Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 02:30 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Default I'm kind of getting ready for singer #4

I love Dave, but if he just cannot sing more in his lower voice and continue to try to be 1984 Dave the band really needs to have a meeting. I feel for the man as he still has a tremendous wit about him and lyrically I bet he can still amaze.
    It's just that the band is really on fire now and maybe as tight as they have ever been and I'd kind of hate to see that go to waste.

I am fine with Wolfgang now and he does great on his playing and can hold his own vocally as well. Is he Mike vocally now? No, but if playing him is what makes Ed happy then I'm all for it.

Sam isn't really an option for me anymore because it would only happen with Mike anyways and that just isn't likely to happen.

Maybe with Wolf's outside VH friends/musicians, some unexpected/unknown singer emerges down the road and blows all our minds and can pull off the classics from both the Sam and Dave eras as well as create another album or two. They did sort of have that with Gary.

Or do what Eddie talked about doing pre Hagar by using different singers?
    Last edited by Eddymon; 03.31.15 at 12:14 PM.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:58 PM
    Liked 11,728 Times in 6,498 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eddymon View Post
    I love Dave, but if he just cannot sing more in his lower voice and continue to try to be 1984 Dave the band really needs to have a meeting. I feel for the man as he still has a tremendous wit about him and lyrically I bet he can still amaze.
    It's just that the band is really on fire now and maybe as tight as they have ever been and I'd kind of hate to see that go to waste.

I am fine with Wolfgang now and he does great on his playing and can hold his own vocally as well. Is he Mike vocally now? No, but if playing him is what makes Ed happy then I'm all for it.

Sam isn't really an option for me anymore because it would only happen with Mike anyways and that just isn't likely to happen.

Maybe with Wolf's outside VH friends/musicians, some unexpected/unknown singer emerges down the road and blows all our minds and can pull off the classics from both the Sam and Dave eras as well as create another album or two. They did sort of have that with Gary.

Or do what Eddie talked about doing pre Hagar by using different singers?

Some of you just don't get it, huh? THIS IS IT FOLKS.

"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

3. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:21 PM
    Liked 695 Times in 281 Posts

Dave sounds great on ADKOT, and he's fine on the new live album.

So I'm not ready to abandon ship with him just yet. Especially if the band has ANY plans to record new material, which I would want to be with Dave or Sam or even Gary. Like you said, Sam likely won't come without Mike, and Gary wouldn't come for more than a one off, so that leaves Dave.

And like I said, studio Dave is great. He can sing a thing 30 times, or one word at a time if he likes, and they can piece it all together into something awesome with protools.

As for live Dave, well, like I said he's passable. And after nearly 40 years, passable is good enough for me.

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:57 PM
    Liked 7,612 Times in 3,991 Posts

It's a dilemma for me, because i've only been hardcore/diehard for the classic era.
    I lost interest post 1984 & came back around 96 (loved the two new Dave era tracks, btw,
    at that time).

But i understand your point & observations.

Watching Edward, Alex & Wolf perform last night, they create an immense trio.
    They are all playing on point & obviously have a deep love of rehearsing/jamming.

But then Roth interjects, and yeah, it can be painful to listen to.

He's a fucking trooper, he is trying, but his sell by date seems to have long passed.
    He's a legend, he's a GOD on those first six albums, but all the hard living, partying &
    kicking ass onstage, has caught up with him.

I'd love to see Ed, Al & Wolf as a trio, or with a different singer, but not under the
    classic VH umbrella.

I want to hear more of what i heard in that great "Panama" jam.
    The skill level of all three is so high, i'd love to see them create without
    barriers.

Do something fresh & new.

Their playing ability deserves it, imo.

7. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,106 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Roth is the man but an instrumental album would be awesome !!!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

9. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Liked 1,882 Times in 1,099 Posts

VAN HALEN can only work with 1 of 2 people as the singer/frontman.

One of them won't come back without his buddy who Eddie hates (and to be honest with you Ed's probably not to fond of the singer either)

one of them is in the band now and no one has made any indication that it will change.

that's how it is.

unless something very bad happens between Ed and Dave, Dave is the guy for the immediate future. Personally I don't think Ed and Dave communicate on a personal level very often so that keeps things cool between them. They have a professional relationship and they work within that-THAT IS JUST MY OPINION.

Unless Dave goes into full 1984 "Diamond Dave" mode he should be fine.

Last Online

12.09.17 @ 06:02 PM
    Liked 720 Times in 290 Posts

I'm listening to the live album all day. Dave can sing. "Women in Love" is awesome. "Pretty Woman" is awesome. "Romeo Delight" is awesome. If he just stays in his range, he is fine. If someone can just sit him down (yeah right) and explain this before the tour, everything will be fine. Yes, I am an optimist. That said, there's not going to be another singer. Ed's legacy is the first 6 albums. Sam is a phenomenal singer, and they made some great albums together, but 78-84 is Edward Van Halen's legacy, end of discussion. These tunes are what he is riding out into the sunset on.
    https://twitter.com/kingslevel1
    New EP "Awakening" drops on 122117
    Pre-order now on iTunes, Amazon, Google

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

14. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 02:30 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

I didn't mean to suggest I WANT Dave to go, just he needs to sing lower and tone down the act and focus more on the songs.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

little guitars
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 05:49 PM
    Liked 45 Times in 23 Posts

He can do it, just do it like 2007 and that would be perfect.
    But he keeps going higher, he loves to do that and put all that your filthy little mouth stuff.
    He can still do the classic scream as far as he tries ! He can still sing on his classic range !
    He needs to LISTEN and LISTEN ADVICE, not YES MEN around him telling how cool it was.
    I Wish i could be near him to tell him everything, i have been studying Roth's voice for years
    and i can even do all of his old tricks, he needs to get the raspiness back and stay low....cut the "go go go 1994 stuff" f
    FOREVER !

17. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

09.28.17 @ 10:23 AM
    Liked 140 Times in 57 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    I

I'd love to see Ed, Al & Wolf as a trio, or with a different singer, but not under the
    classic VH umbrella.

I want to hear more of what i heard in that great "Panama" jam.
    The skill level of all three is so high, i'd love to see them create without
    barriers.

Do something fresh & new.
    I think that is exactly what Wolf's "solo" album is going to be. I suspect this is the last tour with DLR. It's no easy task to try and sell songs originally written by young people for young people as a 60+ year old. This is particularly true of VH's brand of music. Unlike say the Eagles, a vast majority of it is high-energy "taking whiskey to the party tonight" music. It's tough to sing those songs with 100% conviction 30 years later.

I'm all for nostalgia, but I'm also ready for something new and fresh outside the boundaries of what is expected of Van Halen. I'm going to enjoy this tour, and then I'm hoping that the next iteration is the trio (either instrumentally or with guest singers - DLR can even be one of the guests) proving they can do much more than just trot out the same package of hits every 3 years.
    ~Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.~

Mark Twain

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,297 Times in 3,167 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Cheddy, you need a psyc eval. They're fucking 60 years old.

Next big thing for them is gonna be spokesmen for depends.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:18 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

No thanks, I want Dave, spotty vocals and all. No Sam, no 4th singer. If it does not work with Dave then just fucking retire. I thought Dave was good last night. The band sounds better than ever. If Dave can stay away from the higher register and stick to the original vocal melodies he wrote then he would be terrific.

21. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 02:58 PM
    Liked 6,815 Times in 3,564 Posts

Premium Member

I didn't mean to suggest I WANT Dave to go, just he needs to sing lower and tone down the act and focus more on the songs.
    Not like there isn't twenty other threads for your stunted opinion. Now there are twenty one.

23. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:58 PM
    Liked 11,728 Times in 6,498 Posts

Premium Member

Did you read your post?
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

25. The Following 2 Members Like This Post: