 11th " where you can remember everything about a specific moment in time. Or upon hearing the news about Elvis, John Lennon, or Micheal Jackson's deaths. Or when Mount Saint Helen's erupted. It was kind of a big deal at the time.

I have a very distinct memory of being in my friends living room with a few buddy's hanging out on the day of hearing the news. I remember exactly who was there, what we were doing, and parts of the conversation.....but for the life of me can't remember what day or month it was.

I know we weren't in school at the time it was a hot sunny day, maybe a long weekend or something. Perhaps afterschool I don't know for sure. Could've very well been summer. Maybe Memorial Day Weekend in the States. I think we might of heard the news on KISW radio station not sure.

I read the article this morning and am also wondering what the exact date was and where did this April 1 1985 come from that's been accepted as fact all these years. ( ??? )

Ideally, someone needs to find an old newspaper from 1985 that lists the news and has the date on it. I did a search on Google Newspapers but couldn't find anything quickly You need to know what your doing to find info in there or it takes forever.

Here's a Guitar World Interview with Billy Sheehan reprinted from July 1985. He talks about Van Halen but there's not a single indication of them being officially broken up in there at all. Granted, the interview could've been conducted over a month earlier than the July issue was published. But still, if the actual date was April 1 , you'd think there would be some mention of it.

http://www.guitarworld.com/bassist-b...orld-interview

Here's our interview with bassist Billy Sheehan from the July 1985 issue of Guitar World. The issue was a special edition, a tribute to Eddie Van Halen, and Sheehan discussed the secrets of Van Halen's playing style. The original story ran with the headline "Billy Sheehan's Bass-Eye View of Edward Van Halen: From One Hammer-on To Another," and the story started on page 78.

Click here to see the cover of the special Eddie Van Halen issue -- and all the Guitar World covers from 1985.

Billy Sheehan has probably received more worldwide press than any contemporary rock artist not on a major label.

In much of this coverage, Sheehan is referred to as "the Eddie Van Halen of bass," a title based on Sheehan's virtuosic command of the instrument, together with his ability to play fiery two-handed fretting moves -- a technique Van Halen brought to national attention with his band's debut album in 1978.

Since then, many guitarists have copied the double-fretting technique, but no bassist has been able to incorporate it into a personal repertoire with as much impact as Sheehan. And though Billy admits to being influenced by Eddie -- ever since Sheehan's band Talas toured the States with Van Halen in 1980, the two have remained in close contact -- Sheehan has been experimenting with two-handed fretting since 1974.

GUITAR WORLD: There's a controversy brewing as to whether you or Eddie began playing hammer-ons first.

As far as I know, we actually began playing them around the same time. But we both came up with it on our own. And it's by no means a new thing. I mean, in the 1700s, Paganini was playing hammer-ons on the violin. So to say who was first and who's best doesn't really matter. I recently saw an issue of Down Beat from the fifties that showed a photo of a guitarist playing hammer-ons. And right now a jazz guitarist named Stanley Jordan does two-hand over-the-neck tapping. But there's no "patents" and Ed Van Halen will admit that he doesn't own any technique. However, he did popularize hammering, and for that he deserves credit for shining a whole new light on electric guitar.

What makes him so great?

He eliminated a lot of the stuff between the guitar and the amp. He does have a lot of effects in his rig, but he doesn't rely on them. Ed uses his hands on the strings to get the sounds, and now a lot of the more advanced players have realized that they needn't worry so much about pedals and effects. They're concentrating more on just playing the guitar.

And there's other ways that Ed has had influence -- just the way he painted his guitar, for example -- a lot of little things like that. The total scope of his influence may be greater than any guitarist ever.

Even Hendrix?

In certain ways, yes! Not to take anything away from Jimi -- he's influenced me more than any other musician, not to mention the thousands of guitarists he's also influenced -- but Ed has literally gotten a whole generation of kids to go out and buy guitars. Not necessarily to play like him, but he's inspired them just to play. Ed reaches such a broad group of people. He's had a huge, huge effect on the guitar.

Eddie's playing has even stirred the emotions of fellow musicians.

Well, I think a lot of the "name" guitarists -- the same ones Ed has looked up to for years, since he was just starting out -- have developed a snotty attitude toward him. Because here's this new kid on the block coming and blowing all their doors off. Ed can bring out a lot of jealousy in people; it burns me up to see it happen. I remember reading in a recent magazine three different people in three different interviews all bagging Ed Van Halen. Saying things like, "I don't do that Ed Van Halen stuff." He's created so much controversy about the guitar. But he's so far ahead of everyone that emotionally he either inspires them to get better or gets them mad because they know they can't compete.

Because Eddie has brought a whole new era to guitar playing?

Right! I think either directly or indirectly Ed's playing has virtually influenced every other guitar player. Even guitarists who aren't into his playing go so far out of their way to avoid playing like him -- they're still being influenced by his presence.

And it's not just rock players. When Ed played "Spanish Fly," he used a classical guitar. I'm sure every classical guitar player who heard it was influenced by it. Because it's something that most classical guitarists have never done-with all those fingers on the neck-and with all that grace as well.

So it's more than simply technique that has made Eddie so influential.

Oh, definitely. You've got to be able to communicate your skills-that's entertainment. A lot of the great guitarists really haven't been able to communicate outside of their fellow musicians or guitar aficionados. But you look at a piece of music like "Jump" -- that sold more than the other guitar hero-types put together. When you hear an Ed Van Halen solo, you're not just wowed by technique. There are other solos that are faster and more burning -- and may even be more difficult to play -- but his solos still have the greatest impact. It's all a matter of style. One thing about Ed is that you can hear him play on anyone's guitar and you know it's him playing.

What immediately distinguishes his style?

His hands just naturally have a sound. Every guitarist has a particular sound -- some, of course, more obvious than others -- but since Ed is such a guitar playing junkie all he has to do is pick up a guitar and you know it's him. One reason Ed is such a strong player is because he almost never puts a guitar down. Some people may find this annoying, but in actuality it's an attribute. In fact, if you shake his hand, you 'll notice it's in the same shape it's in when it's on a guitar neck. It hasn’t been discussed too much, but your sound has a lot to do with the way your hands attack the instrument. Sometimes you can play so that you're using your strength to play the instrument; other times your hands are so much stronger than it takes to play the instrument -- from playing so much -- that the instrument requires a very easy touch to play, even though you 're actually pushing down hard by other musicians standards. Ed 's hands are so strong because he can also play bass, drums and keyboards, all of which are good hand exercises.

Did you have any private jams with Eddie when Talas toured the States with Van Halen in 1980?

We really haven't jammed as much as we've talked about playing and about what he is to his band and what his playing means to other people. This has as much to do with his playing and sound as his actual playing, because his playing is a reflection of the kind of person he is. But we did fool around on each others instruments and toss ideas back and forth.

What did you learn from him?

Just variations on things. For example, I've done hammer-ons for a long time, but not some of his moves. And by learning some of his moves, I expanded my moves into more moves.

Did Eddie learn anything from you?

I hope so! I definitely showed him the both hands over-the-neck tapping technique that he uses his flip-up guitar for now. I don't think he was doing it prior to when I showed it to him in 1980. But then again, he did with that what I did with his techniques-he took it a lot further and in a different direction than I had initially taken it or had shown him. I haven't really discussed with him what he took from me or what I took from him. The two-hand over-the-neck thing he does now is completely unique.

You've often been quoted as saying that what initially inspired your two-handed fretting technique was seeing Billy Gibbons in 1974 do something in a similar vein. Do you know what started Eddie playing this way?

I don't think we've discussed it. As with any player, it's just a natural evolution. You 're able to get more notes than your hands can normally play in the normal position. It's really a keyboard-like technique applied to a fretted instrument. I don't play keyboards, but he does; that may be how he came up with it.

Is Van Halen the right band for Eddie?

By having David Lee Roth in the band - it is! David and Ed, both live and in the studio, are a perfect match. They're different from one another and, after all, opposites attract. As a personality, David is very smart, broad and extroverted, whereas Ed is a bit more reclusive and tends to turn inward on himself and the guitar. On stage, though, they're both pretty much extroverts. Unfortunately, most people don't look up to Ed's brother Alex [drummer] and Michael [Anthony, bassist] very much. I would like to see them get more recognition and play better together.

But a lot of the new bands don't realize that the Van Halen band paved the way for the whole heavy metal resurgence. It may have happened regardless, but I don't think it would have had the same impact. I remember back in '77 when the whole world was about to go disco and synthesizer, Van Halen came out and played hard, heavy guitar music. The critics may have called it "dinosaur rock," but the attitude of Van Halen is and always has been to do exactly what they want. And the great thing about Van Halen is they could care less about who's on their side and who's not.

I know from when Ed will play me a tune over the phone, their goal is not to write a hit by popular standards, but instead to just create good music that the band enjoys playing. When the radio picks up on it, then it becomes a hit. That's exactly what a rock band should aspire to-create your own standards and live up to them. And Van Halen has done this with staggering success.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 04.01.15 at 08:07 PM.
    " On a scale that ranges from deep dark depression to rip roaring fun ... most people idle between pissed off ...and not too pissed off " DLR 1997

" I am the danger ... I am the one who knocks " Walter White 2011

8. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    For me it's one of those things like " September 11th " where you can remember everything about a specific moment in time. Or upon hearing the news about Elvis, John Lennon, or Micheal Jackson's deaths. Or when Mount Saint Helen's erupted. It was kind of a big deal at the time.

I have a very distinct memory of being in my friends living room with a few buddy's hanging out on the day of hearing the news. I remember exactly who was there, what we were doing, and parts of the conversation.....but for the life of me can't remember what day or month it was.

I know we weren't in school at the time it was a hot sunny day, maybe a long weekend or something. Perhaps afterschool I don't know for sure. Could've very well been summer. Maybe Memorial Day Weekend in the States. I think we might of heard the news on KISW radio station not sure.

I read the article this morning and am also wondering what the exact date was and where did this April 1 1985 come from that's been accepted as fact all these years. ( ??? )

Ideally, someone needs to find an old newspaper from 1985 that lists the news and has the date on it. I did a search on Google Newspapers but couldn't find anything quickly You need to know what your doing to find info in there or it takes forever.
    Interesting.

Ran across this funny tidbit while looking at 1985 articles. People Magazine, May 13, 1985, article on Madonna:

Her boy for now is actor Sean Penn, 24. "She's really serious about him and sees it could be a lot easier for her if she had some permanent anchor in her private life," says a friend. Still, that doesn't stop her from playfully leaving port on occasion. When she invited singer David Lee Roth to attend her L.A. party, he asked, "Should I bring a date or will I be busy later?" Madonna's reply: "Sure, bring a date. We can all do something."
    http://www.people.com/people/archive...090668,00.html

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

The split mentioned in Billboard, August 10th, 1985:

https://books.google.com/books?id=6i...20roth&f=false

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

April 8th, 1985 there was an Off the Record Special w/ DLR. Split unknown at the time:

https://books.google.com/books?id=8S...20roth&f=false

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 892 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ExpandedConsciousness View Post
    Interesting.

Ran across this funny tidbit while looking at 1985 articles. People Magazine, May 13, 1985, article on Madonna

Ha - Whenever I search for something almost always coincidentally find something else worthwhile instead.

I think those pics are from a nightclub in NYC named Cliff or Area when Madonna threw DLR a birthday party in 1984.

Quote Originally Posted by ExpandedConsciousness View Post
    The split mentioned in Billboard, August 10th, 1985:

https://books.google.com/books?id=6i...20roth&f=false

Ok so that's that. I knew the author wouldn't write an article like that without being correct.

Now the big question is why hasn't this come up before after all these years.
    " On a scale that ranges from deep dark depression to rip roaring fun ... most people idle between pissed off ...and not too pissed off " DLR 1997

" I am the danger ... I am the one who knocks " Walter White 2011

15. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

Perhaps.

However, it still could have been reported on radio and rumored on April 1st. Fits the timeline of when Ed went to Dave's house to have the final talk. Yet, not made official until all the lawyers did the paperwork over the summer. The question is when was it known to the public, not when it was made official and able to be announced by an official and important industry publication like Billboard.

Greg still hasn't linked to his Ultimate Classic Rock article on his Facebook page, which is fishy. Could the debunking itself be the April Fool's Day joke? Hmmm...

https://www.facebook.com/vanhalenrising?fref=nf

Last edited by ExpandedConsciousness; 04.01.15 at 09:58 PM.

Last Online

Van Halen Encyclopedia, p. 10:

4/01 David Lee Roth leaves Van Halen (unofficially on April Fool's Day).
    http://www.lulu.com/items/volume_64/...nd_Edition.pdf

This supports the unofficial - official distinction: April 1st and August.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:39 AM
    Liked 1,605 Times in 742 Posts

Premium Member

From the Billy Sheehan interview:

Well, I think a lot of the "name" guitarists -- the same ones Ed has looked up to for years, since he was just starting out -- have developed a snotty attitude toward him. Because here's this new kid on the block coming and blowing all their doors off. Ed can bring out a lot of jealousy in people; it burns me up to see it happen. I remember reading in a recent magazine three different people in three different interviews all bagging Ed Van Halen. Saying things like, "I don't do that Ed Van Halen stuff." He's created so much controversy about the guitar. But he's so far ahead of everyone that emotionally he either inspires them to get better or gets them mad because they know they can't compete.

1000% spot on with his answer is Billy.
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

19. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie5150 View Post
    From the Billy Sheehan interview:

1000% spot on with his answer is Billy.
    Most have praised him:

"I think Eddie Van Halen is just a fantastic guitarist."- Ted Nugent 1979.

"I think I'm quite interested in Eddie Van Halen. He plays funny, and I like that. I think it's original...He uses a tremolo arm and has his own runs and styles, and it's good. I like the way he has chosen. It's really flashy."
    -Michael Schenker 1981.

"Right now Eddie Van Halen is the top. It seems like every kid wants to learn his licks. He's right up there where Clapton was years ago."
    -Leslie West 1980.

"There are many great players. Eddie Van Halen is great-I dont want to get near competing with people like him."-Randy Rhoads 1981.

"I always thought Edward was great. He's a fantastic guitar player." -- Allan Holdsworth

"What a wonderful musician...absolutely the pinnacle of guitar playing in our lifetime." -- Brian May

"Without a doubt, Eddie Van Halen is the greatest guitar player who has ever lived." -- Zakk Wylde

"Eddie's got the best right hand in the business, drop-dead timing and tone for days. He's a master guitarist and a great songwriter. I will always be a big fan of his playing." -Joe Satriani

"I was 12 years old when I heard the first VH album. If I live to be 100, I don't think I'll ever be blown away like that again. Then I saw them live in '79 on the second album tour. It was absolutely life changing." -Paul Gilbert

"EVH, by far, is the most innovative and bad-*bleeped* guitar player to date, and has managed to harness this magic for over 25 years. To this day, I still turn to my VH records for ideas and inspiration. Long live Edward Van Halen!!" -"Dimebag" Darrell Abbott

"Edward raised the bar on rock guitar playing. Actually, he most certainly reinvented it and that happens only three or four times a century. When a person plays an instrument, they wear their personality on their sleeve. There has always been an inspired yet intimate simplicity to Edward's musical expressions, not to mention a little iron ore, too." -Steve Vai

"Genius? This record is pretty much the record that made me want to buy a Marshall amp. It's
    Eddie, man. Whoever just thinks he was a solo player and only inspired a generation to solo
    missed the whole light on what Eddie's all about.-Nuno Bettencourt on Fair Warning 1992.

"I met Eddie at the Les Paul Tribute show years ago (1987) and he seemed like a very nice young man. I'm often asked what I think about guitarists outside the world of blues, you know, far as rock players like Jimi Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen. I've always believed that Jimi, while he was alive, became the number one rock 'n' roll guitarist of all time. Having said that, I must also say that I believe Eddie is a close second. After Jimi died, that's when my opinion went to Eric Clapton as the number one guy. Next to Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton, I can't think of too many people who've done more for rock guitar than Eddie Van Halen." -B.B. King

"You hear so much about Zeppelin, AC/DC, Kiss, Pink Floyd, and other old bands like that (rightfully so), but to me, far above them all was Van Halen (mainly the first six albums). Doesn't anyone remember how they completely made other bands look like wimps? And as for Eddie, no guitar player since him has even come close to touching his little toe. Everything about his playing was unique, mind-blowing, and full of emotion." -Jason Becker

"I was immediately impressed with his smooth, musical instincts when we were playing together. He seemed to pick supporting parts that were solid, simple, but had some rhythmic variation. When he took a solo, it was always fluid and natural. When we played our first gig, he invited us to his home to hang out from soundcheck until gig time. He and his wife were very gracious. I particularly like playing with very talented people, and he has tons of talent!" -Steve Morse

"If you had a guitar poll, I'd put Edward Van Halen in the first five slots and then the next five would start opening up." -Billy Gibbons

"I admire Eddie Van Halen and Steve Lukather, but they might blow me away quite easily if we were to jam together." -Eric Clapton

"These days I don't look to other people with the objective of trying to steal their licks, although I've got no objections to stealing them if that seems like a good idea. I'm sure that I'm still influenced by Mark Knopfler and Eddie Van Halen as well......I can't play like Eddie Van Halen. I wish I could. I sat down to try some of those ideas and can't do it. I don't know if I could ever get any of that stuff together. Sometimes I think I should work at the guitar more." -David Gilmour

"Eddie Van Halen was probably the most influential." -Tony Iommi

"What draws people to the instrument is the love for guitar players that play a certain way. I mean, even though it wasn't intentional, it was hard to avoid copying Eddie Van Halen. He was basically the *bleep* back then." -Tom Morello

"Eddie brought tapping to the forefront, and I still think he was one of the tastiest players doing it." -Jeff Beck

"I do think Van Halen reinvented the guitar...he's an excellent musician, a shrewd guitarist, and as a person he is wonderful." -Richie Blackmore

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

"I never saw Eddie playing live with Van Halen until the very end of Van Halen with Sammy Hagar, so I never saw the original but I heard the records, and he was just awesome, he was great. I hope his health is doing better, I don't know what's going on with that, but he rewrote the book, kind of like Hendrix and Clapton. He was the next guy to actually turn it all around." -Eric Johnson

"I definately didn't start thinking about doing any two-handed tapping until after I heard
    Van Halen. His influence is way beyond just tapping, but it is the most obvious thing
    that he brought to the guitar culture. He's just totally musical."-Vernon Reid 1992.

"I had a band called White Horse who played with Van Halen a few times at Gazzarri's. Ed was always great...my mouth would fall open." -Mick Mars

"I was like *bleep*, what am I gonna do now? To see everything you thought you knew about guitar playing change right before your eyes, at your very own show. Talk about depressed. But I knew I had to learn from this guy. He was doing something new, and I had to get with the program if I ever stood a chance of competing." -George Lynch

"People always think the guitar is reaching its limits. They thought guitar music was stagnating in the late 70's, and then Eddie Van Halen comes in and changes everything. For my money, Eddie was the first significant new kid on the block. Very dazzling. And I think he played a vital role in keeping kids interested, because they could look up to this cheeky little guy with a big smile. He flew the flag well, I think." -Jimmy Page

"No one can play guitar like Eddie. He took everything that went before him and said, I've heard all that before. And then introduced all the finger-tapping stuff that he does. And not only is he a great player, he's a great showman, and that's what it's all about." -Joe Perry

"When I heard the first Van Halen album, I couldn't believe how great the guitar playing was--and I heard that album at a point when I didn't like any of the new guitar players. I mean, he totally changed the whole guitar field--and he's still as great now as he's ever been. I would love to jam with him." -Yngwie J. Malmsteen

"You hear so much about Zeppelin, AC/DC, Kiss, Pink Floyd, and other old bands like that (rightfully so), but to me, far above them all was Van Halen (mainly the first six albums). Doesn't anyone remember how they completely made other bands look like wimps? And as for Eddie, no guitar player since him has even come close to touching his little toe. Everything about his playing was unique, mind-blowing, and full of emotion." -Jason Becker

21. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

The Palm Beach Post - June 21, 1985:

Scroll down to "Notable News":

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...0,654496&hl=en

23. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 2,028 Times in 1,265 Posts

Whatever day it was I'd rather not think about it.